Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

In chapter 4
    played 3 hours past bedtime and have work in 3 hours because I was dying to get Gaius' explanation on where he has been during the class 7 reunion. I mean I know the answer but Id like to hear it from an in game character describing it in a non cryptic way to his trusted friends. Only for him be all like. Nah. Later.

WTF. REEEEEE

2. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Well, it took almost 3 whole games but there was finally a moment with the whole Elise/Rean stuff I actually found funny/good.

That moment where Rean straight up says Death is the only suitable punishment then goes talking about how he will strap those guys to Valimar got me good.

So some thoughts about chapter 4 up to the start of the dungeon.

First of all, Oliverts wink face is a gift from Aidios, I can't get enough of it. Melts my heart so good.

Patrick having a chat with Ferris equals what a nice little reunion.
    Rean talks to a woman he is friends with or has a working relationship with equals they must be boning am I right?
    I've seen people say this game is supposed to be ribbing on the whole Harem stuff but I find it extremely annoying and want it to stop but it just keeps coming.

I have to say, the way this whole dungeon came up works so much better compared to the first Cold Steel. There it's from what felt like a side part of the game that didn't seem to connect to the overall story where here it has had build up and obviously there is more to come afterward. Also, unlike the Infernal castle in II you split up so you can keep party members leveling up and make sure they work well in a unit, instead of CS II where they force you to use the group of members you never used and most likely are under leveled and badly set up. I already know a little bit about stuff that happens after the dungeon but I greatly look forward to how it all build towards the ending.

Once again, I love how you can learn about characters who don't even reappear in these games. I think talking to everyone is more interesting since you can learn about certain old Thors members from random people (like about Lambert and Whitcomb from one person at the horse tracks during one time of day). Also, got to respect Dorothee for keeping up her hobbies/fantasies no matter the situation.

I feel the whole class VII reunion was a bit underwhelming. I think a huge part of it is how you saw all of them overtime during the story so all of them together didn't stick out as much. I also think that overall individual reunions with certain characters are more effective than a whole group. It was the same in II when you all got back together, it was cool but it was the individual reintroductions that worked better.

Also, pretty jarring how with one required scene someone says martial law will take place tomorrow but in another they say the correct one of it will happen today.

This is definitely the best Cold Steel game so far that I've been able to play, leaps and bounds better than II when it comes to pacing. I'll have to wait until I finish the game but playing this myself and 3rd with my friend I can safely say Sky 3rd is still my favorite, but waiting to see if CS III is my 2nd or 3rd favorite

3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I want to finish cs 3 before I compare it to cs 1 and 2.

Edit. Didnt mean to send. I twitched and hit it.

Im at the same point pretty much. I do like how chapter 4s dungeon feels like a final dungeon in the whole game. I agree the reunion was a major bust. I wanted in depth backstories for all the characters during the past year.

4. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Hit final chapter. Feels like cs1's epilogue, though I suspect and hope it will be longer. The beginning of it and the 2nd half of chapter 4 make it one of my fave parts of the entire kiseki series. Very gripping.

I just hope that the one of the party members unavailable will become available before too long.

5. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I'm curious about how those who finished the game felt after they were done. I thought CS III would have an ending that made it painful to think of waiting for CS IV, but even though it was as 'big' of an ending as I was expecting (since all of the Kiseki games have momentous endings), and more...I don't actually feel all that desperate to get to CS IV. Maybe the ending was SO big it just shorted me out, lol. I don't know, I wasn't really expecting to feel the way I did about it.

I may have to play it again to figure out how I feel. Or maybe I'll forever remain unsure how I feel about that ending; I honestly don't know.

6. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

I think "shorted" is a good word :p

There was a lot to parse. I felt... awed, in a weird way? But that was more from a detached "oh look, the story's going to crazy places" perspective. I'll say that initially, I was very much "GAH WANNA SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" but after letting it sit a few days, I got my patience back.

