Zwei! And Zwei! 2 (Pc), Xanadu Next

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Zeether, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Zeether

Zeether Member

I know that there's a fan translation going on for one of these games, but they're both Falcom titles and I would LOVE to see XSEED localize them because I'm not about to import just for a fan translation. The old forum had people requesting them too.

Also, Xanadu Next would be nice because a fan translation for that has existed for a while and XSEED could use that.

2. Voliko

Voliko New Member

No replies? :(
    The Zwei!! games are the Falcom games I want to see XSEED release the most. They are just beautiful-
    [​IMG]

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Hey, they're Falcom. You know we're gonna get to 'em sooner or later if we can. ;)

Zwei II and Xanadu Next are games I'm particularly pushing for, too, as they're among my favorite Falcom titles, so... yeah... fear not, we're not ignoring you guys!

-Tom

4. Savin877

Savin877 New Member

--starts humming in the (early) Xmas spirit--

XSEED baby, a simple Xanadu with Zwei! 1.....and 2.......
    I don't need much from you...........

5. SpaceDrake

SpaceDrake New Member

Zwei 1 is kind of questionable for me at this point (mostly due to the display resolution) but I've always thought that the big no-brainer of Falcom's "non-core" titles was Zwei 2. It's an excellent, fun game, it's not too text-dense, it's got great tunes, a fun story, and its graphical presentation is handily up to scratch for all but the snobbiest of PC ubermensches. I know I sound like I pooh-pooh a lot of suggestions, but Zwei 2 is one that I think shouldn't even be a debate. That one should happen, no questions asked.

As for Xanadu Next, I think the real challenge that one faces is going to be fighting all that awful, awful press the N-Gage release got. [​IMG] It could take a lot to convince the non-super-hardcore fans that the N-Gage version doesn't reflect the PC version at all.

6. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

I don't think anyone shoild worry about N-Gage reception. It is not like more than 10 people will remember the awful N-Gage version and not know that the PC version is another thing.

7. Wyrdwad

Yeah, I don't think most people even know the N-Gage version existed, so I wouldn't worry about that. The big pluses for Xanadu Next are that it features a western aesthetic, has a similar weapon and skill system to the one found in Ys SEVEN, and it plays out almost like a spiritual sequel to Faxanadu more than any other game in the series (and Faxanadu is generally remembered as an NES classic, so I think if we were to release Xanadu Next here, we could really play up that angle).

Zwei 1 would be slightly challenging, but I'm sure Sara could magic up some widescreen support easily enough (probably more easily than with the Ys games, even, since Zwei 1 is 2D). The biggest concern with that game would be outdated hardware and software support, since Zwei 1 is kind of old -- but again, I'm sure Sara's accomplished bigger feats than that, so I don't see it as much of a problem.

And yeah, the *only* potential issue I can see with Zwei II is that it's a sequel to Zwei 1, so we'd almost have to release Zwei 1 before we could consider it (even though it's not a direct sequel and can easily be played as a standalone game, there are always going to be sales lost when you release a sequel before its predecessor). Which is pretty minimal, as issues go. ;)

-Tom

8. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

I disagree with you on this. (Everyone gaps because this is so unlike me.) I can tell you that from running Zwei on windows 7 with a resolution of 1600x900 it looks absolutely fine. Also age of pc games isn't really an issue anymore. Thanks to sites like GOG and Steam the average PC player sure isn't going to be bothered by an older game. Hell it would probably be a really good move on Xseed's part to localize an older PC game. Besides the target audience that Zwei would be marketed aren't going to care about how old it is. These are people who still like to play classic SNES games.

9. Voliko

Voliko New Member

Widescreen support? Why would I want to take away from feeling like I'm in 2001 again? B)

10. Cqef

Cqef Member

I agree, Zwei's resolution shouldn't be a bother to anyone who knows what to expect of it.

11. SpaceDrake

SpaceDrake New Member

I still think, based on the feedback we ourselves got from titles like Fortune Summoners and Chantelise, that people are kind of underestimating what most Steam users, even most potential customers, really want in terms of presentation quality, but...

As for the N-Gage issue, it's more that one of the first things you get when you Google search the game is those middling-to-bad reviews. That's going to be the initial exposure a lot of people get to the game post-announcement. It's not insurmountable, but it's definitely an uphill climb.

At least we can all agree on Zwei 2. [​IMG] I forgot to mention that even plot-wise it isn't a concern, since the plots of the two games aren't related and new users can dive right in. I think, at the very worst, a little bit of "numbers shenanigans" might be engaged in and the 2 trimmed off so that casual users aren't scared away by "sequel first" syndrome, though I know that practice also gets a lot of strong reactions from existing fans. Of course, it might not be the worst idea in the world anyway, so that new users and particularly German speakers don't get confused about why a game is called Two Two. [​IMG]

12. Wyrdwad

I still think since the first game was called Zwei!!, the second should've been called Drei!!!, but... alas. ;)

At any rate, I can't see us releasing Zwei II without releasing Zwei 1 first, because... honestly, why not? It's a great game. Hell, we might even be able to release both together as a package deal or something -- who knows?

Xanadu Next is far more likely to come before either, though, if we're ranking PC release likelihoods. I understand poor reviews of the N-Gage title may show up near the top of Google search results, but... honestly, when a game is announced these days, who goes straight to GOOGLE to find info about it?! Personally, I go straight to YouTube! And admit it... so do you! ;)

-Tom

13. LongTimeNoSiege

LongTimeNoSiege New Member

I just tried Googling Xanadu Next, and the first things I get are Wikipedia (which is mostly about the PC version), the site for the English patch of the PC version, images and videos of the PC version, and Hardcore Gaming 101's article before it starts showing results pertaining to the N-gage version. I think the game is probably safe from that sort of thing, not to mention if you guys DID make an announcement about a localization, news articles about the announcement would start to appear near the top as well.

14. Wyrdwad

Also very good points!

Really, I think Xanadu Next is the most logical choice for a non-Ys non-Legend of Heroes Falcom PC title. But then, I am a bit biased, since it's one of my favorite Falcom games (if not my favorite!). ;)

-Tom

15. LongTimeNoSiege

I've been playing it recently and while it's a bit too easy sometimes, it's really fun and it has great mechanics, and exploring the seamless world is pretty great. I don't think it's top 10 material yet but it's getting better the further I get and I'm not nearly done with it.

16. tilinelson2

I hope the PC non-Ys and non-Legend of Heroes stop being just a theorical thing soon...
    ... and that the bonus content from the recent Xanadu Next editions is included.

17. Wyrdwad

Hmm? What was included in recent Xanadu Next releases? Just the bonus dungeon and increased level cap, right?

Those also existed in the original release -- you just had to patch them in.

-Tom

18. LongTimeNoSiege

Do you think you guys could change the string length for the player's name if it was localized? I realize that's very likely outside your scope of operations but it's disappointing that it's just two characters too short to fit "Xanadude."

19. Wyrdwad

Pretty sure that would be a no, but I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. ;)

-Tom

20. tilinelson2

Nope, what came in the LE as a bonus...

... okay, probably you wouldn't include that, but I am sure many Falcom fans would pay a bit more ($5 - $10) for a digital LE with two Falcom classics.