Trails of Cold Steel III

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Fellsmith, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Shed

Shed Member

Yes I'm aware you're on the project, that was less directed towards you and moreso setting up the context for my point to anyone reading my reply. Which, again, my point still stands that with the whole situation being confusing to anyone not following it with relative closeness could easily assume it was a machine translation, especially with other actual machine translations (like Ao and Nayuta) running amok. Like, obviously that person should've done more research before posting on it (and they were fairly quickly corrected too), but the confusion is understandable. Hell, I prolly couldn't have confidently summarized what was going on with everything until the Geofront site (thank you for that by the way!) started getting more regular updates :D

2. ZeRakun

ZeRakun Member

Yes, I have been!
    Having a little fun with them tonight before going to sleep. Jessica is on fire today :D.

3. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

4. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

So your saying Digital Copies aren't meaningful now ? huh okay ?

5. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

They also probably mixed it up with that one translation someone did as a machine translation on purpose, but it wasn't intended to be anything but. So technically a machine translation of the script does exist.

6. tilinelson2

On average they are 10-15% of physical sales in Japan for PS4. Did you know that? Or do you only talk like that, without knowing?

7. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

I wonder if I appear anywhere as obstinate when discussing realism in CS. Or if I still hold the crown for the most stubborn personage here.

8. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Huh you do know the digital Market has been growing right ?

9. tilinelson2

Yes, during PS3 days it was 3-8%, Vita 8-12, now 10-15%. What are you arguing?

10. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I think falcom knows what is good for falcom best. Given they already made a statement themselves, i dont see why this is such a big deal.

That said im only posting to lol at neoGAF... Lol.

nivora and Omage_X like this.
  11. DrawnofSpade

DrawnofSpade New Member

Hmmm... the topic is back to sales again, and not really about trails game. Though you guys know that from Ys 8 and on the founder will have less and less involvement with any of the game development in Nihon Falcom? In fact Ys 8 the founder especially had no involvement what so ever. So maybe future trail games will have some changes.....?
    Honestly i like trails games very much though i can't believe that the whole trail series happened because of moonlight witch, didn't think one small design decision to have the first game ever with fully named npcs to have a company development direction impact.
    On another note i'm glad it was Kondo who took over Falcom's mantle one way or another, the decision to purposely keep the company a small and lean one is really a shokunin style of business development that's dying even in one of the most prestigious field in Japan, food. Lucky to have a majority board that supports that decision as well since he's had the mantle for 10 years now, since the decision to enter western market saved the company as its stock was dead in the water till they did in 2012.
    Welp this means that XSEED will have a future with Falcom, as currently starting from 2016 alot of Nippon's game companies are trying to cut out the middleman and just do western release development themselves.

12. Marukoban

Marukoban Member

I assumed everyone here can see that the physical sales is down by about 40% (170k to 100k).
    Even accounting for increase in digital, it couldn't be further from that number, maybe a drop of 30% and that is probably already very generous.
    I also really doubt Falcom is satisfied with that number. No company in the world is ok with revenue going down.

I'm seriously concerned what Falcom can do now. They obviously don't have much choice here.
    PS market in Japan is going to continue contracting going by trend, so they either have to expand overseas or make their game multiplatform.
    They seem to not have enough resources to port to other platform. Also, PC market is very small in Japan and it is not certain if Switch has their audience.
    Does PS3 and PS Vita has similar architecture? Otherwise there's no reason they shouldn't release their games multiplatform if they could do multiplatform release before.
    At the same time, overseas audience basically means East Asia countries, which has high population but small install base of any paid platform. Western release sales is small portion of their total sales.
    Maybe they will move to mobile?

13. tilinelson2

The problem with mobile is that usually games that do well on mobile are very different from games Falcom develops and publishes.

I don't know what they will do afterwards, but it is kinda sad to see some strong decline after all the effort to make the series grow. Changing platforms in the middle of a series arc is strange.

I am afraid that the reduction of options will end hurting niche RPG series. Signs are already showing that some audience will not migrate e from handhelds.

People say some silly things about financial predictions, but less profit means less games, less experiments, less variety.

14. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

15. Marukoban

Marukoban Member

I think it is kinda expected as console audience is becoming subset of handheld audience now in Japan, i.e. people who play console most likely also play handheld but not the other way around.
    This is similar case in other Asian countries where people live in very small apartment due to heavily concentrated population in big cities. PC gaming tends to be the most popular option.
    You are not going to bother with 4k TV here since living room is so small there is no point having big TV.
    In fact, most younger people nowadays don't even watch TV in Asia.
    I'm seriously concerned about possible decline of sales in China/TW/HK as well, which is Falcom's second biggest market after Japan.

Your link says nothing whether Falcom is satisfied with the sales, which I should safely say they should not since it affects their bottom line.
    In short term obviously this is not going to be a problem, but if it continues I don't know any company in the same situation who just do nothing and be happy about it.

16. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Except Falcom as a company is projecting higher profit for the 2017 fiscal year than the 2016? And not by a small amount either, it's something like a 47% increase. They recently had to revise upward their projections, which was already projecting a 30% increase from 2016. They're certainly not losing money, and they're certainly not making less money.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    nivora and Omage_X like this.
  17. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

18. Marukoban

Marukoban Member

I'd be more worried (extremely worried) if Falcom doesn't project higher profit this year.
    Last year their only release was Ys 8 Vita and Tokyo Xanadu eX+.
    This year has Ys 8 PS4 and Sen No Kiseki 3.
    Sen No Kiseki 3 > Ys 8 and Ys 8 Re-release > TX Re-release.
    I haven't included Western release of Ys 8, TX, Sora 3rd and Cold Steel this year vs Cold Steel 2 PS3/PSV last year.

19. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Umm, and? I mean, are you venting as an act of catharsis? Cause any debate that occurs on this forum means literally nothing to Falcom itself, unless all of you people who think they're not doing a good job go and buy up enough stock to get into the shareholder meetings and can convince enough of the other shareholders to insist on a change of direction. Falcom has chosen a strategy and they are executing it as we speak. Of the games that they've produced with that strategy, I've personally bought about ten of them thus far and I'm on schedule to buy at least two more. Beyond that, that's the limit of my personal impact on Falcom beyond prodding a few friends of mine to give their games a try. The other poster we all know is complaining because he (or she) wants portable versions of the newer games and so is trying to pull a backhand criticism of Falcom's decision to end Vita support by trying to call into question their entire business strategy. It's not clear why you feel so invested in questioning Falcom's viability.

20. tilinelson2

What about the last year a Kiseki game was released? People want to make analysis without context. In 2013 there was only Sen and the revenue was higher than 2017 forecast. In 2014 only Sen II and the tail of Sen I, and revenue was 40% higher.