Millium's death made me sad. The Courageous exploding was absolutely heartbreaking. Osborne continuing to use his son as a pawn, and in such a horrific way to enact such a horrific step of his plan, made me angrier than ever. I wanted to punch him in the face after seeing him alive at the end of CS2 for the first time, and I wanted to punch him even more playing through the Divertissement the second time (after I'd played the Crossbell arc and gotten more attached to what was happening there), but this time it was more like I wanted to throttle the bastard.

I guess the main thing is that I feel so sorry for Rean. It feels like in this game, he was finally getting to the point he needed to be. Sure, he was essentially the Imperial Government's emergency attack dog, but he seemed to find a place where he was really needed and really belonged as a teacher, even more so than he'd been as a member of Class VII, and it was helping him to overcome his conflicting feelings about his parentage, and his trauma from losing control in North Ambria. And now pretty much the same thing happened again, but this time instead of destroying a city that had already been evacuated, he slaughtered an ancient creature and in the process unleashed a horrific curse on the continent.

It's very much an Empire Strikes Back sort of thing, where the end makes me on the one hand excited for the possibilities of what might happen next, but on the other hand extremely frustrated on the behalf of the characters.

Also:
    I may have been spoiled, like, months ago, that Olivier is alive as of the end of CS4. I don't know whether that means he survived the destruction of the Courageous or whether there'll be some kind of resurrection thing happening with him, but either way it makes all of my feelings regarding that particular event complicated.

EDIT: Another thing, though this has less to do with the ending specifically and more with the last quarter of the game in general, but I'm kinda miffed that the new Class VII kinda fell out of focus toward the end there. I guess it was inevitable when juggling a cast that big (I'm hoping CS4's finale involves them more and old Class VII less), but still worth mentioning. I love new Class VII, and am definitely relieved that, for the moment at least, Altina and Ash are both more or less okay.

Kikki likes this.
  7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Just gonna quickly address a couple of your items. Already nattered about this at great length to a friend, so will be trying to keep it relatively short. Though I'm not gonna check your CS IV spoiler in there as I don't want any spoilers for that one since I'm still spoiler-free on it. :)

Disconnected is a good word, or disassociated...that's how I felt, too. The ending was so huge that it just flattened me. Like...I don't know what to make of this...so I won't try to make anything of it at all.

And I'm gonna try NOT to let this turn into a rant because I already whined to my friend, but...Olivier/etc death is a huge peeve for me, because I don't believe it. Because of the cheap way this series uses death, bringing back whoever they want whenever they want, whether by some kind of resurrection or some kind of 'ha ha, fooled you, we actually escaped off-camera last minute!' thing, I don't for a second think Olivier and the others are dead. They'll just be back, like Osborne, Crow, Fie Daddy, etc. What's probably worse is if they DON'T come back, because I totally believe they will, BUT...they might not. And if they're not, that means I was robbed of the chance to feel truly sad about their death, because I was rolling my eyes and thinking 'yeah right, they'll just come back in the next game'. I'm not SURE about Victor Arseid or Toval, though I figure if one is back, all will be...but I'm absolutely certain that Olivert will be. (While admitting that yeah, I could be wrong, he could REALLY be dead, but I really, really doubt it, so I just don't feel sad.)

I'm find it difficult to get emotionally invested in things, a lot of the time, so I resent any plot device that makes it even harder for me to get emotionally invested, and resurrection of dead characters is one of those things. So whenever I encounter it, I begrudge its existence.

I do think Millium is really dead, though. Mind you, I think they could make another Millium (which would probably be really traumatic) but still, I was actually able to feel sad about her. Though it was one of the things I guessed about the ending quite early on. I was sure someone important would die, and figured it'd most likely be Altina, or that Altina and Millium would somehow end up forced to kill each other, and both would die. So I didn't quite predict it, but I wasn't overly surprised, either, since the game felt like it kept hinting that something bad would go down with Altina, Millium, or both.

