Why aren't all the XSEED PC titles on GOG.com

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by the_importer, Aug 5, 2017.

1. the_importer

the_importer New Member

Well I haven't read about anything like that, guess I'll have to look it up. That being said, can you blame GOG for not wanting every indie game under the sun to be published on their platform, I mean are you aware of this shit that got on Steam with their previous Greenlight system and it's current replacement?

2. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just saying they do. It has arguably bit them in the ass in the past, though, with games like Aquaria being denied at the time of release only to be allowed so many years after the fact when the game was basically being given out freely every other humble bundle. And they have a weird policy on not allowing many VNs, but have things like Hatoful Boyfriend and various walking simulators on their site.

It doesn't happen often, but everytime it does, it always leads to a full "for what purpose?" from the community.

3. the_importer

the_importer New Member

Well, no service is perfect I guess. That being said, I doubt they would deny any Xseed title, which is sort of the topic at hand.

4. saldite

I could see them denying the Senran games just knowing some of what they've denied in the past, but you're right, in the case of this specific issue, I doubt it's neither here nor there given they seem to have a pretty good business relationship with XSeed.

5. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I am not trying to fight anyone on this because I really don't care that much either way, which I believe I said in my last post. Companies will make stupid decisions and for the most part, we really can't change them. The big problem you face in getting the game onto GOG is a demand for it. I know XSeed would love to have the games on GOG but if the demand is not there then they won't bother with it. And since their parent company doesn't seem to want to pursue it any further it most likely isn't going to happen.

I still feel DRM and virus protection actually share some similarities in the fact that most people use virus protection(not me but I am a developer so I really don't need it) but it doesn't really need to be used. I was making the point that security in any form is ultimately useless. We as people like to have security for the piece of mind aspect of it. Which followed into my Pin example, the pin really doesn't do anything other than add security. I hate the chips that they put on cards now because it actually makes my cards less secure. DRM is put on games for a security factor, not for anything else and if security is ultimately useless than there really is no point.

I believe the core issue isn't just Japanese companies don't want DRM free or YS would have never been sold on GOG. Also, there was an attempt to get the Senran games on GOG but it fell through. Since we don't know why exactly, making a statement that it is because the company doesn't want a DRM free game is making a few too many assumptions. All we know is it had something to do with getting the DRM free game to work. This might be because of the underlining engine used with these games. Or other reasons entirely we could never really know. So making points about how DRM is good or bad really has no merit on this discussion. Even still claiming DRM is bad because one-day steam might not exist and that is why I want it on some other platform seems silly to me.

As you state multiple times steam has no system to play the games if steam disappears but actually that is wrong. You can play any game on steam in offline mode as long as you have started it once. This means your ultimate point is kinda rendered invalid. Because if you want to state that then what happens when GOG no longer exist you have the same issue. I know we all will not have our PCs forever but with the way Technology is growing and with the Gigabit internet being more common and other internet packages with higher bandwidths, hard drives increasing sizes every quarter I could easily download my whole steam library start every non-online game once and store the hard drives just in case it ever did happen and have the complete library and when it comes time to need to use them just clone the hard drive and start using it. So I really don't care the platform.

I also have really never had a problem with steam or GOG. The only thing with GOG is I often forget it even exists until I want an older game and I check if they may have it. The reason everyone uses Steam is that it is the platform all the big companies without their own launcher use. I have 568 games on Steam through sales and Humble bundles and I hardly play more the 30 of them. I like Steam because it is convenient. You actually have to look for GOG galaxy because it isn't even present on the front page. You have to go to the about section drop down just to even see it. And the last time I bought a game on GOG was around 2012 so I didn't even know about GOG galaxy. Yes, it would be awesome to see all the games that XSeed has localized make their way to PC so that I don't have to always break out my PSVita to play them. I would love to see it on as many platforms as possible so other people can see these games and play them. But if there is some limitation for them not being on GOG it is something we have to live with. And maybe with this thread, we can show XSeed there is a demand for it. But as far as I can see only a very small few seem to want it on GOG on this forum so you need to get the Demand higher for it or it probably isn't going to happen.

6. saldite

I'll actually comment on this, as well, but for a while they did had a notification on the front page right at the top to try out their galaxy client, and they were even including it in game installs. The community fought back against this so hard, though, that GOG basically did a 180 on trying to push galaxy since the community there took it as them trying to push DRM and forced clients onto the users.

Really, GOG just seems to be doing a bad job advertising Galaxy in general. When they do advertise it, it's through hiding it in installers or putting a big notification on the page, which a lot of the more vocal and older users find annoying. So their reaction is to just not advertise it at all, which is kind of huh? unless you're active on their forums a lot. And from the dev side, a lot of them don't even know about Galaxy's features or anything dev related GOG has now, which in turn also hurts the updates and other issues.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Despite the fact anything installed via Galaxy doesn't require the client running at all to boot?
    You can even just move the whole folder around to another computer and it'll work fine.

8. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Galaxy is the best thing GOG has done in long time and it's a shame if a significant chunk of the GOG community are against it.

saldite likes this.
  9. saldite

Yep. A good chunk of the community (esp. older users) went to GOG explicitly to get away from client-based services, and look at Galaxy as GOG trying to copy Steam. I don't agree since it helps to make several things easier for both devs and users, but I see the whining in the forums a lot.

10. Ringwraith

I bet many of these people also have nice, fast, stable, internet connections.
    As someone who frequently doesn't, being able to suspend downloads of big files and not lose them if they get interrupted is a massive boon.

Even then you can still move it around freely!

11. Cqef

Cqef Member

I moved to GoG a few years back because I didn't want to rely on a client to run my games and didn't want to get any DRM limitations, and since most of the games that I like or want are available there, it was pretty much a no-brainer. I really don't mind GoG Galaxy to exist. I understand that having a client makes it more convenient for some people, and it's pretty swell of GoG to cater to these needs. And it's entirely optional as well.

It *is* quite disappointing to learn that some games I am interested in wouldn't make it there, though. I would've bought the Senran Kagura games, Valkyrie Drive and Akiba's Trip there in a heartbeat if it was possible, but I just got over it because I still can play them on PS4 or Vita if I so desire.

Oh, you might want to try out the GoG Downloader. https://www.gog.com/downloader
    It's basically a download manager, a small client dedicated in downloading your GoG games, and you can pause your downloads and stuff with it, and you don't need Galaxy.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  12. Ringwraith

The downloader has been very much superseded its use really, although I did use it back when it was the only other option.
    It also wasn't very good.

Galaxy is much better.