What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

About 10 hours into Clannad and I've yet to shed a tear. I was led to believe there would be soul crushing heartbreak!!

Also, I started up Tokyo School Life for the first time and...
    ... I hate that the first thing I saw was a screen prompting me to connect Joy-Con. Then after connecting them, the game let's me control everything with the Touch Screen. It seems that the only two instances where I actually NEED the Joy-Con are to back out of the Help and System Menus, which could have been handled with a simple on screen "Back" Button. Visual Novels that don't make proper use of the Switch's Touch Screen and require Joy-Con are sort of a "pet peeve" of mine.

2. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Gonna be honest, I wasn't expecting the story for DQB2 to be quite as interesting as its turning out to be.

Kikki likes this.
  3. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I'm going back and forth between CTR and Splatoon 2 for the Final Splatfest. I'm in a place with horrible wifi so Splatoon is hard to play sadly, but I have mnaged to get some games in. The gold and silver inks are nice, and while I am sad to see it end it is a cool fest to go out on.

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I was so invested in the characters (well, character) of DQB2 that I felt like quitting at a certain point when...let's say when various mechanics were forced to shift. I never look up endings...but with DQB2 I had to, because I lost my motivation to play when my suspicions that _____ was going to happen seemed to be coming true. So I had to look up post game content and so on to get my desire to play back. The only other time that has happened was with Cold Steel II, when I knew what had to be coming at the end, and I didn't like it and wasn't ready for it and just wasn't willing to experience it, lol...so when I got to the Infernal Castle, I set CSII down for six months before I finally felt like I could go ahead and finish it.

So I cheated with DQB2 and looked it up to see if what I suspected was true, and it was, but only partly, so I got my motivation back and finished the story. :)

There is SO MUCH left to do in post game, though! I left a lot of my 'tablet goals' alone to have them for later, and I still have about 60 room types I haven't made/discovered yet, and quite a few cooking recipes too, I think. And the expansion stuff hasn't come out yet! I'm really looking forward to all those new styles. Right now I'm having fun making aquarium floors and ceilings on my sandy house in the desert, but it'll be even more fun once the Aquarium Pack releases on the 26th and I can populate my coral-filled pools with fish. :D

5. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Cheater! x3 Glad you are enjoying DQB2 though, I have seen a ton of people on that game like drugs. I doubt I will ever play them but the fact so many people are so into it is great considering its just a DQ sub series. XI Switch comes out soon... if I ever get XI I really need to figure out which version I will get.

Kikki likes this.
  6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I don't like Minecraft one bit, so I was surprised when I loved DQB, and 2 is much better, imo. It takes the first game and gives you more of everything. More styles to build in, more colours, more tools, more goals, more player character customization, more enemies...etc. It's been great fun and I still have loads left to do before I'll have every food, room and crafting recipe unlocked. I also have to go back and fight a bunch of 'super strong' monsters since they have special drops that give you new armor or weapons or unlock new recipes, etc. There's so much to do, it's really hard to keep track of it all!

I tried DQXI on PS4 cuz it looked good, and I'm sure it would have been fun since the story was starting to pick up pretty well where I left off, but I found the turn-based battle system so tedious, I couldn't stand it...had to give it up. I think the Trails series are the only games that have not made me hate turn-based combat. I actually liked combat in the Cold Steel games...but that's the only time I can think of where I didn't dislike it.

Battle-wise I'm far more into Tales and Xenoblade, I guess. Turn-based is one of my biggest dislikes in gaming. Wish it wasn't...I could have finished the last ten or so percent of Setsuna if not for that!

7. AnimeGamer183

Turned based is amazing, but I am well used to them at this point. I will give a harsh example that my first turned based game was Final Fantasy Legend on gameboy... that game displays everything thats going on in battle in text on the screen and when I was a kid, I was totally lost. Pokemon Red was actually when I finally understood turn based battle, and its been smooth sailing ever since, I love action JRPGs like Tales and Xenoblade plenty as well, its great to mix up the styles and keep gaming fresh!