I already really, really hated Osborne, to the point where it'd be quite difficult for me to hate him more. But this game certainly didn't lessen it any! I don't care what his reasons are or have been...he's crap. He's garbage, I hate him. Die please horribly, Osborne. I don't care what noble reasons they ascribe his actions to later (if that is what they do), I can't imagine it will ever make me forgive him or like him even in the smallest bit.

I was pretty sure Rean would NOT end up happier and if anything would probably end up in his worst place ever by the end of the game, so it wasn't a surprise that he did, but...yeah. They really want to jerk that poor boy around. Give him dribbles of hope and happiness, and them shred them to a bloody pulp. I just hope it ultimately ends well for him, because I love Rean to bits...he's been my favourite since the first game.

Also, I really liked the new class VII, too! I thought I'd be pining for the originals the whole time, but it got to the point where I actually resented time spent away from the newbies. :) I liked Juna and Kurt a lot from the very start, and eventually got quite fond of Altina, as well. The whole new class is pretty appealing.

EDIT: Oh, and I loved the game, btw. Just in case I made it sound like I didn't. But the things that frustrate you always grab your attention the hardest, I guess, and you end up talking about them the most intensely. Or I do, anyway.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  8. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I like new class 7 as well. Though Musse is almost 1 dimensional. I get it. She likes to hit on rean, thats fine. But I wish she had a little bit more dialogue that wasnt hit on rean oriented. Almost as bad as gaius talking about the wind in cs1 and 2.

9. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

I gotta say, though, she did grow on me. Granted, a lot of that probably had to do with the intrigue of not knowing what, exactly, is going on with her - especially when it became clear halfway through Chapter 3 that being the true heir of house Cayenne wasn't all there was to it. She almost reminds me of FC/SC Olivier, in a way - super intelligent, but hiding her intellect behind a facade of shallow predictability. She is definitely at her best when she's not Rean-fixated, though - like a few of the moments she has to interact with the rest of Class VII without Rean around, or her few moments in the Final Chapter. Honestly one of the things I'm super excited about in CS4 is seeing what's up with her mutual relationship with Aurelia and Vita. (Also, I have a theory that she's the seventh Awakener, but that's not really here nor there.)

10. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, Musse's defining characteristic got old really fast. I didn't hate her for it or anything, but it got tiring. Though I did get to like her more as she got a bit more detail added to her character and by the time the game was done, I was fairly interested in her.

But then, all the sly nudging about Rean's harem got exhausting to read about (though some of it was very funny) pretty fast, too, so that may have contributed to it not being all that amusing in Musse, since it felt like just more of the same. I'm fine with Rean having a harem's worth of women interested in him, since I think it's nice that the game lets you deepen his relationships with whatever character you choose, and to do that the harem thing kind of has to exist, but...I really didn't need it to be talked about so darned much. It was funny at times, but other times...ugh.

This would be way too much work when making the game, I'm sure, but I would have loved if they had been able to let you choose whether you wanted a special romantic or platonic relationship. I mean sure, you can get platonic with the guys, but for me, I'd love to let Rean and Laura just be great buds and comrades without any mushy stuff, for example. Though I'm not really asking for that; I just would have really liked it. With Emma, too. (My favourite romantic tones in this game were very much Sara and Claire. I loved everything about them in this game, I think.)

11. Trails of Persona

I'd be fine with the Harem stuff a little bit if I felt like there was actual chemistry between Rean and all the girls, but most of them feel at most just good friends with only a few that really come across as possibly romantic. Heck, of the few characters I've seen across these 3 games as being possibly romantic Crow was one of them.

As for wanting to play CS IV and whether or not one really wants to get into it as soon as possible, I think at this point no matter how much you love the Cold Steel games after 3 full games and still no definite ending it is easy to start getting burned out. At this time between the 3 Cold Steel games I've put in at least 210 hours if I take the amount of time it took to beat each game the first time around (80 hours for CS I, 60 for CS II, and currently at 70 Hours in III). For reference, The Sky trilogy took me around 130 hours to beat all three. That's a lot more time invested and still need one more game to actually get the full story, and it sounds like there could be a 5th game which could be more like 3rd. At a certain point you need closure and to move on to something new.

