Yoru No Nai Kuni (Ps Vita And Ps3/ps4)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by asdronin, Sep 6, 2015.

1. novurdim

novurdim New Member

I doubt it, but who knows. They look exactly the kind of disgusting corporation that would do something like that. I'll probably just boycott all KT games altogether if they don't change their minds.

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

So you would give up on titles that they DO bring over as a Vita copy? That also sends a message, too, and shows that you aren't really into Vita games in the first place, really. "Boycotting" doesn't send a message like many people on the internets seem to believe. Less sales = less titles to bring over.

3. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

It doesn't really make any sense to assume Sony is doing something shady and preventing a Vita version. It's far more likely KT just doesn't feel the Vita has enough of an audience to support the game, especially since it is coming out on PS4 (which most Vita owners also likely own).

Plus KT said on twitter they are going to reconsider the Vita version due to all the complaints.

4. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

KT would be insane not to put a digital version of the game for other platforms since it is a very small part of the total localization process. It is ridiculous to think that a PS3 or a PSV version would not pay the costs.

On the other hand, Sony has a lot of benefits if PSV and PS3 versions are shafted. They don't need reasons to keep giving the minimum support to hardware they want to phase out as quickly as possible (it is not only selling consoles, there is infrastructure to maintain, multiple manufacturing lines of accessories, etc). Besides, with everything being exclusive to PS4, they can force many audiences that are not AAA focused to shift to PS4 as soon as possible. Besides, they make PS4 stronger to compete against anything that is launched by Microsoft or Nintendo, since apart from Microsoft and Nintendo diehard fans, PS4 would be a no-brainer with a gigantic library and lots of exclusives, discouraging combinations like Vita for Japanese games and XB1 for AAA, or Vita or PS3 for indies & niche and Nintendo hardware for a dozen exclusives.

5. Chaosblade77

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Even if Sony is winding down their support for the Vita that doesn't mean games can't be release for it. See the PSP since 2012 or so. I can see them providing incentives for Japanese publishers to develop PS4 versions of their games, but not actively discouraging Vita or PS3 support.

6. asdronin

asdronin New Member

Sorry I couldnt reply earlier, well you are lucky to be able to read Japanese then, you could pick this game even if its not localized for the Vita (or your favorite format) and understand all the story, as for myself I dont own a PS4 so if its not localized for the Vita then maybe I would pick it in Japanese and lose half of the story I guess, lets hope they reconsider this anti Vita campaign. Oh and Knights in the Nightmare was quite entertaining game as I remember might return to it some day thanks for bringing this =).

Also... well I know its not really an anti Vita issue across all companies, just somehow here in the west, I mean the Vita catalogue here seems to be a lot lower compared to games released in Japan, many of these being Vita exclusive, I mean I know KT maybe is only seeing numbers and maybe even after making all the localization process they need to pay a lot to even release a digital version of the game in other format like Vita or Ps3, but still it feels like Sony is making a kind of trend in the west like the Vita is finished and nobody should make or localize games for that, but they dont even have plans for another handheld and the Vita hardware is still being sold and produced... am I missing something here? why Sony wants to sink it in the west? they are not even talking about it in their events like its already floating on the water.

I agree with you in most of this, but if thats the case why they made the Vita? I mean its like they only want a market with one console at a time (Ps4 Ps5 etc) to compete against other companies

As a final note yes, lets hope they release Yoru no nai kuni finally localized for the Vita, but I hope they get to a physical release too, Im starting to dislike this trend to release the few games they want to bring in only digital form, space is not infinite (uh yes I know...).

7. tilinelson2

They made the Vita because they didn't know what would happen by 2009, when they must have started working on the prototypes of the final product. Back then, PS3 was still trailing far behind its competitors (it was by 2009 that PS3 had its "soft relaunch" that changed its fortunes), and the handheld market seemed more promising than ever, as both DS and PSP were seeing strong sales. Remember that in 2009 smartphones were expensive devices filled with shovelware, where not even things like Angry Birds existed.

Back to 2012, they had a completely different market. Handhelds collapsed quickly (even the "hugely successful" 3DS will lose more than 50% of its predecessor market), and Sony was left again in the position of spend loads of money to try to recover the market share of VIta or let it die. The prospects of the handheld market are not good, and Sony knows that even a "successful" successor to Vita will likely sell as much as a complete failure like Vita has sold. They didn't have any guarantee that PS4 would sell well, and were preparing themselves to stretch PS3 lifecycle as much as possible, with things like Wonderbook (which flopped), just in case PS4 had a slow start like PS3. They were also ready to push for a soft relaunch of Vita, as they had started in Japan late 2013 (but ended prematurely), in case they needed it.

