What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

I get that. Honestly, it seems like most of the Trails fanbase REALLY loves Zero, but for me it was easily my second least favorite in the series (after the 3rd), and largely for the reasons you mentioned.

That said, Ao is currently my favorite, so we got different opinions there. And about Rixia, KeA, and Renne (wierdly is was Zero that finally got me really invested in her).

But you know who best boi is, so clearly you are in fact True Fa- okay you know what I can't even finish the joke because I too am kinda sick of how gatekeepy the larger Trails fanbase gets a lot of the time.

Kikki likes this.
  2. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, Trails does seem to have more than its fair share of gatekeepers. :/ Mind you, AnimeGamer183 has never been unpleasant in any way I can remember, so in this case, I assume the comment was probably a joke. Though honestly, I've been hassled SO MANY TIMES over what order I played in, what I like in graphic style, how I play (difficulty level, orbment set-up, etc) and who my favourite characters are and what my preferences are in story and etc, that most of the time I encounter a comment like that, it's really NOT a joke, so it's hard to be sure.

I liked Ao a lot! :) I just don't care that much about whatever Ouroboros is up to. For some reason, none of the members really interest me, and when plots get bizarre...straying into the unexplained magical gunk rather than the social or political plots...I just start to check out. The conflict of opinions between commoners and nobles, between terrorists, monarchists and revolutionaries...that stuff I find very interesting. But Ouroboros is always doing something incomprehensible and it just loses my interest. (I also don't particularly like anything to do with 'the Church', as that gets too weird, too. I guess I just don't like plots driven by magical or mystical causes. They're too woolly.)

3. AttentionDeficitGuy

Oh, no I wasn't implying that AnimeGamer was being gatekeepy, I was more referencing... well, what you mentioned, that a lot of those kinds of comments from the Trails fanbase aren't jokes (especially around the Falcom subreddit - I like to hang around there for the memes, but whew boy can it be a mess sometimes).

That, too, I understand - there are few enough JRPGs with more grounded, political plots. Personally, I love the mixture - it reminds me of a lot of fantasy novels I grew up with, like Robert Jordan or Brandon Sanderson books, where the crazy over-the-top fantasy stuff is woven into the grounded politics and character drama. Come to think if it, that might explain why I loved Ao as much as I did - it's probably Trails at its Trailsiest, what with all of the politics and ancient magic and melodrama and twists.

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I am currently replaying Trails in the Sky since I am in a Trails mood (for obvious reasons) and felt like seeing Olivier again. He was really funny in Sky and I wanted to see Estelle treat him like a bug again. (The splatting with her staff, the 'shoo, shoo!'...the plot would have gotten too heavy too fast if not for Olivier.) It's a replay, though, so I don't have much to say about it...I'm just filling time, now, since I'm unwilling to pick up anything that isn't to do with Trails, at the moment.

Oh no, no worries; I know you weren't saying that. It's just that that's where my comment started...with being unsure if AnimeGamer's comment was a serious criticism (since normally when someone says something like that that to me about how I'm interacting with a Trails game, they're serious) or a joke. So I was just sticking in a disclaimer that, due to personal history, I think it was probably a joke, and that he doesn't fit in with what we were saying.

I was a fan of Wheel of Time (though I stopped reading right around when the author died...I think my last book was Knife of Dreams) but the magic in it made sense to me, so I never got that feeling of woolliness off of it. It was basically just weaving elements, which is still magic, but it makes a sort of sense to me. Mostly. I'm usually a fan of element-based magic unless they stray too far and stop explaining how things work and the whole answer is 'because magic!' In Wheel of Time I feel he did a good job at least partially explaining how things worked. Even being able to teleport felt more or less explained. I could picture it in my head, at least, and that's pretty key to me. If I can't picture what they mean, the plot starts to lose me.

