What Are You Currently Playing?

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by VongolaGearX, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

The only problem I remember really having with it was that the map was garbage, lol. I got lost so many times, which I don't recall happening (or at least to this degree) in XC1 and X. I missed that dumb tracking ball from X.

2. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

The map really was terrible. I mean, Xenoblade is always somewhat like that with the mapping...it's confusing to find certain points marked on the map because of elevation or the point actually being inside a cave whose entrance is nowhere nearby, or something. But XC2 was the worst of the lot for leading you astray, imo, even with that pointer that took elevation into account. It was still often really hard to find what you were looking for. (Though tbh, I never really got the hang of the Follow Ball, either. But I don't think I tried all that hard, in that case.)

3. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Tetris DS, which I also bought. Between this and PvZ I'm enjoying puzzly things.

4. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Been replaying Trails of Cold Steel - haven't given as much play-by-play as I did with my Sky replays, but it's still been a wild ride! I didn't realize how much I missed these characters until I booted up the game. Also, been noticing a lot of really subtle foreshadowing now that I've played CS2 and the 3rd, particularly involving a certain pair of characters' connection with each other (you know the ones) and a couple of other characters' connections with the Septian Church (you know of at least one - the other was actually a CS3 spoiler I demanded to know because I was too clever for my boots).

And speaking of the 3rd, I just reached the scene in Chapter 6 where Towa shows Rean what she and her friends did for the previous year's school festival, and I can now tell that the song they sang was "Cry for Me, Cry for You," which I thought was a fun, cheeky little touch.

5. DustyStarr

The field skills were not handled very well either. Also the side quests are just awful, there is so much back and forth with each quest it makes me not even want to do them, the first two games did not have this problem so I am not sure why this one does.

Though my bigger problems with XC2 are with the story, and also the implications of the blades.

Kikki likes this.
  6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

The whole blade x driver thing was very interesting and complex and a little troubling, and yet, the aspects that really picked at me were not mentioned much in the actual story, just as a side issue here and there. The field skills were handled horribly, imo. So many times you were blocked from plot progress for not having exactly the right total of skills to get past the latest checkpoint. I remember that being particularly frustrating in Tantal.

I liked XC2, but only moderately...it wasn't a smooth enough playing experience to really whisk me away, and the most compelling characters were all among the antagonists. It definitely didn't get onto my general favourites list, whereas XC1 and XCX are on my all-time favourites list. I will play it a second time some day, though, when I can scrape up the motivation. Sometimes a game is more enjoyable the second time through.

~

I'm back to playing Hearts R now after a long break spent mostly on My Time at Portia. I think I might be about 60% complete, and I find the characters quite lovable, but the story is a bit bland.

7. DustyStarr

There are some XC2 spoilers in this so I am putting it in the spoilers tab, and people have told me these views are dumb anyways so (putting it politely).

So my issue with the blades and drivers lies largely with how it seems to promote the objectification of women. Blades are literally nonhuman things owned by their (mostly male) drivers. Most blades are female and highly sexualized, and there is only a single main female character who is not a blade. SO almost all of the women in the game are sexualized objects for the male protag to own, and the collectible nature of them doesn't help with this. This just feels kinda gross to me and I don't like it, it sends a bad message of women being sexual objects to be owned.

Maybe my thoughts will change when I finish the game, since I am only at like chapter 5 I think, but still, that was one of the things making me enjoy my experience with the game less. The story itself also just seems... not as good as the first game, but at least better told than X, I will admit.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Persona 2 IS. I keep taking mini breaks on this game, but trying to do what I can with it and grind levels and cards. Better than 1 I guess, but I just really hate negotiating for cards and stuff :/

9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

@DustyStarr I don't have quite the same feelings, but I don't think it's dumb.

I never really thought of it that way. If that's the viewpoint that was natural to you, I can definitely see it being a huge turn off. Luckily (I guess?) it never occurred to me in that specific light, even though I agree that the female characters in XC2 are largely very sexualized. Certainly the female blades are. But rather than thinking specifically of it being a feminist issue, I was bothered by the whole blades-are-property thing as a whole. They're not just slaves...their morality is in their driver's hands, rather than their own. Their driver can actually shape some of their personality each time...the driver is the one who gets to decide if the blade is more hero, or villain, and they don't even own their own memories. I found that very interesting, and it bothered me a little that it was never really an issue that was made much note of (there was a little here and there, in side quests and character bits, but there was no real resistance from even the blades who admitted some dissatisfaction with the situation). It was often all I was thinking about as the story went on. I was hoping the feelings/rights/lives/free will of blades would be addressed at least a little more in *SPOILER WITHHELD* but it wasn't.

