What Books Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

Read Strange case of Dr.Jekyl and mister Hyde & Farenheit 451

2. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

The Road Beneath My Feet by Frank Turner. This was an excellent tour diary by one of my favorite musical artists.

3. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Collected short stories by H.P. Lovecraft

4. BlueStarPrincess

BlueStarPrincess New Member

I'm reading Son by Lois Lowry.

I finished it and loved it! Though I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone back and re-read at least the two other books that came before it, it's literally been years since I read them like 10th grade . The first book has no need for re-read since I know it all too well (it's my favorite out of the 4, but this one comes in 2nd by far. Two and three didn't really do too much for me). I kind of wish there had been just a little bit more though then what Lowry ended it on. T^T

That being said my next book that I'm taking on is a gothic fairytale. It's called The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu - he's a French author and singer I believe.

5. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Just started The Last Stroke by Lawrence L. Lynch.

6. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Haven't posted here in a while, huh? Here's what I've read recently:

Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham
    Emmissary by Thomas Locke
    Spice and Wolf Book 2 (light novel)

Now I'm starting White Knight by Jim Butcher, the ninth book in the Dresden Files.

I've been wanting to read the rest of those books. Just reread The Giver a year or two ago, and I still need to get the rest of them!

7. lail

lail Well-Known Member

Did you like it?

8. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Finished The Last Stroke, and started The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig' by William Hope Hodgson.

Yes I did.

9. MrBanballow

MrBanballow New Member

Okay, been reading various manga.

Higurashi
    Pretty much rainbows and sunshine...
    until people start dropping like flies

Magical Girl Apocalypse
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/media]

One-Punch Man
    Hero for fun panics when he realizes
    he's missing bargain day at the supermarket
    . Best hero is best.

10. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

I've finished The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig' and am moving on to The Mystery of the Sea by Bram Stocker

11. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Reading this book for a class called Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease. I thought it would be a snoozer, but it's actually really interesting. It's properly documented as a scientific study and is highlighted by many doctors etc so isn't a sort of phony-baloney self-help pseudo science either. It's pretty useful, especially in NA when heart disease is pretty much the no. 1 killer nowadays.

12. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Re-reading animal farm for class. Nice easy read.

13. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Finished the sixth book in my Wheel Of Time reread. I forgot how much of a game changer the ending of this one is, although in retrospect it makes a lot of sense that it changes things up so much considering it's the midpoint of the series.

14. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Started The Death of Reginald Perrin (aka the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin) by David Nobbs.

15. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Since it's October I decided to read something horrorish, so I'm reading Another, the novel that the anime of the same name is based on. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. There's nothing outright scary about it, but it's incredibly creepy. The translation seems to be really good and the book oozes atmosphere.

Before that I read the fifth Sword Art Online light novel. Death Gun is even creepier and fuckfacier in the book than he is in the anime. :/

16. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Finished The Death of Reginald Perrin, and am starting its sequel, The Return of Reginald Perrin by David Nobbs.

17. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Continuing my creepy book month with House Of Echoes by Brendan Duffy. Nothing really scary in this one either, but it has a great setting for a creepy story. In some ways it reminds me of The Shining.

18. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

The Long Utopia, fourth book in the Long Earth series by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. This one was really good, and it's my favorite in the series now. I've heard rumors that Baxter doesn't want to continue the series out of respect for Pratchett's passing, but this was originally supposed to be five books so hopefully he'll still write the last one.

19. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Well, took a year and a half, but I finally finished Eragon. Now I see why my friend complained so much when we went to see the movie in theaters :p I liked it at the time, but now I need to rewatch it to see how it was more of an "inspired by" than an "adaptation" :p I'll read the other 3... when I get free time and my stuff sorted out. Still need to get the remaining Sookie Stackhouse books I need so I can finish up all those too!

20. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Read Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Jahanson. I had already figured something out about the world of the series in the first book and it was cool to see it confirmed in this one.

Most recently I reReader Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence before starting the second book in the trilogy. I love how this one takes place in the same world as his first trilogy, and there are a lot of interesting connections between the two trilogies.