What Books Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Finished The Liar's Key, the second book in the trilogy I mentioned last post. It was great, and I figured out something really cool about the setting of the story. I love how the author leaves a lot of things up to the reader; there are some things that he never explicitly states but instead leaves all the pieces of the puzzle for the reader to pick up and solve on their own.

The ending of the book was excellent. It was on a path to have a pretty good stopping point: leaving plenty of unanswered questions but not ending in a cliffhanger. And then suddenly the last paragraph comes and turns the ending into one super massive cliffhanger. XD

2. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

A few weeks back I got into The Devil Is A Part-TImer anime. The only reason that's relevant here is because it lead to me discovering that the light novels started being localized earlier this year, so I bought the first two volumes and read those. First LNs I've ever read, actually.

3. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Finished Career Of Evil, JK Rowling's newest book. Holy crap, it was really good. This is the third in a series she's been writing recently and I already liked the two main characters, but this book made me realize just how much I've come to care for these characters.

4. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

There was a lull in my hectic life, so I started the Further Adventures of Jimmie Dale by Frank L. Packard.

Hopfully, I'll have the time to finish it.

5. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

The Shadow vol. 9-6, Death Clue.

I'm going to try and read one of these on each of my days off, from now on.

6. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

On to The Shadow vol. 36-1, Xitli, God of Fire.

7. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker New Member

Currently reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I just started Book 9 WINTER'S HEART last night. This kind of epic fantasy I enjoy a lot. Moreso than GRRMs stuff, which is good but I love the cosmic stuff that the WoT brings to the table.

8. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

I've been rereading Wheel of Time recently. Read the first 10 books over 10 years ago (at the time Book 10 was the most recent one), but I kinda gave up on the series after the slog of books 7-10 where nothing much happens. Now that it's finished I want to read them all, and since it's been over 10 years since I last read them I decided to start over from the beginning because it's been so long. So now over the past two years or so I've been steadily making my way through the series. Just finished Book 7 earlier this week.

Now I'm reading through the second Death Gun book in the Sword Art Online light novels. And the Cave of Exposition lasts for about 50 pages in the book. Ugh. But I enjoy the SAO books because they're perfect, trashy filler books to read between longer and more involved things.

9. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker New Member

Whenever GRRM finishes his series I'll get back to it. Life's too short waiting years between books y'know?

As for the WoT, it's a lot like Babylon 5 in the sense it's populated with so much history and detail that it's hard not to sit down and be enthralled by it. In any case I'm enjoying it for the foreseeable future.

10. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Currently going through Citadel of Fear by Gertrude Barrows Bennett.

11. Mikey87

Mikey87 New Member

The kite runner! amazing book!

12. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. This was the last book in a trilogy, and while it was overall the weakest of the bunch it had a pretty good ending. It felt pretty rushed, yet somehow it feels like it all worked and was relatively satisfying.

13. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Started Carnacki: Heaven and Hell by William Meikle.

14. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Finished Carnacki: Heaven and Hell and now on to Carnacki: the Watcher at the Gate by William Meikle.

15. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. I think I've reached the point where I can officially say Terry Pratchett was brilliant. I've been reading the Discworld series in order, and the past four or five books have stopped being only parodies of the fantasy genre and have turned into full-on satire.

16. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Abaddon's Gate by James S. A. Corey. This is the third book in The Expanse, which is what the recent Syfy series is based on. I can't decided whether I liked this or the second book better. Right now I'm leaning towards this one. This book was great, and I love how the scope of the series has now increased astronomically due to it. Plus, one of the POV characters is a lesbian religious leader, and that's just awesome on multiple levels.

17. Arvelon

Arvelon Active Member

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge. That was interesting.
    I, personally, think, that this approach is wrong, because Pratchett just become so much better in the middle of series. I personally started from "Guards! Guards!" and think, that this is quite good point to start.

18. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Well it's not quite a VN, but not quite a book either, but eh close enough since it's reading with music and a couple voice and a couple pictures, whatever :p

Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Hagakure. It's a short novella you unlock after beating Ultra Despair Girls. I wasn't up for reading it back then (yet got through IF very quickly after beating DR2 :p) and... it was alright. IF was a neat alternate look at the first game, but this just added Hagakure's side story. Short, quick read, but nothing overly amazing, really.

19. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

If anyone hasn't read it before, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is absolutely marvelous. I just finished giving it my every-couple-of-years-reread, and think everyone should check it out!

20. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Started The Shadow vol 38-2, The Thunder King.