Ys: Memories of Celceta coming to PC this Summer

Discussion in 'Ys Series' started by Trails of Persona, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Hyde really has gone above and beyond. Their Ys Seven port was already incredibly solid, but their Celceta port is on a whole other level. They definitely disprove the old chestnut that Japanese companies don't know how to program for modern PCs!

-Tom

2. nivora

nivora Active Member

Will this port have better controller support when you don't use an XBOX controller?

I recently sat down to finally play Ys Seven using my DS4 (as i've played all prior releases before besides 1+2) and i feel the game is lacking a lot in this department, despite being a game that initially was designed with controller-like controls. I could not remap my buttons, said button maps do not show anything besides "button 1" which is asinine to me as i have no clue if X, O, Square, Start or maybe L2 is supposed to be Button 1. In theory i would be fine with this but it has shown to be problematic when i am trying to figure out how to use the equippable skills making the gameplay reduced heavily for a game that seems to be intended on you utilising these skills to the fullest.
    This also reflects in the tutorial screens only showing button prompts for an XBOX controller. In that regard Durante's ports of Cold Steel where a lot clearer to me.

3. IdiotByProfession

IdiotByProfession New Member

Not sure about the tutorial, but the button prompts have to be manualy selected in the in-game options. options are mouse+keyboard, dualshock, xbox and a wiered "PC classic" which is bassically what you'd get when you open the ganepad setting in your control panel.

4. Wyrdwad

Nivora: You are absolutely able to remap controls in Ys Seven, AND change the button display to show Xbox or DualShock buttons instead of PC classic button displays! If you can't find the options for this in-game, try the launcher -- they're definitely there.

And as IdiotByProfession noted, it's the same in Ys Celceta -- the options are there and very clearly labeled in the launcher. So you should have no trouble. (I do believe we've ensured it's a little clearer this time around, though, to avoid any confusion such as what you experienced with Ys Seven! Sorry about that.)

-Tom

5. nivora

nivora Active Member

I'll need to look at the in-game settings then i guess. I did try remapping from the launcher but it just did not respond.

6. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

@Wyrdwad if you guys were given the chance/ability/programmers would you guys at Xseed want to port the rest of the YS games like memories of celceta, Oath felghana etc on the switch ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    NesterTheLark likes this.
  7. Wyrdwad

I guess? I dunno. I think that would be cool, personally, but I can't speak for anyone else!

-Tom

NesterTheLark and Omage_X like this.
  8. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Sorry if that was a strange question Tom, I asked because during the Shareholders meeting a few weeks ago Falcom' said there are interested in working with Partners who can port more of their games on the switch, so I was kinda curious how you guys would handled that, feel free not to answer if its NDA stuff.

9. Wyrdwad

Yes, that sort of thing would definitely fall under NDA. If it's not something we've announced, we can't say anything in particular about it beyond "Yes, that sounds cool," basically.

-Tom

NesterTheLark and Omage_X like this.
  10. Nakazato_Senpai

Nakazato_Senpai New Member

It's a shame that We, the venerable PC Gaming Master Race, had to wait years just for the opportunity to play this game. Even worse, it seems like Japanese games don't sell particularly well on PC at all, and only have "novelty" sales. With this in mind, it justifies why PC must wait until durante finishes the latest cgdct anime before working on a port; the console versions have to pay for the PC versions down the line, and the PC versions are a mere gig on the side of the street compared to the concerts that are consoles.

11. Wyrdwad

That's... not actually true at all!

For one thing, Durante has nothing to do with this port. It's being worked on by Hyde, the same company that ported Ys Seven for us.

Also, PC sales of the Ys games have done extremely well for us over the years -- arguably better than the series' handheld sales, overall! The only reason the ports are taking so long is because, until recently, we didn't know anyone who could port games from console to PC for us. Now that we do, though, we've been working with them to release quality PC ports one after another, at what I feel is a pretty nice clip. We simply chose to focus our resources on Ys Seven before Celceta (since Seven was more in need of an HD upgrade, having been released on a less capable handheld system originally), and our two Trails of Cold Steel games before that (since they're more or less Falcom's flagship titles at this point, and arguably among our most popular games). Celceta had to wait its turn in line behind those titles... but really, I don't think we kept it waiting all that long! We've only been porting games from console/handheld to PC for, what... two years now?