Now I do want to play CS IV badly, but there's certain spoiler reasons why I crave it because certain parts I really want to play and see unveil at my own pace.

As for Musse, yeah her shtick got old fast when combined with the Harem aspect. She does become a bit more interesting later on but never she still continues with her lusting for Rean and makes it hard to like the other aspects with that front and center. At least Ash was able to move past his initial prickish self and become a more nuanced character.

I really should finish the game so I can give a more indepth thought on the game, but I am still content on taking my time for now.

12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Honestly, yeah. Most of the time, it doesn't feel (to me) like Rean has any special interest in anyone. Rean cares about everyone, and loves ALL of his classmates, with relative equality. They did write a lot of interest in Rean into Alisa, of course. But they wrote just as much into Jusis, who from the start was very interested in every choice Rean ever made, seeing Rean as his counterpart in many ways. And Alfin has also always been very interested in Rean. (I don't really wanna talk about Elise, lol, though certainly her interest is clearly established.) But with some the characters, I can't see any chemistry between them at all. I find the idea of Rean paired with Valimar more interesting than with, say, Emma, lol. (Not saying I dislike Emma, just that I can't feel any romance there.)

Crow is on a whole other level. Not that it's romantic, because that's not how this series works, and I suppose it's because he's the fated rival as well as the friend-who-got-away, but from the beginning, Crow and Rean both showed a lot of interest in whatever the other person was up to. Plus they both admire or like each other, personality-wise. Rean spends more time thinking about Crow and making decisions motivated by Crow, than any other individual, and Rean represents the life Crow could have had, but sacrificed. It feel at times like they're a little obsessed with each other. That provides a basis to think 'hmm...maybe this could turn romantic'. Whereas with some of his actual romantic options, it feels like there's nothing special there.

For me, the people I find Rean most interesting with (in no particular order) are Sara, Claire, Jusis, Crow, Alfin, Elise (I hate the bro x sis thing, but I do find them interesting, at least) Ash, Altina and Juna. That's not to say I necessarily would want to see Rean paired up with those people, I just found his relationship with each of those characters really interesting because there was intensity there, one way or another. There's no intensity at all between Rean and his actual romantic options, imo.

13. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I generally find randomly having a range of possible romance options doesn't nearly as well as having one (or just not) that's fixed and thus given the time it needs.
    Though everyone making fun of Rean for being good friends with a lot of girls and also being oblivious I tend to find amusing as dunking on Rean is always a good time.
    I do also appreciate that Cold Steel's always let you use the slot to be besties with pretty much anyone, even if they did often push the romantic angle at times.

The constant over-egging of Agate and Tita can get in a bin though. That probably should've stopped being a "joke" a long time ago as it feels stuck in stasis sometimes.

14. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

It's fiction, not reality, so to each their own, but Tita is 16 and Agate is 28. Kinda makes sense to me that it's treated like a joke rather than allowed to become serious, at this point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  15. Trails of Persona

Much like with Rean and Fie, I wish the direction of Agate and Tita was more an actual brother/sister type relationship. When you look at their interactions in that light it's heartwarming, when they try to push the romantic angle in the case of Rean and Fie I don't see it, with Agate and Tita it's on the creepy side. It's one thing if Tita had a puppy crush but when everyone is egging them on I just don't care for it.

Also, agree with your stuff with Quoting me Kikki.

Obviously this game is huge and we can't see everything, but man this game has a lot of things where you would like to see interaction you hear about but don't get to see on screen. Two notable ones from chapter 4.

