Trails of Cold Steel III

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Fellsmith, Dec 31, 2016.

1. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Hmm? Ys VIII is also the PhyreEngine as far as we know.

2. Gu4n

Gu4n Member

Ys VIII runs on Falcom's own engine, originally developed for Ys SEVEN.

3. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

ah right thanks, that also makes me wonder even tho its a port if it dose well do you think it might have a positive effect on future games their developing on ?

4. Gu4n

Gu4n Member

I don't think the Switch port will have any effect on Falcom's own development.

If it does well, however, they might nudge the third-party companies that license their franchises toward Switch ports.

Omage_X likes this.
  5. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

omg the idea of playing trails in the sky or any other kiseki game on the switch just gave me goosebumps. :D

6. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Then someone might want to correct wikipedia, since it lists Ys VIII as using the PhyreEngine. I'm trying to assume that wasn't just pulled out of thin air by whoever made that addition. For a company of Falcom's size I'm not necessarily convinced they'd have the resources to maintain multiple engines like that. I could certainly see them customizing the PhyreEngine on an as-needed basis for each of their games, but to maintain a completely in-house engine is a non-trivial investment of resources. Granted when Ys VIII finally drops on PC, interested parties should be able to trivially crack open its assets and whatnot and be able to tell definitively if it's PhyreEngine based or not. Assuming NISA doesn't do something inane like wrap it around Denuvo or something.

7. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Speaking of that looks like YSVIII isn't the only falcom game coming ?

ファルコムさんとの共同プロジェクトを発表出来て、非常にうれしく思っております。イースファンはもちろん、ファルコムさんのファン、任天堂さんのファン、すべての方のために、「イースVIII」だけではなく、是非他のタイトルも展開していきたいと思っております。

http://nippon1.jp/news/new_title_interview/

8. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

That last bit translates to "wants to," it doesn't indicate definitive plans. The older games especially would constitute outright rewrites to get them to support the Switch.

Omage_X likes this.
  9. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

That is true but didn't something like this happen when they were talking about CS I and II on the ps4 ?

10. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

It's all about relative expectations. The CS games were noted to be on the PhyreEngine, so a port to the PS4 wasn't really a question of if but more when, especially as the PS3 neared the end of its lifecycle and the Erebonian arc still wasn't done. The caution that some people like me urged was more to deter people from basing purchasing decisions that would impact the sales of XSEED's localizations, since if people decided to wait in the hope that they'd get localized PS4 versions, they're hurting the immediate sales that could then negatively impact Kiseki's overall chances in the western markets. The older games that aren't PhyreEngine based however would constitute almost complete rewrites, especially if Falcom didn't properly separate the platform specific bits from the overall game logic. That's a much more expensive proposition, with the cost-benefit analysis shifting considerably. There would need to be a much bigger projected payoff for a company to be willing to sink the necessary money into it, and for older games that's always a less than certain thing for lesser known franchises. And let's not kid ourselves, Falcom is still not a big player in the western markets, so their properties are proportionally considered riskier ventures.

Omage_X likes this.
  11. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

@zwabbit I don't disagree and you make a point about the older titles but I wonder if Kondo was talking about CSIII when he said "wants to bring their games on the switch"

Edit I think I know why this happening the switch pretty much saved Japan Console gaming so now Falcom is jumping on the switch bus which makes sense from a business point of view.

Tho I do want to know what @Gu4n and @omgfloofy take on this is since they know japanese way better then I do XD

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. Gu4n

Gu4n Member

Souhei Niikawa, president of Nippon Ichi, says that he would not only like to work on Ys VIII, but also on other Falcom titles. Further down the line in the interview, Kondo says that he would like fans to play their titles without having to choose a specific platform.

Keep in mind that what's happening here is blown massively out of proportion by Falcom/Switch fans. It's nothing but a business transaction where one company licenses their intellectual property to another company. This happens all the time. This is how Falcom makes extra money. It would only be special if Falcom were to suddenly start developing for Switch themselves or if they would let NIS develop a brand-new Ys game, like they've done with Ys IV.

Naesaki, PasokonDeacon and Omage_X like this.
  13. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

so in other words games that are already done like YS VIII and CSIII would come to the switch while new games by falcom would still come like they always do ? sounds like XSeed can still get theses game even if they are on the switch :D

14. Gu4n

Gu4n Member

If I understood correctly, then yes: Falcom keeps developing and publishing one or two new games per year and third-party publishers, like XSEED, NIS/A and Aksys, may buy the license to do whatever they want to do with it.

Thanks to Ys Origin, we know that it's even (hypothetically) possible that XSEED localises Trails of Cold Steel III for PS4 and NIS/A ports and localises that same game using XSEED's script to Switch.

Naesaki and Omage_X like this.
  15. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Holy crap in theory this could actually work out.

Edit @Gu4n looks like the people in resetera are jumping to conclusion I think you might have to clear some of the air over there

https://www.resetera.com/threads/kiseki-trails-community-ot-familiar-faces-zemurian-places—spoilertags-or-die.1084/page-26

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  16. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

If your hypothesis is correct Guan, then that's the best solution for Falcom games: Have XSEED work on getting the first versions of the games and then at some point, other 3rd parties could work on porting the same game to other systems while utilizing XSEED's script. This would also decrease all of the negativity that's been going on since NISA picked up Ys VIII cause to be frank, it's getting annoying and exhausting seeing the same type of complaints over and over again.

Basically, XSEED work on the localization while everyone else work on porting. More money for Falcom in a long run.

Omage_X likes this.
  17. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

18. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Given that NISA's looking for a lot of new work with Spike Chunsoft starting their own loc branch, it's safe to assume NISA wants all possible Falcom projects they can get their hands on. I think XSEED should have a similar focus at this point, or risk losing it all. What y'all are describing seems more like the end result of two mighty foes clashing against each other, vying for the same prize. All this will occur if, unless, and until Falcom starts their own branch.

19. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I cant imagine not loving estelle untik that late. That means the cliffhanger st the end of FC would be much less heartwrenching!

20. nivora

nivora Active Member

The moment i fell in love with Bestelle
    [​IMG]

Naesaki, flarecde and lail like this.