With The New Forums Here Now, A Problem Will Crop Up.

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by beginner, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

HUGS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

*pat pat* I know that all too well... Lots of fanboy/suck-ups on there that will stand up for no matter what Atlus does, even if you post a concern.You just get called "entitled" and get thrown sarcastic remarks by people who WORK there, even...
    Ugh :/

3. Cqef

Cqef Member

You got mocked just because you asked about the "Shin Megami Tensei" title dropping..? Even by staff-member..? WTF :blink:

4. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Thats the Atlus Forums for ya. I once made a suggestion that they use a sticker or something on the game boxes to indicate they included a cd instead of printing it directly on the box, as a matter of aesthetics, and I got flamed right outta the forums.

You hear all kindsa stuff about Nintendo Loyalists, Sony Ponies, and Xbots, but those Atlus guys take defending Atlus to a whole nother level.

5. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Perhaps "mocked" was too strong of a word to use, but I was definitely written-off and told that I was getting "worked up" for no reason. Basically, I asked them what the reasoning for changing the way the games were labeled here was and I asked if this was going to be the new standard in localizing the franchise in the future (to make it closer to how the franchise is handled in Japan) or if it was just being done with the Persona 4 stuff. A staff member responded with "You guys sure do get worked up about branding", without actually addressing what I asked, and then a few other members chimed in with stuff of the "what do you expect, they get worked up over everything" nature.

In reviewing the situation, it wasn't as bad as I was remembering it. But it was sort of like the "last straw" for me. Before that, I had already had a few negative experiences. I didn't like the way they handled the Catherine localization fiasco (where they said it was Japan only at first, but then announced it later), they had staff members mocking users for taking what they said at face value, and they wrote me off for the first time there. There was also a really bad argument that popped up there where one user was doing a lot of "otaku bashing", calling anyone who buys pillows with anime characters on them creepy pathetic pedophiles and they went pretty far with it, eventually calling anyone who even just finds an animated character attractive a pathetic person. It's not really the kind of thing I expected to see on an Atlus forum, but what really disappointed me was that the staff and mods didn't do anything about it, in fact one of them even posted a link to a video from a show further making fun of people who buy stuff like that. It really felt like people there were generalizing and insulting a whole sub-culture of people based on preconceived and ridiculous notions, and then they got a high-five from the staff for doing so. It all felt really insulting and hypocritical from the company that brought us Persona 4 and then would later go on to HAVE a pillow case in the Catherine LE. So those few incidents had me pretty upset with them, and then that last example of them writing me off when asking about the SMT titles was the last straw. I haven't been back there since.

Again, though, those are just my isolated experience. Plus, I am known for becoming overly-emotional and over-reacting at some things. I'm sure that there are way more awesome people working at Atlus USA and on their forums than there are bad people, and I just had bad luck with my experiences. I wouldn't want this thread to turn into "Atlus USA bashing", either, as that would be wrong of us. But, yeah, all I was trying to say is that we're not Atlus USA Forums.

6. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, you definitely don't have to worry about anything like that here. There were some problems on the old forums, but they almost universally arose from people breaking our current Rule 3 -- people who were so strongly opposed to us releasing a game digital-only, for example, that they'd essentially reply to every single positive post anyone made about the game telling them not to support digital-only gaming and that we were anti-consumer for going that route. The first five or six times, I would keep my cool and respond calmly, explaining in detail why the game was being released digital-only, and how we're not any happier to do that than the fans but really don't have much other choice... but yeah... these people were persistent, and absolutely would not let anyone discuss the merits of the game without butting in to make things unpleasant for everyone again.

And while I do sympathize with their plight, there comes a time where that kind of badgering becomes less "fighting for what's right" and more "being a jerk." ;)

So yeah, that's the biggest thing to watch out for around here, I'd say. We're never, ever going to poke fun at you guys for expressing your opinions or making suggestions, because that's the sort of thing we thrive on -- we'd be nothing without you, after all! ;)

-Tom

7. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

It goes to show you how people take these things seriously. To be honest in my opinion, that's pretty sad. If the only way for us to obtain Burst in NA through digital, I would gladly accept that cause I've been dying to play it after watching a crap load of videos of it from the Japanese version.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Yeah Kin was there with me for that one issue. I was mainly pointing out their new no-manual deal for 3DS and vot super flamed for liking it. Atlus used to be known for those but guess thry dont care anymore. That was my second issue with them and I havent returned since.

