Wiiu Discussion

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Nyaon

Nyaon New Member

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-denies-report-of-wii-u-ceasing-production-this-year/

2. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with your first paragraph. There is stuff from Japan that is way more niche and has way less selling potential being released pretty consistently on the PS4. I'm not sure I have any reason to believe that Nintendo would bring over fewer titles than they do now just because they aren't making their own console. I'm sure they still would censor everything like they've been doing lately though.

3. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

I think Nintendo would have a hard time as a 3rd-party. They like to do stuff their way and are not good at listening(at all, really :unsure:). They'd probably have a tougher time than SEGA, even with their superior IP's.

5 years ago, I'd have said they should abandon consoles and focus on portable(clearly their strength, hardware-wise), but with that market weakening and mobile taking over, I don't see that as a good route. Nintendoomed may be accurate after all :p.

4. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

They did make Pokemon Shuffle for iOS

5. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

They didn't make it. They licensed Genius Sonority(Nintendo-funded start-up, but semi-independant) to do it.

It's the mainline Nintendo studios I'm talking about. The ones fully immersed in the "Nintendo culture"(for want of a better term).

6. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I think that's The Pokemon Company, which is a separate entity from Nintendo.

EDIT: Had this open too long, but yeah explained above :p

7. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

The concern is less about bringing them over and more about developing them in the first place. As a 3rd party they neither have the additional revenue streams nor the incentive to develop and release "smaller" titles or try appeal to a wider variety of players to sell a platform. A series like F-Zero would certainly stay dead, where as right now there is at least some sliver of hope they might return to it like they did with Punch Out or Kid Icarus. Metroid could very well simply die off too since Nintendo's desire for the series is clearly at odds with the fans'.

Among other things, like Monolith, classic/Conquest style Fire Emblem, etc. Can't type out a longer post right now.

8. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

There's also the possibility they'd just fold in the 3rd-parties they've acquired(MonolithSoft, IntelligentSystems, RetroStudios, etc.)

They'd probably just be Mario, Zelda, Smash, and Pokemon(unless GameFreaks goes independant, I guess; not sure who controls the IP outright in that case); as well as whatever Miyamoto's pet project is.

And, I don't know about anyone else, but the last thing I'd want is more Mario; I'm sick and tired of him as is.

9. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

That's, like, been the case for years, lol.

10. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

For christs sake set Monolith Soft free at the very least, if it ever does happen. Although then comes the question of can they survive on their own? But after 2 hit games, im thinking probably yes.

11. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the great part about this post is I can't tell if that's a typo of "ninty" or if you're calling us dumb fanboys.

Either way, I didn't realize there were Nintendo fanboys here.

12. Chaosblade77

Hit is relative, Monolith couldn't survive on their own in the current climate, in their current form. They would either need to downsize considerably and function more like Falcom or pre-KT Gust (smaller, more niche games), or go mobile.

13. commodorewheeler

As far as company behavior goes, you know them better than I do, so I can't really argue with what your saying. However, assuming that they bring out everything they are bringing out right now, I think it'd be financially successful on at least a Sony home console.

14. commodorewheeler

Decades, I would say.

15. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/04/30/limited-run-games-is-exploring-a-fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water-north-american-retail-release/

I would buy FF5 in this case.

16. DustyStarr

So 10 minutes of Color Splash gameplay from Comic Con have been shown and honestly it does not seem that bad. The game definitely has personality and this level in particular has really nice atmosphere (but I am a sucker for haunted settings, especially ones in Nintendo games X3 ), and the characters seem fun... just, like, if they want it to be a puzzle adventure game, why not just make it a puzzle adventure game? I don't see the point of keeping the battles in like this really (though in CS they do serve a purpose of giving you more paint). Also while the characters are not generic in personality I don't understand why the designs are so generic... is it just laziness? Either way, I am curious about the game I suppose.

17. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

That does look pretty cool, but I'm kinda confused by the battle system. It looks like choosing your attacks takes place solely on the gamepad, so I couldn't tell what was going on. Do you have a finite number of attacks again like in Sticker Star? Either way, I do like the atmosphere of the game. Definitely has that Paper Mario charm to it.

18. DustyStarr

I can not really tell either, which sucks. I don't THINK cards used up like Stickers...

Oh and I was wrong, evidently you do get EXP from battles to level your hammer up, so that is okay.

19. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

If the Wii U was region free you could import the European limited edition. It doesn't seem to be popular here, as it's still widely available and was even heavily discounted by our resident gaming store chain.

I'd like to get a Wii U sometime, but Nintendo refuses to add a Full RGB Range video output option. As I can only use the system with a monitor, this is a deal breaker.

20. Chaosblade77

The European physical release of FAST Racing Neo is the first instance I am specifically frustrated with the Wii U not being region free. Currently there don't seem to be any plans to release a physical version here. Rising Star picked up Steamworld Collection but not FAST.