Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Yep, I believe CS3 was also a PAX announcement, too. This about fits with what I've been expecting. Can't wait to see if we're getting it this next year - I love me some good prerelease hype!

2. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Well almost 2020 and with the looks of CS IV possibly on the horizon and over a month to let the game settle in my mind, I am going to put down my spoiler filled thoughts. Like the other games I will be interested to see how my thoughts change on a second playthrough in the future, though that may be a long ways away since I am starting to feel burnout on the Cold Steel games in particular. Need a change of scenery though with the Crossbell fan translation almost done that should help. So spoilers for the entire game here.

So first of all, thoughts on the new main cast. Not going to talk about old class VII since this game did nothing to change my opinions on them since their roles were pretty minimal, outside of one in comparison to others new characters.

Musse is definitely the one I wanted to like more, since I like the idea of flirty characters who are more upfront about what they want, but that got old very quickly and it just never got better. We see that she is intelligent and playing the long con, and with allies such as Aurelia and Vita she has some plan to take on Osborne, but that is such a small part of what we see. I did groan a little when at the end of the game we get the whole "everything went as she expected", because somehow with all the moving pieces that she could not know about she predicted everything.

Juna I'm conflicted on. I like her perspective being from Crossbell and she definitely had great moments especially in the Crossbell section. Her more positive side is a great addition to the class and her interactions with the rest of the class are pretty good. However, between her reveal in Crossbell about why she is bitter towards Rean and her very severe Tsundere tendencies towards Rean became very grating. So Rean saved you and your siblings and your reaction is to act cold towards him and then not work up the courage to thank him for that moment. Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me dawg. I gave Alisa a hard time but now I realize I gave her too much crap. Her few moments were few and far between where with Juna it felt constant and once again, never eased off. Overall, Juna made me appreciate Alisa more because it felt like there was an actual arc to her. I know Juna has another game but unlike with Alisa in CS I there isn't an arc I see for Juna to finish outside of her saying thanks for saving me and my siblings. Overall, I enjoy Juna's character for the good parts but there's a lot that erodes my good will.

Kurt I liked but I felt like his arc wasn't presented as well as it could've been. There is more to explore in CS IV with him seeing what Cedric has truly become and how much crap is going down now. Still, in this game it felt like there wasn't quite as much focus on his struggle to find his own place that I would've liked to have seen. This might be something that works better on a second playthrough as so much is happening I might concentrate a bit more on his individual scenes to see what happens.

Ash was a surprise, as early on he seemed like just a prick that wanted to pick fights, but once you get to chapter 3 he quickly becomes a lot more fleshed out. They still could've done a lot better early on but by the end of the game he was easily one of my favorites. My favorite surprisingly goes to Altina, where we get a lot more depth to her and much like Fie see her slowly opening up in her own way. Being only about the mission to wanting to help out her new friends worked well.

Cold Steel III made some improvements on stuff that became grating in II. The biggest one is the divine knight battle which was just boring after the first few times and was too frequent. While III had the formula of a battle at the end of every chapter, fewer chapters and overall battles spread out over time kept it from being stale. Also, while the battles were impossible to lose unless you were very bad or never upgrades, having 2 to 3 bots in the battle plus back up made the battles feel more dynamic overall.

While I'm still not a fan of Rean's ogre power I am glad we are finally getting more info on it. Initially I wasn't a fan of him not being able to control it but with how sudden he was able to gain control of it in II I'm fine with this development.

Outside of a few areas in the capital going to all new areas is greatly appreciated. After 2 games a change of scenery was greatly needed to seeing all new places not in the other games helped get through the game. If the 3rd game was all or mostly old places that would've made it harder to get through.