Basically, XC2 was a disappointment to me because the character art style was TOO anime, the fan-service was so clearly aimed only at men, the main party was uninteresting compared to the antagonists, and because there was a great story in there, but they never actually explored what I thought made that universe unique and interesting...and the world was less interesting to explore and the game had a less entertaining battle system. Easier, but a bit flat, for me. I didn't hate it at all, I just couldn't love it. But my opinion is very much in the minority. It was disappointing for me, though, to play a Xenoblade game for the first time and not love it. It's nice that this title took the series fully mainstream, though...should ensure its survival :)

I love XCX to bits, and actually found the story to be quite good, though very incomplete.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. DustyStarr

I don't hate it either honestly, also I totally agree with your feelings on the blades, I was hoping that would be a bit expanded on but I suppose that was too much to hope for. My gender focused look at the issue the balance in blades and drivers I mentioned... a certain character being a blade made me legit mad.

It feels like 2 was defnitely a rush job and they really could have handled the story and world better, and in an RPG, especially wth a battle system like this, I kind of need those things to keep me going. But I will finish it and then play Torna. Maybe I will find more things I can enjoy. I don't want to dislike it.

I loved the story that existed in XCX, but yes, it was very incomplete and fragmented, and it required so much grinding to get a lot of it which was a huge turnoff for me. I really want to go and play the game again honestly and get the stuf I missed, but the time investment is so hard for me to justify.

11. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

There is so much freaking stuff to keep up with in XB2... and some how I am loving getting to the bottom of figuring it all out. I dont think I am actually gonna have a decent grasp of it all until 70 or 80 ore more hours in... im almost 50 hours in and only on chapter 4. each driver basically has their own equipment, then 3 blades equipped, then the blades have their own equipments which all ultimately apply to the driver, wow. Then you have regular quests, then the merc quests which are basically automated quests that happen in the background with a timer, the salavaging, the gacha style core crystal system which gets you new blades, the skill chart which has its own requirements to activate each node which can range from battle to using items, then there is the pouch items which is basically even more equipment but they are items on a timer and their effect only last the duration. OH. MY. GOD. so much to tinker with in this one, jesus.

And then on top of that, it has some of the most obscure and odd equipment buffs and stats I have seen, you can literally tune your character for every grinding venture in what ever area you want. You need stuff to help take down bird or ape or beast creatures? Oh they have other skills and atributes well their is equipment to work around it, and its so over the top in depth with it. Its hard to just upgrade strength/defense and magic or HP because there is so much more options for other things, jesus.

12. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Labyrinth of Refrain: Good times. Just at about 109 hours. Should be close to taking out the final final boss but massive difficulty spike and all that.

So...I just finished Zanki Zero. Like...WTF and stuff. No seriously, what the heck was wrong with Lancarse? This game makes Yoko Taro's games look incredibly upbeat. And given what made it into the game, the censorship's all the more baffling. Cuz seriously folks, I really don't think those were anywhere near the level of disturbing as what's in there. D:

God Eater (PS4): Played a bit of this and did some of the other free missions. Probably should do the story mission at some point.

13. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

Finally started P4G the other day. After 7 years since my first Persona game, P4A, I finally get to play Persona 4. :rolleyes:

I love the atmosphere of this game. The town, the school, etc. For the lack of a better word, they have this weird charm to them that makes me want to keep playing. Characters were well introduced right from the start. No battle yet, though, just met Teddie. :oops:

14. AttentionDeficitGuy

Trails from Zero

Finished the prologue chapter of the current fan translation. The Engrish is strong with this one, but so far it's never gotten to the point of unintelligibility. In fact, I'm slowly getting used to it (which surprises me given that as both an avid reader and a grammar dictator, I thought it would bother me a lot more). Some of my initial reactions:

- Already love the core cast - having a team of four means it's much smaller ensemble than CS, leaving more room for character interaction between all four of them, but also potentially more balanced and consistent than Sky's formula of two main members plus one or two guests.

- That regular-ass battle music has no right being regular-ass battle music. Pretty sure that's a boss track slumming it in random battles. And I kinda love it.

- The enemy advantage system combined with having four party members right off the bat makes this probably the easiest early game in the series - yes, easier than CS1 or CS2. For random battles, at least. Victories where I literally do nothing but wait for the "Team Rush" boost to trigger are far from unusual.

