Ys VIII localized by NISA - Fall 2017 (Vita/PS4/Steam)

Discussion in 'Ys Series' started by Chaosblade77, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

A lot of people just have a Switch at this point, and the store is also sparser so easier to take notice of new releases.

Omage_X likes this.
  2. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

It's also good to note that the Switch doesn't have much like Ys that I have really seen yet. People wanting a good, strong ARPG are relegated to Ys VIII. And that's fine, it's a great game (albeit NISA attached), and I am hopeful it pushes Falcom to work more towards Switch as a platform. Hell, I'd love to see some Switch exclusives from them even (Popful Mail Remaster, Brandish, new DragonSlayer ;) ). Reading that back just makes me sad because I know those are miles past the vein of a pipe dream xD

Kikki likes this.
  3. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

One of the major points HCG points out was that the Ys VIII Switch version got MANY more video reviews on YT than the PS4 version did, which were apparently non existant. Ys has seemingly hit the mark on Switch and the fans seem behind the console and are doing their part to see that it suceeds, Wood AKA BeatEmUps on YT made a video review comparing Ys to Xenoblade 2 but saying this is the type of Action RPG he preferred over Xenoblade 2 as he didnt care for XB2 ill link that vid here

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

This is very true. The Switch is rife with peculiar indies and puzzle-platformers, but it has very few big, meaty, story-driven games. Basically it's got XC2, BotW (though I'm not entirely comfortable calling that 'story-driven') and Ys VIII. To me it'll be no wonder if it's a raging success on that system.

I love my Switch for the extra options it offers in the way of physical comfort, but its library is still quite pitiful, at least when it comes to the type of game I like. (For reference, my favourite series are Xenoblade, Cold Steel and the Tales games.) People who like that sort of game are pretty starved for it on the Switch. Ys VIII scratched an itch I've had for half a year now.

I finished it this past weekend. (I'm not super speedy but I received my copy a day early.) I only saw 3 text errors and got no glitches, but I know the game went through a lot even before it made it to the Switch, so I don't mean to belittle that. Still, it was really fun. I'm glad I bought it. I'd rather buy from Xseed than from NISA, but with all my physical comfort issues, I'm pretty loyal to the Switch, in spite of its crappy library. (Sorry, Switch, but your library is still filled mostly with crud, from my viewpoint.) I have friends who have sold all their consoles other than the Switch, but I kept all mine and will continue to use them when a game I want to play comes out exclusive to them...but if the Switch is also an option, I'm probably always going to choose it for the aforementioned reason. It's like shoes. When I was in my twenties I wore high heels every day, but I'm too old and crunchy now to bother with any shoes but the most comfortable ones, lol. (Even though they're so ugly...)

5. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

I do want to add that it probably won't be Falcom doing any of the porting in the future. Kondo said in an interview not too long ago that the PS4 versions of Cold Steel and Cold Steel II are likely to be the last ports done in-house, due to manpower requirements and all that. I'm going to guess that we're going to see more coming from that deal with NIS, rather than just Ys VIII.

Omage_X likes this.
  6. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

If the Eshop sales are any indication it at least tells Falcom is interest in looking at partners who can port to the switch.

7. omgfloofy

Who says they haven't already? Like I said in my last post:

Omage_X likes this.
  8. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

LOL Kondo waste no time dose ? XD he sees the Numbers and uses His S Craft

9. Cqef

Cqef Member

It's to be expected. Can't say it's a prospect I look forward to, however.

10. nivora

nivora Active Member

Right now the Switch is in the same place as Steam was when XSEED started publishing older Falcom titles on it. It's easy to become a standout success when your game does not get buried by too many releases.

11. omgfloofy

I don't think numbers were even seen yet? I'm pretty sure the agreement picked up multiple games at once. The only one we know about for the time being is Ys VIII since that's the one that was announced. I'm pretty sure, however, that there are certainly more than just Ys VIII in that contract. Especially considering the way that Kondo and Niikawa talked about it in their joint interview, and from financial reports on the company in recent months.

Kondo said, sometime before the port agreement was announced, that Sen and Sen II's PS4 ports would likely be the last ones done in-house, due to manpower. It's very clear that they're looking for a partnership to hoist off porting responsibilities to, to allow them to focus their attention on developing their games on the system they're more familiar with.

Omage_X likes this.
  12. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

CS 1 and 2 on the switch ? That is something I never thought of

13. omgfloofy

Who knows for sure. I know that Kondo was talking about CS1 and CS2 for PS4 since those just came out. See here and here.

14. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

To be fair to HCG, he's been talking up the Ys series for god knows how long now. Just seems like he got carried away by the hype of Ys VIII blowing up on Switch.

15. EonStrife

EonStrife Member

16. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

So Durante worked his magic and did some massive improvements for the PC version. May be too little to late for some but as an added bonus he added and experimental co-op mode, which is PC exclusive.

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  17. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

Just want to mention, I didn't buy Ys VIII on PC because I didn't want to support them for the inexcusably terrible job they did and because it'd basically be a coin flip whether or not the game would run at all or crash all the time. This news has caused me to reconsider. I trust Durante to do a great job and it seems NISA is open to fixing their mistakes and have started doing better. I intend to get the game on PC at some point in the future now, so it definitely isn't too late in my case. :)

18. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

So you haven't played Ys VIII at all, yet? (I don't do PC gaming, so I played on Switch, and didn't have any issues. Not sure how the PS4 version is.)

19. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Nice, it's a pretty solid game overall so glad you will get to experience it at some point.

Guess that explains why you aren't getting ready for the Crossbell games with the fan translation. PS4 version played fine for me with no obvious problems on launch gameplay wise. That was before the updated translation but I didn't have a problem with it because my brain doesn't catch stuff like that easily. I know some of the lines were bad but I still didn't notice it.

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Since I don't/can't play on PC (my laptop has no real graphics card, just an integrated Intel card...there are a LOT of games that won't play properly on my laptop...but even if there were, PC gaming is not my thing.) I already watched a very complete play-through of the Crossbell games, with a good translation (mostly videos by Lloyd Bannings on YouTube for Zero, then the videos by Pafdingo Trails for Ao. It takes forty hours to watch the full list of videos for Ao...almost as long as it takes to actually play it, lol) so I know everything that happens. :) I don't feel like I'm missing out, at this point.

There was a repeated word once, and I think one typo, and one missing word at the end of a line...and I think those are the only things I ever spotted with the Switch version of Ys VIII. I enjoyed it quite a bit. :)