Trails of Cold Steel III

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Fellsmith, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

XSEED and Falcom's relation has been pretty close, but in the end they are 2 different companies, so XSEED is not always going to translate everything Falcom and at the same time Falcom is not going to wait for XSEED eternally. While I don't know if their relation has changed lately, it seems like it could be loosely defined as "first dibs": when Falcom wants to localize something they always first offer it to XSEED, and only if they reject then they offer it to other companies (when it's the localizer that asks, then Falcom also probably asks XSEED if they wanted it, but if XSEED didn't ask for it first then it's pretty likely it's not on their radar).

What happened with Tokyo Xanadu seems like a combination of XSEED having it's platter very full (when the deal was announce Cold Steel II still wasn't released, and even now the 3rd is still in work and XSEED is working on a lot of other games) and Falcom wanting it to release it before the VITA is completely dead. Honestly, I doubt XSEED would let go of Cold Steel III, and Aksys localizations aren't half as polished most of the time (they however did get the Japanese voice-overs).

nivora and Omage_X like this.
  2. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It's known by reputation because Trails games are very good at hiding secrets in plain sight, so they don't feel like they come out of nowhere but also incredibly hard to figure out ahead of the time you're supposed to.
    So they like muddying the waters pre-release as well to keep things murky.

Omage_X likes this.
  3. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

So the PS4 version of Ys VIII includes two artbooks as preorder goodies. The first contains production art for the game itself while the second is a sneak peek at Cold Steel III bearing the subtitle 'Erebonian Empire 1206'. We've got part of a page on Tonfa Girl, enough to see that her first name ends in -na and her last name ends in -ford (not Reinford, it's spelt differently) and that her concept art originally gave her brown hair. Much more interestingly, there's half a page of Barkhorn artwork which shows him in uniform. The fact that one of the first things they showed us is him makes me very happy.

You'd think the fact that XSEED generally dominating the Falcom localization scene and then not doing this particular game would indicate to this person that just because Company X does one game, it doesn't guarantee that they'll do any other game.

That said, since Tokyo Xanadu is a completely standalone property (well, technically but we'll leave some shared terminology and Towa out of this) it's the sort of project that you could hand off to a completely different localization company and not have to worry about the result. Handing the newest entry in an eight game franchise to a company that's never handled it before when you already have a company that's done five entries in that series is a completely different matter. I'm pretty sure that XSEED has first priority when it comes to anything in the Ys and Trails franchises.

Marx-93 and Omage_X like this.
  4. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Member

If Barkhorn doesn't open up about a certain sodium-related incident, I'm going to scream. Hopefully he's like Millium and has loose lips when it comes to super secret intel (who am I kidding).

5. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Yup all of you are absolutely correct and it wouldn't make much sense to give your final game of an arc in a ongoing story to somebody else, plus people have told me a lot of bad things with Aksys when it came to a game called Blue blaze I think ? from what I understand nobody really likes them anymore
    ( don't know the reasons tho)

6. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Wait, is that people complaining about BlazBlue's dub, or the latest BlazBlue's lack of a dub? It better be the latter, because BlazBlue's dub is a glorious, flawed, over-the-top GEM!

7. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Lack of People really love it ( I never played the games so I have no opinion)

8. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING. REBEL ONE, ACTION!

9. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

They dropped the voice actors like a hot rock, finding out when everyone else did.
    Regardless of the reasons for not deciding to dub the latest game (so they could get as quick a release as possible), that kind of stuff isn't on.
    Not to mention with proper planning, you can them done simultaneously, like Guilty Gear Xrd, where a launch-day patch for the Japanese release included all the English stuff.

10. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

By the way, was I the only one who was instantly reminded of Principal Vandyck with that artwork? Before I saw the posts I actually though it was him on the church uniform. Not only the face, even what little we see of their body's build is similar. This being Kiseki I actually wouldn't discard bothy of them being related through some weird way (and it could even explain how could Thomas actually get a position in Thors without too much hassle). It would also turn Sara's comment about his strength being "beyond human" in a completely new direction...

