Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

So not finished with Chapter 3 yet (just finished the night before Definitely the Final Day), but I wanted to mention a few things anyway:

- The gameplay really started to come together with the addition of Ash and Musse. Now I'm going around only using the students in 99% of battles, RPing like Rean only steps in when the students are in way over their heads (and also shouting orders from the sidelines). Feels kinda cool to only bring Rean out for special occasions, like the Stahlritter fight.

- Everything about the nighttime mission in Raquel was golden. Every moment. That out-of-nowhere comedy chase scene, Angie and Sara working off each other, Claire continuing her transformation into one of the most conflicted characters in the series, the freaking Jaeger King challenging the Ashen Chevalier to a Children's Card Game... it was pitch perfect. In fact, most of this chapter has been full of absolutely stellar moments like this.

- I kinda have a problem with the way Ash was written. Don't get me wrong, I love him as a character now, but it feels like the writers at Falcom took too many pains to make him unlikable in the beginning of the game. Yeah, I see what they were going for, a sort of "never judge a book by its cover" kind of thing, but I think it would have worked better if Ash wasn't quite such an enormous asshole to everyone at first. Like, not even in a "that guy's a piece of work" sort of way, but like in a "that guy goes out of his way to say the most hurtful thing in any given situation" sort of way. And he's not written like that this chapter - he's more just on the level of "that guy's a piece of work" when he's not in "jerk with a heart of gold" mode and he's great. I think if maybe he was still a huge mega-asshole to Rean in the first two chapters, but was a little less super-hostile to the other students, the transition to chapter 3 would have been a bit less jarring. All that said, I'm glad I like him now, because I kinda wanted to like him.

- Jusis and Millium have such adorable chemistry in this game. It's always so heartwarming when they're on screen together.

- I love that Hugo is low-key a villain now. If any of the students from CS1/2 would turn to the dark side, it would be him (or Munk, who we already know hasn't, or Beryl, who as we all know is actually the Grandmaster can't be the Grandmaster because Faye from ZCF is, but is probably like a witch or something).

- Having spoiled myself to... certain things, I always feel a bit of anticipation whenever Gaius is onscreen. When are we going to see what he's been up to? I mean, I already know at least part of it, but that's part of what makes me impatient to see. I was waiting for something to happen when he faced Arianrhod, but that would have been a bit early I guess.

- WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH MUSSE!?!? I mean, okay, yeah, it's pretty obvious at this point (as of the first night of the Summer Festival) that she's the daughter/granddaughter of the former Duke Cayenne's older brother. But just when I think that's all there is, it turns out something else is going on. Is she a vampire? Is that what's happening here? I'm getting vampire vibes from Most Likely Loli Hexen Grandmother, and now I'm starting to get the same from Musse. WHAT IS HAPPENING!? (don't answer that question)

On to the final day of Chapter 3, and I can already tell this is where things are gonna start to take a turn...

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  2. AttentionDeficitGuy

Now done with Chapter 3... gotta say, that may be a contender for my favorite chapter in the series. So many good moments, whether you're talking character moments, plot twists, comedy, drama, sidequests, gameplay moments... that was basically everything I love about Kiseki in a single chapter.

- The whole Juno dungeon was really cool. Playing as Aurelia was incredibly fun, and I loved that new Class VII really got a chance to shine. The final boss fight against Arianrhod and the Stahlritter was one of my favorite boss fights just ever.

- Kinda sad the only payoff we got for Musse was her being the Cayenne heir. I wanna know what the hell ELSE is going on, THAT GIRL IS NOT NORMAL, DAMMIT!

- It looks like there might somehow be even MORE going on with Gaius than the thing I was spoiled on, which excites me a lot.

- Duvalie backstory!

- I figured from when they were first mentioned in CS2 that George had a connection to the Gnomes (his last name is Nome, for Aidios sake), but that last scene still caught me by surprise. Also, I just found the whole gravedigging scene in general really cool and atmospheric.

3. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Well going with how all my first playthrough of the trails games have gone, I wont be getting all the AP for full rank. The extra ap for doing the vantage masters just comes up on you, and with it being a required section of the game and having no ability to go and play other people and buy cards I could not go the route for the +3 since my own cards were so weak. Ah well, not the biggest loss and gives me something to complete whenever I do my second playthrough.

Not sure how far into chapter three I am in, but on the second day on the island and I can tell things are about to start to ramp up. Don't have much to say right now but enjoying the chapter and seems like certain threads are starting to intertwine more. A few thoughts from certain scenes so far.