Individually, the various reunions between Rean and his classmates worked well, even with characters like Emma who I don't care for. Since they've all been on their own journeys and haven't met in various time frames, and we haven't seen them in a new game for a few years, each one is impactful in various ways. The same can't be said for the whole class reunion, as we've seen everyone at that point and the way the scene was executed it just came across as not that big a deal. You get a few interactions between certain characters and it was really weird that only the girls interacted with the girls and the guys with guys. It just felt overall low energy with what was being built up over the entire game. Since I mentioned Emma, it was nice to feel like she was a character for a moment when she was scolding her grandmother, but after that she went back to being a non character to me.

Once again, shout outs to Patrick, he was the Duke Dunan of this saga going from insufferable to a much better person. My favorite part was when you see him apologizing to Gaius about his comment to him in CS I. Really shows how much he's grown over this saga.

As for the ending, I think even if the characters that were shown to die ended up not dying the scene itself is still pretty effective in context. I think I've built an immunity to later scenes retroactively ruining earlier scenes. Being a One Piece fans, there have been sacrificial scenes that happen that end up with the character being fine, so I've learned to enjoy the moment and not have the ultimate fate ruin said moment. There's been other games where later scenes of a character ending up fine not diminishing said scene. Of course, that's not to say it doesn't effect me in some way, but I knew all about what happened in those last bunch of scenes but it still shook me to the core experiencing it first hand.

Speaking of which, that last battle before the credits was chilling. Seeing Rean with those menacing eyes has he says die every single time you attack was unnerving. Even at his lowest before he could still have humanity and some hope, but with Millium dying and the courageous destroyed with those in it dying, any hope he has was gone. It's one of the few actual fights you have in game in the trails games I've played that gives off such an emotional reaction, and probably one of the top emotional moments in the trails games. Despite my grievances with the Cold Steel games, when Falcom knocks it out of the park, they really knock it out.

There's probably a lot I'm not thinking about but this is the stuff I could think about at the top of my head for now.

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I agree with virtually everything minus me not being a fan of one piece =p. I already liked alisa, but yes if i see her get tsundere flak and not Yuna from this point on my eyes will roll out of their sockets. Finally i did expect to like Altina the most to begin with. I just wish she didnt get the nicknames. Altina is actually a nice name. Its pretty but so has a kind of power to it.

Im the same with current/future enjoyment. Its why i don't mind eating a few spoilers, even big ones. I mean I try to avoid them as a majority but not overwhelmingly so.

We actually have no news at all for cs4 though do we?

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I like tsunderes; they make me laugh. (I also want to tease them until they explode, kinda.) I liked Juna most of the time, but I don't really like Alisa. It just has nothing to do with them being tsundere or not. I simply find her uninteresting. It's not really anything more complicated than that, for me.

I think they're talking about the January PAX thing, when saying that there's a decent chance there's CS4 news on the horizon. (Not that we already have news...just that it could be coming up from PAX South since that's where we got word of CS3.) Personally, I'm not prepared to make any bets on the likelihood of CS IV getting announced there this year or not, though.

5. Trails of Persona

Alisa had a rough start and her voice I found grating so that did not help me. Also, CS II in general relegating the entire class into the background made it so she didn't get that extra time to complete her development. End of the day, there was an arc even if not completely executed well. Juna started off better since that slap moment didn't linger on nearly as long but overtime she became more grating and by end of the game I didn't get a feeling of any significant character arc for her. I still like both overall but I'm conflicted in different ways towards them.

As Kikki said, there's a PAX panel on the 17th which was the exact same date this year CS III was announced (still 2019 in my area right now). No guarantees but I think there's a pretty good chance we could get an announcement for IV. Even if no announcement doesn't mean we won't get an announcement in 2020.

I can like Tsunderes, but it all depends on what else is going on with them. It can become too grating at a certain point and it definitely got there with Juna. I'm still not the biggest Alisa fan since there are still better written characters in the class that don't have any of the annoyances she has.

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Alisa always felt whiny to me...might have been partially the voice they gave her. I just found her annoying overall, and her background not interesting. I didn't hate any of Class VII, but I couldn't get fond of Alisa.

