What Books Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

I read The Ways of the Dead by Neely Tucker. Picked it up on a whim from the new books section of the library and I liked it a lot. It was a mystery told from the perspective of a journalist reporting the story. Ended up being really good, and now I have a new author to watch out for when/if he writes more books.

2. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

I've recently gone through Carnacki, the Ghost Finder by William Hope Hodgson and John Silence by Algernon Blackwood. A couple of good supernatural detective novels.

3. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Since my last post, I've gone through The Last Man by Mary Shelly and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

4. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Read a few books since my last post, too.

I read Caliban's War, second book in The Expanse series. It was much better than the first one. Much more interesting characters this time around, and that made all the difference. I really like the direction thus series is going in.

After that I read All The President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward. About Watergate by the reporters from the Washington Post who worked on a lot of the breakthroughs in Watergate. Really, really good.

Right now I'm reading Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher, and it's enjoyable so far.

5. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Currently going through The Night Lands by William Hope Hodgson. Another apocalyptic/post apocalypse novel...I didn't plan it out that way. :unsure:

6. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

Read too much books during school semester, I'm playing more games than anything right now. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, if I end up starting mys ummer job one day, I'll bring books for bus, metro and diner time :)

7. Gu5n

Gu5n New Member

I started reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last weekend. I missed out on the books as a teenager, but I'm really enjoying myself with them now anyway. After I finish the Harry Potter series, I'm planning to tackle The Water Margin: Outlaws of the Marsh by Shi Nai'an, one of the four Chinese classics.

8. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Gypsy Vengance, The Shadow vol. 10-6. I will finish all 337 novels and short stories.

9. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

And now, The Shadow vol. 33-2, The Veiled Prophet.

10. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Another one done: The Shadow vol. 6-2, Ghost of the Manor

11. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Recently finished The Fires of Heaven. I've been steadily rereading the Wheel of Time series over the past 2 years or so because I want to finish the series, but the last time I read one of them (before I started rereading) was over 10 years ago. XD Now I'm five books in and have five more to go before I get to the ones I haven't read yet. In high I read up through Book 10 and never got further.

Now I'm reading What Every Person Should Know About War by Chris Hedges.

12. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Reading Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. I loved Seraphina--one of the best books I've read in the past few years--and I'm glad to finally read the conclusion of this story. So far not much has happened, but the prologue has already given me tons of theories on how the story will end.

13. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Currently reading The Ghost Pirates by William Hope Hodgson.

14. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Finished Shadow Scale. Not as good as Seraphina, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The ending felt pretty rushed but overall it worked well.

Also read the first Spice and Wolf light novel. It was really enjoyable and seemed like it had a great translation. I was surprised to find out a certain character from the anime was missing entirely, and that their role in the story was taken by a completely different character. Now I'm wondering if this person will be in the light novels at all.

15. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Got back to reading Eragon finally :p With my movie and anime watching being caught up on currently, I decided to finally pull it back out again and work a bit on it. My goal is to finish it by the end of July (about 1/3 done) and then bring on my flight a book or two. Either the next 2 Sookie Stackhouse books, or Eldest.

16. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Now going through The Best Man by Grace Livingston Hill

17. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Small God's by Terry Pratchett. Just finished it last night. He seems to have really hit his stride at this point. All the previous Discworld books were enjoyable, but this one and the one before it, Reaper Man, we're by far the best in the series so far. These two books have gone beyond parody and have become true satire, and they're excellent for it.

18. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

The Shadow vol. 20-4, Foxhound.

19. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Reading the Kalevala, now

20. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Over the weekend I read the fourth Accel World light novel.

Reading two books right now:

Money and Power: a nonfiction book about Goldman Sachs.
    Marriages: Peter Straub's first novel,