Trails to Zero localization?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by KamikazeK-, May 31, 2017.

1. KamikazeK-

KamikazeK- Member

All right, so I get that nobody from Xseed going to come in here and say "Yeah, we're totally doing it, man!" Obviously, if Xseed is going to bring this game over then they're going to say so when they're ready, but I didn't see a thread here for this game, so I figured I'd make one for people who either want the game to get done or who want to talk about the chances of it getting done.

What do y'all think? The Trails in the Sky games didn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of sales (FC being the obvious exception), but I could see a scenario where they might have been relatively profitable assuming the costs weren't too high. With that said, if Trails is bringing in profit, then the next logical step forward would be bringing over Zero.

2. Moxx

Moxx Member

If Zero and Ao had PC versions Xseed could localise, I'd say they were pretty sure things to eventually make it over. Problem with bringing these games over isn't really that a PC version doesn't exist, but that a PC version would take more resources than just the localisation team to create. It's ultimately a question of if Xseed has both the desire, and ability with their current resources to properly budget the project and if it's worth the opportunity cost.

It's also worth noting that while SC didn't light the world on fire with its sales, they're not terrible by any means. It's also probably a question of if the long term revenue flow that this series tends to get is a sustainable model for Xseed in the short term giving that Trails games take a long time to complete, and take longer to see a return on investment.

TL;DR: Who knows? With E3 coming up, and a possible CS III localisation announcement, maybe they'll say something then.

3. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Also when you've got a series which is heavily continuity-based, your sequel is going to have fewer sales, as it requires having completed the first. So there's going to be a drop-off no matter what you do.

4. Moxx

Moxx Member

Which is also an upside to doing Zero, it's another entry point like FC and CS I and doesn't require knowledge of the previous games.

5. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Brittany has said she really wants to do it but it comes down to sales for the other games for them to get greenlit. All things considered they will probably be more costly to bring over than SC and 3rd (tons of text - maybe more than SC depending on who you ask, more development and/or licensing costs since they would be dealing with ports, etc), and they are most similar to the Sky trilogy. So those games will probably have a larger influence than the more modern and eye-catching Cold Steel games. Maybe if Cold Steel blows away expectations and sells 500k+ between the two games they might justify it, but let's be real here.

Getting this out of the way early, we have no idea what the licensing situation looks like for ANY of the existing PC versions of Zero and Ao. Including the Japanese port of Zero. Far too often it gets assumed that "it's Japanese, that means XSEED can just license it from Falcom," but we don't know that. It's still Joyoland's port and depending on the contracts between the two companies XSEED may have to license the game from Falcom and the port from Joyoland. That could be good (XSEED could also license their Ao port without Falcom needing to do anything, and XSEED could just fix it up some/remove the DRM) or bad (XSEED can't get either game).

There is also the possibility XSEED contracts their own ports. It may prove to be cheaper or easier than working with Joyoland, and it would give them more control over how they turn out.

A couple more possibilities that are further out there are remasters or even remakes from Falcom. I've seen a few people speculate they might go one of those routes due to the importance of Crossbell to Sen 3. Either porting the games to PS4 with some enhancements sort of like the Sky trilogy HD ports on PS3, or outright remaking them since they apparently will already have a lot of the assets for the game made by the time they are done with CS3 anyway. If they do either of these that opens some new doors for XSEED (unless Sony are butts again), since they could pick up the newer versions and contract PC ports for them. Wouldn't get your hopes up for these, especially not for full remakes.

I've seen some people mention it's more reliant on the prior games than Cold Steel 1 is, but then again it was also said time and time again that starting with Cold Steel 1 was awful and impossible, which turned out wrong.

6. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

I don't have much to say on this topic (It's been discussed a fair bit in the past already), but I will say that I know quite a few people just in my circle of friends that would purchase this product.

