What Movies Have You Watched?

Discussion in 'Anime/Movies Discussion' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Oh, I meant this one (title aside) about someone talking about the film and how they didn't really like it for like three watches and then it all fell into place for them. (Spoilers, obviously)

2. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

That's fair - you don't care for a character, you don't care for a character. I personally LOVE Kylo, but that's me.

3. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Mm, yeah, I just don't see any of that. I'd go into it, but I feel like I'd just be repeating everything I've already said. I wish I could like this movie, but yeah, I just can't overlook so much stuff.

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Also, can we just have a moment of silence for
    Admiral Ackbar?

Also also, now that I've seen the meme picture of Snoke being that old lady librarian from the prequels, I can't unsee it.

5. AttentionDeficitGuy

If a backstory doesn't appear in our records, it doesn't exist!

*stalks away*

6. Ringwraith

Though, also makes sense considering
    his original voice actor died during filming, so art intimates life.

7. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Man, it's just getting worse on a second watching, lol.

Leia basically tells Finn the basics of the plan while Poe is in the room (to search for a new base to contact help) but when Holdo takes over, oh no, it's none of his business and he should just have blind faith in someone he's never met before (and for that matter neither have we). Strategy meetings are held all the time in Star Wars movies, where every one gets together and someone tells every one the plan. I can't see this as anything other than bad writing to set up an even worse plot b.

And again with Luke, we know his history from the original trilogy and what he went through. But with this new trilogy they just don't give you enough to go on to make the idea that he'd consider killing his nephew believable. Without the proper context it's just jarring and out of character from what we know of him. This is the guy who turned Vader after all, even after Obi Wan and Yoda told him it was too late. To just be told that he was scared of Ben because of what he saw, it just isn't enough for me to believe his character would have taken such a 180. He was never a perfect model of the jedi he talks so badly of, and you'd think through his own experiences with the dark side he'd even be somewhat sympathetic to Ben's plight. He wouldn't be just copy pasting the ways of the failed traditional jedi, cause he should know from history that they didn't work out.

It's just, nothing in this movie feels like good writing, and to be perfectly honest, I think Rey is very one dimensional and a...mary sue. She's got no real faults or weaknesses that she's needed to overcome, and she's capable of so many things she doesn't have any reason to be good at.

8. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

I feel like this guy does a pretty good job at listing some of the things that really take me out of The Last Jedi. Of course it's focused on only one aspect, but they're all pretty glaring to me.

9. Ringwraith

I still don't get this one.
    She's not really much different from the way Luke was the original trilogy? Quite a natural at everything (because the Force can really help you with various things such as piloting, apparently), but also a bit naive and rushes off ahead thinking they've got this when they haven't always got this.
    Fantasy stories generally have some pretty powerful at everything at their centre anyway, otherwise it'd be a story about this random person who doesn't really do anything significant. (Which can be a concept, but that's not normally how fantastical stories go).
    For a thought experiment of taking this to an extreme, imagine basing a whole trilogy on someone whose literal power is being extremely boring, following them for interminable pages where they keep surviving encounters with beings far more powerful than them mostly through sheer luck, then finally taking the action that saves the world from the most powerful being ever.

Luke also has his moment of weakness when he's had these before of thinking about killing someone due to a strong emotion, so that's not out of character, but like he says, he fell into the same trap the Jedi did: he believed his own stories, 'Luke can do anything Skywalker', placing way too much stock in his own reputation.
    Everyone makes mistakes, some are just way larger than others.

10. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

See, unlike Rey though, Luke isn't a natural at everything. He screws up constantly, often with circumstances. About the only thing he's good at at the start is piloting, his abilities in that are given several lines of context throughout the first film. Applying to the academy, beggar's canyon, targeting womp rats. All Rey is given is a throwaway line that she's piloted ships before but never left the planet.

Luke gets his butt whooped by sand people, and has to be saved by Obi Wan. He has to be saved by Obi Wan once again in Mos Eisley when he upsets that dude who's got the death sentence in 12 systems, he's got no idea on how to use a lightsabre or the force and gets hit over and over by the training drone, he almost gets killed in the trash compactor twice, and has to get saved by C3PO and R2D2, they only escape the Death Star thanks to Obi Wan's distraction. The only thing Luke does with the force is uses it, along with Obi Wan's guidance to shoot the missile that blows up the Death Star. He never even touches his lightsabre through the whole movie except for when Obi Wan is training him. It's always a blaster.

Luke's first active display of using the force is after he's knocked out (once again, lol) by the Wompa on Hoth. He just barely manages to force pull the lightsabre from only a few feet away to cut himself loose and escape, only to narrowly freeze to death before being rescued by Han, and then both of them being discovered and rescued by Rogue 2. (are we starting to see a theme here how Luke constantly screws up and has to be saved by others?) Rey on the other hand is already actively using the force in the first movie on several different occasions with zero training or idea what the force is.
    jedi mind trick and a force pull from much much further away than Luke's, and she manages to defeat Kylo Ren and escape unscathed. Finn was the only one getting hurt here.

