Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection announced for E3!

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by Wyrdwad, Jun 3, 2017.

1. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

Hmm, that's interesting. I expected Zwei II to come along first since it got announced way earlier. But I'm guessing it's going to piggyback on the other Falcom games that just came out.

"From Falcom, the acclaimed developer of Ys and Trails of Cold Steel, comes the next great adventure: Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection!"

I like it! ;)

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

You know, I replayed the first one recently, and I gotta say, it holds up a lot better than I remembered. It is different in a lot of ways, but also very similar in a lot of others. Between the two, I'd say Zwei 2 has the better story, better overall cast of characters, better weapons and spells, and more varied dungeon designs, while Zwei 1 has better writing (it's possibly the most legitimately funny game I've ever played), better music, better minigames (and more of them), better secrets, and a better flow to its dungeons. Graphically, the two are impossible to compare, but both hold up extremely well -- Zwei 1 has some of the prettiest, most colorful 2D you'll ever see, while Zwei 2 has far and away the best 3D graphics and animation Falcom has ever featured in any of their games IMHO (and it's just as beautiful and colorful as Zwei 1's 2D art).

Both games feature the food leveling system, as well as dungeon-crawler-esque dungeons that are typically split into three-floor segments and rated with a recommended completion level (which is user alterable with the right item). Both games also feature action-based combat where you play as a male physical fighter, a female magic-user, and a pet (though Zwei 2 has a much wider variety of pets, and allows you to switch pets at will during gameplay). Zwei 2 allows for jumping, giving it limited platforming elements; however, Zwei 1 features the ability to knock enemies into the air when you score a critical hit, allowing you to air-juggle them to death and build a combo more easily. Though weapon- and magic-wise, Zwei 2's combat is definitely much more robust, with Ragna's "anchor gear" weapon being configurable to allow things like grabbing enemies and throwing them into other enemies, setting enemies on fire, or even flying around on your weapon like it's some kind of rocket-powered hoverboard. Pokkle's katar in Zwei 1, on the other hand, is basically JUST a physical weapon -- you can add elemental magic to it, but the way you use it never changes. Similarly, while Pipiro's magic in Zwei 1 is actually pretty robust in and of itself (firing at different speeds, in different spread patterns, etc.), Alwen's magic in Zwei 2 is more dynamic, with things like a fireball that you can guide through the air with your movements, or a whirlwind that actually sucks enemies in and stun-locks them.

Two things I will absolutely give Zwei 1, though, is that it's a much more challenging game than Zwei 2, and there are a lot more hidden secrets to find in it than in Zwei 2.

So in the end... both games are awesome in their own way, and if we ever do release Zwei 1, I strongly urge everyone to give it a try, as it really can hold its own even after all these years, and even after playing Zwei 2. I do fear that a lot of people might see it as a "lesser" game, since Zwei 2 expanded upon most of the features Zwei 1 introduced, but there's an undeniable charm to Zwei 1 that I think gives it a slight edge over even its own sequel in some regards.

As of right now, however, all I can say about Zwei 1 is that we (and I in particular) would love to bring it to the Western world, as it absolutely deserves to be played and enjoyed. Like Zwei 2, it's a lost Falcom classic in a lot of ways, and really isn't a game to be missed IMHO.

-Tom

3. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

So, now that Ys Seven is out, when does the Zwei II media blitz start?

4. Wyrdwad

Good question! We're deep into QA right now, so... soon, hopefully? I guess just stay tuned!

-Tom

5. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Might try and get this day one. Couldn't justify Ys Seven right now and I'll most likely put off getting VIII too.

Zwei and Cold Steel 2 (assuming it makes it) might be my only game purchases for the rest of the year that aren't already paid for.

6. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

Is it still scheduled for a Summer release? 'Cause there's only a few weeks of Summer left.

7. Wyrdwad

I'll, uh, get back to you on that. ;)

We're trying! That's all I can really say right now.

-Tom

8. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

So I guess this will be pushed back a couple of weeks? There's only one more week of summer...

9. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Yeah that's my guess. :p

10. Schtolteheim

Schtolteheim New Member

Soon™, presumably. :p

11. Wyrdwad

Basically this, yes. ;)

Realistically... the game is still in QA, and definitely not release-ready just yet. But officially, we haven't changed our release timeframe.

I'll post here with any official status updates, though, so no worries! Sorry for the radio silence thus far.

-Tom

12. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

I hope this game doesn't end up suffering the same fate as Xanadu Next.

13. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I don't have high hopes if only because I never see the game mentioned anywhere but here and XSEED's twitter every once in a while. It just doesn't feel like there is much anticipation for this one. Just as far as Falcom games go it seems like people are a lot more interested in Ys VIII since it is releasing now, and CS3 due to the Japanese release and English PC ports of the first two (and apparently PS4 ports as well?).

14. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

The game really should have more buzz because it's good. Hopefully when it's close to being ready for release there will be more from XSEED to draw attention to it.

15. Wyrdwad

There will be. We intend to push this one hard! It just isn't ready for it yet.

Trust!

-Tom