Maybe later on, as we get closer to Ouroboros final goal, the world's 'magic' (which I think is orbal energy? Not sure. I remember something about 'septium veins' in the earth, too, and the Sept-Terrions. Which were...some kind of element-based magical or divine creature put on the planet to look after humanity in place of Aidios? It got too woolly for me and I can't remember, to be honest. I can't keep things straight when they start to get woolly. Which is why I dislike when they do, I guess! :)

5. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

That was more half a joke, and crossbell gets a pass because it has not been localized, and ultimately its not any of the fans fault they were never localized and totally skipped because reasons. And in many respects, releasing CS3 before Crossbell is shere madness and tbh unacceptable in a lot of ways too, but its not even clear who to point the finger at for that, but regardless here we are. If you have a PSP or even a potato PC I am sure there are plenty here that would help you get the Fan Translations running, and it hurts my soul to hear people have to watch them on youtube... that really irks me actually, they deserve to be played.

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  6. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

Persona 4 Golden: In the middle of November, and currently in intimate relationship with Chie, Yumi, and Marie. XD Harem FTW!
    Too bad the nurse just left you. [​IMG]

Finished Naoto and Nanako's dungeon. I feel like the game is getting easier toward the end. Or maybe because I grinded too much? But I just fight all enemies I run into and defeat the extra bosses in old dungeons... Especially now that Naoto is on the team, she can one-shot 90% of enemies with her dark and light attacks. [​IMG] Rise recovers whatever HP and SP I lost so I don't have to blindly guess the enemies' weakness like I used to anymore. Healing items are mostly useless now. I have 99 of those tap soda and special steak skewers (?). At level 80-ish, I don't think I'll have any trouble with the final boss, whenever I get to the end.

Loved the school festival event! Too bad we'll never get to see Naoto in an actual swimsuit. Sorry Chie. Didn't vote for you. [​IMG]
    Speaking of Naoto, I made a mistake with her social link and ruined my chance of making her my girlfriend. There's one social link cutscene in which I had to tell her "I'm glad you're a girl" which seemed out of place and didn't give points, so I chose a different option. Later, I found out that it was necessary to make her fall in love with me. Darn it! And I had the guide with me! If only it had made that clearer! [​IMG]

I still have Rise and Yukiko on level 7. Probably should prioritize them first over the other links... [​IMG]

7. AttentionDeficitGuy

Trails of Cold Steel III! Finished dat prologue! And just like I did with Zero, Imma do a super indulgent play of some of my big reactions:

- It took literally no time to sell me on Altina as one of the leads this time around. I found her boring at best in CS2, but for some reason I was immediately on board with her here.

- Brianna Knickerbocker's teenage Tita's is perfect. I love everything about the way this character was reintroduced here, and I'm glad to see it looks like she'll play a fairly significant role in the school side of things.

- Liking new Class VII so far. The entire dynamic between the four of them (including Rean) is so well balanced in a way that reminds me of the SSS from the Crossbell arc. Can't wait to see where everything goes with these folks!

- Speaking of the SSS, RANDY! I mean, I've known for a while that he was in this game as a Thors instructor, but I was still ill-prepared for his appearance. From the moment he's on the screen, he's just so... well, Randy. Also, I can already see the chemistry between him and Towa being really fun, which is something I never even considered.

- Good to see Chancellor Osborne is still, just, the biggest asshole.

- Just lots of interesting questions and drama right off the bat - why is Rean back to avoiding use of his ogre power? Why is Osborne trying to draw out Ouroboros? Why does Arianrhod seem cool with that jaeger attack in the opening despite her showing misgivings about similar tactics in the past? What is Olivier's plan for the branch campus - surely he has some idea behind putting all the bad eggs in one basket? What the hell happened in North Ambria? GAH gotta play more, but SOCIAL OBLIGATIONS!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  8. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Wanted to be playing Cold Steel III, but I think the post office lost my package :(

No LE for me :(

9. AnimeGamer183

Dont give up that easily! It should show up soon hopefully :)

10. AttentionDeficitGuy

It's official. Playing the Crossbell arc before CS3 was worth it for no other reason than
    Jingo randomly showing up.

11. Cryrobinson

Luckily, I managed to figure it out. Stopped my mail lady when she returned to her truck after hitting my apartment complex, to which she said "Yeah I delivered a box on Monday" but I had no box, so I went door to door. Turns out she accidentally delivered it 7 doors down. Luckily I did that when I did, as they said they planned to return it to the post office later in the week!

