Zwei: The Arges Adventure announced for "Winter 2018" (early 2018)

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by PasokonDeacon, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Why would it feel weird?

2. Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy Member

Well, simply because just about every 2D game I ever played was running at 60.

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I've been waiting for someone else to respond, as I'm not sure how much my own take on this will mean (given that I've never cared about framerate in games to begin with, and also am the person in charge of this project and thus understandably biased!), but I will say that every version of Zwei 1 has always had a maximum framerate of 30 fps, and it's never bothered me even the slightest bit while playing any of them, historically or recently. In fact, TBH, I can't say I ever even noticed the framerate while playing! Nothing really felt any different from any other 2D game I'd ever played, as far as I could tell. (Well, except when I tried playing the Japanese PSP version back in the day. I'll admit, the low resolution mixed with the low framerate did make that version feel a little off to me, but only for a minute or so until I got used to it.)

Your mileage certainly may vary, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to have any real issues with this when you play it.

-Tom

4. nivora

nivora Active Member

i'm in the same boat as you, i don't care about FPS, actually prefer to lower it to 30 if possible so my opinion isn't usually valued :p
    I just assume it's not an issue with it being a stable framerate, it might take time to adjust for some people but as long as it doesn't become unstable i would not see any problem with it.

5. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

From my impressions, higher FPS is more of a concern for games that require quick reflexes. So fighting games and shooters require high FPS since you need to react and input really fast. I would imagine difficult platformers like Meatboy may need higher FPS with how ridiculous platforming in that game can be. Personally, I've never had a problem playing games at 30fps, and Zwei played completely fine for me. Games that dip below that at certain times can become hard to play though.

6. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Zwei: TAA arguably has more issues with enemy attack speeds (and the visibility of some monsters) than framerate messing up your actions. I'm pretty hopeful about the new controls making everything easier to manage.

7. Wyrdwad

They make SUCH A HUGE DIFFERENCE. And we keep adding more, too! Nick suggested a button to bring up the area map, which I hadn't even thought of (since I never use the area map at all in Zwei 1), and Matt was quick to deliver: pressing R3 brings up the area map, and you can then use the right analog stick to scroll through it as well.

New keyboard shortcuts are being added on an almost daily basis, too.

We're going all-in on making this the most controllable version of Zwei 1 the world has ever seen, and it's kind of glorious. ;)

-Tom

8. Wyrdwad