Luke eventually goes off to Dagobah to find Yoda, etc.. etc.. Do you see where I'm going here? His first confrontation with Vader, he almost dies and loses a hand.

In the rare occasion that Rey is shown as messing up something, there are no consequences for her character. She rarely relies on others to help her, it's mostly her doing the helping.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  11. AttentionDeficitGuy

Just watched Infinity War...

[​IMG]

I am sorry. It had to be done.

12. Ringwraith

Just gonna disagree with you there, as I doubt I'm gonna make you think otherwise, so I'll keep it brief.
    They're just accelerated the arcs this time around, considering she already sort of knows some combat skills, and has been improvising the rest as she goes along from there. She's even just flailing around in with the lightsabre in TFA (I love that fight for that reason, by the way, everyone's clearly just winging it).
    I mean, the whole kinda deal this time around is Kylo and Rey are super-powerful opposites (notably, they often fight each other more than anyone else, rather than say, a much more experienced and older master they rushed off to fight early), considering what Kylo's first on-screen act in TFA is, so, it's fine? Just the upper limit's been raised this time around.

13. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

That's the whole thing though. Rey is super powerful for no reason other than the script demanding it. There's no growth behind her to earn that power, there's no adversity. She's just powerful and capable, and she needs no one. It's just the most boring character you could come up with. You can say she beat Kylo by just flailing around in tfa cause he was injured, but something the sith are trained to do is focus on negative emotions to strengthen themselves. She's powerful and talented to the point that she's not interesting. Give her flaws, failures with real consequences, make her earn something.

Edit: If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out the Clone Wars series for a good example of a female jedi in Ahsoka Tano's character. She starts off kind of annoying or something, but by the end you become super attached to her.

14. Ringwraith

Maybe because she's already had a lot of adversity?
    She's come from nothing, having to eek out a living alone, while being scammed by everyone.
    And the message that anyone, even coming from having nothing, can be great, seems pretty fine to me.

15. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

The message is fine. The execution isn't. She should be facing her trials and adversity along her journey, not prior to it.

16. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Watched quite a few movies over this week:
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    Young Frankenstein
    Ultraman: Kaijuu Daikessen
    Logan's Run
    Star Trek VI: the Undiscovered Country
    Gunga Din
    Army of Darkness
    Moonraker

And I finally saw Jurassic World. I found it to be a worthy evolution of the series. Not as good as the original, but still fun...and with a huge body count.

17. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Spider Man Homecoming was awesome, I really like how they built peter/spidey in this one after what they started with in Civil War. I would say this is probably one of the better and fun MCU movies I have seen so far, felt like it really hit the right chords and it felt like its own thing while also being part of the MCU, Ant Man kinda had the same thing going on too. Thor ragnarok black panther and infinity war is all I need to watch. But really I need to go back and watch all of them again because I have only seen each one once and would be a nice refresher.

And while we are on MCU I feel like this movie kinda made me realize how the Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and Avengers films seem too tied into each other, and while thats fine, I think I like this change of pace for the MCU as it stand more on its own 2 feet, Homecoming even had the spider man bits from civil war and a behind the scenes perspective right at the beginning of the movie to fill everyone one in which was cleverly done. The pacing of this movie was great, and even had a twist that I did not see coming and seemed pretty unpredictable and out of the blue as well. The Michelle "MJ" girl was probably my favorite, the weird random out there girl with nothing to prove, loved it.

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  18. AttentionDeficitGuy

I always sort of feel like the MCU films are at their best when they focus mainly on one hero, with one or two others to work off of - Spider-Man Homecoming with Spidey and Stark, Thor Ragnarok with Thor and Hulk, Winter Soldier with Steve, Falcon, and Bucky being the ones that jump out at me the most. I mean, not counting the Avengers movies (which are the crossover extravaganzas they should be) and the Guardians movies (which are great ensemble films).

On that note, I'm second-hand excited for you to see Thor Ragnarok for the first time. It's an absolute rock'n'roll blast!

19. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Was the whole Iron Man giving Spider Man his suit with all the gadgets and gizmos originally part of the Spider Man comics? Or was that something brewed up specifically for the movies?

20. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Man on the Moon. Never got around to see this, since I definately wouldn't have liked it when it released. Been wanting to watch it since I saw the Andy and Me documentary. Andy Kaufman was truly the first mainstream troll. Pretty sad considering the catharthis in the Phillipines. I also never knew that REM song was about him. One of those songs you hear everywhere, but don't really know the words.

Split. Only a year late with the ending already spoiled! I'm sure that ending would have surprised those that got it though. Can't believe M. Night made a GOOD thriller again! Good villain, good tension...
    now I can look forward to Glass!