Tsunderes that take their habits far enough to make fools out of themselves always entertain me, and for me, Juna was like that. I guess I just found her fun rather than annoying, most of the time, but the opposite with Alisa. I never really even thought of Alisa as a tsundere, tbh. I guess she is, but it's pretty mild. Imo, anyway.

It would certainly be great if we did get a CS4 announcement in January, but I don't want to start hoping for it, lol.

7. AttentionDeficitGuy

See, I really like Yuna, she's one of my favorites in new Class VII (all of whom I like a lot), but I do find her relationship with Rean to be the least interesting thing about her (which is... kinda odd, seeing as before I started the game, the whole dynamic of Rean having a Crossbellan student was one of the things I was most interested in seeing how it panned out). Mainly I just love her interactions with the rest of her class - I've said this before, but put in that dynamic she reminds me of a less inherently optimistic Estelle. I feel like she and Altina are both the "heart" of new Class VII each in different ways. Alisa has a similar problem, where her relationship with Rean is probably the least interesting thing about her, but unfortunately she's also not really given a chance to really develop relationships with any of the other characters besides her family and Sharon.

Trails of Persona likes this.
  8. Trails of Persona

That is another strength of this game compared to I and II, even with having problems with certain characters it's nice to see everyone actually interact with each other. This also goes with the rest of the students since we get to see a lot of them interact with various people as well. Juna does get the advantage of her interactions between everyone and when not focused on her relationship with Rean she does shine a lot more.

9. Trails of Persona

Well CS III is coming to Steam and GOG this March.

saldite likes this.
  10. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

I'm not surprised but I'm still happy it's happening either way.

11. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

That's very nice and certainly should happen since the series has always been on PC...also great that they're gonna spiff up Ys VIII on PC, too, but...for my OWN sake...I didn't get any announcement I wanted, since I don't play on PC. Happy for the PC players but disappointed that it wasn't anything for me to look forward to.

Oh well, guess the wait for CS IV is probably not gonna be the shortest possible one.

12. Trails of Persona

I have the secret stream going on and the co-op for Ys VIII looks good, but yeah a bummer on no CS IV announcement. There could be an announcement still sometime this year but I have doubts that if an announcement does happen we wouldn't get the game until next year.

I would be a bit more sad but soon I will be taking my time to get through the Crossbell games so not like I will be lacking in Trails content this year.

13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I got nothin'...but I do need to replay CS III, since it never all sinks in on the first go. (Heck, some of it doesn't sink in even on the second go.) I guess it's only fair that the PC players get a CS III announcement before I get a CS IV announcement, lol.

14. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I just hope they arent counting on cs3s pc sales to determine justification for if cs4 is worth doing at all.

15. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

I very much doubt it. When they sold out of the special edition preorders well in advance of release, I think it's safe to say they knew how the game was going to perform and whether or not CS4 would be worth doing.

16. AttentionDeficitGuy

Yeah, I for one am not in the least bit worried on the "did the game do well enough" side of things. By what metrics we outside the company can figure at this point, NISA's marketing push paid dividends - I think it's safe to assume CS3 had the biggest launch of any English release in the series. Whether it'll have as strong a tail as CS1 or Sky FC remains to be seen, but with the PC and Switch ports I have little doubt it will. Add the fact that CSIV will probably be a significantly easier project for them (certain terminologies are already translated, casting for most of the characters is already done, the script is notably shorter, marketing will probably be easier since the series is more well-established in the market now, etc), along with the fact that they very likely signed off on a two-game deal with Falcom when they got the license for CS3, and I CS4 is probably in the bag.

Whether it'll release late this year, like I still hope, or sometime in 2021, though...

17. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I'm not saying I suspect that they are waiting for pc sales to determine if they should do cs4, just saying that regardless of what I suspect to be true, I hope it's not =P. But yeah, as much as it PAINS me to think some people will have played cs3 before 1 and 2, LET ALONE sky, I do hope that there were tons and tons of people like that. As much as I love Xseed for bringing Trails to us, and as much as I think they set the gold standard... I think NISA kinda deserves a major success here simply due to all the marketing they did for the game. I mean I know Xseed is smaller and simply CANT market as hard, but I do think they kinda just put less effort into marketing it as well.

18. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Except marketing doesn't really help with a game that requires you have to have bought into at least ~4 games before it.
    Especially when they keep trying to say you could start at this one (you couldn't), partly because Falcom did the same thing, and partly because advertising things you didn't publish is hella awkward.

The most I think their marketing efforts did was they were very much trying to allay the negative reputation NISA has (and rightly so, and it's still sloppy and not been given enough time).

19. Trails of Persona

I just realized I forgot to talk a bit in depth about one of my favorite Cold Steel characters, Alfin, in my breakdown of the game. Gonna talk about her now since she doesn't get enough attention around here.

In the first two games, I loved Alfin's ability to tease others and especially get under Elise's skin. She was a troll in a different way from Olivert but still lovable. I also liked her moment on the Pantagreul where she had no problem crawling in the vents as she felt like she was in a spy novel. In the 2nd game we did see how she was starting to get an idea how being royalty she needs to act in certain ways to help others out, but outside of giving the Courageous authority to do what they needed to do she didn't seem to know what to do.

In this game she still hasn't really figured that out, but she is seeing how her mere presence and actions can have certain effects. In Crossbell her presence could be perceived as a slight in a way towards the citizens, especially with the current situation in regards to certain important figures being held up in Mishyland. She does want to do something but without much to go on she listens to Rean to let him and the rest of old class VII figure things out.

The moment that really stood out to me was when it came time for her first dance. Since the 1st game she seemed pretty set on having Rean be her first dance partner, but during the banquet she did not plan on having Rean be her partner, until Cedric decided to change that. She realizes what that would mean and with various guests gossiping before the start we get an idea just what kind of situation this it. However, Alfins strong point is taking a tense situation and breaking it down. She is quite smooth in introducing her friend Elise and having them both dance with Rean, with having Elise go first. It's overall a small moment in this large game, but was a good way showing how much Alfin has grown.

Now with Cedric being a grade A asshole and Olivert out of the picture, as well as the Emperor out of commission for now with the Empress at his bedside, it seems like Alfin will be stepping up now. I'm excited to see how her arc wraps up in the next game.

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I think I remembered to mention Alfin in my own comments after playing, but if I didn't...I love her. I've always loved her. I love her even more than Olivert. (I think Olivert is more FUN, but not as lovable, to me.) I've found her to be a kick-ass little gal from the start. She's smart, selfless and supportive. She's not a drama queen or someone who has to make everything about her, even though she's a princess and thus has been raised in a life where things ARE often about her...quite the contrary. She always puts others first, whether her own friends or the people of her country. She's probably my favourite Trails girl, though I also really like Fie. The only thing I didn't like involving Alfin in Cold Steel III was
    that she fainted (or shall I say 'swooned'?) when she got the news about the Courageous. It's actually not at all common to instantly pass out from bad news, and I think it betrayed her character, to make her the sort who would be so overcome that she was instantly rendered not just useless, but a burden to those around her who now have to jump to catch and care for her. I feel they wrote her out-of-character in that moment. She's tough, and has a lot of self-restraint, to boot, no matter how outrageous she may be sometimes. She might have gasped and staggered, or been in shock, but I think swooning was taking it too far. I think it more likely she would have taken care of her duties in caring for or reassuring the people around her, if necessary, and then I could see her taking off to verify the truth for herself. I'm just not into the fainting. Or is this a princess-and-the-pea thing? Princesses are born subject to intensely sensitive skin, and syncope?

Anyway, she's definitely my all-time favourite princess, so far, including any game, book, movie or show that I can think of, off-hand.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020