Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection launches October 31

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by PasokonDeacon, Oct 23, 2017.

1. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Gematsu got the PR today. It's going up on Halloween for $30 with 10%-off launch discount.

I don't agree with setting the price $10 higher than Xanadu Next. $25 like Ys Seven looks a lot less threatening to buyers, especially since we're coming upon sale season (during Halloween itself!) and this game's just not going to get anywhere near the coverage and brand awareness of an Ys or Trails release. Maybe there's a piece of the puzzle XSEED can't reveal wrt marketing and some more surprises, but there's not much encouraging about this announcement.

Personally, I wouldn't at all mind a week's delay if that improves release timing. I'm obviously going to get the game ASAP after the long wait, yet I want this release to do well if that improves chances of XSEED localizing Dinosaur Resurrection or another Falcom PC game later on.

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Man, why you always gotta be such a party pooper? ;)

Halloween is the perfect time to release the game, given its Halloween-appropriate themes, and we really struggled to get it ready for a Halloween release so it didn't fall within the quagmire that is the pre-holiday season. Releasing anytime in November or December would've been much worse for this game than releasing on Halloween.

As for the price, please do consider the game's length, the amount of programming effort that went into it (which is much more than Xanadu Next, as Zwei II proved a far more complicated coding project), and the fact that we had to do voice-recording for it, and even recorded 2,000+ extra lines that weren't in the original Japanese. It was just a much more costly game to work on than Xanadu Next!

You definitely are getting bang for your buck with this one, and I think/hope that people will be willing to give it a go, as $30 (minus $3 at launch) is a total steal for what all you get.

So yeah... be excited, people! This game is freaking awesome!

-Tom

3. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Wait, is this a Halloween themed game?

4. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Not exactly, but the main female protagonist is a vampire princess who makes the main male protagonist her servant by way of vampiric biting, and there are also a ton of other Halloweeny characters and enemies throughout, including multiple types of vampires, werewolves, zombies, and even a witch (complete with a Halloween-style ghost on the tip of her hat). And plenty of settings to match, with an ethereal vampire castle being one of the game's central locations.

So while it's not specifically a Halloween-themed game, it's got a lot of Halloween-appropriate mood and atmosphere to it.

-Tom

5. DustyStarr

Thanks. While I love specifically Halloween themed STUFFS, this still sounds up my alley, like 'horror' themed but not horror, which is fun. I assume it's a Steam game or is it getting a console release? I am totally not on the ball with Falcom releases. X3

6. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Considering Steam sales have been increasingly disappointing, I don't think it's going to be too much of an issue but the game definitely won't end up on the front page with all that activity.

7. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Steam, GOG, and Humble. No console version exists -- this was Falcom's last ever PC-exclusive title.

-Tom

8. DustyStarr

Coolio. I can actually play PC games now and can stream them to my TV anyways, so less of an issue. Can you use the PS4 controller with it, either in Big Picture Mode or normally?

9. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Oh, of course! Full controller support, tested with a wide variety of controllers, PS4 included.

-Tom

10. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

I'm definitely picking up the game myself on launch since I've been excited for it since E3 (It's a classic Falcom game, what's not to love?), but what additions are there to this version of the game compared to the vanilla PC version of Zwei II Plus that Falcom released?

Edit: Aside from the extra voiced lines that you mentioned.

11. DustyStarr

Wait... is this game a sequel? Do I need to have played anything first?

12. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

The usual PC upgrades: better support for modern systems, more resolution options, Steam achievements, etc. No new features or anything -- just better options for modern PCs.

Yes, this is Zwei II+. But no, you don't have to have played the original Zwei first -- the Zwei games are even more standalone than the Ys games, since not only do the two of them tell standalone stories, they also take place on different continents and star different protagonists. The stories are related, but no more so than the stories of your average Ys games are related to one another.

-Tom

13. DustyStarr

I see... good to know, but now I want to play Zwei one too, grr. X3 Is Zwei itself, taking the name in mind, a sequel series to something else?

14. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Only reason we skipped the first Zwei is because that game runs DirectX 5 and the IndeoR video codec, and has some of its core gameplay offerings tied to unlockable desktop apps that run separately from the game. Meaning getting it running on modern systems is... a challenge, to say the least. ;)

Contrary to popular belief, though, the fact that we skipped over it doesn't mean it has no hope of ever being released in English. It just means it's not in the cards right now. We'd love to bring it to you guys sometime in the future, though, once we've worked out how the hell to do so! Heheh.

And no, this is not a sequel series to anything else. The name refers to the fact that you always control two characters at once... and was also chosen by Falcom because it begins with Z, and they were hoping this would be their next big IP after Xanadu and Ys.

-Tom

15. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

How feasible would it be to increase the launch-week discount, then, in order to fit in better with Halloween sales time? For some of us, the base price isn't a problem (the game's value speaks for itself), but I just don't know about the optics of using the same discount every time. Playing to Steam purchase psychology matters, and I'm sure Cold Steel PC will sell a lot better at half-off later on.

I'm fully supportive of the release despite my concerns. The extra VA matters for a game with as little original VA as this, but it might not have the same appeal as Cold Steel PC's additions did (since missing/inconsistent VA was far more noticeable in that game). And I also think the price reflects how long it's been worked on...I hate calling this a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation, but it's not the last one XSEED's dealt with as best as they can.

16. DustyStarr

Oh, I didn't even know you guys did not bring the original Zwei over, or I forgot, but that makes it easier on me if anything. X3 So many Falcom games to play already.

And that's neat! That's a fun little reason, never really paid attention to the whole XYZ thing. Thanks for the info. :3 Hope it is a successful launch!

17. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Member

Excellent new. I was wondering when we were going to hear about a release date, so this makes my day. Was holding back on using more of my steam wallet to make sure I had enough for this game.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but what else do you guys have on your plate for releases (those that have been announced, obviously you can't say anything that has yet been made public)? The only two that I can think of Cold Steel II, and Sakuna of Rice and Ruin, both which are for next year.

18. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Member

I'll be picking this up on release day, but sadly it'll be going into my backlog. Mario Odyssey is taking priority over anything else at the end of the month.

19. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Also Shantae: Half-Genie Hero on physical Switch, and the DLC content for Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. But other than that, all of the other titles on our plate (and there are a considerable number!) remain unannounced at the present time. Including literally everything I've been working on. ;)

-Tom

Omage_X likes this.
  20. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Member

I should look into getting Story of Seasons, but I have so many other games I don't know if I want to add even more. Still, look forward to what else you have to bring in the future, and hope we can get announcements on some more games in the near future. Don't know enough about games out only in Japan to even guess what games you may be working on (outside of trails).