Zwei:AA launches January 24th!

Discussion in 'Zwei Series' started by Wyrdwad, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

I'm actually pretty hyped for this one just wish it was Wednesday today.

Actually Tom maybe you should Voice act :D I wouldn't mind hearing you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

As was noted in the stream chat, I have in fact voiced small roles in a small handful of XSEED games! Specifically, I am in Ys: The Oath in Felghana PSP, Akiba's Trip, and Akiba's Beat.

Not in Zwei, though. But then, barely anyone is! The total voice script for this game is 8 lines, and they're all battle grunts. ;)

-Tom

3. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I have an exam I have to go and take, so this will be a nice game to come back and play once it's all said and done. Been doing a NG+ of the second game to tide me over, trying to platinum every area. Not an easy task when you can't get hit at all, which means the end game boss is going to be brutal to platinum.

4. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

So I guess whether or not I pick this up now will depend on how exorbitant my utility bill is after that ridiculous cold snap.

5. Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy Member

I'm really excited for the game. As always, the bonuses and extras Xseed peppered here and there to make this far above a simple "English release" is astounding.
    Hoping the 60FPS patch for Zwei 2 will be ready by the time I'm done with this one, so I could play that already! :p

6. Wyrdwad

You PC gamers and your 60 fps! Back in my day, we were lucky to get single-digit fps, we were! ;)

Either way, glad to hear you guys are excited for the game. I can't tell you how excited I am that it's releasing tomorrow as well! It's going to be really fun to see everyone's impressions, and I can't wait for the inevitable thread of pun groaning. Heheh.

-Tom

7. Jack Dandy

Jack Dandy Member

What can I say? I was spoiled rotten with the baby-smooth experiences of Falom's PC Ys games!

8. Wyrdwad

I dunno, this doesn't look baby-smooth to me...

;)

-Tom

9. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

I know you meant that more in jest, but the choppiness like that is part of why I have a hard time playing some old PC games on MSX, PC-88, etc, I've tried in the past. I remember one bad shmup I played that didn't have smooth scrolling and it felt like I was having an aneurysm. It seemed like the best option was to either break the game up into different screen zones that didn't scroll (i.e. similar to zelda) or to just deal with the choppiness, but I'd take the former over the latter almost any day.

That said, any game that did pull off smooth scrolling always felt impressive as hell on those types of PCs.

10. Wyrdwad

I've gotten used to it at this point, since like 70% of all the games I've played in the last 3 years have been on my MSX. ;) But I do get what you mean, and I too tend to prefer the flip-screen approach over block-scrolling, as games which use flip-screen definitely age far more gracefully. Even smooth-scrolling games on MSX tend to have inconsistent framerates due to the increased processing power required just to move the screen, so I prefer flip-screen even to that.

That said, block-scrolling CAN look just fine, as long as there's no screen-tearing and the framerate remains fast and consistent. Fire Hawk is a great example -- I don't think the block-scrolling looks at all bad or distracting in this game:

...But we're getting pretty far off-topic here. You are correct that I was just joking. ;) Still, I'll never pass up an opportunity to talk about MSX, and certainly not to share my favorite Fire Hawk track! Heheh.

-Tom

saldite likes this.
  11. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Thexder's approach to tile-swap scrolling on hardware without hardware scrolling support (let alone for sprites which the MSX had unlike its competitors) definitely helped a number of J-PC programmers back then. Falcom's own Sorcerian is a good example, as that game managed to run at an okay speed with more detailed visuals than what Thexder had despite using a similar scrolling method. Ys III also pushed the PC-88 to its limits by doing this with fake parallax scrolling, all without much of a speed decrease. I've seen some horribly slow PC-X8/FM-7/X1 games from that period, but also some that really impressed me (Bouken Roman (PC-88) and SeeNa by System Soft, Emerald Dragon by Glodia, many of the best doujin games by Onion Soft (100 Yen Disk series), etc).

Anyhow, I'm excited for Zwei: AA's release tomorrow! It's coming out on one of my least busy days in the week, so that's convenient.

12. Wyrdwad

Bouken Roman had scrolling in the PC-88 version? I own that game for MSX, and it's a flip-screen affair. That's rather interesting -- I might need to look up footage and see how the two versions compare (usually, when a game is multi-platform, the PC-88 version is superior, though generally only in terms of speed and screen resolution, which is why I'm surprised they'd have gone with a different game design altogether between the two versions of that particular title!).

...Anyway! Ahem. Sorry. It's far too easy for me to get off-topic with this kind of talk being bandied about, but it's also unnecessary to get off-topic when the topic at hand is ZWEI!! ;) We've got some cool launch PR stuff planned, so definitely stay tuned! We're hoping to give this game (and the Zwei duology as a whole) some much-needed buzz, as these two games are just so cool and SHOULD be easy sells... and we're gonna do everything we can to make sure people know how awesome they are!

-Tom

13. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

My mistake. Bouken Roman doesn't have scrolling on PC-88, it still uses flip-screen but has much smoother character movement.

I'm making the game's thread on another forum right now, so I'm doing my part to set up discussion there!

Wyrdwad likes this.
  14. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

We're less than an hour away according to Steam! I am too excited! :)

Hope everyone picks this up today, wanna see Zwei on top of the steam charts!

15. Cryrobinson

Okay so it is live now I just bought my copy who else? :D

16. Wyrdwad

FYI, Steam does not currently show the 10% launch day discount, but despite the lack of any indicator, it DOES still apply to your purchase -- when you check out, 10% will be deducted from the price.

We've contacted Valve, and the little "-10%" indicator should hopefully go up soon.

Also, if you purchase the game on Humble, there's a readme file you're going to want to check out before playing. One part of that readme may apply to those of you playing on Steam or GOG as well:

Hope everybody enjoys the game! (But what am I saying? Of course you will! It's awesome!) ;)

-Tom

BrokenFantasy1985 likes this.
  17. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

I grabbed it on GOG. I bought the second and never got around to it because by the time I did, the first was announced, so now I'll have to play both.

18. Cryrobinson

Ilvard was DOPE I highly enjoyed it! I think you'll love it as well!

BrokenFantasy1985 and saldite like this.
  19. Trails of Persona

Purchased and downloaded. Got a bag of chips with me so I don't get hungry from playing it.

Edit.

Damn you Tom, I spent 20 minutes checking every nook and cranny to see what kind of pun Pokkle would make. As expected, many were great, while some I didn't get.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  20. Trails of Persona

I need help, and I will probably feel stupid about not figuring out what to do. I got to the mid point of the first dungeon and met the hunter who said I need a battery to continue on. I feel like I've been to every single place and talked to everyone, but I cannot figure out how to get the battery or where to go from here. On the bright side, I at least found the dog because I scoured the entire world map.