Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection announced for E3!

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by Wyrdwad, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Was most definitely shocked with how bored I was by the story in Nayuta. Made me sad, was hoping I'd like it, but you're totally right that gameplay was sooo sweeeeet.

2. Clessy

Clessy Member

Let me just say i'm shocked that you guys picked this up. Depending on pricing i'll probably get it day one. If its $20 its for sure, if its $30 maybe hold out as i've played it before.

I do have to say im a little shocked you're doing the second game before the first even though you dont need to have played one to enjoy the other in any way. It just seems like 1 is getting pretty damn old now and doesnt really have much chance of a localization.
    For like $30 you can get a used 6670 1gb gdd5 edition and run every single Falcom pc game at maxed settings. This is a good choice of card as its DX11 and requires no extra power connector meaning it can br thrown into virtually any store build low end tower.

Yeah I really wish instead of the ys party system, that ys would of moved on to this instead.

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't say that, exactly. ;)

Zwei 1 is just the kind of game that'll take more work to get functioning than its sequel. I mean, we're talking a game that uses DirectX 5 and IndeoR, has a framerate selection of 30 or 15, and features numerous unlockable desktop apps like clocks and calendars. So that might have something to do with why Zwei:II got the localization treatment first, it being the last original PC title Falcom ever developed (I mean, it's the *only* original PC title Falcom ever made that actually has widescreen support from the get-go!).

Doesn't mean Zwei 1 is off-limits, though. It just makes the prospect of localizing it more of a challenge.

-Tom

strife.v1 likes this.
  4. Clessy

Clessy Member

Its been ages since i've even playe zwei. Does it even load on anything past XP. I know Falcom normally kept up with re releasing all its games as win vista/7/8 compatible but I've never see a re release of zwei. Hell even though on steam ys6 says xp or higher it actually runs on windows 98se, me and 2000. Pretty sure the original special edition release says that right on the box. A lot of falcom games are so low spec old school pc made.

5. Wyrdwad

Zwei 1 does still run on up to Windows 8, I've confirmed, but only if you install the IndeoR codec and... a couple other ancient codecs and things. And even then, it doesn't really run WELL. It's stretch widescreen only (you can't get it to play in proper 4:3 fullscreen unless you play it windowed), and none of the movies have sound.

-Tom

6. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

It will be absolutely incredible if this game does well over here, both for XSEED and for Falcom. Can't wait for more news!

Remember how XSEED released Ys Seven before Oath and Chronicles even though they got the license for all three at the same time? I imagine it's much the same here where even if they have the license for both, it would make sense to release the much newer and all-around better game first and then go for the older entry. It doesn't hurt that there's also the technical challenges associated with Zwei being considerably older and thus requiring more effort.

7. Cryrobinson

Want to do my part to boost this game to do well, after Xanadu Next, I was bummed to see people not jumping for more Falcom (I get XN was simple, but darnit it was one of the most fun RPG-adventure games I have ever played absolutely underrated). I hope Zwei II doesn't go equally unnoticed I'll be heartbroken.

8. Clessy

Clessy Member

I wouldnt go holding my breath on high sales for this. I think it will do decent but I dont think it will have long enough legs to merit any attention. PC gaming is becoming larger in the west but, I feel like Japanese pc gaming is a hugely a niche still. If this sold 20k copies i'd be absolutely amazed.

I think a ps4 port would have vastly higher chances of moving units as I feel thats where Japanese gamers are. Switch could be a nice fit too.

9. Wyrdwad

Honestly, if it sold 20k copies, we'd probably be pretty happy. That would definitely qualify as doing well, particularly for a digital-only title.

I do think it has a decent chance of doing well for us, too, if only because -- as Nick has pointed out -- it almost seems like it was made with a Western audience in mind. The level of snark in the writing is very uncharacteristic of Japanese media, and the whole game has a very '90s adventure vibe to it, very much akin to the sorts of '90s anime that caught on in the West and helped sparked the anime boom here.

It didn't do particularly well for Falcom, I think, partially because it was a PC title in a time when PC gaming was all but dead in Japan, but also partially because its appeal for Japanese audiences is somewhat more niche than usual. I think if people in the West give it a try, though, they'll find a lot to love about it. It's a refreshing change of pace from most other JRPGs.

(Porting the game to console would be amazing, though. It isn't in the cards right now, but if the right opportunity came along, I'm sure we'd be all over that!)

-Tom

10. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

Can't remember where I heard this from, but wasn't Zwei II the result of a poll where Falcom asked fans what games they'd like to see, and a sequel to Zwei was one of them? (I think Vantage Master Portable was another...)

11. Wyrdwad

Yep, correct on both counts. And Brandish: The Dark Revenant was also a result of that poll.

-Tom

12. Clessy

Clessy Member

The issue with Xseed is marketing budget. You guys seem to virtually have none. Its very hard for you to get any more market saturation than you already have. I mean imagine how much a simply tv comericial would do for you guys. But the cost to run it could never be made back.

Thats the problem with gaming now. Half the time you need a bigger budget for marketing than you do for making the game. Witcher 3 is a perfect example. The marketing budget was over 3 times as much as the games developement cost if I remember correctly.

The problem is ZweII is gurumin and not zwei. I think by taking a risk and not giving people the same exact experience as Zwei it kinda defeats the purpose of a poll. Its like someone asking you what Square rpg they should bring back and it was Parasite Eve. Then they bring it back as the 3rd birthday. The 2 dont share a single thing in common when it comes to gameplay at all.

13. Wyrdwad

Yep, that's very true. But we get by! Word of mouth (or link) can be surprisingly effectively these days.

-Tom

Cryrobinson likes this.
  14. Cryrobinson

Sounds like that was one hell of a poll! Wonder what else could have been!

15. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Not an expert but doesn't it mean that it would work perfectly in DOSBox?

16. Clessy

Clessy Member

Probably but selling a game with a dosbox wrapper around is far from professional or something that any company should consider.

17. Wyrdwad

It's a Windows game, so I don't think so. Unless you can run Windows 95/98 in DOSBox?

But either way, yeah, we're not about to release a game from 2001 as-is by bundling it with a wrapper like that. That would be pretty darned unprofessional!

-Tom

18. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Meh, Good Old Game do that all time, sometime they just use cracks to unlock their own games.
    Sony and Nintendo also have no shame in selling emulated games.
    It's good news that if you're going to port it you'll take time to make it properly though, was just thinking of DOSBox because I used it a while ago for some old games and it worked fine.

19. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

If I may ask, any idea on how much this will cost when it's released?

20. Wyrdwad

Until we officially announce the price, that's something I'm not at liberty to divulge. Sorry!

-Tom