Ys VIII localized by NISA - Fall 2017 (Vita/PS4/Steam)

Discussion in 'Ys Series' started by Chaosblade77, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

It was unplayable on some 900 series and Polaris cards but both manufacturers fixed that in driver updates. It certainly has a lot of problems, but if they had been fixed in a post-release patch or two it would have never been made out to be a big deal or a go-to example of a terrible port like it has. Even Durante said at release it wasn't a bad port, it just needed a patch or two and it could be a great port, those patches just never came. It's common for ports to release in a state similar to Nier did. What's not common (for publishers other than SE) is to have no intention of supporting their release no matter how many problems arise, and then turn around and blame user error or user PC issues for any problem that arises.

nivora likes this.
  2. EonStrife

EonStrife Member

This great track, has the style and feel similar to the OP of Ys Seven and Celceta. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they planned it to be Ys VIII OP until they changed their mind and in the end they used the one in the final product..

3. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Ys VIII does always confuse me as its opening theme is nothing like any of the others, or like much of what typically associated with the soundtracks in general.
    Although this is mostly the extent of my interaction with the series anyway.

4. introv3rt

introv3rt New Member

I don't think I replied to this. He wasn't from Fargo. But yeah, sounds like the same story =/

5. introv3rt

introv3rt New Member

Does anyone know if the Switch port of this will have the same features/bonus content as the PS4 version? Or will it be the Vita version? I've asked NISA via twitter several times but they're just not answering.

6. strife.v1

strife.v1 Member

I don't know the answer to this, but it would be a bizarre move for NISA to port the lesser Vita version to the Switch over the PS4 version.
    I just assumed it was the PS4 version of the game when it was announced. My assumption means nothing of course.

7. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

According to this NISA blog post, the Switch version is based on the PS4 version:

8. Zerkion

Zerkion Member

Cool. Assuming the porting is good (running hopefully at 60 fps like the PS4 version), I'll consider getting it for the Switch.

9. introv3rt

introv3rt New Member

Excellent! Yeah, I thought it would be odd to port the Vita version, but without anyone confirming it, I wanted to know. I've only played the game on Vita (getting time to play in front of a TV with three little kids is next to impossible), so this means there will be new content for me to look forward to when I get the Switch version. Woohoo!

10. Overlord keroro

Overlord keroro Member

I forgot where I read this but the switch port also has all the dlc in the game. Idk if anyone here mentioned it

11. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

12. Overlord keroro

Overlord keroro Member

13. Chaosblade77

In celebration of this game being made available for the public I decided to pick up Ys Seven on Steam. I was going to buy Celceta too but I forgot it wasn't out yet.

14. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

Four of my friends bought Ys 8 on PC. Every last one of them refunded it within 2 hours since the game either ran at 20 FPS or crashed multiple times... This is definitely a 'Get it on PS4 with the touched up translation' release.

15. Chaosblade77

I'm not sure where it peaked but a few hours ago it was stuck on page 3 in the best sellers list. That's pretty rough; consider most of XSEED's Falcom releases at least spent the better part of a day in the top 10.

Took some real stones to release it at $60 considering the circumstances around this game.

16. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

Given that Ys VIII is pretty much Falcom's big AAA-title, there's no way they'd have sold it for less. And given the game's reputation in Japan there's no way Falcom would have allowed them to sell it for 30 or 40. (not to mention they already put so much extra cash into the development of this tragedy, they'd be sure to lose money if they discounted it)

Last time I checked, there were already like 160 reviews and many of them were like: "this is a bad port that crashes all the time". Right now it's the only Falcom title on Steam with a negative rating. That's a very, very bad thing for NISA. A delayed release is bad PR for a couple of days, but in the long run it's nothing more than a black eye that people will be willing to overlook if the end result is well polished. A negative rating, especially for a triple A priced title, is a disaster because not many of those angry reviewers will be updating their rating even if NISA ends up fixing all the issues.

I imagine they won't be extremely motivated to fix all this after all the delay and bad press, but I still hope they do, because at this point I just want a functioning version of the game. (and hopefully they'll get around to adding redefinable keys and mouse sensitivity while they're at it)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  17. Kipp

Kipp New Member

I'm sure we all felt the same when we first heard the news about NISA getting Ys VIII. And as time passed and we watched the train wreck of delays on top of delays, and the translation having to be completely redone because it was such a crap show... I remember thinking could their involvement with Falcom get any worse? So I checked the Steam page today and looked at all the reviews about the crashes and bugs, and things you would generally hoped would have been fixed across a 7 month delay.

I keep hearing about how outside the scope of NISA, that Ys VIII is an excellent game on Falcom's end. And it makes me sad to know we'll never receive the version it would have deserved had XSEED been the one to do it. Which I know is beating a dead horse at this time, but let me grieve. :(

18. IdiotByProfession

IdiotByProfession New Member

19. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

It wasn't really a 7-month delay...more like a 3-month one since it was in Januari that they said they were sending the game over to a new team to redo the foundation from scratch...which generally takes A LOT longer than 3 months to do properly. The fact it's only been 3 months should have been another huge red flag. They really should have figured that after two delays, people were gonna be picky and this was their one chance to make a good first impression.

At this point, I couldn't care less about another formal apology. I just want the game to be released in playable format, preferably with PC specific controls too. And maybe a video featuring Kondo writing "I will not sell out my franchises to improperly vetted parties in exchange for trips to foreign anime conferences" a hundred times on an old-fashioned blackboard.

20. nivora

nivora Active Member

they still danced around with a developer they knew wasn't up to par until then. They literally waited until the contract lapsed which is nonsensical tbh