Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection announced for E3!

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by Wyrdwad, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I'd extend that to 2008, if only because Zwei II. ;) And if we're counting non-PC, I'd extend all the way through 2009/2010, too, because of Brandish: The Dark Revenant, Vantage Master Portable, Ys Seven, etc. Hell, I'd even take it into 2011 for Nayuta no Kiseki -- I've spoken harshly of that game's story in the past, but as a GAME, it really is a spectacular experience.

The aughts were definitely Falcom's golden years, though. That's the decade that made me a Falcom fanboy, more than any other.

-Tom

2. Clessy

Clessy Member

I'll agree with all that minus ys7. Ys7 was the push into that mass appeal modern day falcom. Theres a huge difference between anything before it. You can instantly tell they're aiming for a different audience. While I still think Falcom makes great games, I don't think they make master pieces anymore because they're making compromises to sell more units and become a bigger company. They've pretty much sold out but again I still enjoy their games, I just don't think they're the company they once were.

3. Wyrdwad

See, I disagree. But I think we've discussed that already. ;)

To me, though, Ys Seven still feels like old-school Falcom. Yes, there's a party system now, but it's functionally almost no different than switching swords, bracelets, or artifacts -- you're just switching people now instead. Gameplay-wise, it's just as tight and well-designed as any previous Ys game (minus the boss battles, which are admittedly a bit less memorable than in the previous trilogy of games), and it even uses the weapon skill system from Xanadu Next.

I do think things have gone more "mass-market appeal" after Ys Seven to an extent... but Ys Seven still feels very "classic Falcom" to me, and remains one of my favorite games in the entire series.

-Tom

4. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

I still got the older Falcom-feel from Ys Seven. I agree, switching characters may as well have been artifacts, it was smooth and didn't hinder the experience at all.

5. Wyrdwad

Yep. That said, I do get where Clessy's coming from, as Falcom games did go through a certain shift in their presentation and feel in the early 2010s. But to me, the game that defines that shift is Nayuta no Kiseki in 2011 -- every game released before that has the "classic Falcom feel" to me, and every game released after it has the "modern Falcom feel." Nayuta itself, then, is kind of an anomaly, as it has a little of both.

-Tom

6. Cryrobinson

I see it, I mean, the party thing was a bit surprising for me, to say the least. And I definitely have noticed the modern Falcom progression (I think Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu speak well on that, with their modern anime-feels). What I love is how they have managed to keep gameplay so fun. Falcom have truly amazed me in the way they have solidified the gameplay aspect. Especially in their ARPGs, which is why I'm so excited to dip into Zwei!

7. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

While I'd generally agree with this (though they've gotten progressively better at making interesting bosses with the party system games) I have to point out that the first Dragon battle against Rada-Manj is pretty darn memorable. xD

8. Wyrdwad

Oh, there are definitely some awesome bosses in Ys Seven! It's just not ALL awesome bosses, like many other Ys games. I mean, compare it to Ys Origin, for example, and Ys Seven's bosses seem boring by comparison -- but Ys Origin is kind of a high bar, boasting some of the best bosses in the series, and really some of the best bosses of any Falcom game, period.

-Tom

9. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Some of the Dragon fights in Seven are on par with Origin's at least in terms of attack pattern variety, and some (like Earth and Wind) are close enough to mid-2000s Ys levels of challenge. I think Seven's got some underrated boss designs, not given much discussion or critique because most discussions devolve into nitpicking the newest style of Ys play vs. the mid-2000s style. Seven really feels too thin on story in the second half and has pacing and mechanical issues which Celceta fixes, but it benefits massively from some of the best, most memorable dungeons and solid-to-great bosses I've experienced in an Ys game yet. Celceta drops the ball in these areas (plus art direction and the overall soundtrack), so hopefully Ys VIII blows this ranking out of the water in both story and play (I hear it's one of those fabled Falcom masterpieces too).

