Zwei: The Arges Adventure announced for "Winter 2018" (early 2018)

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by PasokonDeacon, Dec 1, 2017.

1. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

[​IMG]

Steam page
    GOG page
    Humble Store page

YouTube teaser
    XSEED Mystery Stream where they announced the game and showed off build footage

General improvements over the previous versions of Zwei!! include:

• True widescreen (original stuck to 4:3 except on PSP); right-hand UI elements currently float left, maybe to make room for in-game widgets like the pet app?
    • Proper gamepad controls: you can now use bombs instantly, access the hotbar with less hassle, and do all in-game inventory and menu commands using the pad
    • Ability to select either the original PC soundtrack or arranged PSP music; collectable "bromide" photos in-game feature all new art
    • Better scroll-wheel use and faster switching between characters
    • Pet app (a desktop minigame starring the pet you find at Hippolyta Hill) now appears inside the game
    • General visual upscaling (or better source assets?) for HD+ resolutions; no game launcher because options appear in-game
    • All-new translation and edit by XSEED
    Please tell me if I've missed anything! I need to listen to the stream again anyway.

Also, do you guys have any plans for bundling copies with the in-game background art or promo art, a la Ys VI? Extracting the game assets doesn't seem too hard already.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Grey and BrokenFantasy1985 like this.
  2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Actually, it's not the PSP promo art, since most of the NPCs featured in the bromides have no official art outside of character sprites. Instead, it's all new art that we've contracted from the same artist responsible for our achievement icons.

Extracting game assets isn't difficult, but figuring out what to do with them is, as there are nearly 30,000 individual BMP files, and most are... not formatted for public consumption. Creating a digital art book would thus be a pretty massive undertaking, so we instead sifted through all the best stuff we found in that sea of 30,000 files and sent it to our web designer. So while there won't be an art BOOK, per se, you will still get to see all the best art from the game via the official webpage, as well as in wallpapers and Steam assets (like trading cards and such).

Also, thanks for starting this topic!

-Tom

3. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

I'm really excited for this game and I'm glad that you guys were able to make it run for modern PCs. It makes me wonder if the sky's the limit for bringing Falcom's Windows games onto Steam, GOG, etc.

4. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine sales and pricing would be an issue for games that old, but they are doing this game so I dunno. Maybe we'll actually see Gagharv.

Yuri likes this.
  5. Wyrdwad

6. Thanks based XSEED! Looking forward to a release date announcement for Trails of Cold Steel II (PC) as well. ;)

7. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

I'm actually really excited for this series. Seems like something I'd be really into! Very cute and charming.

8. Grey

Grey New Member

I knew basically nothing about Zwei!! until this stream, other than seeing some gameplay footage of The Ilvard Insurrection. But watching you guys playing The Arges Adventure on stream caught my interest. I've just read the localization blog too and I gotta say it looks pretty good! Incredibly charming oldschool looks, Falcom music greatness, challenging gameplay. And you, Tom, seem to have put a lot of love in the translation.

(I know it's not a similar game, but seeing and reading about it gave me the same vibes I get from The Legend of the Mystical Ninjas for the SNES which was a game I loved during my childhood, so this is a sign I'll really like the first Zwei!!)

Already on my wishlist. Looking forward to play it! Great job yet again, XSEED.

9. Wyrdwad

You're correct that there's not really much basis of comparison between Zwei: The Arges Adventure and Legend of the Mystical Ninja, but I too grew up with LotMN and have always ranked it as one of my favorite SNES games (and man, what a soundtrack!), for what ever that may be worth. ;)

-Tom

BrokenFantasy1985 and Grey like this.
  10. Knowing Falcom, Zwei I probably has a fantastic soundtrack, right?

11. Wyrdwad

OMG. Have you not heard Zwei 1's soundtrack? It's arguably one of Falcom's BEST. Like, no hyperbole involved.

It's different from their other soundtracks, by quite a bit -- it often gets compared to the works of Yasunori Mitsuda, as it has a very Chrono feel to it -- but, like... I mean, just listen to these tracks, and tell me you're not impressed!

(opening theme, 2001 version)
    (hub town theme, 2001 version)
    (forest theme, 2001 version)
    (shrine dungeon theme, 2008 version)
    (final dungeon theme, 2008 version)

I could go on, but suffice it to say, the whole soundtrack is aces, no matter which version you listen to (and both versions are included in our PC release, togglable at will!).

Definitely proof positive that Falcom doesn't have to ROCK rock in order to absolutely rock. ;)

-Tom

Yuri, Grey and BrokenFantasy1985 like this.
  12. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

I said it before and I'll say it again: those Mitsuda comparisons are superficial (though I don't blame anyone for resorting to them in lieu of something better) and they detract from how much more unique Zwei!!'s music gets. The main musicians, Maiko Hattori and Wataru Ishibashi, applied folk and modern classical styles to upbeat Falcom-esque compositions, and they stuck to acoustic instruments to capture the varied tones and atmosphere of Arges and its locations. I'd say the BGM matches the different fairy tribes found throughout the land, also; Puck Village has the most modern-sounding tune with its rocksteady beat and pop-vocal style. Couple that with great melodies and leitmotif to make one of the studio's most unique and worthwhile soundtracks!

If I had to recommend starter tracks, I'd go with Floating Continent Arges, Cropp Cave, and Apries Temple. The final boss theme's somewhat well-known, too, thanks to copious bagpipes.

BrokenFantasy1985 likes this.
  13. That opening theme is pretty magical. Love the guitar and the other melodies. The town theme has a real sense of fun and a great rhythm! Thanks so much for sharing these with me. BRB, going off to look at purchase options for Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection! :p

14. Celica_Gale

Celica_Gale New Member

I heard Serpentina on one of the Falcom JDK concert cds and loved it! Never realized it was from Zwei!!
    Really looking forward to this release! :D

15. nivora

nivora Active Member

the soundtrack is the reason i'll be picking up this game ;) i'm not into action-y games but it's worth it for a stellar soundtrack for me

16. Mirek

Mirek Member

So, are you gonna rename Zwei: Ilvard Insurrection back to Zwei II now?

17. Wyrdwad

That's part of why it's called "Ilvard Insurrection."

Because it abbreviates to Zwei:II.

...See? We know what's up! ;)

(But no, we're leaving the titles as-is, because the two games ARE standalone adventures and can be played in either order, so we'd rather not use a number, as we don't want to unduly influence anyone's decision on which order to play them. Rather than thinking of them as Zwei 1 and Zwei 2, I think it's better to think of them as "the 2D Zwei" and "the 3D Zwei," and let people decide which of those sounds more in tune with their personal preferences.)

-Tom

nivora, Yuri and BrokenFantasy1985 like this.
  18. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Oh, the good 'ol months where we only had Zwei!! and Zwei: II (and Zwei 2 and Zwei II). Now it's just gonna be Zwei: AA and Zwei: II, and that's alright. The next three games will also have double vowels after the colon...once Falcom makes them.

BrokenFantasy1985 likes this.
  19. Lol.. Let's positive thinking ;) And yes, after a few hours of playing Zwei: II, it is bursting with charm and personality and I cannot wait to get stuck back in! Well done on the localization and on the port XSEED!

20. Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy Member

This is awesome!

But, I wanna hear this from a gamer- does a 2D game not feel weird running at 30FPS?