Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Not really sure why you would WANT to dislike something. Makes it sound like you care more about complaining about something than trying to enjoy it. I mean I'm not saying your complaints are invalid, just that... why would you WANT that instead of just enjoying it?

Anyway the female costumes were mostly pretty tame IMO. Millium and Fie were pretty silly, and Shirley I guess but I'd say it kinda suits Shirley. Maybe Altina if you count her why/how does her outfit magically change just cuz she's using her s-break attack, but you only see that at the end and during sbreaks (why at the end though. they captured her while she's in the middle of s-breaking someone? *shrugs*)

As for your spoiler question, I have a feeling you're onto something and whatnot, though I suspect
    Millium is perma-dead... If not, that would be pretty weird, I mean supposedly her SOUL was used, so yeah

2. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I can't say for sure, of course, but I think they just meant that there was a lot they did dislike about the game, so they'd like to just write it off at "I didn't like this" and leave it behind, as that's easier, but they can't, because in spite of being frustrated or disappointed with a lot of it, it's Kiseki, and it's an amazing world/story that you feel compelled to stick with even if some of the experience left much to be desired. That's what I got out of that, anyway.

I didn't dislike enough about CS III to say that, though of course I've already expressed the same major complaint, so I won't go on about it again, but it does destroy my hard-earned emotional investment in the story/characters. I liked more about the game than I disliked, and knew going in that it would be a cliffhanger, because 1 and 2 are directly connected, just like FC and SC are directly connected, and III and IV are directly connected...and they always leave us on a cliffhanger in those circumstances. Granted, some are worse than others, but I found it a lot more painful to not be able to instantly pop CS II in to play than I'm finding the idea of waiting for IV.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  3. Mysterial

Mysterial New Member

Yes, that's it. Yeah, it's kind of rant-y. Needed to try to get it off my chest a little, I suppose. Isn't that what forums are for? :)

The cliffhanger this time got me worse because
    I was expecting a minor/moral victory like Sky 1 or CS 2. The heroes save the day, but it turns out that wasn't really important to the plan, or their victory was part of the plan, or whatever. Plus the usual twist reveal. But this time it's just complete defeat. I wasn't expecting that going in - which is good in a certain sense - but when you play 100 hours of an RPG - with a previous ~150 invested on the arc previously - and get zero conclusion, it's pretty rough, at least to me.
    Certainly I have myself to blame for playing it earlier than maybe I should have, given the localization history. I'm sure plenty of people here can relate. :p

4. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

So regarding cs3s end cliffhangeryness

I think its ok to end with such a low point here most of all because osborne is pretty much the main antagonist thru the kiseki series as a whole so far. I mean maybe not directly in sky and crossbell, but he has kinda been manipulating everything in the background in those cases. You know what they say is that things are their most fierce before they finally die. So... yeah.

Im assuming osborne is finally defeated in cs4. I dunno but I suspect so.

5. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

CS III gave out so many details and drew so many loose ends in, I can't help but wonder what the next series (Calvard, right?) will be like. It feels like it might be more punchy...shorter because it can be more direct, having less to set up or explain. Because it doesn't seem like there's nearly as much lore or world-building left to lay out, now. CS III gave so many explanations...it feels like half of the mysteries we've had in this series have been cleared up.

6. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Maybe the short term ones. But we still have the grand plot of oroborus, the grandmasters identity, and the orpheum final plan to deal with which I imagine will drop some lore bombs on us suddenly.

7. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Also Anton's search for love and
    that damn happiness stone!!! (actually I don't think we'll ever get answers to Moon Door 5)

8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Bleh, Ouroboros. I know they're the overarching plot and may even be the point of the entire series, and yet, I can never get interested in what they're doing. :/ I just hope whatever comes after Cold Steel has a really interesting setting and/or cast of characters, to keep me involved if the series starts to focus primarily on Ouroboros as things go along. It's the personal story of each individual character (that I like) that keeps me playing these games, rather than the grand plot behind it all.

9. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Ouroboros stuff has been in the background ever since their reveal, but there always seems to be lingering stuff. Cold Steel has more to wrap up since there's been 3 games of set up for a finale, but if we go by what has been released officially in English there was only bits and pieces of set up for Erebonia, mainly knowing Osborne would be a major player and Olivert would be doing something to try and undermine him in some way.

Outside of Ouroboros, for Calvard we know there's a few things going on. One is immigration seems to be causing problems for the country for various reasons (I know it's been explained but I can't remember what the exact problems cropping up were). There's also the fact that the political situation is terrible with the parties in charge being highly ineffective. There's the agency that Angie's master is head of and what they are doing as well. So once we actually get there to get inside information the plot threads for both just the setting and the world at large will reveal itself.

Kikki likes this.
  10. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I think it's no mistake Ouroboros turn up and usually have a more specific immediate goal in mind in most of the games, so there's some direct motivation and conflict there. Rather than an abstract.

11. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Well also eastern calvard is having some kind of major spirit vein drought.

12. AttentionDeficitGuy

Also they seem to be making technological strides at a greater pace than the rest of Western Zemuria (if the RAMDA units are any indication).

13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Interesting statement. I'd have to wonder HOW they could be more technologically advanced, considering that Western Zemuria has all of the Reinfords, the Russells, and that horrible Schmidt. The Epstein Foundation is out that way, but with the whole RAMDA thing being linked to 'spiritual energy' to make it customized to the individual, it sounds almost more like magic than technology, to me. Though maybe that's just in the translation.

Well, at least it sounds like I won't have to deal with the story being mostly about Ouroboros too quickly, anyway. (Or the Septian Church. I don't like them, either, and I think they'll probably become more important, later. Well, maybe I'll start to like them if they do.) I think the only thing connected to Ouroboros that I care about at all is McBurn, because I don't get why he'd be associated with them in the first place, since he doesn't seem to care about anything other than finding powerful people to fight (I suppose that could be why, in itself, since this way he's bound to come up against powerful people). So it seems out of character, to me. McBurn's power source...maybe I missed it in the mass of details (though I doubt it, since that's one I'm really interested in and would have paid attention to) but that's something I still don't really understand. So that's something I'm interested in, that's still gotta be covered. Though maybe it already has been in IV. I'm kind of thinking it HAS to be, since it concerns Rean.

I guess the Calvard portion isn't coming that soon anyway. We've still got IV as well as that other one I heard about that they want to do, to clean up some loose ends or something. (I don't remember much about that, though.) It's just hard to imagine what the set-up is going to be once it's no longer about any of the characters I know. I started with Cold Steel so I've not yet really thought about what it'd be like to move on to a whole new cast, as people who started with Sky must have.

I totally missed most of the stuff Trails of Persona mentioned, there. (Immigration, political stuff, etc) But yeah, I guess any country would have all of its own internal issues, so new immediate plot would arise even if threads that have spanned from Sky through Cold Steel are starting to be resolved.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

I haven't commented much, but I just wanted to say: I'm still reading all your impressions and am enjoying hearing all your opinions on the game. Congratz to all who have already beaten the game, as well!

15. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Oh yeah. I wonder if ramda is supposed to be lambda. Seems like a little too obvious to be an accidentql typo (or whatever you call a mistranslated 'r/L' when going from Japanese to English.

16. AttentionDeficitGuy

That would be my guess.

17. Trails of Persona

Well, for something a little more fun and much less serious, I wanted to make a character tier list. No, not the boring which playable characters are the best on a technical level, I mean based on completely arbitrary reasons! Putting in spoilers because some of it will involve end game stuff and will not include many characters because way too many to go through.