I was so worried. I've had too many packages not make it to my apartment in the past, this would've just been a much harder one to replace! Especially since the eBay scumbags already have them up at $175+. :/

12. AnimeGamer183

Oof sounds like you need to move asap, if they struggle to deliver your mail properly thats a big red flag. Also would probably try to avoid having items shipped, i know there was no other option in the case of the CS3 CE, but I would buy in store as much as possible to off set package delivery stress.

13. Cryrobinson

Yeah, that's been my solution. That, or planning shipments to arrive at my office, where I've not had any packages lost. Cause yeah, these CE's are a big cost initially, so if they are ever lost and I have to buy again, I'm out a big chunk of change. Wish NISA would sell CE's on Amazon forreal :p

14. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Why on earth would they do that? Did the package have the wrong address on it, so they didn't know what else to do with it? Because if it had the right address, all they had to do was walk down 7 doors and give it to you. We've gotten stuff for my neighbours a few times and we just walked down the street and put it in their mailboxes ourselves. (If the items had been too big for a mailbox, then we would have knocked on the door instead.) It's not even just the right thing to do, it's the easier thing to do, as opposed to going all the way back to the post office to return it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  15. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

Lately, I've been playing a good bit of Overwatch on the Switch, mixed in with a bit of Dead by Daylight and The Switcher 3.

16. Cryrobinson

It had the right address. My guess is they really don't care, so they probably don't pay enough attention. Apparently after looking into it, I have one of the worst local post offices in my city. So that is wonderful, very excited about that xD

17. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Last night I got Game Pass for a dollar and I downloaded The Outer Worlds and played for about 3 hours. The game feels like a New Vegas sequel with a delightfully gaudy coat of paint barfed all over it. The three hours I played I loved it. Going for an extremely uncharismatic but highly intelligent scientist gurl this time around.

Cryrobinson likes this.
  18. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I finally got off my butt and started UltraMoon >_> I decided with my Pokemon Project just to leave everything up to ORAS on OR, keep all Alolan and other special stuff (Ash's Greninja, shiny Zygarde, etc) on US, and then start fresh on the Switch ones... My biggest part of my hiatus and hesitation to get through, was HOW I could move everything from OR over, including having all Mega Stones (Sun only provided about 70% of them as gifts) and when I saw the cosplay Pikachus I was like "oh right... those don't trade..." and I just kinda calmed down and figured to leave them as-is >_>

Well, that decision helped me move on, so I can go through my "rushed" play of UM (despite all that text...) I can't decide what I hate more: 5 playthroughs of Hoenn, or 4 of Alola :/

19. AnimeGamer183

I have started up Shenmue II HD, its almost release time! 18 days and counting! HYYPPPEEEE

20. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

Persona 4 Golden:

Currently going after Adachi. I played Arena and Ultimax already, so I knew what was coming. Not sure if this dude has any deeper motive, but so far, I expected more from him. He seriously just started killing people because he had a crush on someone, got rejected, and got bored? Eh... [​IMG]
    And before we went after him, the party considered killing Namatame. Of all people, Naoto was the one who suggested the idea. Granted, it was Yosuke who wanted to do it the most, but Naoto was the one who hinted at the method. [​IMG] Seems like at first, Kanji just wanted to hurt the guy. I was shocked at this part, since it was really out of character for Naoto to say that. She didn't even say anything when the other girls opposed the idea. I guess this was to show and remind us that Naoto is not always calmed and composed all the time...?
    I kinda wonder what would happen if I chose to suspect other people, instead of Adachi, when Naoto asked. [​IMG] The only reason why I chose Adachi was because I knew the spoiler. I was afraid what would happen if I chose anyone besides him.

On the plus side, I'm now in intimate relationship with Rise, Chie, Yukiko, Yumi, and Marie. Sorry Naoto, if only I'd read the guide more carefully... [​IMG]
    Thank you, Atlus, for making this game, so that old life-long virgin men like me can date underage girls. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019