Kikki likes this.
  8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I grew up on turn-based since I've been a gamer for 33 years now (ugh, I hate saying I've been doing *anything* for 33 years already) and almost everything back then was turn-based. Everything we had, anyway...perhaps since we were PC-only at the time. So I understand it well enough, at least. But (for me) it's a case of once you've experienced something better (or something you LIKE more, since 'better' is subjective) you can't stand to go back. I love action, and ever since it became an option...well to me it feels like the difference between dial-up and wi-fi internet connections, lol. I really can't think of any games but the Trails games that made me think turn-based combat was fun. I really hated the combat in DQXI, anyway, because story-wise I actually wanted to continue playing, but the combat system ruined my desire to continue. :/

Glad it doesn't ruin the fun for most people. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. DustyStarr

Crash Team Racing: I got all of the GP items from it's battle pass thing! Now just trying to get more money for the GP limited things in the shop. I have also been playing some adventure mode, but the last couple days were devoted to the GP stuff.

Splatoon 2: Played some Salmon Run and Turf War for fun.

Donkey Kong 3: Not excusing Nintendo's BS with the Switch VC but I like this game so...

10. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Started Odin Sphere Leifthrasir over the weekend. Hadn't played Odin Sphere before, but was a huge fan of Dragon's Crown and Muramasa, so I had high expectations, of which all were met! Vanillaware has some of my favorite video game art, and I love their gameplay style. The combos never stop!

11. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

The folk from island 3 will be my most neglected, for obvious reasons, lol.

Kikki likes this.
  12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

OH, btw...a bit weird but all the DLC is already unlocked on Switch. (I think it's still date-locked on other consoles, though.) Found that out as soon as I bought it...I didn't buy it as a bundle but held off until I was done the game. Really wasn't expecting to have all that content unlock instantly like that, lol, but it was a nice surprise. So great to be able to fill my lakes full of coral, anemones and all kinds of fish. :D So much livelier with the fish!

Yeah, I'm still holding a grudge against some of the 3rd section people, tbh.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Got through the opening segment of chapter 4 of Trails to Azure... holy shit. Easily one of the most chilling segments in the series.

14. AnimeGamer183

I'll save my histrionics descriptions, but just know, im reeling... x3

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  15. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe I should do for this chapter what I did for Zero and haven't been doing for Ao and just post general reactions when I finish it, but damn in a game that was pretty insane from the start this chapter took it to eleven, and is now bumping it up from eleven to twenty-two. Just finished the first day of the chapter and...

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT DIETER CROIX'S THE BADDIE, ISN'T HE!? He's the one who hired Red Constellation to besiege Mainz and wreak havoc on Crossbell in a bid to force the question of independence, then to yeet his way into the presidency, he's pulling a Palpatine, I KNOW THAT MAN IS PULLING AN ADIOS-DAMN PALPATINE, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT...

I mean, unless I'm wrong, and it's just Osborne. BUT MAYBE DIETER IS THE BADDIE BUT OSBORNE WAS ALSO PLANNING FOR/MANIPULATING THIS ALL ALONG!?!? BLOOD-AND-IRON CHANCELLOR OP PLZ NERF!?!?!?!

And what about Arios, WHAT ABOUT ARIOS, ADIOS DAMMIT, HOW DID DIETER PULL THAT MAN AWAY FROM THE GUILD!?!? His dropping out of the Bracers in order to take up that sketchy Secretary of Defense position is WAY out of character, is Dieter brainwashing him somehow? Is Gnosis involved? DID DIETER DRUG MY MAIN MAN ARIOS!?!?!? GAAAAAAAAAH!

(needless to say, those who know whether my random speculations strewn in there are correct or no, please make no comment - I'll find out in due course, I just needed to vent)

16. banballow

Clannad
    Just made it to the Festival, and I'll admit... Kouko not being able to see her sister right in front of her, and finding out what exactly has been going on with Fuko... one or two tears may have escaped out of my right eye. I can neither confirm or deny.

17. banballow

Finished off my first route in Clannad tonight, somewhere between 15-20hr. Thanks for the oh so accurate timekeeping Switch!!
    So, not gonna rush into another route just yet. Where we headed now?

Straight to heck!! I got it a couple of years ago for my Switch, haven't ever really invested to much time in it, but with the surprise launch of its brethren this week... time for some DOOM '16.

18. DustyStarr

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (or Fire Emblem 3: Houses, as I have seen people call it...........). Battles seem fun if easy, the scool stuff feels slow n boring tho. I'm a good few hours in and I would be more than 4 chapters in at this point in a past game.

19. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

You can automate a bunch of the itty-bitty teaching stuff if you want.
    I've heard people describe it as a game of three halves, though, which seems pretty accurate.

20. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Hero is fun to play as.