Mcburn up to this point has been shown to be this monster that will fight anyone just to go all out, but as soon as Steel asks for a duel so she could perhaps enjoy the breeze, he says no because he doesn't think he can win. Just goes to show just how powerful she has to be, especially considering how she then teases him about not taking to heart her sword lessons and all Mcburn does is pout. I do look forward to when I see her in the Crossbell games, but I do look forward to seeing her in action soon in this game.

I remember in CS II how LeGuin and Bardias felt tacked on with their very few moments of screen time, but having more time with them in this game I enjoy their characters more. For a while it felt weird how LeGuin wasn't showing her more battle hungry side but we got to see it again and see that side of her again. Liked the fight against Bardias and had to laugh at Ash trying to get under his skin. Bardias is way too chill for that but will still offer a duel to serve up some humble pie.

I didn't think much of it before, but it is starting to get really grating how any time Rean spends even a small moment with a woman everyone gets on Rean about it. One, he's an adult and two that is none of your business. Then there was the stuff with Elise that was going alright but near the end of her appearance I was ready for her to leave.

Was pretty cool learning more about Sara's and Claire's past. We knew a little bit about Sarah but learning about how she went from Jeager to Bracer was cool and once again we get really sad stories. Trails ain't kind to most of their characters with backstories. Then again, since it seems like half the continent is becoming uninhabitable not much room for happy stories.

This chapter definitely has some hints about certain revelations that I know of that comes later. Won't say what but some lines from various npcs definitely foreshadow certain things

4. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

So i just finished chapter 2, and did the into scenes of 3. I think Im the slowpoke tbis time around. Got like 60 hours played. Tbough prob like 5 afk. Good grief thats awsome!

5. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It's not that tricky to get max rank in this one it seems.
    I missed some stuff and still overshot by quite a few points.

Trails of Persona likes this.
  6. Trails of Persona

Now that you mentioned that, I think Cold Steel gave a bit more leeway to get max rank. CS I I missed all the hidden quests and a lot of the extra AP so I didn't get the highest rank, but in II I missed out on a little extra AP from certain fights but still got the highest Rank. Can't comment on Crossbell but I remember the Sky games locking you out of the rank if you missed even one it seemed like.

7. Ringwraith

It was specifically Second Chapter where A-rank only has 2 points of leeway, but then canonically they make it so you never reached that anyway.

CSIII, in addition to marking all the quests on the mini-map anyway, and often being pretty upfront about optional objectives, has like 15 or so points of leeway for max rank.
    Also, on a related note, you don't need a perfectly full battle/book/profile log to get the max rewards either. It feels very strange to get the top book reward whilst missing books, let me tell ya.

8. Trails of Persona

Finished chapter 3 a few days ago and been trying to gather my thoughts, before the chapter 3 stuff, just some small comments on the cutscenes that happen at the start of 4.

Well we have confirmed that Branch campus is indeed the better campus. They have Hugo and we got Becky so HA!

All the big revelations that happened I knew a head of time but the one that did get me is how the Emperor seems to know what Osborne wants to do and even knew Osborne had planned to do at the end of the civil war. Not sure how to feel about this particular fact right now. That said, before that we got a small bit of Olivert tidbit so I can't really complain right now.

Also, finally we see Thomas after over 60 hours of playtime.

So now my thoughts on chapter 3.

I'm not a huge fan on easy it is to break the game, making epic battles a little less epic. Arianhod from my perspective of only having played the Cold Steel games has been built up as one of the strongest if not the strongest in Oroboros, so much so Rean doesn't hesitate to call Valimar as soon as she appears. At the end of the battle it looks like Rean's party just barely pulled out the win, or barely got her on her knees, but for the actual battle it felt one sided as always. I know I could handicap myself for more of a challenge, but I feel like not using what given to me makes it easy for the boss to sweep me instead. Once again, doesn't completely ruin things but kind of spoils the moments a bit. I feel it would be the same if I fought someone when the Silver Will song started and instead of that struggle I had in Sky I just made quick work of that boss.

One of the best parts of the chapter is how I finally got to like Ash. The game went too hard early on with his snark and being downright rude all the time, so him showing his more caring side even if he didn't want to show it was nice. He worked well overall. Musse, while I knew her deal before the game even started, I like how it lead up to the revelation and knowing it I could see certain hints and other small things leading up to it. I'm not a fan of her constantly hitting on Rean, but at least there's more going on with her than just that so I can't bring myself to hate her character. Though that moment she tries to use a spell on Rean to basically have control of him went way too far and I was not a fan of that. Also, had to laugh how this person almost no Noble knew about until she came in had no problems making her the successor to the Cayenne house. She gets an applause all for just coming in after her Uncle(?) made a fool of himself from the attack on Ordis and Juno.