Anyway, I'm sure Zwei II has plenty of great action and adventure just like in the games talked above (plus some!), and that's what matters most this summer.

10. Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy Member

Waited so long for this, lol!
    I refreshed that "Birds of a feather" fan translation blog so many times..

ANyway, hoping to see the first Zwei some time, too!

11. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Worst case, we'll get a fan patch for Zwei!! that's just as good as what XSEED could offer. It's ultimately a more difficult game to sell on Steam/GOG/Humble than even Xanadu Next, simply because some people might not be able to run it without a lot of hassle.

12. Wyrdwad

In its current form, sure. But if we were to tackle it, we'd bring it up to speed for modern systems for sure -- we'd never release it without making sure everyone could run it on their current PCs without issue!

-Tom

13. BachU8

BachU8 New Member

Well, this thread is in the section named "Zwei Series" so I guess it isn't off the table.

Wyrdwad likes this.
  14. Cryrobinson

Excited for more updates on this! Cannot wait to play it!

15. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

Yeah, Trails of Cold Steel is fine and all, but I'm far more excited for Zwei: II and Ys Seven!

16. Wyrdwad

Ditto. ;)

Zwei II info will likely have to get in line, however, as Ys Seven is our next major focus for PR and such. Though behind the scenes, Zwei II is progressing through QA rather nicely, so no worries there: it's coming along, and after Ys Seven has had its time in the spotlight, Zwei II shan't be far behind!

-Tom

17. Cryrobinson

That. Is. What. I. Like. To. Hear! Gaaah excitement levels at max for this! :)

18. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I know I'm late for t he subdiscussion but regarding party systems being no different that switching swords or bracelets. That would be true if your allies didn't damage enemies themselves, or function as lifesavers if you run out of hp and whatnot since they actually are generally pretty good at staying alive themselves in battle. Now I know you can choose not to res yourself or whatever because of a still living ally, but having secondary 'targets' kinda screws up the whole tightness of you and your enemy and how you can fight it effectively. That's not a good explanation but I dont' know how to describe it.

One example is a game vindictus (mabinogi heroes), it has several raid bosses that are balanced towards having like 8 people wailing on them. They are soloable but it's generally very hard and gear dependant to do so since many have so many hp that you'll need amazing gear in order to pump out the dps to kill them before the timer runs out if you're alone. In any case, some of them I solo just for fun even though I have not the dps to kill em, just to see how long I can last against them while doing decent damage, and many times I can survive quite some time. But as soon as I'm fighting iset in a 8 party raid or whatever, I'm spending more time running around for my life looking for a safe chance to heal and whatnot because the way enemies can suddenly change targets really screws with avoiding their attacks. Sometimes you think it's safe to attack them cuz they are targeting someone else wh en suddenly that someone else dashes behind th em into your face and bam. etc.

I mean I'm not sayiung that my explanation explains how party ys is trash and should be murdered. But it's just my way of expressing how it isn't quite the same as just changing weapons.

19. Wyrdwad

That is a good point, and you'll be happy to know that Zwei II does not do that -- Ragna and Alwen share a single life bar, and only one character attacks at a time (plus your pet, if you instruct it to in the menu) unless you use a two-person (or two-person + pet) "arcanum" move (which have to be earned by getting high combos through regular combat, and you can only stock a limited number of them).

So Zwei II, I suppose, is a bit more accurate to describe as "multiple characters function as an exact correlation to the sword, bracelet, or artifact system of the Napishtim-engine Ys games." The only difference is, you CAN heal during battle in Zwei, which means you are often theoretically able to heal-spam your way through battles -- so combat-wise, Zwei II is perhaps most comparable to Ark of Napishtim in that sense.

-Tom

20. Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy Member

Let's all hang tight, Ghaleon. I hear Ys 8 allows for solo Adol mode. Hope it's not too hard to obtain.

Maybe they'll also go back to that system in the future!..