Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni (Psvita)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by videoman, Mar 21, 2015.

1. flarecde

flarecde Member

This reminds me of a phrase I've seen, something like correlation is not causation. Just because XSEED happened to skip a couple games that are Vita only, or risque, or whatever else, doesn't mean that's the reason they skipped over them. Unless they say otherwise (and I doubt they can/will), we really can't assume the reasoning behind their business decisions. The good news is other companies are filling in the gaps, so there's no worries. And XSEED is still bringing plenty of interesting games.

2. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

Really. If there's something that's bothering folks, it's good to hear it from the horse's mouth. In this case, hear it from Tom.

3. Kresnik

Kresnik New Member

Speaking of hearing it from Tom, that brings up another point that I did think of. A while ago (and I am talking about probably more than a year now, back around last E3) I seem to remember Tom saying something along the lines of "If we like a game we'll find a way to fit it in our schedule somehow".

It's quite a difficult sell to believe that all the missing titles were unliked by the team. I mean sure, we've had IA/VT explained as being a tough sell in the west, and I seem to remember something about Luminous Arc having no cheerleaders for the series so it didn't happen. But a stylish VN with an interesting social commentary? A new action game in the vein of Senran Kagura? A flipping Falcom game?

It'd take me months of digging to find that quote from Tom, but I swear to god he said it :p

Anyway, the only way to match what he said then (won't skip a game if they like it) and what he's saying now (there's no change in policy) is that they literally mustn't have liked any of them which just seems... bizarre.

I appreciate Tom's interactions with the community more than I can express and I'm not trying to drop him in it or anything, I'm just trying to verbalize why (I feel) people are bringing up the whole Vita exclusives thing. Like I said earlier, as long as the games are coming (regardless of who is bringing them) then I'm happy.

4. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

There are a number of reasons why we might not localize a game. For specific games, we can rarely ever officially identify our exact reasoning to fans, but in general, these are some of the more common things that will keep us from localizing a title:

• The game is prohibitively expensive to license, for one reason or another, or the terms of the contract we'd have to sign for the game seem virtually guaranteed to lose us money. Sometimes, we can tell you guys when this happens, but other times, we really can't (for legal reasons). It happens a lot more often than you'd think, though, and for games you wouldn't necessarily expect it to.
    • Somebody else just wanted the game more than we did, and was willing to bid higher than we were able to for the rights to it. This comes up very, very infrequently -- in general, when we really want a game, we're willing to pay pretty well for it -- but just like when you're bidding on an eBay item that you REALLY WANT, there's always that one stray item every now and again where some dude places an absurdly high bid that you can't possibly match because dammit, he WANTS it, and he won't allow anyone else to have it, even if he has to go broke to get it!
    • There are technical/programming issues with the game that would make localization costly and/or impossible. This happens a little more often than you'd think too, and has forced us to pass on some games we really, really would've loved to work on otherwise. If there's a game you can think of that never got localized by anyone, despite it seeming like a no-brainer, this is a very likely explanation for that.
    • Somebody on the Japanese development team or at the Japanese publisher really doesn't want the game to be released outside of Japan, for one reason or another. This has absolutely happened before, where the devs simply wouldn't let a particular game go for ANY sum of money, and it's always really disheartening when it does -- especially because the reasoning behind it never seems to make any sense at all.
    • We evaluated the game and simply didn't like it. This is one reason you'll never hear us own up to for any game, as it would be terribly unprofessional of us to do so and could damage business relationships with Japanese developers and publishers. But it definitely happens! We take pride in all the games we release, so if we evaluate a game that we feel doesn't measure up to our standards, we won't release it -- even if fans are begging for it, we won't feel comfortable releasing something that we know sucks, as that'll just come across like we're fleecing you guys. (And yes, this does mean that at least one XSEED member has been able to recommend, to some extent or another, each and every game we've released to date -- even the ones that didn't review well and that you guys make fun of from time to time!)
    • It's been determined that the game wouldn't sell well enough to justify the cost we'd have to put into it. This, I think, is where the "XSEED has given up on Vita-exclusive games" point of view stems from -- but rest assured, a game being Vita-exclusive isn't nearly enough to preclude it from being a viable business venture. We've had a lot of luck with Vita games to date, and the Vita install base is certainly big enough to support the kinds of numbers we need to survive. A game's platforms of availability certainly do factor into our decisions on these sorts of matters, but it's rarely the deciding factor -- especially in this day and age where porting games to PC is almost always a viable option, given enough time and budget. ;)

Again, this is just a general list, and far from a complete one. Each game is unique, and reasons can sometimes get very specific. And again, I'll never be able to confirm the exact reason we aren't the ones working on any game in particular. But hopefully, this list will help you realize that there's more to evaluating a game for localization than you may have thought.

-Tom

5. Yunyo_Tovah

Yunyo_Tovah Member

Very illuminating post Tom, thanks for replying.
    I'd love to hear which games were just too technical to overcome from a programming perspective sometime, even though I know it's unlikely I'll ever know. Puts a few other company's titles in perspective though.

6. Kresnik

Kresnik New Member

As always, thanks for the insight Tom. It's interesting to apply these to Valkyrie Drive to see which ones fit :p

7. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Oh, again, I'm not specifically talking about Valkyrie Drive or any other particular game here. That list is just a sampling of some of the reasons we've been unable to work on titles in the past -- and it's just stuff I thought of off the top of my head. There are way more reasons than that, and it seems like the list just keeps growing with every new game we're forced to turn down -- this is a very strange business, and the reasons NOT to work on a title seem to number almost as many as the reasons TO work on a title sometimes. ;)

-Tom

Leon Tekashi likes this.
  8. flarecde

flarecde Member

It's a pity you can't talk about it, 'cause it must make for some very interesting stories!

Kresnik likes this.
  9. Battlechili

Battlechili Member

10. Leon Tekashi

And more money for Marvelous. Very good news for PC owners.

11. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

If it is not a Vita game, it has chances with Marvelous.

12. Leon Tekashi

Especially with how the Vita is nowadays in the West.

13. tilinelson2

Arguably niche games on Vita don't sell less than its counterparts on other platforms, but that is water under the bridge already.

My only fear is that Marvelous USA soon become Senran Kagura nad Story of Seasons company.

14. Leon Tekashi

Well, Takaki stated that he's working on other games besides SK. Whether they'll be successful is another story.

15. joakkar

joakkar Member

honestly after exile's end and avalon code I lost most of my faith in marvelous games. And since two of the last games released were a waifu crossover fighter and a waifu-themed dynasty warriors clone, I have even less expectations now (ironically enough story of seasons looks the best even when that one actually involves marrying characters lol)

16. tilinelson2

What mostly hurts is that things like Luminous Arc, Uppers, etc, that many people asked for were ignored in favor of games no one knew or wanted.

Anyway, what is done is done. Now that even non-Trails Falcom games are being done by others, it may be a long time till Marvelous USA release another game I want.

Battlechili likes this.