Zwei! And Zwei! 2 (Pc), Xanadu Next

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zeether, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

Can I play the "vocal minority" card?
    Hmmmmmmm... No.

I use Wikipedia to get an idea of what the game is (it's accurate enough for that, I hope), and if I want to know more, I either look it up on Hardcore Gaming 101 (if it's the type of game I think they would cover) or search for some reviews.

Obviously you wouldn't release the N-Gage version, so I would know not to look at reviews of that. ;)

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Don't worry, I'm right there with you this time. ;)

Well, fair enough. My point is, people aren't just going to Google the game's name, click on the first N-Gage review that pops up and judge the whole game based on that. Wikipedia, YouTube, HG101, GameFAQs... there are a whole host of sites people might use to find information on a game they've never heard of before, but Google is likely not among them.

-Tom

3. Voliko

Voliko New Member

Zwei II is so ugly compared to beautiful 1. Down with polygons!
    I always loved how Mitsuda-esque it is, as well as some other tracks from Zwei 1. One of the reasons I like that soundtrack so much.

4. Wyrdwad

Whaaaaaat?! Blasphemy!! I generally prefer 2D as well, but Zwei II proves just how gorgeous 3D can be. Personally, I think it's a big visual improvement over the original -- better art style, and some of the best 3D animation scripting I've seen in a long time. The original has some very pretty backgrounds and sprites, but uses very few animation frames and repeats tiles an aaaaawful lot. Zwei II just feels like it has a lot more variety to it, and a lot more "life" as well.

-Tom

5. Voliko

Voliko New Member

I was definitely exaggerating but I do prefer 1 graphically. I haven't played much of 2 though so I can't really make a fair judgment. Maybe if I actually get to play Zwei II in English that will change (hint hint ^_^). But I find that well done 2D has something special that is lost in the transition to 3D. I know people don't like buzzwords like "charm" or "soul" but I am going to say they work here for me!

6. Wyrdwad

I think those are appropriate words to use indeed... but I believe they apply just as strongly to Zwei II, if not even more so. 3D can have charm and soul too, after all, and Zwei II just feels like it was made with even more love and dedication than the first game. It's 3D done right, basically. I think it you were able to play it a bit more, you might just agree -- Zwei II is absolutely riddled with little details that show how much the developers cared about it.

...Either way, they're both utterly beautiful games, so it's kind of pointless to debate which one looks nicer. ;)

-Tom

7. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

If there is one thing I don't like about Zwei! presentation wise is the sprites. They have these open mouth happy expressions. It's creepy. It's like they're trying to say something to the player but they never do.
    Another small problem I have is the voice of the male character. (I forgot his name.) It's only small "hahs" and stuff but he sounds like a little girl.

8. jdkluv

jdkluv New Member

9. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

Yes Falcom makes good music. I get it.

10. Wyrdwad

I assume you're talking the first game, since Ragna sounds pretty manly in Zwei II. ;)

Pokkle's voice suits his character. He's... an odd one. Right off the bat, we're introduced to three characteristics that eventually come to define his being:
    - He obsessively makes bad puns every chance he gets.
    - He wears a tail, for no reason other than "shut up, it looks cool."
    - He's got a thing for older women. Like, he's a teenager, but can't get enough of women in their 30s and 40s.

Given those traits, I just somehow find his voice to be oddly very fitting.

-Tom