However, after the unexpected dominance of PS4 since the beginning (mostly due to Nintendo and Microsoft screwing their products), it didn't take long for Sony to repurpose all their game division around PS4. All plans for Vita were scrapped (Sony has not announced any Vita game since PS4 launch), and they tried to turn it into a companion device for PS4. They also abandoned all PS3 support in order to force customers to migrate to PS4. They know that PS3 "victory" was a pyrrhic victory, giving the amount of money they had to burn to reach close to their competitors, so they are doing the most they can so that PS4 becomes the console of choice against every other option.

A PS4 exclusive is more worthy for their strategy than a PS3 or PSV game, even if it sell less. They don't see the handheld market as having future in the mass market, and their situation is different from Nintendo, so that they have even less reasons to invest on hardware that will not sell much. So better have all the games on their console, which they see as having future in the mass market.

8. kytos

kytos New Member

Apparently it's really expensive to put a game on more than one console. That's what the guy making Mighty No. 9 said anyway.

9. asdronin

asdronin New Member

I see TiliNelson2, thanks for explaining it =), that makes a lot more sense now, but seeing what you said it seems like the Vita soft relaunch made in Japan is not totally over or at least it seems some important companies are still making their games availables for the Vita too and even some Vita exclusives, I know they might be going against what Sony is making and advising but then what are they doing? is it maybe that the system sells better in Japan but globaly it seems like a failure for Sony right now? if thats the case then I guess it might be profitable to make a game for the Vita if the company is aiming at the Japanese market but not the other way around, am I totally wrong?

And Kytos, I think it might be expensive to put a game on more than one console, maybe its more expensive for small company like his or they go on small budget and cant risk any cent, still it makes me wonder why he delayed Mighty Nº9 while he was announcing the development of a XBO exclusive tittle? I mean his hands were suppossedly full at that time.

Ah I forgot to ask one fact about this, if they are maybe shafting the localization for other non PS4 platforms then should we assume its also expensive to localize the game for other consoles? I mean not just making the game like the guy behind Mighty Nº9 said but making the localization for them, as TiliNelson2 stated most of the hard work is done after localizing for one console so dropping for the other seems like crazy unless its really expensive to localize for other system too.

Edit: In this conference its somehow noticeable what I was saying earlier, the Vita isnt seen as dead in the East but they are trying to vanish it in the West, see for yourselves, they open the conference with this

10. novurdim

novurdim New Member

I'm not trying to send a message, really. I'm simply fed up and going to invest in companies with more dignity instead.
    Make - yes. Translate? Not even remotely. They are not scrapping a vita-port, ya know.

11. tilinelson2

About Vita in Japan, sure, some important companies are making Vita games (nothing groundbreaking, but lots of midsized games). However, none are Sony games, and Sony is not only redirecting Vita games to PS4, like Gravity Rush, but is also doing nothing to make the other companies to invest on Vita. In fact, it was rather funny if not tragic that the guy from Sony stuttered when he was to say Vita on World of Final Fantasy reveal at E3. Not only that, but the fact that the handheld division doesn't even appear on recent Sony financial reports mean that they don't have any future plans of expectations for Vita. It may still sell a couple million units per year in the next two or three years, but Sony part on Vita's fate will probably be just manufacture enough units to supply the demand and make a few low investiment - low return actions, like releasing new colors and bundles from time to time.

What happens in Japan is that handhelds are much more viable than home consoles right now, and despite Vita not being a success there either, it is not a failure like in the west. Besides, PS4 is in a much worse situation than Vita in Japan, having sold less than half the number of Vitas (1.8m to 4.2m), and the market for it is generally much less attractive, especially for niche companies. Making a Vita version (and many times a PS3 version) is mandatory for many companies to consider putting a product in Sony consoles. In Japan, they are still at the stage of having to convince companies to make a PS4 version as well as the originally planned versions.

Some companies that were convinced to put niche games on PS4 have, in general, achieved no success. Late ports in general flopped completely, as well as niche PS4 exclusive games like Omega Quintet and Disgaea 5 (no wonder NIS and Compile Heart have announced only Vita exclusives since then). Other games launched simultaneosly didn't perform very well on PS4, often selling much less than Vita and PS3 counterparts (like God Eater 2: RB, Senran Kagura Estival, One Piece: PW3). Putting games on Vita and PS3 when they are aimed at the Japanese market is most of the time a lot more profitable than to put them on PS4. If Sony would try to convince the publishers to put their Japanese games exclusively on PS4, these games would end up on 3DS instead. That is why the situation is different in Japan.

12. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

I talked to a few guys at SDCC/E3 about this, and even though for multiplat games the company might have the script completed, inserting it in to other versions might not be as simple as inserting it into one - even for the same game, depending on the platform, the way that text is inputted can differ, and therefore actually inserting the translation and editing it can take plenty of time and money to accomplish. That's part of the reason why Bandai Namco didn't ultimately patch SAO:HF on Vita - although they had the new script from the PS4 release, actually implementing it when the game had already been out for a while simply wouldn't have been worth the effort for them.

