What Anime Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Anime/Movies Discussion' started by Peytral, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Now finished the (hopefully) first season of Demon Slayer. Final verdict/mini-review: it's an above-average shonen action series, elevated to something more by the incredible animation, art style, and sound design. Episode 19 in particular has probably one of the most beautifully crafted moments of sight and sound in pretty much any anime I've seen. I can definitely recommend it, and it's made me want to check out some of Ufotable's other work just for the animation alone. Fingers crossed it gets a second season (though it seems popular enough that it most likely will, unless Ufotable just has to start working on another Fate spinoff instead).

Also, going from the cutting edge to a bit retro, I just finished watching the first season of Full Metal Panic! for the first time. I tried watching this show once way back when, but the first couple of episodes didn't grab me so I never finished it. However, with the hype around the recent seasons, I decided to give it another shot, and I'm glad I did. It almost reminds me of the early arcs of Code Geass, in a way, in that it has a pretty good mixture of military mecha action and slice-of-life dramedy. I'm finding more and more that I might be a closet real robot genre fan, as (again, like with early Code Geass) I just love seeing these mecha fights with relatively grounded abilities (Lambda Driver notwithstanding) and small skirmish tactics.

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I'm caught up with reading the currently volumes Viz has, so at least caught up to where the anime is going, but still need to watch the last ep... The next mini-arc is apparently going to be made into a movie. Honestly, if they want to go that route, it works, because it has enough time to last a few eps, or a movie-length. After that I guess they will be doing S2. Hope I'll be caught up with reading by time that comes!

Honestly, I've been enjoying reading/watching the series WAY more than I had though :x Has the feeling of when I originally got into Inuyasha. It's not easy for me to get into typical shonen stuff either, but this one just... has that something different to it. Ufotable and their animation and OST has been excellent. Love Inosuke too. Hard-headed, pretty-boy piggy :p

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  3. AttentionDeficitGuy

That's great to hear! I can't wait to see what Ufotable will do with Demon Slayer on a movie budget. And yes, Inosuke is best boi, easily.

Also, just had to mention, I just started Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, and HOLY SHIT. It's hard to believe this came out only two years after the first season. Comparing Kyoani's quality of art and animation to Gonzo's using the same source material close to the same time is like night and day. It just really drives home how consistent Kyoto Animation's quality has been even from the early days.

4. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

I finished off Fruits Basket Season 1 which was like catching up with an old friend, looking forward to Season 2. I finished Gundam Origins Dub as well. AND watched Evangelion TV, Death and Rebirth, and The End of Evangelion! I was reminded how good it actually was and I have started work on a video about Eva for my channel. Also DBS Dub finally finished and it was enjoyable enough and im still getting through Fire Force and Dr Stone and Black Clover and started Demon Slayer. I am still really digging Fire Force and Dr Stone, Demon Slayer seems pretty sweet and Black Clover is always fun.

5. AttentionDeficitGuy

Watching the new season of My Hero Academia. This is my favorite season so far. The show's always been really strong, but paradoxically, I've always found these sorts of high school settings to work best when the main cast gets to step back from the actual high school like this. (Also I'm getting serious KeA from Kiseki vibes from Eri, which helps.)

Also, if we're counting anime-inspired American shows in this topic, I've been keeping up with the latest season of RWBY. Episode 6 of the current season was just superb - the first five minutes or so of team RWBY (and... what are we calling Jaune's team now? Team JNR? Team JNOR if you count Oscar? Whatever...) just doing a montage of huntress work and training was super well-done, and the writing between Weiss and Winter, Clover and Robin, and Ruby and [spoiler character] was really strong. I feel like the series has definitely found its own identity in terms of animation - using its 3D nature to its advantage rather than just trying to imitate a 2D anime style in 3D animation. Season 7 in general has been really good, but this last episode really stood out to me.