Trails of Cold Steel III

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Fellsmith, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Fellsmith

Fellsmith Member

Question for you guys, does Xseed get early code of Trails III so they begin work on the localization, or do they have to wait for the actual release in Japan before they can even get started on an English translation? I'm thinking (or hoping) for Xseed to be able to get some sort of a jump on the translation so we're not waiting another full year for a potential English version. Thanks!

2. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I don't think XSEED has ever gotten anything from Falcom before a Japanese release.

3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I have absolutely no knowledge of any kind of contradiction to this comment, but given Ys8 is supposed to be localized during 2017, and it not even being done yet in Japan on the ps4, and people theorizing the localization is ps4 only... I can't help but think your answer is 'correct...but maybeee....' rather than just plain correct.

That said I kinda doubt this is the case for CS3.

4. Shed

Shed Member

Falcom has traditionally played their cards very close to their chest, so it's very likely they'll continue to do that and not let anyone see their scripts or anything before release.

Now, that's not to say this is 100% confirmed to not happen, but there's nothing really suggesting that it will and history still suggests that it won't.

The only reasoning that one could put forth for Falcom actually giving scripts out before release is their growing western presence. But again, no precedent so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

5. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

You're completely right (and I hope for something similar), but in this case Falcom would have no problem giving out the scripts of the PSP vita, which will likely still coincide 99% with the ones of the PS4. And Ys 8 it's a monster of an Ys game... but I think it's still under the Japanese million characters, which lately somehow seems to have started meaning "small" for XSEED...

6. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I otherwise would agree completely, but why in heaven's name would Falcom announce an aggressively soon localization date when they haven't even completed their own release yet unless they were already 'doing stuff' in that regard.... Not that I expect said date to be accurate. No offense to Falcom or Xseed... I kinda have skeptical of all game release predictions these days. they get delayed so freakin' often I really do expect it (without complaint I mean). At least with the games I personally care about.

7. englishkniggit

englishkniggit Member

Remember there IS a version of the game that's already finished and released, the Vita version. Until we get an official announcement from Xseed we have no way of knowing what Kondo was referring to.

I think we're in for a long painful wait for CS3 in English. Late 2018 is probably the very earliest we can hope for. Upside to that is of course that there's still time for a translation of the Crossbell games to be made available. Official or otherwise.

8. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Crossbell is more circumstantial if I recall, although if the Sky games continue to do well, might have those eventually catch up with their PC releases.

9. soundersfan84

soundersfan84 Member

Vita version of crossbell is extremely difficult for xseed given the licenses they have to get and the company that developer it is really hard to work with.

10. Ringwraith

Same situation as the Vita remasters of Sky, it's tied with other people, which makes it much harder.
    Plus it would be restricted to the Vita and that's likely a far smaller marketplace than PC for the series at the moment, especially as it's had previous ones put on PC, so then jumping to Vita-exclusive would be a bad idea (hello Valkyria Chronicles).
    Also don't the fancier ports also have buckets more voice acting? They do for Sky anyway, and that would make it much more expensive too.

11. Shed

Shed Member

I think there was a misunderstanding here, englishkniggit was referring to the Vita version of Ys 8 being complete. Which is something XSEED could totally be working on as we speak, and then work on the PS4 version with it's extra content (hopefully not too much more dialog or anything) to release soon after it comes out over there. As far as I can tell, there's nothing that says XSEED can't follow this release process. The only downside might be fans being annoyed that the inferior Vita port is coming out first, and thus might not sell well since people will want the more feature-rich PS4 version. But if they have the translation, and Falcom is able to insert it into the Vita version, it might still be worth it for the Vita's small fanbase.

As for Crossbell, we'll almost certainly get Zero over here before CS3, maybe not officially but certainly "otherwise". Azure is a tougher beast though.

12. englishkniggit

englishkniggit Member

I was.
    Personally I would be ok with waiting to release anything until both versions can be released. I'll most likely end up buying both of them for my collection but PS4 is the one I really want to play. That said, the Vita-version is excellent based on the 20 or so hours I spent with my Japanese copy.

13. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Member

Omage_X likes this.
  14. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

I'm confused is Rean still the MC ? ( still kinda new to how Trails news works )

15. Ringwraith

There's one previous instance of shifting mid-arc when the previous protagonist's story was done, but usually they keep with the same single lead throughout, as that particular instance is odd in of itself.
    Although Cold Steel is also the second one to get three games, as they had an arc of two, where this was never a thing.

He's still on the cover for things though, so Rean's still the lead.

Omage_X likes this.
  16. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

It was confirmed by Kondo in an interview that Rean is still the protagonist, though I would take that with a bit of salt, as Kondo has trolled the fandom more than once (in any case, it is sure he will be a major character).

Omage_X likes this.
  17. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

If that's what they were trying, they'd have spelt her name the same way. Reinford ends in フォルト while Tonfa Girl's last name ends in フォード.

18. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

Hmmm not sure how feel about a CEO who trolls his fans like that, we been pretty invested in Rean's story and having someone else be a lead when is story isn't done is not good in my opinion.

19. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Tonfa Girl is really cute. I want to find out more about her.

20. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

So I got into a heated argument with someone in another forum who said "Trails of cold Steel III might go to aksys because their doing Tokyo Xandu" and I'm going like what ? yeah there made by the same company but are two completely different games, with different contracts and terms.