EDIT: I can't even understand if I'm actually being serious or not. Is this the famed "kiseki on crack" state...?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  11. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Yes, welcome to the Crack Collective. Resistance is futile, you will become one of us. xD

nivora likes this.
  12. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

This brings up the question of if we are using new characters are any of them Awakeners or will they just be regular soldat pilots ? since falcom confirmed they wanted divine knight battles to be more regular battles now, could we see them doing what Xenogears did ? ( using mechs to move around in the map ?)

13. nivora

nivora Active Member

Literally my first thought seeing that image: "Oh, seems Vandyck is going to fight"
    I really did not expect them to show Barckhorn that quick and in similar outfit as Kevin.

14. natchu96

natchu96 New Member

*looks at tonfas more closely

. . . is it just me or does the front end almost look like it's a gun hybrid?

15. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Could be similar to Fie's gun blades, that wouldn't surprise me.

16. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

I will not be surprised if those tonfas are revealed to carry some sort of extra equipment.
    I think that if any of the new characters turn out to be pilots it's more likely they'd be operating Soldats. We've only got three Divine Knights that are likely to be 'free' for new pilots* and my guess is that they'll go to NPCs or to already-significant characters. Hell, they teased us with Laura the Awakener in CS2 promo material so if anyone is fast-tracked for pilot status it's her.

That said I will definitely not object to generic Panzer Soldats for characters, especially given the huge amount of equipment variation we've been teased with just in the existing designs, much less whatever else they might have come up with in a year.

I don't think we're going to see someone new take up Ordine, Testa-Rossa is locked down to the Arnor family and the 'Lohengrin Knight' has an Awakener already so that leaves the two complete unknowns and the 'Palatinate Knight'.

Omage_X likes this.
  17. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

I agree with you :) and they did say the wanted to add mecha into more regular battles, I hope if that mean no more 3 turns Valimar, I can understand doing that with Rean's power but I feel with a mechs you don't need to do that, which brings up something I always wondered if they wanted the characters from Trails of zero to pilot Aion's but because of the PSPs hardware they couldn't makes me wonder if they had divine knights planned from the very beginning ?

18. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Plotwise I'm absolutely certain there was never any intention of making Aions controllable by the player in Ao. The games have had mechanisms in place to allow for playable mecha since The 3rd, as you'll see pretty soon.

As for planning Divine Knights, I think it's safe to assume that they've had some ideas developing for a long time. Kondo confirmed in an interview that they were planning Crow's character arc back when they were working on FC so even if they hadn't decided on the specifics yet and hadn't sketched out Ordine or Valimar, they probably had some idea that by the time they got to Erebonia they wanted mecha to become a larger part of the series.

Also, mecha have been an element since the first game and the second game showed us several kinds that could be directly controlled by a human, along with comments to the effect that large machines have been seen in other countries. Throw in the certainty that the Divine Knights are related to a Sept-Terrion and how they're such a critical part of the series that Falcom has to have planned out the roles all of them are to play in advance and it seems quite likely that even if the specific details of the Divine Knights weren't planned from the start, Falcom always intended for something like them to be introduced to the series when the time was right.

Omage_X likes this.
  19. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

True and I wonder now if we will see the other two Unknown Divine knights in cold steel III or in another story Arc since I don't think cold steel III has enough time to explain the great power that was talked about in the last two games.

20. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Given that the end of CS2 gave us a specific number, I'm pretty sure they intend to do something with it immediately and it really shouldn't be that hard to explain the Great Power given that we already have a pretty good idea what it is. Plenty of time in one game to introduce the remaining Knights as long as they give some of them to already-developed PCs or to NPCs and thus don't require us to go through multiple trials or spend lots of time developing multiple new characters as proto-Awakeners.

The Great Power is all but stated to be what's left of one or two Sept-Terrion that got into a mutual kill situtation 1200 years ago. With two treasures in Erebonia there should be two sacred beasts hanging around keeping an eye on things. It won't be at all hard for one of them to explain things to the protagonists at the appropriate point itn the story, leaving most of the screentime for other things. And presumably the Hexen know more about this than they've told Emma so she could be our channel for that information as well, after getting the full explanation from her clan.