When will vita support end?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Clessy, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Clessy

Clessy Member

I keep thinking to myself. "man I love my vita and theres still plenty of games in Japan i'd love to see get localized realistically when will it stop"?

I hope your vita releases of economically viable and I wonder if and when Sony ends support can Xseed still carry on kinda how Limited Run games works outside of the support relm of Sony.

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Depends how long Japan keeps putting out games, and how long the factories that make the carts for this region stay open. Things have slowed a little, physically, with more companies opting out of doing Vita physical, in favor of digital. Seems like it will remain steady until at least through 2018, looking at the trends of titles and what localizers are doing.

Don't forget, LRG is helping smaller studios actually port their games to console, to an extent. Not something XSEED can do, unless it exists already on that format.

Regardless of what happens, Vita has had an excellent tun, given its history! A ton of choices for it, as it is :)

3. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

I'd say XSEED would be one of the first niche companies to bail out of Vita, so asking them to do something that isn't part of their main business and for a platform the company itself is not that interested, is futile.

The fact that Vita is still doing fine as far as software goes is already surprising, given it has been more than three years since Sony not only abandoned the development for it, but also started convincing the ones who were to drop Vita support in favor of PS4.

Anyway, I'd never thought I'd own more games to a platform than I did for PSP, but Vita has already surpassed that. It will probably be my favorite system ever.

zerokid2 likes this.
  4. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

XSEED hasn't released a Vita exclusive since EDF in December 2015. I'd say they don't have any announced either, but I realized XSEED has barely anything announced right now.

I think they will keep supporting the system with multiplats for a while longer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are done with Vita exclusives.

5. Clessy

Clessy Member

I'm more curious if say Sen 3 is a vita / ps4 title will vita users be screwed as it probably wouldnt have a chance of a us release until 2019.

6. Chaosblade77

It's already confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive. Unless you are talking hypothetically.

7. Clessy

Clessy Member

Havent been keeping up with it so I didnt honestly know. Is there gonna be a way to transfer my saves? Will it even use saves from the previous games?

8. Chaosblade77

I think Falcom may have said something about exploring options for PS3 saves, don't remember for sure. Might have just been speculation and not anything from Falcom. IIRC some PS4 games have been able to read PS3 saves. Don't know about Vita.

9. Clessy

Clessy Member

Thats honestly a big enough "fuck you" from them to their consumers for me to drop the series.

10. flarecde

flarecde Member

I've seen games use an upload option to import saves from the Vita to the PS4. Kinda like Cross-Play I guess, only for import purposes.

Vita had a good run, but it's showing it's age. I think the unfortunate thing isn't so much it's inevitable demise, but the fact that there will be no successor. I really liked the Vita as a higher quality handheld alternative to the 3DS or Mobile options.

11. Kresnik

Kresnik New Member

Out of interest, why do you think XSEED would be one of the first niche companies to bail out on Vita? This is an XSEED that released 2 PSP games in 2015; and one in 2013.

I remember, some time last year, I had a chat with Tom (think it was on these forums actually) about Vita and he basically said that Vita support was still ongoing and they reviewed titles on a case-by-case basis etc. Realistically, they do still have Akiba's Beat coming for Vita, but that's only because it was supposed to be a fall 2016 title that was delayed to spring 2017 lol.

If you read this interview:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03/14/xseed-ken-berry-interview/

When Ken's asked about Uppers, he basically says "there's a chance, but it'll be for PC". That to me implies they're done with Vita, as it's the latest in a long line of exclusives (Luminous Arc; Tokyo Xanadu; Net High; IA/VT; Valkyrie Drive) that they've not localized for one reason or another.

So although Tom insisted that there's no company policy to stop Vita support, their actions suggest otherwise, and I think you're right and we'll find they have dropped the platform when they announce their next lot of games.

But I'm just wondering why you'd think they'd be one of the first to bail out? Every other niche company seems to be clinging on to Vita, and prior to 2015 I thought XSEED would have been exactly the same - moreso actually, given their support of PSP. It hasn't transpired that way, but still :p

12. tilinelson2

I work for XSEED.

Well, I don't, it was just guessing by their movements. Since they have become more a Marvelous USA than they used to be, and neglected games like Luminous Arc, Net High, Valkyrie Drive, the writing was on the wall for Vita exclusives. Especially when Valkyrie Drive was picked up by another company. Tokyo Xanadu was also an indication that they weren't willing to do what Aksys did, for example. That coupled with their current focus led me to conclude they are only working with Vita when needed. Just a guess, though.

By the way, I don't think we will see a lot of support for Vita in the future from most of the niche companies as well.

13. flarecde

flarecde Member

I think there was an interview with XSEED somewhere that explained Net High specifically - apparently due to it's writing it's virtually un-localizable. Loads of Japanese word-play. And most of those other games have plenty of other reasons besides being Vita only for being less attractive. Not saying being Vita only isn't a reason, but I doubt it was the only one.

The Vita is done though. It had a good run, but the recent crop of Vita/PS4 dual releases are rather clearly showing it can no longer keep up with current gen software.

14. tilinelson2

It can't keep up with current gen software because they are developing for PS4 and just making it run on Vita, no matter how, No one was/is complaining about 3DS software.