The more I see of Rutger the more I like him. He's laid back and acts like he's too old for stuff, but behind that lies a beast that few could take on. That confrontation in front of Juno was pretty intense and the climax with LeGuin coming in was really cool. That said, once again the bloat of these games are starting to rear its head a little. It is really cool to see all these characters and plotlines come up and see just how connected it all is. At the same time, there's a feeling that because of that we don't get nearly enough time with a lot of these characters. Rutger pops up for a little bit and peaces out, and Azure just shows up for bits of time before just leaving. This could be rectified by the end of the game but with all there is to cover there would be no way to give enough time to everything without killing the whole pace.

I found myself really liking the stuff with Duvalie at the end of the chapter. She praises her master all the time but for the first time we see her a but hesitant after seeing the divine knight summoned she never knew about. Also getting a little backstory of all 3 Stahlritter was really nice.

Finally, that scene with George was well done and pretty tense even though I knew of it ahead of time. I do have to wonder if George is like Crow where he has been lying all this time or if George is being controlled in some sort of fashion.

While I have some nitpicks overall with the chapter it was definitely a great one. Thankfully the pacing of the game has been working really well, as well paced as Sky FC and CS I, which is understandable since it's more of a build up to the next act and those games usually don't have much going on that feels like padding to me. Looking forward to actually starting chapter 4 here tomorrow.

9. Ringwraith

The game isn't built to be too hard on Normal.
    On Hard a bunch of the bosses can give you trouble as they get more turns.
    Of course this is if you don't tinker with equipment so much you make someone unstoppably broken, which is always an option and the game's cool with you doing if you figure it out.

10. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Im playing on hard with my usual self imposed challenge rules which include no sbreak use beyond timed boss kill things that kinda require it (havent seen any yet in cs3). The first 2 bosses were pretty tough but after that I havent had amy issues. There a particularly tough chapter after the early parts?

11. Trails of Persona

Maybe it's because I usually break the game early and usually don't have trouble, but the times I lose it feels like the game punishes you for not breaking it. The early keep bosses and a few monster quests took me down hard if I gave them a single inch. Though I suppose if I did do the self imposed limits I would find a way to not get annihilated.

Speaking of the keep, there was a certain scene that happened early on that I had to stop for now to put down my reaction.

We get the scene where Tita talks about why she came to Erebonia and get an look into her thoughts about Renne. I started crying it was such a beautiful scene. Especially after 3rd I wanted the best for Renne and even though I knew things turned out well for her in the end, seeing how Renne and Tita become such close friends just hit me straight in the heart. When falcom gets an emotional scene right, it hits you really hard.

12. Ringwraith

Tangent of thoughts time: kinda bugs me how this game clearly didn't get enough time still, even though it's one of the better things NISA's probably put out for a while localisation-wise, as the localisation tends to get iffier the further you stray from voiced scenes (which mostly absolutely nail it), and even around some voiced scenes, (who's this "Intelligence Agency"?).
    It's pretty clear to me they didn't set aside a lot of time for testing it, as there's some obvious gaffes if you play through sequentially, like in a mandatory scene where someone refers to something as "upcoming" when it's already happened.
    Also, good grief I'm thankful XSEED mostly purged the random chuckles from the script that Japanese likes to use as they do not work in English for the most part, and they're all over this game. It's a minor thing you can't stop noticing after a while.
    There's some random dialogue that's completely mangled and some weird word choices at times, ("I must reset my thinking" is a good example of something that didn't get proofed enough).
    Although NISA seems to just hurry people from one project to the next, so although this is better than some previous things they've done, it's unlikely to get much better, which is a shame.

You have to come prepared sometimes. And classic early game problems of not having a wide array of tools mostly tends to happen there, you definitely get more options quite quickly to help before it gets tricky again with tougher bosses.
    Although S-breaks often aren't actually that useful except to last-ditch attempt a break/kill, as they don't have good break values and not getting hit really hard is very important.

13. AttentionDeficitGuy

That scene got me, too.

Renne's story arc has just overall been one of the surprise highlights of the series for me. I think on her side of things, seeing what little bit of her we could all grown up is what really got me - it's such a little thing to visually indicate a character (literally) growing and moving on, but so effective.