And yeah xseed had a bad apple every now and then, but of course one person cant speak for the general forum. Toms good about not booting people unless they wont stop and upset everyone.

9. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Wish we've had more people like that on our side of things over the years. I've seen both people get banned when they shouldn't have and people not get banned long after they should have been.

10. TheSlappyOne

TheSlappyOne New Member

I'm not.
    I'm a mean, mean man.
    So hip, so bad.

11. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

I took a look at that one thread on online side where that one administrator asked about games people would be interested in, and the overwhelming response was to take better care of the games they already had. But I don't think that admin ever showed up in the thread again. Tom is much better at keeping in touch with us. Pretty much all the mods/admins on this side are the actual Xseed employees responsible for localization and actually bringing us the games, and we really appreciate the personal touch of them taking time to talk with us, even though they're usually extremely busy.

12. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Yeah, it's been really hard to actually stay in contact with the staff on the online side. It was like that for years, back when it was still Atlus Online. We've had a few really awesome and helpful people every once in awhile (Omelet, Bacon's Taken, etc.) but they always wind up leaving. So I really have no idea what the problem is. I can't comment on the MMOs needing to be taken better care of, since I don't play them, but it's definitely frustrating to not get a response to an overwhelming request. I've also never worked on that side of things, though, so I have no idea how much their hands are tied with what they can and can't do or say. But there's definitely always been a problem with basic communication. We've also had the Social Corner section go pretty much entirely unmoderated for the majority of the time since 2009. Even with all the staff changes, none of them ever bothered.

13. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

The anime section on that side seems like it used to be pretty nice, but looks like it took a big dive in user activity sometime around 2012 or so. I'd love to use it since it seems more oriented at talking about individual shows in their own threads, and I'd suggest it for the rest of us Xseeders, but I feel a bit odd about going around necroing everything I want over there, especially not knowing if anyone is paying attention.

14. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Nobody has a problem necro-ing threads over there. Do whatever you want. Er, well, I'd say don't go past 2011 or so. Not out of any forum rules, but because I was a complete idiot on here in 2009 and 2010 and hate seeing my old posts. I'm still an idiot sometimes, but I think the super older threads are probably better left dead. But if it's something you really want to talk about, just necro it anyway. We've never been moderated, so we necro threads and make duplicate threads all the time.

I definitely do like how we have our anime and video games sections set up, where we had individual topics to talk about what we wanted. But both sections definitely did die off years ago. It was a result of nobody new coming over to the Social sections. It's been the same 10-15 people the entire time for the past few years, and we all just talk in the Fantastic Happy Time MSD Bar thread. I'd be thrilled to see the Anime or Video Games sections make a comeback over there, or otherwise I'll probably make some posts on your Anime and Video Games every once in awhile. It's still weird we have two sections for them now, since I go to the homepage and see both sections at once.

15. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

That might be a problem then, I'll have to go back to look and see the date on the thread for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, lol. XD

16. MainCharacter

MainCharacter Goddess

Oh, don't worry about that one. Revive it or make a new thread for it, do whatever you want. I love Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

17. SquatDingloid

SquatDingloid New Member

Well this is just unfamiliar and unheard of I can not imagine

18. Leilee

Leilee New Member

I rarely post on the Atlus Forums.
    Its not that the people there are bad, the forums aren't even that active afterall. The problem comes in from some very vocal minorities who find strange problems with the games like...

EO VI: The LE Box, yes, the box, has a graphic on it stating it is limited edition instead of being a sticker. There were some very peeved collectors on there over it.
    EO VI AGAIN: Terro brought it up, but there was a serious issue coming across about the manual thing. I was pretty neutral I think, but there were some people who really went overboard in their conversation there lol.
    EO: Untold: You can change the difficulty while playing the game. This was a big no no to some people and should not be allowed because it somehow will "cheapen the game experience". Pretty crazy stuff, trying to make some niche game become more accessible peeves off some of the fanbase.

Really vocal minority rabid fans can really make your enjoyment of something a lot less...enjoyable with this kind of talk. They prefer to treat it like an exclusive fan club rather than being inclusive for anyone and everyone.
    That's probably where the biggest differences lie between the Atlus and Xseed forums. And you can see over time which one is doing better overall. ;3

19. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

Once again, on the internet, people will complain about ANYTHING!

20. TheSlappyOne

TheSlappyOne New Member

If I can't push my opinion on at least three people over the internet per day, there's no way I can feel secure or validated about them.