7. Cid

Cid New Member

In my opinion, it's a tough one for two main reasons:
    - at the moment they don't have access to Ao (Falcom either needs to backport the Joyoland version or XSeed port it themselves from Falcom's PSP version)
    - potential sales are limited (yes it's a 'jumping in' point, but as an older-looking title, it probably has less appeal than sen/cold steel)
    It will almost certainly be more difficult for XSeed to port Zero/Ao than sen/cold steel because of the engine used. Cold steel has already been translated, whereas Zero/Ao combined would also need a translation effort exceeding (ha) that required for SC. Sen/cold steel is also more likely to achieve higher sales and appeal to a wider audience. Being conservative, I would assume sales of Zero/Ao to be 40k/20k and CS1/CS2 to be 80k/20k, they will also be able to price the cold steel games higher ($40 vs $30).

TL;DR - XSeed probably want to do it, but can't financially justify it yet. If Cold Steel sell well on steam, they'll likely be more willing to take the risk in order to close out the series.

8. Lisa Eves

Lisa Eves Member

trails in the chest cliffhanger crossbell confirmed

9. nivora

nivora Active Member

there's also the fan translation that is worked on steadily with quality assistance and leadership by long term fans that know more about the series than most people

10. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Holding my tongue because too much talk gets me too excited, but hoping it happens. Would hate to go into Cold Steel games before this duology.

11. Ringwraith

I would recommend not being too bothered by that.
    These games will spoil plot points of Cold Steel if you play them first, and the reverse will happen less, mostly because no-one has any clue what's happening in Crossbell other than "weird stuff" and that's not their problem right now.

12. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

I think my biggest thing is order. I'd rather take the medium as it was intended, per se. I know that's not always an option, but it's a preference. Even if it doesn't matter. That said, if no news, I'll probably just jump into Cold Steel 1&2.

13. Ringwraith

From the way they've laid it out, oddly, Crossbell very much comes off as spoiling more than the other way around.
    Not normally how these things go, but there you have it.

14. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

Chaosblade has pretty much summarized everything important. The only thing I would add is that besides the idea of profit/in the red, the most important part is the opportunity cost. At this point Trails has enough fans that a Zero/Ao release would most likely turn a profit, but such a commitment would likely take the effort of 3 normal-sized games with the profits of a single one for each (and even more bad for Ao, given that sequels always fare worst). XSEED can't likely justify this unless the situation changes. In hindsight, the 3rd was likely, because it's a less problematic game, smaller and already licensed, not to mention with this XSEED finally finishes the Sky arc and gets the moral obligation out (and protects their brand of 'cool small localizers who do it for love').

15. soundersfan84

soundersfan84 Member

There are pc version of zero/ao. The issue is only zero has a japanese pc version and not Ao

16. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

As much as I appreciate and understand that the names given in the fan translation include some dedicated and knowledgeable people, I just know from personal experience to not count on fan translations ever. I mean yeah they do finish like 1/4 of the time, but 3/4 they do not. So while I'm not saying they are not qualified or whatever to do th e job, I'm just unwilling to get my hopes up for a fan translation simply because doing so leads to disappointment more often than not as a principle. Kinda like whenever I see a release date for a game that's half a year in advance or more, I expect a delay, if not more than one.

17. Ringwraith

The problem is the aforementioned rights to them.
    They were both originally done by a Chinese company, and Falcom re-licensed the first one back for their use.

18. soundersfan84

soundersfan84 Member

I don't think getting rights to do crossbell isn't going to be difficult. Its the fact they are very very large texted games. This won't be cheap for Xseed to do.

19. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

It's probably a combination of things and it all boils down to sales. With enough sales they can overcome the time commitment for the text and the licensing needed to have a version of the game to release. But if the games are only selling 50k copies combined, it's basically impossible to justify over working on multiple different games that will be a lot more profitable.

20. Ringwraith

That was specifically the existing PC ports someone mentioned, aye.
    Arranging their own isn't impossible, but then that's yet another mounting cost.