Zwei:AA launches January 24th!

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by Wyrdwad, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

You won't actually get the battery until later in the game -- you need to check out other dungeons for the time being, and you'll eventually get the battery as a matter of course (you can't miss it!).

If you're still stuck, I can give you further advice, but part of the fun of this game is figuring out what to do and where to go on your own, so I won't say anything more unless you ask. ;)

-Tom

2. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Thanks, I'll do another round of searching since it seems like I always find something new each time.

3. Celica_Gale

Celica_Gale New Member

Having a blast with this game so far! It's so cute! But kinda hard haha.
    Quick question though, can you lose the book items? I got a game over and my beastiary disappeared?

4. Wyrdwad

Talk to the merchant standing outside Pneuma's mansion, and you should be able to buy them back.

That's actually how this game handles key items, oddly enough. Rather than preventing you from dropping or selling them, you can TOTALLY drop or sell any key item in the entire game -- even the jewels, or the idols!

If it's not a consumable item that's easily replaceable, however, you'll always be able to buy it back from the merchant outside Pneuma's mansion.

-Tom

5. Trails of Persona

So is there a mechanic behind the foot switches? Took me forever to get to the place I would have access to because the foot switch for the level three area in the forest never activated for me until I just got on and moved in random directions until something happened. Unless I missed something, there was never any indication that you had to stand in a certain direction on a foot switch to activate it.

6. Wyrdwad

You don't! You just have to stand on it for a few seconds (simply walking over it won't do; you have to stand there for a bit until it activates). Doesn't matter which direction you're facing, though.

Maybe you weren't entirely on it before? Like, maybe you were too close to the edge, and the game interpreted it as you being on the grass next to it? Or maybe you got off of it too quickly, moving away from it before it activated?

Not sure what else might've happened.

-Tom

7. Trails of Persona

Beats me. Good chance that I was getting frustrated with running around for over an hour with no path in sight, until I decided that area had to be the next one. Part of me wondered if you had to put something on it, because I thought there was a conversation about a switch that a kid wouldn't be big enough to activate, so I thought perhaps there was something I needed to become bigger. I got frustrated enough at the switch that somehow I stayed on long enough for it to finally activate. For some reason it just never occurred to me that I had to stand on it long enough.

With that out of the way I can go back to enjoying the game rather than trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go.

8. Wyrdwad

Glad you were able to figure it out. And if you get stuck again, please don't hesitate to ask -- I'm always happy to help!

-Tom

9. Celica_Gale

Celica_Gale New Member

Thank you! Definitely relieved to know that's part of the game design! And somehow it just seems so appropriate that you can sell the idols XD

BrokenFantasy1985 likes this.
  10. Lovely game so far. Does anyone have an official/accurate source that lists the dungeons and their recommended levels? The recommended levels aren't shown when travelling using the Venture Wing, so it would be really handy to have that as a quick reference (especially considering how quickly I got rekt by wandering in slightly underlevelled :oops::eek::D)

11. xakdrex

xakdrex New Member

Would anyone happen to know how to get Polly's 3rd character fact? I've loaded every possible save with dialogue changes but nothing has triggered.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

I got it, but I'm not sure how really. Thing is, after entering Puck at different points in the game before Sunday school or returning the last idol, you can talk to a character first with either Pipiro or Pokkle, triggering a unique line or response (and you'll have to re-enter Puck and talk to that NPC again using the other character). So that might do the trick.

13. Trails of Persona

Well I finished the main story, and never got lost after the pressure plate snafu. Going to do the side dungeon stuff, but overall a fun little game. The music was nice and the art style of the game makes it endearing and makes it age quite well. The main thing is how being such an old game, it can be a pain to manage inventory at times, and not being able to skip scenes. Skipping scenes isn't a problem except for the final fight, where I died a few times and was forced to the title screen, so I had to go through everything again to retry the fight. Also, once again small, but having to talk again to trade food can be a little annoying when you have so many trades to do at once. Small problems aside, I enjoyed the game start to finish.

I will do the mini games, but I will probably pass on beating all of them on every difficulty. The 4th boss on Typing of Ys decimated me, and that was because the attacks came too fast for me to react to hit each key to stop them, and that was on easy mode:confused:

14. Clessy

Clessy Member

I'd be interested to know how you dealt with all the resolution issues of this game. Aren't the assets only in 640x480

15. Wyrdwad

Indeed. Which is part of why the game runs at 854x480 resolution. That's not a max -- it's the ONLY resolution. Just 640x480 extended to widescreen.

Certainly not ideal, but given the game's coding, it was all we could do. And fortunately, the game looks quite good at that resolution even on 4K monitors, thanks to its lovely and distinctive art style.

(To be fair, when you play in fullscreen, it does employ smoothing -- unless you tell the game not to -- so that helps a bit... but the option to NOT use smoothing was just added, and quite a few people prefer it, as the game definitely looks quite nice with sharp pixels!)

-Tom

16. Any tips for the Phoenix boss in the Volcano dungeon? I'm at level 8 with all the right equipment but I keep getting rekt...

17. bandit67

bandit67 New Member

any help for desert boss i keep getting killed at level 8

18. Trails of Persona

Wish I could give tips on how to beat the bosses, but most of the time it felt like I was high enough level that I could just tank and heal and win. The most I can say is for the one or two bosses that I had to be more mindful of, go and hit a few times, run away, then after they do an attack go back in for a few attacks.

The better option would probably be to grind a little, as it felt like most of the time the bosses moved way too sporadically to really come up with an idea to dodge attacks properly enough.

19. Wyrdwad

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, the strategy for most of the bosses in this game is "circle strafe and shoot with Pipiro's magic." Except for when it's "circle strafe and attack with Pokkle's katar." ;)

I adore Zwei, but admittedly, its bosses are not one of its strongest features.

-Tom

20. bandit67

bandit67 New Member

ok will do higher level wanted the fire scroll sooner but will wait a few more levels