Ys VIII localized by NISA - Fall 2017 (Vita/PS4/Steam)

Discussion in 'Ys Series' started by Chaosblade77, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Yunyo_Tovah

Yunyo_Tovah Member

The moment I saw it get picked up by Hachima Blog, I knew NISA was going to be in hot water. Fans sending emails is one thing, but having your bad work openly mocked on the largest Japanese gaming website, read by the entire Japanese game industry, is going to turn heads.

2. nivora

nivora Active Member

Would Aksys have enough manpower for this? They seemingly already couldn't handle TX after all. I think nobody rises against the game because it is smaller and without a big name attached.
    i bet Falcom is very uptight on their reputation in general. Any company would with such a history.
    But part of me also assumes Nisa only has done this to still look good to them. They clearly don't give a rats ass about the quality of their work because it seems a consistent issue with their games. They probably are desperate to keep good contact with Falcom because I bet Ys still sold very well despite all the drama of 1: not xeed getting the game 2) the demo drama 3) release drama and 4) pc port mess.

Omage_X likes this.
  3. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

I mean I'll be honest this just me being very paranoid lol I really hope Aksys just gives up on doing falcom games or just do Tokyo Xanadu games.

4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

The realist and/or pessimist in me doesn't think the 6 week time frame announced is realistic but hey, maybe NISA will be able to move mountains by identifying all the bad text (with new people) and fixing it during this period with all relevant text/VA updates. Hopefully NISA actually plans to do this and it's not just a smokescreen to put the kibosh on the campaign to contact Falcom about the localization quality.

5. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

I'll give them the benefit of doubt. Let's just wait and see what they do after all of this. Also, at least NISA admitted that they messed up to address this. Not a lot of companies do this.

6. Cqef

Cqef Member

https://www.dualshockers.com/ys-viii-falcom-president-licensing-nisa-localization/
    [​IMG]

7. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Maybe they secretly hired XSEED to fix their mess.:D

8. Kipp

Kipp New Member

I'm dying at the: want to make sure it’s done properly, appropriately, and it respects what’s come before, while hopefully bringing it to a much broader range of people as well.

It wasn't done properly, appropriately, and definitely disrespected the quality localization that came before it. It's even more embarrassing that they made statements like that, and then come release time the President of the company has to apologize for it being awful.

I'm glad they admitted it was subpar work, and are actively going to try and fix it, but it should never have been pushed out the gate in its current state, and I really question whether they would have done anything about it had fans not brought out their pitchforks.

9. nivora

nivora Active Member

10. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Given how many mediocre localizations NISA has pumped out over the years (and on platforms where patching certainly is an option), I doubt it. It's not that they're incapable of a decent localization (I don't recall anything kooky with Stranger of Sword City other than a particular line of dialogue that didn't flow correctly, for example - but I don't know how it compares to the original script, either), but these mediocre localizations pop up way too frequently. There's a reason why there was a lot of concern shown in this thread when the original localization announcement popped up in February...

What's funny is Persona 5 had a LOT of the same sort of problems with its localization for largely the same reasons (a lot of people working on it who did a lot of literal lines that were awkward at best). Tough industry and all, but I'd personally rather have a localization done right than as fast as possible.

11. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

The only difference between this and Persona 5 is that there's some sort of bias in regards to Atlus USA and Persona since a lot more people love Atlus USA compare to NISA.

12. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Persona 5's script was much bigger, and has many stretches that are really excellent.
    Don't know about Ys VIII though.

13. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

There's also the issue that NISA outbid XSEED just to ruin it all and that NISA is already hated for censoring games and having inconsistent translations.
    I doubt if would have been this bad if XSEED somehow released that game with the same translation simply because they do decent localization.

It's a shame it ended up that way because I love that CE and would have bought it if the game was handled better.

14. Overlord keroro

Overlord keroro Member

So that explains why ys 8 was in this guys recent play list on steam.
    But idk I think the issue was scheduling & management. Just depends on who takes charge of the project and makes sure nothing goes wrong imo. I mean V3 came out great.

15. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

Persona 5 suffered from portions being done by a poor translator/editor. It's very clear what parts were and weren't translated by certain people as there is a constant lack of consistency between styles.
    Ys 8 goes between 'That is an incredibly literal translation' to 'This line was machine translated'.

introv3rt likes this.
  16. introv3rt

introv3rt New Member

I have no idea what their budget is for Ys VIII, but I'll say this: a two month turnaround for a script doctoring job, pickup sessions with voice talent, edit, master, implementation and submission/cert is doable. It's not cheap or easy, but it's doable. Someone's going to have a lot of late nights getting this done though, which tells me they're concerned about this having a negative impact on their future with Falcom.

I say this with 14 years' experience in game sound, and the last eight years as one of the audio directors for a major game franchise. I've done cleanup duty on epic VO/script screwups before :)

What I said about NISA's motivation is total speculation btw, I don't know anyone involved. But they're trying to move a mountain over this, so someone has lit a fire under their butts.

17. BeyondEntity

BeyondEntity New Member

Disheartening to have a great game handled with such lack of care. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I can't imagine the level of frustrations the staff at XSEED must be feeling right now with NISA, and rightfully so. Same can be said with Falcom; NISA damaged, if not - destroyed, any potential future work from them.

18. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Two months is very quick for "cleaning up" a script though, as that's not an easy task when it's already been "done", seems a bit over ambitious maybe.
    Have to wait and see.

19. Cqef

Cqef Member

To me they just didn't learn from their mistakes. The initial localisation was obviously rushed with little to no editing, and they're trying to fix it by rushing it again. Nothing good can come out of this.
    And I'm willing to bet that they didn't start their "revision effort" until they've been caught red-handed through either the emailing campaign to Falcom or the Japanese gaming sites relaying said email.

All this mess happening to Ys VIII is mortifying.

20. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

By all indications the game sold well, so I doubt NISA blew any further opportunities yet. But the issues aren't a good look any if it proves to have damaged mindshare that will be a real problem.