Dangit, I don't want to hear how Olivert is going on a date with Sherazard, I want to see it myself. Same with Mary and Makarov, and to an extent Neithart and Fiona

Have to say, after finishing the dungeon in chapter 4 there was finally a scene where Emma was memorable to me. Not enough to make her a great character in my eyes, but having a scene where she actually stuck out was nice. Also

We have a literal Chekov's gun now eh? I know what happens with it but didn't know what led up to it. Also, hell of a scene after the fight against Azure Siegfried

Kikki likes this.
  16. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Seems that we're largely on the same wavelength with how we view relationships in the game. I also really like Agate and Tita as a loving bro/sis pair, but not as a romantic pair. I would be okay with Rean and Fie (though I don't think they have any more chemistry written into their relationship than Rean does with any of his classmates other than Alisa), but the idea of Agate and Tita gives me a case of the squicks. Though I think it's ridiculous when people try to take some kind of moral high-ground over something like that, (I don't think that's been an issue on this forum but I have seen people getting on high-horses over stuff like this before) because it's fiction, filled with characters of unrealistic ages, and looking at personality, Tita IS very mature in spite of her sheer adorableness, so...yeah, I think it's fine to like any pairing. But for ME the idea is extremely unappealing.

Plus I LIKE close platonic/familial relationships and wish there was more of them, without making everything about romantic relationships. That's why I've always been so disappointed in Elise. I always wanted her to treat Rean properly like a brother. He needs a good sister more than he needs yet another romantic prospect, imo. (She's a strong, dutiful girl, though, I like her, if not as much as I like Alfin.)

Trails of Persona likes this.
  17. Trails of Persona

Yeah, we seem to mostly agree. I think my thought with the Fie and Rean part is how there also seems to be a disconnect with the pairings as well. There's the Persona aspects and when it comes down to choosing the romantic route it feels more like which girl the player likes than which one Rean would actually go with. I've looked up various opinions in different places, and almost without fail I see something along the lines of "This is MY favorite girl", where the player is interested in a certain character without considering Rean's perspective. I love Fie's character but to me when I choose her for certain things it's because I consider her to be my comrade, partner in crime. If I was to chose somebody to have my back it would be her between her skills and her snark ability. So when it came time to choose someone I chose her but didn't want it to be romantic because I don't see her that way. Works in this case since there isn't much of a romantic undertone between them outside a few lines from optional bonding stuff.

I want to like Elise and some foundation is there but unfortunately any time it feels like she could have good moments it falls into the "haha aren't these two siblings so in love" and she doesn't get an opportunity to go beyond that. I love Alfin though as while she does some of that teasing she has many other great moments that allow her to shine. Klaudia is still best Princess of the two but she is still an endearing character that I always look forward to seeing.

18. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

edit: holy dung. I am NOT one to focus on this kind of topic but the last 2 posts got me started and I tend to ramble and and I just finished the game so I'm pretty much spilling it all! I'm really sorry! I'm not a major creep I promise! =P

Just finished the game, started slow but played my unmentionables off this past week. probably played more in the last 3 days than I did ever since release. Dung... I forgot to check my played time. I think it's like 120ish hours though. I'll give an overall impression on the game in a future post, but for now, in regards to the above 2 posts which I wish to reply to.

I did enjoy the romance of sky more than the optional 'romance' of cold steel which doesn't really feel like romance since there is none except for the odd final scene here or there. Tita/Agate doesn't bother me THAT much, but at the same time I don't feel like it's done very well. I think part of my perspective is I don't have a sister at all, and frankly I'm kind of the opposite of Angelica when it comes to libido. Kinda personal but let's just say I had zero interest in sex until I was in my late 20s, and even then it's like... interesting but meh, don't need. I thought I was asexual actually, kinda wonder if I still am, sorry for TMI. The weird thing is though, I still prefer women over men (as a man) in terms of wanting to be special to them (well really, like 2, I don't care about your average woman beyond caring for people in general). It's an emotional need to be significant to them more than a sexual one, but I'd be willing to go that far if they wanted that from me (I'm not very attractive, due to not me lusting very much, so yeah).

Sorry if that sounds off topic but my point is I think my perspective may be rather unusual in the sense that I have a light feeling in my chest at proper romance, without the physical nature of it others may have... So going back to Tita/Agate... There is very little backstory supplied of their relationship between CS and Sky2, where there is no romance at all, 3rd has some back story, but not really romantic, maybe a suggestion or two, but that's it. This is why I think it isn't done well, but no it doesn't 'squick' me, because I've trained myself to accept other people's more... ACTIVE... fantasies, despite me not understanding myself. Combine that with having no sister... I'm not grossed out.

