Trails to Zero localization?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by KamikazeK-, May 31, 2017.

1. Have you even SEEN the screenshots on the Geofront website? Sure, they're not professional localisers, but the quality of the dialogue in those is WAY above anything in Ys VIII, so that is a blatantly ridiculous comparison. You act as though the Geofront team is doing nothing to "transform" the text, and I don't know where that assumption comes from. They are definitely doing more than just a light round of editing and proofreading of fan translation.

Fair points on the PC port of Ao. Do all of those apply to Zero? That's unfortunate if that's the case.

I don't expect XSEED's other projects to "magically go away". I would however be pretty surprised if a series like Senran Kagura would be considered SO much more popular than the Trails games, at least in the West, to the point where it seemingly gets prioritised over Sen no Kiseki III, a game which has been very vocally requested. Granted, that may be a vocal minority. Or do Falcom have more control over which games XSEED localise first than I realise?

You're presenting a bit of a false dichotomy with regards to the potential localisation and release of the Crossbell games in the west. I realise now that on the technical side, getting the ports up to XSEED's usual standards would probably be more of a challenge than I realised. You're being a tad hyperbolic about Zero when it comes to how the final Geofront version will turn out, though.

Now that I know Trails of Cold Steel I & II Kai will be released on the PS4 in 2019, I'm willing to keep my peace until then for word of Trails of Cold Steel III, if a mere announcement of its localisation is THAT contingent on those being released first. #soon

2. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Err, based on remarks from XSEED, the Senran Kagura franchise is one of their most profitable licenses, whereas the Kiseki franchise is only moderately so. XSEED goes where the money is.

The Geofront translation is not viable, period. The issue of its quality doesn't even come into the picture. There are situations where a fan translation can be used, but those cases generally involve a very, very small number of like, usually one, at most two, that were responsible for all of the actual translation and editing work. The Crossbell translation project has seen multiple people serve as leaders, multiple people that did different parts of the translation, and multiple different people working on editing. I would be shocked if the current leadership even has contact information for all of the people that previously touched the project, or clear records of who was responsible for what. Without that information, they would have no idea who needed to be contacted to get their consent for a sale, nor are all the parties involved guaranteed to agree to a sale in the first place. It would only take one person refusing, or one person just flat out not responding, to scuttle any prospective deal. You don't put into commercial use something that does not have all of the legalities in order. Consent is not implied, it must be explicitly spelled out in a contract. Without that contract, you open yourself up to lawsuits, and XSEED as a business is not going to assume that sort of unwarranted risk.

3. Huh. I guess bewbs count for more than I thought when it comes to sales. :rolleyes:;)

It seems I underestimated just how much of a pain in the ass it would be for XSEED to contact all parties involved in the fan translation. I am aware that there is legal red tape, and I wouldn't want them to get into legal trouble. At least Falcom isn't taking steps to clamp down on the fan translations and the Geofront version of Zero. *touch wood*

4. Cqef

Cqef Member

I wouldn't expect Falcom to resort to C&D notices. They never did AFAIK. They've always embraced fan-efforts, and quite literally so since their current prez used to run a Falcom fansite in the 90s.

BrokenFantasy1985 likes this.
  5. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/08/14/trails-from-zero-90/

After a long time of silence we finally get an update! No guarantee it will come out before Cold Steel 3, but nice to get something. Might just hold off on playing Cold Steel 3 until this comes out then play the current Ao translation before going to 3. Doing replays of CS 1 and 2 with my friend makes me want to take a break from Erebonia once we get done with 2, plus that gives time to find out how the translation of CS 3 went and perhaps by then we can have an idea about what to expect for CS 4.

Not sure if anyone who works on the project reads this forum, but if they do just want to thank you for all the hard work you've put forward over the last bunch of years. What I look forward to most after playing Cold Steel is seeing chest messages again!

6. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Yeah, I've thanked the team before, but thanks again. I've awaited fan-translations for many games in the past, and honestly I rarely expect them to complete since in my experience, they only do like 10-20% of the time.

The fact you guys are just about done on a project so LARGE is dumbfounding! I hope you guys get hired after if that's what you guys want, you deserve it. Just uhh.. don't take it to heart unconstructive criticism from some weebs who will say so and so is 'butchered'. happens every time. I swear Japanese-> English RPG game translations has got to be one of the most thankless jobs around.

7. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

I am doing something similar, just I need to play Ao, CS 1 and 2, and 3... im hoping to be caught up for CS4 launch, I have played Sky and Zero though.

8. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

But if it isn't word for word like the Japanese version, the translators are taking it upon themselves to THROW AWAY the ORIGINAL INTENT and make their own FANFIC version of the game/anime! Also American voice actors are SO CRINGE! /s

9. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I always remind myself of the comments on Crunchyroll demanding the "original" and "superior" Japanese voices for RWBY when it first was available there.
    Some of these people are very clearly not that clever about this sort of thing.

10. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

Hell, you already have people doing that kind of stuff in the comments for things like an improved options menu and button textures. The translation isn't even fully out yet to be scrutinized and it's happening.

Exact quote:

KlausRealta likes this.
  11. Trails of Persona

I understand there can be preferences between original versus localized, but large majority of the time when I see people talk about how the original version is better it goes in a weird direction quick. However, that comment in the update post is the strangest I've seen, because why would anyone be against quality of life improvements? I'm utterly baffled by that comment and can't even come up with a reply to that it's so out of left field.

Speaking of voice actors, as far as this series goes I don't think I could ever go to Japanese, not that I think it would be bad, but a number of voice actors in cold steel really got me and I can't see them any other way. Especially a certain thief who stole my heart with how much fun he was having.

12. nivora

nivora Active Member

imagine being salty about pc wizard doing their utmost best to create a better version

13. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

The point they made makes me wonder, why do they give a pass for localization/translation but not menu upgrades, etc.? IF they want it "pure", they should learn Japanese! Their own argument crumbles beneath their feet. ;)

14. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Shame you're not dealing with rational arguments by this point.

15. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

That person clearly hasnt played the Chinese PC port of Zero yet, and will find out why the changes were made once he does. Sounds like an out of the loop fan spouting non-sense.

16. Trails of Persona

https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/...n-on-zero-imminent-release-is-all-but-azured/

Forgot to post this the other day but looking like we are around a month away from the translation finally being released. This team has put so much effort into this project and I greatly look forward playing Zero for the first time. I know some of the story beats and know I am definitely going to be crying at certain moments quite a bit. Great news going into the new year and decade. Here's hoping Kiseki stays strong in getting the games in some form here in the west.

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  17. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Me: "I just played seven Kiseki games over the course of a year, I probably won't play one in 2020 unless CSIV comes out in English."

Also Me: "Totes gonna replay Zero as soon as the Geofront patch is out, though."

18. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

I feel like the series has hit that tipping point where with the exception of third-party tie-ins like Akatsuki, it's becoming a question now of when a game will be localized rather than if it will be. CS4 is assured and now that there's a release of both Crossbell games on a platform that a company could localize without it being financial suicide to do so, they'll probably have an official release at some point in the future as well. This can also be applied fairly confidently to Falcom's games as a whole, at least going forwards. With the exceptions of Vantage Master Portable, Alternative Saga and Nayuta (and Ys IX, which is only a few months old) we've gotten some version of every game Falcom has released for the past fifteen years, largely thanks to XSEED. I don't see this trend changing any time soon.

Well, maybe unless Falcom did something insanely niche like, I dunno, remaking Joshidaisei Private or doing a visual novel with a script the size of an encyclopedia that's all about exploring the economic ramifications of Romn's expansion into Celceta... ;)

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  19. Trails of Persona

Kill Scott Kill put out a video talking about the background of Zero, from why localization was skipped and the history behind the fan translation. Never knew much about how the fan translation started and a lot of the so it was neat information to learn. Also, hearing some names mentioned gives me more respect to certain users on this site. I knew some of them were big names in the community but since I'm still new to the community and stay mostly here I didn't know everything. While I'm really excited to play I hope the team takes as long as they need to make sure the final touches are squared away. Thanks again to everyone involved and I look forward to getting to know Crossbell.

20. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Active Member

Floofy at the moment with all the recent mysterious shenanigans on the Geofront site. (skip to 34:11 if the the timecode doesn't work)