Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection announced for E3!

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by Wyrdwad, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

You say it's ys-like... that being like Ys 1-2 (doubt it), oath/ark/origin (please), or 7/celeta (no please, though I'll still try i t eventually)

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Sort of halfway between Oath/Ark/Origin and Seven/Celceta, I'd say.

Oath/Ark/Origin because you actually do get to jump, and the weapon/magic you have selected COMPLETELY changes the way you attack, as opposed to simply functioning as a skill. Ragna's "Grab Gear" weapon, for example, is kind of like if you were wielding a Castlevania whip, but whenever you whip an enemy, you actually grab it and pull it into your hands so you can then throw it at other enemies or objects. His "Glide Gear," on the other hand, turns his weapon into a bladed skateboard of sorts, allowing you to coast through areas and just ram into enemies.

Meanwhile, Alwen can fire off rocks in multiple directions with her earth spell, shoot out laser-like beams with her light spell, or slap enemies with giant screen-filling devil hands with her dark spell.

And it's because you've got both Ragna and Alwen (or, at certain points in the story, someone other than Alwen!) in your party that it's a little bit like Seven/Celceta, since you can swap your active character on the fly, with the other one (and your pet) controlled by AI in the meantime. It plays out a little more smoothly than in Seven/Celceta, though, since when you switch characters, the two instantaneously change places entirely, so you can quickly and seamlessly switch back and forth between attacking with Ragna and firing off magic with Alwen in the middle of a single fight, and there won't be any disorientation (since you won't ever move from the spot you're standing in), nor any interruption in the flow of combat. It'll be literally no different than if you'd pressed a button to switch bangles in Felghana, save for a sudden change in the visual appearance of your character. ;)

I can go into more detail if you'd like, but hopefully, this answers your question a bit!

-Tom

3. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Xanadu Next suffers from being more difficult to describe in a nutshell vs. Ys and Trails games, and it also isn't as cute as those other games on top of the brand name having less importance. But what killed its chances on Steam was a late fall holiday release and not enough marketing in the right places (more often social media and streaming like on YouTube or Twitch—really perplexed that XSEED didn't host a preview stream for the game arguably until recently). The game's launch was shaky even though most bugs, especially the worst, have been fixed for nearly everyone; Zwei II should have less trouble with certain things and more with others. The lasting appeal for Xanadu Next comes from its sneaky and ultimately satisfying worldbuilding, plus a great ending that pulls off its (somewhat foreshadowed) twist in a way I wouldn't have seen coming, and which effortlessly sets up a sequel hook that rewards replays. I just wish more people would give it a shot and buy at some point to support these low-key but essential localizations, and more people need to experience Castle Strangerock.

Sounds like Toru Endo's scriptwriting is what makes this and Zwei!! so vulgar vs. scripts led by Takeiri and/or Kondo. They should bring him back if and when they remake Popful Mail.

I've never seen a source for this happening, and for what kind of poll/survey this actually was, outside the XSEED forums. Much as I'd like to believe this happened just in case we could make one happen again, I'm skeptical enough to want magazine scans, or an archived web link. We could always just ask Kondo about it since he's likely to host Q&A at Anime Expo this July.

Depends on how the poll was framed, and whether or not a sequel to Zwei!! was an explicit option or voted in by a fan campaign. That Parasite Eve analogy isn't very comparable because, for as much as Zwei II changes, it's still clearly the same kind of dungeon crawling-focused adventure with food level-ups, scoring for individual dungeon floors, wacky writing/plot, and catchy Falcom music. And you can switch between fighter and mage at will while accompanied by a pet, so it sounds like a proper sequel to Zwei!! if you ask me.

Tom, just make sure you guys do a preview stream or two, plus a social media countdown, to accompany whatever E3 press coverage you get. I can't imagine many sites will want to do write-ups/showcases on this game specifically, but those who do get my utmost respect since this game needs as much press as it can get.

4. lail

lail Well-Known Member

So we're finally getting Zwei II (I feel bad for German people that you changed the name), so obviously the next question is:
    Dinosaur and Sorcerian when??

5. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

AGREED can Xseed just translate all the old Falcom games and make a big PC-retro Falcom compilation? Would DIE, so many Falcom games I can't play (like Dragon Slayer & Xanadu & LoH II)!

6. Wyrdwad

Man, I'm right there with you guys. That would be super-sweet!

(You actually could play Dragon Slayer and Xanadu, though, if you wanted, as both games are 100% in English, even in their original Japanese releases! The problem would simply be getting your hands on them. And learning how to play them, since Xanadu especially is... not the most intuitive experience!)

