Zwei! And Zwei! 2 (Pc), Xanadu Next

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zeether, Nov 1, 2013.

1. jdkluv

jdkluv New Member

SUDDENLY

Evildoer.mp3

Save for having to localize those two masterpieces first, and honestly I don't see Sara working on emulated versions of PC Engine CD games from 1994/5.

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

OH, THAT!

Yeah, including other games as bonuses is something that's a bit harder to do when you're licensing them from someone else, rather than the original developer. That said, I still think it's feasible to try including the original 1985 Xanadu alongside Xanadu Next, at the very least -- and have often included that in my nonstop suggestions to Ken, much to his dismay. ;)

-Tom

3. LongTimeNoSiege

LongTimeNoSiege New Member

This might be somewhat unrelated to the current topic, but have you guys considered offering the soundtrack alongside your Steam games? I know you can extract them from the game files with Falcom's games, but it would be nice to have fully-tagged tracks. There are a lot of other games that do that (EG Bastion) on Steam and it would be a really nice bonus, unless there's some issue with getting the rights to it.

4. Wyrdwad

It's more a matter of not wanting to step on Falcom's toes than anything else. Falcom distributes most of their music digitally through iTunes themselves, worldwide, and since we're their partners, we don't want to take sales away from them by giving away the exact thing they're selling, you know? So I'm afraid that's not something we plan to do anytime soon. Maybe some day in the future... but not just yet. Sorry.

-Tom

5. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Because you keep bugging Ken with "absurd" suggestions, you have to have someone in the forums bugging you with "even more absurd" suggestions.

Well, I thought it would be easier to license everything together, as they were released together in Xanadu Next LE, and as they are already adapted to run in modern PCs, that would be the only realistic chance to get more Falcom classics.

6. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned Xanadu Next coming with the older games before, but that was just the LE? That would make sense, mine didn't come with anything extra, just the game and "playing manual" I can't make heads or tales of. It was in a double width two disc case, but only had one disc in it.

7. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

Speaking of that I find it odd how Falcom ship their DVD PC games in big massive boxes with two disc slots when they only have one disc.

8. LongTimeNoSiege

Oh right. I forgot they sell their music on iTunes. My bad.

Still sucks that there's no way to get it besides installing malware or getting them from Amazon (which is low quality).

9. Chaosblade77

If you're not happy with Amazon quality I can't imagine you'd find iTunes much better, at the bitrates they use the difference between AAC and MP3 isn't that big. Unless Falcom's music on Amazon is just lower quality than normal or something.

10. Peytral

Peytral New Member

Amazon and iTunes are both around 250 kbps average for their music. At least from my experiences with the Falcom music on both services.

11. Wyrdwad

Somebody once told me that that's so you have a place to put any demo or expansion discs if such things exist. But personally, I think it's just because Falcom happened to have an overstock of those huge disc cases for some reason. ;)

And Chaosblade: Yeah, you probably got the newer rerelease of Xanadu Next. Only the first-print LEs came with Legend of Xanadu 1 and 2 and a "Xanadu Encyclopedia" (or something like that) music CD.

-Tom

12. Chaosblade77

Amazon uses MP3 and iTunes uses AAC. AAC is more efficient in terms of "quality per bitrate," if that makes any sense. But unless you are a really big audiophile with some nice equipment you aren't going to hear much of a difference at that bitrate assuming the songs are encoded well.

Apparently Google Music uses 320kb/s MP3s. Assuming good encoding that's probably the best quality you're going to find from a major outlet. They don't have Falcom music though (yet?).

13. LongTimeNoSiege

Not sure if it's just Amazon or if it's the quality of the track in general, but all the Falcom soundtracks I've gotten from them have a really bad background static issue. Especially Ark of Napishtim, it's only somewhat noticable in some of the others (I've only ever bought 4 albums from them). I don't hear it in tracks I've ripped myself so I assumed it was just Amazon's problem, but I suppose it might just be that particular soundtrack.

14. Wyrdwad

No, I've noticed this as well. Most recently with Nayuta no Kiseki -- before the soundtrack was released, I recorded a few of my favorite tracks directly from the PSP... and those are still the versions I listen to most often, because sadly, they're noticeably better-quality than the CD audio. ;)

-Tom

15. Cqef

Cqef Member

You mean the music you ripped directly from the game itself has better audio quality than the OST on its CD..? Ugh, how's that even possible..?

16. LongTimeNoSiege

Well, the in-game versions of the PC soundtracks I've ripped from the game files are better, yes, but I was referring to tracks I'd ripped from an actual CD OST, the Amazon ones sound a bit worse than those.

Celceta sounds good enough, and I got that from Amazon, but some of the tracks from Ys VI sound WORSE than youtube quality, somehow.

17. Wyrdwad

It was only certain tracks, but when studying them in a sound editor, it seemed like the versions of them on the CD had all their peaks trimmed, so they sounded kind of hollow. Probably just a mistake on that one particular soundtrack, but a pretty surprising one.

-Tom

18. Wyrdwad

So it occurred to me that despite people posting videos in the Brandish and Nayuta no Kiseki topics... nobody's posted any videos here yet! And I fan-subtitled several whole scenes from Zwei II back when I was playing through it, so there's definitely some good YouTube footage to work with.

Here's the Zwei II prologue, fully subtitled:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=qk86SJemIfc

Always really liked this, even more than the opening movie. It's pretty much the first thing you see when you start the game (save for a short text crawl), and it really gets you pumped for what lies ahead.

And here's one of the game's more memorable boss battles (very slight spoiler warning):
    https://www.youtube....h?v=QWowjit-Obw

And one of Gallandou's famous exercise routines, as voiced by none other than the great Norio Wakamoto:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=qtMdlL3G2v0

And one of my favorite story events from around mid-game (slightly bigger spoiler warning, but still nothing you have to worry about toooo much):
    https://www.youtube....h?v=1N5T5nSz8tE

Moving on to Xanadu Next, here's the super-awesome opening animation, which I used to think was kind of lacking aside from the AMAZING music, but its atmosphere really grew on me over time and I might even consider it to be one of Falcom's best openings to date at this point:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=7et6P7AEriA
    (Incidentally, be sure to watch this one in 480p -- the music gets really garbled otherwise.)

And just so Zwei 1 doesn't feel left out, here's a trailer for it, complete with the game's awesome Mitsuda-esque opening theme:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=e-guQrTSolQ

Enjoy! ;)

-Tom

19. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

Zwei! II seems to use the same cel-shading technique that Gurumin used. But they're using a different art style. That bat boss looks like it could come straight from Gurumin.

20. Wyrdwad

I strongly suspect Zwei II uses the Gurumin engine, though there are JUST ENOUGH differences between the two that I'm not entirely convinced.

Even before Zwei II existed, though, I always said Gurumin felt like a spiritual successor to Zwei!!, and Zwei II feels kinda like a spiritual successor to Gurumin. And then Nayuta no Kiseki feels like a spiritual successor to Zwei II.

It's like some kind of pseudo-series Falcom's got going on. ;)

-Tom