Carrying on this... I don't play games and see myself as the protagonist, so I'm not saying this with that in mind. I know it will probably make some hate me, but I find Altina's story t ouching. Always have, even before cs3. I kind of had a minimal emotion thing going on throughout my life myself, and I feel like my parents thought I was a tool and a pay machine more than anything else. I don't really like Rean much because he's kind of a mary-sue in my opinion, who never learns from the same mistake despite having an epiphany about it countless times, but I have some kind of yearn that Altina gets a mary-sue. Because she deserves one IMO, and while I don't want to force a romance on her, given her paranoia about 'untowards thoughts' in CS2... Despite her being incapable of aging to my understanding. I think she's capable of... adult-desires. Yeah.. let's put it that way... I mean I'm not saying she's a perv, but if she has a desire for romance herself... I care more about her than Rean, and Rean seems to be who she trusts most, and as much as I don't like rean as much say Estelle, I know that he would be an upstanding significant other to her... I know it wont happen though, I'm just theorizing. I mention it though because I feel like I would be hipocritical to say tita/agate = eww. when rean/altina is probably even worse by other people's standards, but I'd love to see it (done well mind you). I kinda think Alisa is a good fit though. I like her too, and approve of her from Rean's perspective, but I think Altina would benefit from, and deserves a moral mary-sue more.

Trails of Persona likes this.
  19. Trails of Persona

No problems with your story, and as far as the brother sister/ age gap I'm a bit mixed on it, but in fictional sense that's not affecting actual people I'm whatever on it. I know there are fantasies I have that would get eyebrows raised so I try to be accommodating on that part.

I can definitely agree on the Tita and Agate part being woefully underdeveloped, and more of my frustration coming from how it's mostly a joke and I'd rather they commit to a dynamic at this time. Agate obviously doesn't see Tita that way and the way things were being built up the actual brother/sister dynamic was a much better angle. Also, just to clarify with the brother/sister stuff I don't hate the Elise stuff just because she's Rean's sister. I'm fine with the Estelle/Josh relationship and that's in the same boat. It's more that unlike the rest of the Women that can be considered part of Rean's Harem, Elise doesn't have anything defining outside of that which annoys me.

As for Altina, I wasn't a fan of her in CS II but she's definitely come a long way for me in this game. That said, if you liked her even before this game I'm not going say there's anything wrong with that. We all have our various opinions and reasons behind it from big to small. I know I talk a lot of smack towards certain characters but I still respect others if they like said characters even if I don't come across the best way at times.

Anyways, I've probably talked enough about the Harem/Romantic aspects so I will avoid talking about that particular aspect. Out of curiosity, how much longer do I have in the game if I'm in the middle of doing the ticket events but haven't started the required mission (I talk to all the NPCs when new dialogue becomes available)? I have 75 hours in the game but doesn't look like I'll get even close to 100 hours, and I don't know how people get that long of an in game time. Same for the other CS games where others got over 100 hours in I and II and I did everything in those games and was far off in getting that kind of time.

20. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Probably a double post, maybe someone will post between this and my last. I'm posting this immediately after though and the topic is completely different, so it's why I'm making it a new post. copy/pasting the first line though:

Just finished the game, started slow but played my unmentionables off this past week. probably played more in the last 3 days than I did ever since release. Dung... I forgot to check my played time. I think it's like 120ish hours though. I'll give an overall impression on the game in a future post BZZZZT. nope, this post now.

So overall... do I like CS3 more than 1 and 2? Maybe? I LOVE 1 and 2 btw so don't take that as a downer. I don't say love easily either, when I say love, I mean if I like CS4 as much as 3, I'll have absolutely no regrets pre-ordering 4...and the last game I pre-ordered was 3.. and the time before than was 2... so yeah. Kiseki games are the pinnacle of my gaming adorations.

