What Books Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by Terro, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

For us bookworms that still think reading is cool! Decided to move it here instead of back to silly, since this is like the general media thread.

I also, haven't read for a while, due to busyness >_>

2. Leilee

Leilee New Member

I am currently reading a book on how to use Wordpress like a champ.
    Then also I'm reading Michael Moorcock's The Warlord of the Air. Moorcock is so great with making his reads easy to read, but have very deep ideas in them that later I must ponder upon. .

3. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Right now I'm re-reading a book called King of Thorns. It's the second in a trilogy. I read it about a year ago, and I want to read it again before starting the last book.

I finished my Harry Potter reread a week or so after the old forums died. Deathly Hallows had me in pieces during Snape's flashback and Harry's walk to the forest.

4. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

Very soon, I'll be reading the first volume of the Senran Kagura manga. I'm pretty excited actually. =)

5. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

I've been trying to start a book for the past week but I haven't had a chance to. :( Well, I've had plenty of chances, but I don't like to start a new book until I have enough time to read at least the first 50 pages, and I haven't had nearly enough time to read that much in one sitting.

6. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

I wish I could read that much in a sitting! I'm having trouble reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for school, but that's because I find Huck's style of speaking kind of difficult to read.

7. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I try and read at least a few chapters at a time. Hunger Games saga is all read, but I still have my Southern Vampire Mysteries to read. Books are always my flight entertainment (unless I fall asleep from little sleep before the flight...) so I've only read the first two during flights in the past couple years :p Time to keep checking out Half-Price and picking up the others in their second printing (I like hardcovers w/dust covers, but not the original big-book editions, and not partial to paperback either...)

8. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

I finally got to start a new book! Right now I'm reading Emperor of Thorns, which is the last book in a trilogy. I'm about a quarter of the way through and it's good so far. I'm very interested to see how this series ends.

9. majestix1988

majestix1988 New Member

reading (mostly i read are Light novel that translated by baka tsuki or other translation sites(for example some site offer a english translated korean light novel)
    (Madan no Ou to Vanadis LN[Baka-tsuki translated]/High School DXD LN(waiting for latest Volume)/Date A Live(currently on V3)

*if you want to read light novel i will give you some for newbies

Our Journey to the End of the Ceasing World(Tabi ni Deyou, Horobiyuku Sekai no Hate Made)
    Gekkou/Moonlight

you can get it on baka tsuki

10. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

I finished Emperor of Thorns.

The ending was very interesting. I mostly understand what happened, but there's a lot of stuff that has me wondering exactly what happened, which I think is pretty cool. It leaves a lot up to the reader to figure out what happened instead of outright telling it.

11. FlatheadDog

FlatheadDog New Member

I'm finishing up Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. It's super-fun and very well written. Get it!

I'm also starting The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven Kent, which is interesting but less well written. It puts me to sleep, so I read it to go to sleep.
    Did you know the former president of Atari created Chucky Cheese Pizza to change public opinion of video games? So far I'm up to the Asteroids game from 1980. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy.

12. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

^That tidbit on Chucky Cheese is news to me! But.... how did that change the image of games? Just make it more kid-oriented?

13. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

I read Ready Player One a couple years ago and I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely entertaining, while a bit too predictable.

I had no idea about the Chucky Cheese thing. I'd also like to know how that was supposed to change the public opinion.

14. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Started reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. It's somewhat related to American Gods, in that the main character in this book is the son of a minor character from American Gods, so it really doesn't have any relation outside of that tangential connection. :p But it's really good so far. Very Neil Gaiman-y.

15. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Still following the re-releases of Scott Pilgram as they come out, the color really adding a lot to the books. :3

And I really want to read American Gods sometimes. :3 I have heard good things. Never actually read anything by Neil Gaiman.

16. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

American Gods is excellent. I read it about two years ago, and it quickly became one of my favorite books. You really should read it when you get a chance. It's currently in the process of being made into a TV series, I think.

Something else you might want to check out is Sandman. It's a comic series that's 10 volumes long. The entire thing is written by Neil Gaiman, but each book/story arc has a different artist, which is pretty cool. The ending is excellent, too. Very satisfying, and the big, climactic story arc is one of my favorite parts of the series.

Now that I think about it, I've actually read a lot of stuff by Neil Gaiman over the years. There are just a few novels and short story collections that I haven't read yet.

17. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't exactly read it, I used SparkNotes to understand the story of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. From the analysis and summaries I read, Huck Finn seems like a fantastic book once the con man enter the plot (I only got up to chapter 11).

This book definitely seems like something I want to read in the future when I have more free time and seems like it probably will be my favorite book that I read in AP English Lang this year (The Night Thoreau Spent In Jail was really good too though).

18. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Today I read another graphic novel, Blue is the Warmest Color. A nice little French graphic novel about a young lesbian coming to terms with herself, and her relationship with her true love... it was a sweet, and kind of sad, little book. Not very long, only like 200 pages, if that. It had an interesting, though down before, color style where things were in mostly black and white (actually, more like brown and white) with splashes of color, in this case, a certain character's blue hair. The actual art style was interesting though... not really sure how to describe it, but it felt a little unique. Not exactly cartoony, but not realistic.

it was a nice read, and I recommend it. :3

19. Chelli

Chelli Active Member

Finished Anansi Boys a while back and it was great. Not sure if I liked it better or less than American Gods. The two can't really be compared. Anansi Boys is more of a comedy while American Gods is meant to be taken seriously..

Recently I finished reading The Cuckoo's Calling, which is the book J. K. Rowling recently published under a different name (Robert Galbraith). I enjoyed it a lot, much better than the book she published about a year ago, which I hated. The characters were actually likeable in this one, unlike Casual Vacancy. I'm really glad she's writing a detective series. The mystery aspect was always one of the strongest points in Harry Potter, and it looks like she's putting the plotting skills she got from HP to good use here. There are already a bunch of hints I picked up that she can use for future books. Actually, there are already plenty of hints about what I assume will be the overarching plot of this series.

Yesterday I started Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. It's really interesting so far: Something caused people to start gaining superpowers, but everyone who received those powers turned into awful people because power corrupts. I think it's a bit too similar to his Mistborn trilogy, but hopefully it becomes its own thing. He's put out a bunch of books lately and it's starting to feel like some of them are much too formulaic, and I really hope he doesn't start falling into using the same plot structures over and over.

20. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

I read through Blue is the Warmest Color tonight.

...See Dusty's post for my thoughts on it, since they're the exact same.

I will probably never post in this thread again, as I don't really read. :p