Upcoming 3Ds Harvest Moon Title

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tsuko85, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Tsuko85

Tsuko85 New Member

Xseed please be the ones to bring this over

Don't let Natsume get their hands on it

2. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I'm sorry to say, but Natsume always had their hands on it. They own the IP along with MAQL.

3. Tsuko85

Tsuko85 New Member

I doubt that, theres no way a publisher could be co owner of a popular series like Harvest Moon

4. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

There's no way Natsume would let go of the MAIN GAME they localize.

5. SquatDingloid

SquatDingloid New Member

I demand Tales of Vesperia PS3. Make it happen, XSeed, thanks.

6. shymel

shymel New Member

Yeah, Harvest Moon is Natsume's bread and butter. If they stop localizing Harvest Moon, I think the company's future would be grim.

7. Tsuko85

Tsuko85 New Member

Well Marvelous AQL could always refuse to let Natsume release any more Harvest Moon games

I hope this would occur, Natsume deserves to be dissolved for the horrible voice acting that the first three Rune Factory games got

8. Takao

Takao New Member

Natsume owns the Harvest Moon trademark.

9. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Up until today I had always thought Natsume was the developer for Harvest Moon....weird that they own the trademark for a game that they neither develop nor publish in Japan.

10. Tsuko85

Tsuko85 New Member

Natsume, an american company can't own a Japanese rpg series that they didn't help develop

11. Takao

Takao New Member

The ownership on this is a bit murky as there's been Natsume exclusive releases like Puzzle de Harvest Moon, Frantic Farming, and specific ports. I'm not an expert but here's what I think I know:

There's a difference between owning the property, and owning the trademark. As far as I can tell it's not a shared ownership deal. MarvelousAQL owns the game series entirely. What Natsume has is the Harvest Moon trademark in North America and Europe. A trademark is the property's name, so that means you can't release a Harvest Moon branded game without Natsume's consent. I suppose XSEED could launch the next 3DS game in North America as a new IP, or even license the name like MAQL Europe has (notice the copyright info here crediting Natsume) but at that point, why? You may not care for Natsume's localizations but it's obviously an important property to them, and they have had a successful business relationship with Marvelous going back nearly 20 years. It's not like XSEED's automatically guaranteed to pick up every MAQL production either, as Fate/Extra and Muramasa Rebirth demonstrated.

Oh, and Natsume is technically a Japanese company. They're a subsidiary of a Tokyo based games company called Natsume-Atari (no relations to those other Atari companies).

Also, a publisher can own a property without having developed it. Tri-Ace developed almost everything Star Ocean related but Square Enix owns that property.

Edit: Before you ask, Marvelous has always owned the western Rune Factory trademarks.

12. akito666

akito666 New Member

I kinda understand. Natsume does poor voiceovers.

13. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Fixed.

14. HappyMaskMan

HappyMaskMan New Member

Eh, I think people give Natsume a bit too much of a hard time. I found Rune Factory 3 and Tides of Destiny to be pretty strong on the localization and voiceover front.