Aidios Tier

Elliot
    I wasn't expecting to put him in the top tier but here we are. Elliot proves that real men don't come into a battle field with a weapon, but with a violin in hand and just start playing music danger be damned. Also, his evasion skill against his father trying to hug him are matched by none, evading him like it's breathing. We always thought Fie was the speed demon but Elliot may have just topped it

Jingo and Cerberus
    Cereberus for obvious reasons, from running the shop, to shopping and cleaning, this pup can do it all while melting our hearts. Then we have our gangster rising to gangstar as she will put the fear of Aidios into anyone. Ash will talk crap to anyone but when Jingo comes out with a gun he books it with nothing to say. Then when the capital is going to Gehenna she brings out a rocket launcher like it's nothing while Cerberus barks. Truly a deadly and adorable duo.

Becky
    What can I say, ever since the first game she's been just so charming, and now she's out to take down the nefarious Hugo. There needs to be a spinoff game staring her where it ends with her dropkicking then suplexing Hugo.

Olivert
    I'd say I'm bias, but man be way too charming for his own good. This game was destined to be best of the cold steel games when I found out he was playable, no matter how short it was.

Top Tier

Laura and Fie
    It's how you spell victory, nuff said. That and between their weapons and Fie's snark they can cut through anything.

Patrick
    Dude had a lot of that humble pie and really changed for the better. His apology to Gaius near the end of the game for what he said in the first game proved that. Plus, despite being put in crappy situations such as having to help out Marquis Ballad he takes that all in stride. That and anyone who still tries towards Reans sister despite the sister complex has to be pretty tough.

Tita
    She has to take classes, work under the meanest professor (as far as orbal engineers goes), and have time to collaborate to make a new machine shows there's a lot packed into this adorable pipsqueak. Also, just mentioning Renne a bit reduced me to tears so her power level is quite scary in that regard.

Mid Tier

Rean
    Went from a character I mostly didn't care about to one I like overall. Shows he has hidden potential and can come out no matter what is thrown at him (whether it's the game or players expectations). Unfortunately preexisting bias is impossible to completely break so this is as high as he gets.

Agate
    Like him overall, but if that's how his name is actually pronounced then I have to show disapproval in some way.

Low Tier

Musse
    There are aspects that are interesting about her late game, but when 80% of her is being fixated on Rean it gets old fast. I'd put Elise here as well but at least she is around for only a very small portion of the game so I don't want to put her down.

Rufus
    I can't completely hate the guy right now since there's something about him that makes it hard, but between the Crossbell stuff and everything else he's definitely gone down.

Trash Tier

Hugo
    Showing Becky disrespect was your biggest mistake, dealing with Osborne was a terrible one as well. Went from being decent to just a super villain. Also putting him down here because I imagine all of this will come down to the curse and not because of anything else.

Irredeemable

Cedric
    Osborne sucks as well, but the fact you had no qualms about having your brother get offed shows you are scum. Then after that you proceed to try to choke a girl to death is just icing on the cake of crap you are. All this because you want false power that you felt when being in Testarossa back in the war. I was a little sympathetic at first since you went through that, but this is beyond anything I could even consider forgiving you for.

18. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Although it's also missing a b!
    (I don't know how those would usually translate to being spoken in Japanese, really the easiest way would be to listen to any voice acting that says it).

19. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I do like your list, but...those reasons don't seem completely arbitrary. Isn't it simply a list of the characters ranked by how much you like/enjoy them? And going down to ones you hate. And then the reasons you like them are given right there, too. (Mine would be different, but yours is still funny and well-reasoned, so I can get behind it. But Cerberus would be high on my list, too, and I don't even like animals much. Favourite video game puppy of all time!)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  20. Trails of Persona

I put arbitrary because if I made an actual ranking list things would be listed differently and be much more in depth with my analysis, but probably could've used a different word. Not sure exactly how your tier list would go but I do know Rean would be in a much higher ranking at the very least. And yes, Cerberus is the best video game pup of all.

So NISA has a panel at PAX next month so perhaps we will get an announcement on Cold Steel IV. Checking the announcement thread for III we got confirmation January 17th of this year and the panel is on the 17th of next month as well.