Also, Clessy, Zwei and Zwei II are totally related! Zwei II is basically Zwei if Zwei were 3D instead of 2D. Yes, there are a lot of similarities to Gurumin... but Gurumin also felt a lot like Zwei when I first played it. The series influences are EVERYWHERE, and it really is a very suitable sequel.

And ALSO also, I too have never seen this magazine poll, and have only heard of it second- and third-hand. However, I very much believe it existed, as there aren't too many other explanations for the existence of Vantage Master Portable, Brandish: The Dark Revenant, Zwei PSP, and Zwei II, since every one of those titles seemed to kind of come out of nowhere when they were released.

-Tom

7. Cryrobinson

Well this is come exciting news to hear! I actually got the Xanadu Complete Collection last year, I'll have to see if it includes English! :D

8. Wyrdwad

It totally does. You're good to go for playing Dragon Slayer and Xanadu -- and you will be VERY addicted to Xanadu, if you're anything like me. ;)

I can fill you in on what you need to know, if you'd like. I adore that game, even though it is the most stressful action RPG in the world (one wrong move and you could wind up having to restart the whole damned game!).

-Tom

9. Cryrobinson

Yeah, I've heard of it's difficulty! I may have to take you up on that, I'd absolutely love to go through it! The Complete Collection has like a book of maps and stuff do, was a pretty cool pick up. I don't know if you've played the Revival titles or Scenario II, but those are all included as well, was hoping to one day be able to take on the lot! :]

Side note, have you played Romancia? I've heard that game is realllllly cool in how it's structured!

10. Wyrdwad

Only briefly, but since I do own it for MSX, it's on the list of games I plan to play through on original hardware sometime relatively soon. I've heard good things as well, and I love both its predecessor (Xanadu) and successor (Drasle Family, a.k.a. Legacy of the Wizard), so I expect I'll love Romancia as well. ;)

I've also only very briefly tried my hand at Scenario II (which I'm afraid is NOT all in English, as there's a bit more actual story to it than the original), and... man, Scenario II is RIDICULOUSLY brutal. Like, Scenario II is just plain cruel! Definitely not for the faint of heart. Just surviving a few SECONDS in that game is an achievement.

-Tom

11. Cryrobinson

Well maybe I'll put that one on hold until I flesh my Japanese out a little more! Sounds like it makes Dark Souls look easy, few seconds? Holy wow!

Also jealous you have an MSX, a friend's older brother of mine has one, I've always wanted to give it a shot for the historical value-sake, see how gamers were doing it back in the day!

12. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Yeah Tom, you should like Romancia whenever you get a chance to play it. It's a very short game by design (and not as punishing as Drasle Family) but it's a lot of fun. And Falcom recreated it (more or less) in Sorcerian.
    You too? *fistbump*

13. Wyrdwad

I'm pretty obsessed with my MSX. Was very unsure when I bought it 2 years ago, and had buyer's remorse for like, a couple days before I realized that I'd actually just made one of the greatest gaming purchases of my life.

Never regretted it a single day since. ;)

-Tom

14. Cryrobinson

Glad to see someone else who made the leap! I love the map/data book and the weapon card, real cool little set!

15. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

So, just out of curiosity, what's the difference between Zwei II+ and plain old Zwei II? What was upgraded?

16. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Xanadu next's sales were also likely hurt somewhat due to it being fully fan translated years ago too. I don't know h ow much better it is now, but I don't recall hearing too many complaints about the fan one so whatever.

17. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

I doubt that's all of it; Ys I-II Chronicles, Oath and VI all had fan translations and they seem to have done pretty well.
    Various new options and items, various balance tweaks, a new high-level dungeon, a new mode for the arena, the ability to get figurines from vending machines, skippable cutscenes...

18. Wyrdwad

Short answer, there are new weapons, new armor, and a new pet, most of which are only accessible after beating the game once. And in a game like Zwei, those things are all fairly exciting, because new weapons mean completely new attacks, new armor (in this case) means new character models, and a new pet means a totally new AI companion with totally new behavior.

EDIT: Heh. Also all the stuff Yotaka mentioned! Which, strangely, included none of the stuff I mentioned. I forgot about all of that stuff, and Yotaka presumably forgot about all of this stuff! Guess different stuff stands out to different people. ;)

-Tom

19. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I said somewhat thoughhhhhh... besides, didn't origin sell the best of all of those despite oath being regarded as the fave to most and the fact origin was more expensive upon launch?

20. Cryrobinson

Oh god there's figure collecting? I'm done for ;)