What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

@MrDetective Even if it is an old game you should probably put spoilers in spoiler tags, especially in a game involving a mystery.

2. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

My character is now level 99. Ready to take on the final boss.

My bad. Fixed as suggested. :p

3. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

I always go the decade rule, if something is older than 10 years, you're free to spoil it. I think that's pretty fair. A decade is a pretty big window :p

(This is not assuming you haven't played it, just a general statement)

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Okay, I have now tried Ring Fit. The game seems to have received an update or two, because it now asks your weight (it also asks your region to find out if you want miles or kilometers, and pounds or kilograms.) Unlike Wii Fit, it does NOT tell you you're too fat or too thin...there is no commentary on your weight. It just says 'Okay!' and continues on. This makes sense to me. How could it possibly calculate your calorie expenditure without knowing your weight? Anyway! My overall conclusion is that I quite like it...it was fun. Rather than getting on a treadmill or elliptical or other cardio machine, using Ring Fit feels a bit like having a workout buddy...like someone easy-going and (protectively) supportive is doing the workout WITH you. That was my feeling, anyway.

Though I'm an oddball, so my opinion will have different value depending on the situations of others.
    For one thing, I LIKE working out. Even if my muscles are hurting and I'm gasping and feel like I'm gonna be sick, I STILL like it. So I guess anyone who hates to work out would need to take my opinion with a big grain of salt. I used to be really fit. 8-9 years ago (I'm 41, btw) I was doing 10 hours of working out every week...5 hours of interval running and 5 of weight training in winter. (And loads of cycling instead of the interval running every day in the warm weather.) But because I have chronic inflammatory issues and multiple sclerosis...which seems to cause some kind of nerve malfunction or something that easily creates pain feedback even when nothing's actually wrong...it's been a long time since I've been able to exercise intensely. In fact for several years, any muscular exertion caused me a LOT of pain for weeks afterward.

In other words, I'm pretty wildly out of shape, now. Also because of previous damage I have some annoying spinal issues (on top of naturally low blood pressure) and become dizzy quite easily. And my motor control on the left side of my body is permanently not at 100%, so I tend to be muscularly a bit shaky on that side, both in arm and leg. You can't tell when I'm just walking around normally because it's not bad enough to hinder basic movement, but if I'm moving fast or vigorously (aka: exercising) it starts to become noticeable. I'm also horribly uncoordinated, just naturally...like pretty much every member of my dad's side of the family.

On the 'good' side, I tend to be unusually flexible. (Though it's actually not really a good thing...it tends to lead to injuries because I overstretch without realizing that I am doing so.)

The 'game' asked me some questions and assessed me at a '10' for difficulty, and I think it goes up to 30. I only finished two levels and half of the third, because I ran into an exercise that might not be very good for me...I can't really lower my head a lot when exercising or I get really dizzy. (I also tend to over-exert myself even when told not to...and the game DOES continually tell you not to overdo it, and to be careful of your posture, and have some water. It even tells you to go change your clothes before the cool-down portion at the end if you've gotten sweaty, cuz it doesn't want you to catch a chill!) So sitting on the floor and then getting up again right away with my pulse accelerated made me feel REALLY sick, and I had to quit, lol. Once I get used to it that will probably ease off and eventually even vanish, but to begin with I probably need to minimize the use of that exercise. Which you can do! You can actually choose the type of exercises used in each 'battle'.

Which really helps if you have specific circumstances, like a bad joint or etc.

The joy-con's ability to take your pulse seems to work really well, but do as it says and don't press too hard; it takes your pulse more accurately if you simply set your thumb securely but gently over the sensor, rather than pressing it down onto it.

Also, I used the game on 'silent' mode because I'm upstairs and my sister sleeps until noon most days. :rolleyes: You flex your knees repeatedly to bob up and down in place on silent mode, rather than running in place. I thought it might be super wimpy, but it actually works surprisingly well. You can get quite tired doing it, if you're following Tipp's motions and doing the flexing at the right pace and depth.

'Game'-wise...well, it feels much more like a workout program than a game. However you could probably MAKE it feel more game-like by really paying attention to extras. For example, there tend to be coins and boxes around. You have to press in on the ring-con to shoot out a blast of air, to break boxes, and pull out on the ring con to turn it into a vacuum, to suck up coins that are lying to to the sides of the path. You also seem to have a higher and lower path, and it's slightly more difficult to stay on the upper path because you have to remember to point the ring-con downward and squeeze the sides in to shoot out a blast of air to propel you upwards over gaps in the path, if you want to stay on the upper level. Otherwise you'll end up falling to the lower one. So if you pay attention to breaking crates and getting coins and stuff, it's a bit more game-like.
    If anyone has specific questions about how it works, go ahead and ask :) Otherwise I think I've talked more than long enough already, lol. Probably more than anyone needed to know!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  5. ChaosAzerothCat

ChaosAzerothCat New Member

Grand Bazaar, because I finally own it again!

Also been dabbling in My Time at Portia. Idk why so many acted like it's a farming game, but it is fun.

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I didn't frequent any other places, like Reddit or anything, so I don't know about there, but I don't think anyone in the Portia thread on Fogu acted like it was a farming game. We all agreed that it was a game about crafting/building. Farming is necessary since it is the only practical way to get several crafting ingredients, but even so, it's relatively incidental...you spend almost NO time on it. And I never kept ANY animals. Not one, at any point. So you can do entirely without that part. (It was added on later anyway, so that feature was never really integrated into the plot.)

It is a country life sim though, that has the option to farm and raise a family, so I still feel it fits the genre.

7. Cryrobinson

I've been considering this one as just something fun to do outside of the gym/work. How involved is it, actually? Like will you break a sweat playing it? I enjoyed Fitness Boxing, that one actually got my heart going, definitely was a nice aid in adding some extra calories to the weekly routine. Just curious how this one is in that department! Does it track everything like calories and whatnot as well?

8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Oh yes, you will sweat like crazy. My heart rate was 150 after completing the second level. (You have the opportunity to check your heart rate with the joy con slotted into the ring after each level.) It's pretty adjustable, though. Choosing the lowest difficulty and doing the running in place (or knee flexing, in silent mode...like very tiny squats) more slowly would allow you to do a fairly low-level workout. I'm the type who naturally pushes until they start seeing spots, so I'm not good at forcing myself to stay at a moderate pace. Though I really should, all things considered.

It tracks calories, in a way. But it only tells you how many calories each level will burn. If you wear a Fitbit or something else like that, the amount of calories burned is actually much higher on the Fitbit than it will show on the game. Like, the game claims that the first level burns...I think 17 calories. Which is probably true in a technical sense. (I don't know what weight it bases that on, though, since it doesn't seem to change based on user.) It will also show all exercises done and calories burned in your individual profile and I think that area might actually be tailored to your own weight, since the game was updated and does now ask for your weight.

Also, for someone very fit, I think they could still squeeze a decent workout out of this (obviously with the game on the highest difficulty, requiring you to do the most reps and so on) by using weight bands around ankles and wrists, if it just wasn't hard enough by itself.

9. Cryrobinson

Well dang, that's some good news! Yeah, I also like being able to push myself, so this sounds like it would be enjoyable to me! Ankle/wrist weights are also a good idea, didn't even think of something like that!

Kikki likes this.
  10. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Playing Cookie Clicker for my birthday.