-Tom

nivora likes this.
  12. Nakazato_Senpai

I was actually being facetious, but that's good to know. I do have a serious question though, and considering you've divulged technical information before, this should probably be OK to share as well.

1) When you play this game on a computer with multiple monitors, does it pan across all of them, or does it only render on the center screen? If it pans on all the monitors, do they showcase any side effects, such as stretched HUD, or maybe the game's own screen is stretched across them? I know multi monitor setups are uncommon (you probably don't have one for all I know), and it's not really expected of a game to support them natively.

2) Does the game feature any way to adjust the field of view, or at least camera distance? I know the game has a fixed perspective, but perhaps you could zoom in or out with the mouse wheel, or if the game has an FoV slider of sorts. Again, I'm not expecting a game like this to have an FoV slider or anything to adjust the camera.

3) Audio. Are there separate volume sliders, assuming the game has them? Does the game support surround sound? And if so, what versions? I'm not sure how one would find this particular information, but I may as well ask. Finally, I'm assuming this game will feature subtitles, can they be toggled on or off? Very few games actually feature them, Half Life 2 being one of the most popular games to do so, but does it have closed captions? That is, do the subtitles also describe text, or are they for dialog only?

4) Is this the same game as the 2015 Chinese PC version, or is it different under the hood? If it's the same game, has the Chinese version been patched to support these new features? Is the same company behind the Chinese version as well as the new Steam version? Google tells me that a company called "Joyoland" was responsible for the Chinese PC version, but perhaps they were the publisher.

5) Finally, on the steam page, it curiously says that there are in fact no English subtitles, but there are Japanese subtitles. Is this a goof up?

13. Wyrdwad

1) I'm actually not sure, but I think it supports multi-monitor setups. How the HUD is handled during this, I don't know, but I doubt it's stretched, since the HUD is already split into chunks that would be easy to position without doing so.

2) The original Vita version included some minor zoom options that used the touchscreen (pinch out to zoom in, pinch in to zoom out), and the PC version duplicates this with the right analog stick if you're using a controller with dual analog sticks, or whatever buttons you assign to this function if not. Additionally, you can set specific draw distance options via the game's launcher, to determine from how far away characters or objects will be visible.

3) Separate volume sliders, yes. Surround sound, no, I don't believe so. And the game does NOT include subtitles, as all dialogue is written in actual dialogue boxes. There is no spoken-only dialogue that would require subtitles. So no, no description text, and no closed captions. Just dialogue boxes.

4) 100% different. Hyde ported this game from Vita to PC for us, from scratch -- same as with Ys Seven's port from PSP. No part of Joyoland's Chinese version was used.

5) I assume the reason the Steam page says this is because our PC version includes the ability to play with Japanese text instead of English text. But they aren't actually subtitles -- again, just dialogue boxes.

-Tom

14. Nakazato_Senpai

I'd assume that "subtitles" is a catch-all term encompassing any written text that is also spoken by characters, be it at the bottom of the screen, in speech bubbles, or in dialog boxes. That being said, can they be toggled on or off? Out of curiosity, was there any technical reason for making a separate PC version as opposed to modifying Joyoland's version, similarly to how the re-issued Falcom PC games were? If I'd have to fathom a guess, I suppose you couldn't come to an agreement with Joyoland, if you were able to contact them at all.

Also, in post #21, you seem to have implied that Hyde is a Japanese developer, and is handling the PC version. Regarding conversions, have you ever attempted to contact the infamous contract developer TOSE for them? They haven't done much recently, their newest game was 2016's (2017 for PC) World of Final Fantasy, and even then they were a co-developer, but I was always amused by this company who was responsible for a lot of games, and wondered if they ever done conversions.

15. Wyrdwad

Can the dialogue boxes be toggled off, do you mean? If so, then no, they can't -- there'd be no reason for that, because honestly, Celceta has very little voice-acting. Only the scenes introducing new characters tend to be fully voiced, and they're usually only maybe 10 or so dialogue boxes in length, if that. The rest of the game uses general-purpose voices, like a character occasionally yelling "All right!" if they're excited (regardless of what the actual text box says) -- though of course, this isn't on every text box, but maybe every 5th or 8th text box or so. I'm sure you've played a few other games like this before, as it's kind of a JRPG standard, and certainly is a standard in a lot of other Falcom games.

