Trails of Cold Steel III

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Fellsmith, Dec 31, 2016.

1. nivora

nivora Active Member

i already have said plenty about my opinion of NISA on several occasions and on different outlets but i seriously am curious how this would go down with the expectation of an internet war. People where pissed about ys8 and the quality leading to the Falcom campaign? I bet a group of people would not even wait until release before sending mails and threats.

you would be saying goodbye to Sean doing Rean though

2. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

Huh... I honestly didn't know several of the VAs of English Kiseki stated that they don't want to work with NISA. That honestly says a lot. Although, do you guys have any source of them saying such?

3. ZeRakun

ZeRakun Member

Yes I read that left and write, so it may be so. Whatever the cause the end result was not good. Now the question is whether bad writing (be it in loc or from the base material) has an effect on sales.

Unfortunately I started with Birthright and couldn't be bothered to finish the game nor start Conquest.

4. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

But he was also Hummel in YS VIII

at any case Kondo's interview hints at more partners.

5. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

The document appears to be gone but it was linked back on GAF (while it was still alive) from the Falcom discord, apparently posted by Sean himself.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ys-v...hed-in-november.1445870/page-6#post-251785862

6. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Yeah, some of the localisation was pretty good, apart from many questionable decisions, but the source material wasn't very good to begin with, so it's hard to really make that work.
    Echoes was indeed wonderfully localised, though it was a different set of people doing that (the same ones who did Awakening I believe).

7. nivora

nivora Active Member

i can do some digging tomorrow as i am about to go to bed :p but i'm certain that Sean at least said he would not resume his role as Rean if nisa would localise sen3 (granted they would even approach him lol).
    it's funny it took a few month of GAF being dead for them finally to update the how dated the site looks

8. Zerkion

Zerkion Member

That's pretty relatable. I spent about 4 years on and off writing the Arc Rise Fantasia Game Script on GameFAQs. And while it did get a little bit of praise, I didn't really write it with the assumption that a lot of people would read it. I just enjoy making things like that, and the project had gotten so big that I wanted to complete it to prove to myself that I could.

Writing game scripts and stuff is actually part of the reason why I became interested in video game localization.

9. Tsuiokuhen2

Tsuiokuhen2 Member

As far as I know, Sean's the only VA who uses the discord, and he has said at least once since then that it was a moment of his own immaturity, a heat of the moment thing. He recently dropped by 4chan and clarified a few things, including that the "final" letter was reworked to focus solely on their appreciation towards XSEED after he presented it to his peers, and that he's still uncertain about his decision on voicing Rean if NISA acquired Sen 3. It doesn't sound like an easy decision for him, since he feels that Hatsuu played a huge role in his performance as Rean. I'm not aware of any comments from other CS VAs, so I would assume they're also being professional about this.

10. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

If its any if it's any consolation he did come back for the recording of YS VIII.

11. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

They had signed the letter, that's all I know. There were 5-7 names on it IIRC.

12. Tsuiokuhen2

Tsuiokuhen2 Member

I think he only hesitated with that one because he wasn't sure if he could replicate Hummel's voice with a healthy throat.

But yeah, the takeaway is that currently, there's no VA saying they won't come back for Sen 3 if XSEED didn't localize it.

13. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

I really hope XSEED gets it I dont wana play a "all your base are belong to us" kiseki translation

14. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

One thing nice that came from that interview Kondo pretty much confirmed 2019 is when we are getting CSIII like @Gu4n said.

15. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

It only says that they will focus on releases outside Japan, not much more. Release date would depend mostly on the partner; while 2019 is likely I wouldn't discard early 2020 if there are complications of some kind.

Honestly, I'm not so sure that NISA would want to take on the Kiseki series, especially with Sen III. They're desperate for more partners, and having Falcom would mean they would have a modicum of games to release, but at the same time Sen III is massive at all levels, easily the largest project NISA has ever taken, and they would have to do that without a library of terms, NPCs. Not to say constant fan pushback: the fact that Ys localization problems reached Japan was a humiliation for NISA, and surely damaged a bit of their relation with Falcom (even if Kondo is being the perfect Japanese businessman and saying he doesn't mind). Sen III is a project that would have 'problems' written all over it, and a second failure in a row may as well completely sever their relationship with Falcom. It probably would be much more prudent to port the CS PS4 ports to Switch and wait for the Calvard Arc before taking it over.

(On a tangent, about Fire Emblem Fates: as a 10+ years fan of the franchise I can say the fan consensus is that Fates has the worst story in all the franchise, and that contains 15 games....)

Omage_X likes this.
  16. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

At this point I doubt NISA will even get the games now that we know CSIII is much later ( 2019 or 2020 like you said) looks like NISA announcement for next month won't even have CSIII because what Kondo said, but if we really want XSeed to do these games then @Wyrdwad and the others have to work out a deal with marvelous so that they can port those games on the switch because at this moment one of Kondo's goal like the interview said is to port their games in other systems so that they can increase brand awareness which is why they are looking for partners who can help them with that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  17. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

This is what I do keep saying about Cold Steel III, you're not going to expect more sales than the previous game, which already has fewer sales than the first, and it's a big game.
    As such, there's few reasons to pick it up, from the cynical business perspective.

18. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad XSEED admin

Dunno why you keep tagging me! I have virtually nothing to do with the Kiseki games at XSEED. I don't even really like them all that much, personally. ;)

(I know you're actually tagging me because you want me to pass your thoughts on the series along to the rest of the team, but trust me: they already know! There aren't a whole lot of Kiseki-related ideas that HAVEN'T been run by them at this point, and several members of the XSEED staff are really passionate about the series, so you can rest assured we're doing everything we can to follow up on every possible lead. Whether or not we succeed, only time will tell, but please do trust that we're doing our best! Or, well... other members of the XSEED team are doing their best, anyway. I'm not doing diddly. Heheh.)

-Tom

Omage_X likes this.
  19. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

XSEED has juts started to port to PC and they have no console programmer (I don't think they even have the dev kits). Asking them to do Switch ports is kinda meaningless IMO. Falcom wanting more ports doesn't mean 'everything has to have ports from now on!', but rather 'if we can have it on more consoles better'. It won't be a dealbreaker.

Not to mention that unlike YS VIII or CSI & II (who were based on the Vita version), Sen III was made fully thinking on the PS4. Nothing it does is super-impressive, but even then it will take a lot to fit in the Switch as it was made to run in a more powerful machine.

20. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

There's a devil in the midst of XSeed, Father Kevin has been dispatched to take care of the heretic. I guess the setting, story, or characters just never really hooked you?

I'm just as anxious about all of this as everyone else, but at this point it's best to just wait and see instead of worrying over every little thing that is said to try and decipher a meaning from it. Besides, there's the Zero fan translation coming out this year, so that's something Kiseki related to look forward to. All things considered, at least this isn't like Facebook/Twitter where every new post has a barrage of comments with when is CSIII, Zero or Ao.