- Already love Crossbell as a setting. It's colorful, it's varied, and it's got a great layout I've already almost memorized.

AnimeGamer183 likes this.
  15. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Still my favorite Persona game. :)

Shadow of Colossus PS4: Since it was a floater I took it for a spin for a while to make sure it played fine. Played for a good hour and didn't run into a single enemy other than unintended suicide falling off a cliff. D: Definitely pretty though, might wait until I inevitably pick up a PS4 Pro since there was a setting there for it.

Tales of Vesperia PS4: Played about an hour since I picked it up on sale. Decided to go sub route since the dub is so memorable. And...boy, that's not Troy Baker. I may have to swap back since I think I can't change it (really???) during the game. I'm sure a lot of the other performances compare favorably but Baker's Lowell is awesome.

Cosmic Star Heroine PS4: Roughly 7 hours in. With a patch or two since the last time I gave it a spin, seems a lot less buggy - only one one forced reset (my party boxed me in at an obstacle somehow) and some strangely missing characters in text boxes. Character balance seems so...wacky. Very Suikodenesque as far as some clearly more powerful characters and some really not so good ones. Already ran into a super boss and that went about as well as I expected (lol). Much like Cthulhu Saves the World, there's so much good dialogue here (though to this point, not as good - but certainly better than Breath of Death VII).

16. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

You know... I love visual novels, and I love puzzle games. You think Kotodama would be right up my alley... and yet, I'm at Chapter Five, and still have this really strong feeling of "meh". At this point, I'm just trying to wrap it up before my next big Switch VN gets here.

17. zerokid2

zerokid2 Member

I finished song of the ocean today. i think i like gagharv more than sky. :D
    Now that i'm done i can chill out until bloodstained.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  18. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

Okay, first run through Kotodama, done. Back at the starting position, round two, FIGHT!! I'll hold out hope that things are changed up enough the second time around to keep me interested. Looks like my other game won't be here until Monday at the earliest, so it has plenty of time.

19. AttentionDeficitGuy

Trails from Zero: Chapter 1 complete! Some random thoughts from this chapter:

-- I kinda like how the Bracer Guild is almost a pseudo-antagonist in this game (or more accurately, a Barrier to Get Over). Reminds me of how it felt playing Cold Steel for the first time and seeing the Empire, initially viewed through an antagonistic lens, through the eyes of the protags.

-- Fast travel in the city! I love that while the game is giving this option early, it still withheld it throughout the prologue to let the player get a feel for the city layout first.

-- After seeing Rixia a lot wandering through the city in the prologue, I wasn't able to catch sight of her at all in chapter one. Which is a shame, as I'm already super invested in her story (I know she becomes a major character later on, though, so I've far from seen the last of her).

-- Didn't think Estelle and Joshua would show up quite this early. Either way, it's cool to see how after the events of the Sky trilogy they now completely outclass the current set of protagonists. It's a bit fan-service-y, but it also makes sense in-universe for B-Rank (I believe) Bracers, one of whom is a former Enforcer and the other is a prodigious fighter, it's satisfying in that you can see they're already starting to live up to Cassius' legacy, and it gives the Special Support Section something to aspire to.

-- Arios' daughter is giving me some strong "dead mom" vibes - if true, this all but confirms that an integral step to becoming a master swordsman in the Kiseki-verse is to be a widower with a young daughter (see also Cassius Bright and Victor S. Arseid).

-- With the introduction of Zeit, we now have three major characters (that I'm aware of) who are animals with human-level intelligence (Sieg, Zeit, and Celine), along with four humans capable of understanding said characters even when speaking animal speak (Kloe, Lechter, Tio, and Emma). Starting to wonder if there are bigger lore implications to this than I originally thought - something to do with witches, perhaps? Maybe I'll learn more in CS3.

-- A house owned by a "doll maker"? Seems to me we now have the "real world" basis for The Doll Knight from SC. Especially since it seems whoever lives there is repairing Pater-Mater. (Oh, yeah, Renne is here too, and just conversing pleasantly with Arios no less - I'll be interested to see how much progress the Estelle/Joshua/Renne subplot makes in this arc).

-- It looks like the game is setting up the Revache mafia group as the main antagonists - the question is, are they a red herring? Will the true evil end up being this Heiyue organization that hasn't quite shown up yet? Or will it be something super twisty like the IBC or the Epstein Foundation? Only time will tell.

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Still struggling to complete the very looooong main story of My Time at Portia, and when I need to take a break from it, I'm trying to get back to Okami. Had it for years and never got very far in.