Hell; hasn't Hatsuu/Sara talked about how there have been text issues with TitS?

13. novurdim

novurdim New Member

I see what you are trying to do, but now it sounds even less hard and/or costly than some people were trying to make it out to be on some of the other sites in desperate attempts to justify KT's actions lol
    It's understandble in the SAO HF's case, but this one is sheer silliness. I can almost guarantee that the reasoning behind this decision is smth among the lines of "hey, west loves ps4 so a mythical ps4-exclusive status would let us sell more!" Quite despicable, if you ask me.

14. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

It sounds like you aren't well-versed with business, especially that of the niche kind, since you make it seem like they are rolling in money and are doing this on purpose. When being smaller, it's not a game of "this will make more!" but a "will this LOSE us money?" Stuff is expensive. Will they make, not only the money they used to make something, but actually profit and make it worthwhile? Maybe this one would be more expensive to port, and seeing their sales on past Vita titles, didn't think it would be a good idea, but with the number of people wanting it, are re-evaluating to think if it would be worth doing.

But ya know, if you think that ALL the companies are doing it on purpose, you can believe whatever you want.

15. novurdim

novurdim New Member

That's the point, they are not PORTING it. Do you seriously believe that they won't break even from a text insertion and a small re-coding? With the right tools amateurs are doing it all the time for the other consoles and will do for vita if it will ever be hacked. They face tech difficulties at times and stall releases for months but do you really think it poses much of a problem and money for a company like Tecmo? They may not be huge but they are not exactly indie either. Or that the fees are so humongous? I doubt that they even have to pay much extra for the additional platform except a form of an entrance fee. From the way Chin Soon worded it, the decision looks like an image one, not about losing money because it's so crazily expensive to drop a translation on an aditional platform. It's a new IP and they want to launch it with a superiority aura.

Let's face it, you are also shooting in the dark and don't sound very convincing. Tecmo are ready to release even games like SW Chronicles on the vita which only the hardcorest of the hardcore buy but won't allow a vita-localization of the new IP because of the reasons far beyond viability. Also I'm not sure I understand the last bit. The only ones who did something like that in the past are bamco, when they had zero games on vita and didn't care enough to test the waters.

16. Chaosblade77

I don't get why people are trying to attribute malice to a party. It's like you want someone to be upset with.

KT probably just didn't think localizing the Vita version was worthwhile since it probably won't sell all that well, and the assumption that most western players would rather have it on PS4 anyway. People complained, now they are reconsidering.

And I still want to see some uncut gameplay because I'm not sold on this yet.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up, but people gotta be mad at something! Small company not releasing a port is not the same as a big company ignoring a game completely (or going DD-only as the only option), despite people begging for it :/

Also, considering SW Warriors on Vita mentioned above, it was close to a launch title when everyone was trying out with putting new games on a system (they even put out Deception IV too), with their musou games already being an established thing. That versus a new IP which they have NO idea how it will sell, are 2 completely different things. Even if SW Warriors is a "hardcore" thing,they still figured it would be worth giving it a shot. Not so much anymore though, due to poor system sales over the years its been out, so it's a risk to most, depending on the company, their sales, and what might work for them.

18. novurdim

novurdim New Member

You are not very well versed in KT games. I'm talking about SW Chronicles, not the mainline games, which are not perfoming that bad. A little earlier this year they localized a stillborn SW Chronicles 3 for vita and 3ds, that game is pretty humdrum compared to the main games and (considering the overabundance of warriors games on vita) couldn't do well. And it didn't. If they can release games that hopeless, I kinda doubt you can be afraid of anything. And yes, they recently localized a midquel for Deception too, which has been fated to sell less than any GUST game from the moment of its birth. And after all that they are afraid to lose money with Kuni on multiplat? Ha. Ha ha.
    But you guys can believe what you want to believe. I don't want "somebody to be upset with it", people are already upset, thanks to KT. Even if they are just bad at numbers or extreme cowards, which I doubt, that still doesn't change a fact that this idiotic decision has been made and they are pretty much the first to make it, becoming an ideal target for my spite and disappointment.

And KT is not that small, stop it. Seriously. Also you are going to mislead people into believing that they don't want TO PORT the game with your weird phrasing, while in reality they just don't want to work a 100% done translation into an already finished vita-version. Which is also a multiplat, doubtful you can call it a port in this situation, it could very well be the main console during the development or simply a very important part, considering all the tech limitations you have to watch out for.

19. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Video games.

(been a while since Ivy's been here)

20. tilinelson2

Based on what? The stellar sales of niche games on PS4?

But suddenly a dozen people complaining on Twitter caused the company to change their minds almost immediately.

Yeah, the probably of something like that happening must not be under 99.999999%