And dammit, you haven't even played Crossbell yet, have you? I'll not say any more than if this got your waterworks flowing, you've got a real big cry coming when you eventually get to those games...

Hmmhmm intensifies...

For real, though, while I overall think NISA did a pretty standup job with the localization here (easily on par with their "redone" version of Ys VIII, and probably the best non-XSEED Falcom localization overall), I'd be lying if I said those little niggles didn't niggle me a bit, too.

14. Ringwraith

It's definitely in the details, the more you stray off the main story and voiced bits, the wibblier it gets.
    An Intelligence Agency line event got into the voiced ones if I recall. (Though they're pretty consistent about being wrong in that segment).
    Also definitely picked up at least one item that doesn't do what it says it does, which is a bit of a testing oops. It's fairly unique so it's notable it's wrong.

When it's good, it's good, but it's not as consistently good as previous ones has been, and all signs point to being rushed as the cause.

15. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I noticed the referring to kilika as a he too. But little more. I wonder how much is people thinking something is an error when its actually on purpose like the line of "who needs an invitation when you have a patrick" or whatever.

16. Trails of Persona

That Patrick line is the best line of the game, nothing can top it!

So for a while Lenora has been my favorite of the students of the Branch Campus, I like her background and her interactions with the various students which she is trying to push them forward in the right direction. She also has that determination in her that is quite admirable. However, she just slid into second place because after doing Sandy's quest on the first field day in chapter 4 she serves you the best thing one could ask for.

Serving up that background info on Olivier/Olivert was a very nice surprise.

Getting near the end of the first day of chapter 4 and been enjoying the chapter so far. There was that one fight in the free day that was giving me a hard time but then on my 4th try found an easy win button because certain orders are just so broken.

Sarah's ability allows everyone to go again and with how fast three of my members were, I could just Spam Sarah's command and continue to attack both Victor and Aurelia in their broken state.

I'm a bit surprised how long I'm taking with this game, because I'm used to speeding through these at the longest in a few weeks. I think my days of sitting down for 8 hours to power through a section of the story is gone now, as even on my off days I commit maybe 4 hours tops over multiple sessions. At least allows for a shorter time between finishing this and the release of Zero translation.
    I have not played Crossbell but I do know of at least a few scenes involving her that will probably have me drowning in tears. I'd like to say knowing what happens will help me, but in my replays those emotional scenes still hit me like a wrecking ball so I will just embrace the tears.

17. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Just finished Chapter 3, found the boss to be underwhelming in challenge. No S-breaks used, and I don't really have any broken combos, just kinda used crafts, casted a couple heals and speed drive a few times, etc. My overpowered guest character even got sealed just after doing their self-buff, and I had to self-buff again after because it got neutralized by the boss, after that, I was surprised the enemy party was already half dead despite the long and powerful self-healing buff they had, so once my op guest character got to attack finally, I think they only got 2 attacks in before the battle was won. On hard mind you. I guess Rean simply breaks the game with true gladiator belt. Basically has the cp to use his powerful crafts with little downtime, especially if you use inspiration or whatever it's called.

One thing I noticed is alot of the old class 7 lost like 1/3 of their crafts, and some of the good ones got nerfed. Alisa's cp boost thing for example no longer gives you that effect, and Elliot's hp per turn h eal also got hit hard. Gaius' crafts seem to have been buffed though. Was really surprised how wide a ray his first move is now.

Also is there some kind of use to cloak that I'm not aware of? Cloak abilities always seem to be really terrible to me. Waste a turn, and use cp, just to not be targetable for one action? I don't even think it works on area of effect spells they are in, I forget.

18. Ringwraith

Invisibility moves usually have very little delay, so you get your turn back very fast anyway.

It's still not a hard game if you tinker with equipment and find some powerful combination. They're really not designed to be that tricky.

19. AttentionDeficitGuy

Stealth effects are very situational, in my experience, but if you use them right they can let you survive very powerful arts, crafts, or s-crafts without losing momentum. I found it a lot more useful in Ao than in the CS games, though (I dunno if I'd have been able to beat Ao's final boss without a lot of strategic stealth effect usage).

20. AttentionDeficitGuy

... Shit, people weren't screwing around when they said this cliffhanger might be worse than Sky FC's. This ending was like...

... like if SC had ended with the Aureole waking up and plunging Liberl into total orbal shutdown...

... or if Azure had ended with the arrest of the SSS...