In any case I say maybe because I think it's about equal, but CS1 started from nothing, CS2 built upon the excellent start of CS1, and 3 from both... Actually, come to think of it. maybe it's like CS1 maybe= cs3 > cs2? I mean I love cs 2 as well but...

this is typical for me, I tend to like the earlier kiseki games more than most of its f ans over the later ones, and I don't mean sky more than cold steel. I actually think I like cold steel more than your average sky fan does. What I mean is I think I like sky 1 more than most sky fans over 2 and 3, and I like cs 1 more than most cs fans over 2 and 3. I like the building itself rather than the outcome, and Falcom is the absolute best at building worlds. I feel like later games in the arcs don't build worlds though, they tend to USE them built from previous games, and up the stakes plot-wise, and it makes people like them more, but I'm sitting there wanting more world and not enjoying it quite as much.

That finished, my overall generic impressions of CS3:
    NPC chatting felt like more of a chore than CS1 and 2. I spoke to every npc in every village after every event... Asides from the campus students, random book give-aways, etc. I felt there was little reward. By reward I don't mean in-game items, I mean development. I mean I recognized some npc faces through the game such as little luna and her doting family, but I felt like none of them developed quite the same way as in sky where you had that shop owner dude with a granny trying to hook him up with a girl and succeeding eventually and he gets married...Or a ricky and alan (was that their names? I'm terrible with names), or.. you get the picture... Even the branch campus students didn't seem to develop past a Schick more than previous cold steel games, they had their thing and every chapter they reinforced it. But in 1 and 2 for example. Vivi was a prankster, who took gardening to get more free time, did some pranks to t he player, came out to be Dependant on her big sister at the end, and then reinforced her sister love in cs2 when she split up... in cs3? not much building, and she has MORE depth established than most soo.. not a cherry-picked example by any means.

Combat was similarly not as fun IMO... Bear in mind I play CS games with self-imposed handicaps where I don't build a character around 1-shotting bosses with an S-craft, dominion, etc. In fact I try not to use S-crafts at all (I do in cs2 though during ap-bonus timed boss requirements). But while I think the break mechanic is a cool idea, I think it's not balanced well at all. Particularly with brave orders. I think +break damage brave orders need a heavy nerf stick... maybe reduced to 30% power or so. though if I was a game designer for this game, I'd do only 50% and see if it was an improvement. I hate it when game balance people over-do nerfs/buffs to try and get it right the first time. Arte's were barely used in this game compared to every prior kiseki game. Doesn't help that nightgleam/the other one only buff by 50% while dominion buffs by 100% (not even counting the Taurus MQ!). Plus there are no lost artes. I mean I did use them sometimes, but they seemed to be kinda obsolete. I played on hard clean, and it seemed notably easier than normal mode cs1 and 2. Is there a secret harder mode than nightmare like oath of felghana? The hardest bosses in the game were the first 2 or so. blah.

while I enjoyed the stuff related to the old thors students, I 'm a bit bummed it is only a select few. For example, no beryl (though now I'm equally curious about Musse), no... uhh.. I forget his name. Ferris' older bother. No Ethal, no fencing president lady, no Piano noble lady (weird since Alan is in the game!) seem to have any content.

Nothing but negativity right! Sorry, just my style. I love the game, and I kind of have a mindset of 'everything is perfect but' with things I love, so that's why I come across that way. I don't actually play rpgs for the story, I think rpg game stories are weak compared to novels, and I read books for a story, not play games, but kiseki is one of very few exceptions. As I mentioned, I like world building and feel like CS3 isn't as good as it could have been via standing on the world built on CS1, sky, and crossbell. But cs3 introduces the series to a world-level-stake... I think 'evil big bad guy wans to end the world' to be a tired as fuu cliche that makes me roll my eyes rather than get pumped in an rpg. But Given CS3 is built on 7 prior games... These high stakes are earned. Will have questions next. probably not all of them, many tired and I th ink I missed some things.