Regarding why we didn't use Joyoland's version, of course the fact that we'd have to establish a contract with yet another company is part of it (and we couldn't really ask Joyoland to handle the English localization programming, considering none of us speak a lick of Chinese, so we'd have a LOT of trouble communicating with them!). But also, the Joyoland port is pretty renowned for featuring some rather extreme DRM that's integrated into basically every part of the gameplay, to the point that it actually affects the game's performance on weaker machines. Using that as a basis for an HD upgrade seemed like it would be unnecessarily difficult, when the Vita version itself could basically be straight-ported to PC rather easily, then upgraded from there. And that's exactly what Hyde did: they first ported the game, then tweaked and refined it in the way only Hyde can do.

And yes, Hyde is a Japanese company, but they're one of the best porting houses out there IMHO. We took a chance on them with Ys Seven, and they delivered in spades, so we knew they were the company we wanted to work with for Celceta as well. TOSE is great, but we've had no reason to approach them for any porting jobs yet, since we've consistently had help thus far from absolute aces like Durante, Hyde, and -- of course -- good ol' Sara! Not to mention all the Japanese devs who've taken to handling their PC ports themselves, which seems to be becoming more and more common now that PC is becoming more and more viable as a platform even in Japan (you'll note a lot more bilingual English/Japanese releases from us in recent years because of this; Japanese companies handle the PC ports, and we use our Steam, GOG, and Humble Store connections, plus our considerable PR experience with PC games at this point, to partner with them for publishing worldwide).

-Tom

16. Nakazato_Senpai

Yeah, I imagine communication between you and the Chinese would be tricky, and I did read about the DRM, I imagine that it somehow makes Denuvo look tame by comparison! The reason I mentioned TOSE is because, until the future, most Japanese games are rarely ported in-house, and if they are, they are ported later. MGSV is probably one of the only Japanese games to have a simultaneous console and PC launch in Japan, all others either aren't sold in Japan, or waited for the (sometimes lengthy) localization to coincide with the PC version, as was the case with Dark Souls 3. Inevitably, there will be more projects on the horizon than you will have porters, which is why I mentioned TOSE and if you'd ever consider them as an extra set of hands. I can't speak for their PC capabilities, if they have any, but this company is very peculiar in many gaming circles as they've handled so many games since 1981, and working with a 'shadow developer' as they were nicknamed would probably be interesting. But I digress, like you said a good number of Japanese developed games get in-house conversions, so hiring even more companies wouldn't be so cost effective I reckon.

17. nivora

nivora Active Member

@Wyrdwad I want to give a follow-up just to let you know that i have figured it out now, i actually am doing my third sanctum already. Looking forward to Celceta, i'm really curious how much better it will look as a Vita game compared to SEVEN being a PSP game.

I want to add on this that these games probably would not work zoomed out more than Falcom makes it possible right now if other games are to go by from that era of their development. They started experimenting with fixed camera angles with SEVEN, then went deeper in it with development of Zero no Kiseki where they made most everything fixed (compared to Sky's camera being able to rotate) as a smart means to save on resources + time to model locations. If you would turn the camera in this scenarios nothing would show up as if a black void. It's not unlike how some locations of Sky reveal their limited map when playing widescreen.

18. Wyrdwad

Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, and Origin are like that too. All three games use fixed camera angles, and when expanded to widescreen, all three games revealed some gaps in the 3D modeling that players were never meant to see -- many of which we were able to cover up, but a few of which are still there if you look closely enough.

Also, glad you were able to get Ys Seven's controller bindings working now! Please let us know if you have any other issues, as we're always happy to help.

-Tom

nivora likes this.
  19. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Now the next step is to make the camera rotate in those games :p Now that would be an undertaking.

20. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

All I can think of when considering this is some images I saw of A Link Between Worlds with the camera broken, and the way lots of stuff was modeled to make it look good from the fixed perspective was trippy. I don't think doing the same to an Ys game would yield quite as extreme results, but I still wonder...