Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Finished Chapter 2! Dem random thoughts!

- It was really cool to visit Crossbell again, however limited it was! I'm hopeful that we'll get to explore more of it in CS4 (though the number of NPCs to talk to in just half the city was still Crossbell arc PTSD inducing).

- I'm warming up a lot more to Ash and Musse. I still think that Ash is just too much of an asshole to be likable, especially on first impressions, but there were more moments in this chapter that I enjoyed (for some reason his "oh shit" reaction to McBurn not going down on Stargazer Tower was hilarious to me).

- Juna is best character. I'm a little concerned that this chapter will turn out to basically be her arc for the entire game and she'll drop out of focus from here on out, but I hope that's not the case.

- I really like Rufus now. Like, not as a person, he's a pretty despicable human being, but I was never super interested in him as a character before. Now that the series seems to have settled on making him a proper antagonist, though, he's quickly become one of my favorites, maybe even up there with Weissman and Osborne himself.

- I'm so glad Olivert was playable this time around! It was almost certainly a one-off, but that's all I needed really. And something about putting on that white coat definitely brings out the more "Olivier" side of his personality. Also, it's really sweet that he's still thinking about Schera.

- I'm also glad that the game is in no way trying to hide that Siegfried is obviously Crow (I assumed we'd have another Swarzritter situation on our hands).

- Randy and Tio just always have such great chemistry. Every moment those two were interacting was gold, and I hope we see more of Tio before CS4.

- Speaking of SSS members, I was caught 200% off-guard when Lloyd, KeA, and Arios showed up at the end of the chapter. That was such a cool and touching moment, though it implies to me that they won't get a "proper" appearance in the Erebonia arc until CS4 - not that we exactly need more characters vying for attention at this point, but still a little bittersweet.

Also, given some of the revelations and implied revelations this chapter, I have a few crackpot theories of where the rest of this arc is going...

- First, a few of things about the Gnomes. First, I think their leader, the one who spoke through the eye thing, is Alisa's dad. She seemed to recognize the voice, a connection to the Gnomes would explain why Ouroboros sent Sharon to the Reinfords, and (as I'll address below) there appears to be a pattern of some kind between the Gnomes and at least two of the characters who've come back from the dead.

- Secondly: I think Osborne has some kind of connection to the Gnomes. They're almost certainly the ones who hired Zephyr and Rutger Claussell (who was resurrected), Crow is currently (has always been?) working for them, and he too was resurrected, and then there's the possibility I mentioned above of their leader being a resurrected Dad Reinford (whose name I forget and will not be looking up, in case my theory is correct). If so, then they probably also were the ones who resurrected Osborne after his assassination, implying they've been in on Osborne's attempt to usurp the Phantasmal Blaze Plan from the start. Whether he's working for them, or they're working for him, I don't know.

- Thirdly: I think the Gnomes run the Black Workshop. Altina also reacted oddly to their appearance, and if they are working with/for Osborne, then it suddenly makes sense why the Black Workshop seceded from Ouroboros' Thirteen Factories, and how Osborne obtained Millium and Altina.

- I do believe the game is building up to a full-scale schism in Ouroboros. On one side you'll have the more traditionally "evil" members (The Professor, the replacement Third Anguis, McBurn, Campanella, etc), while on the other side will be the more ambiguous/redeemable members (Vita, Bleublanc, Sharon, etc.). My two (rhetorical) questions, then: if this does end up happening, what side would Arianrhod and the Stahlritter take (I'd have assumed the "less evil" side, but after the in medias res pre-prologue to CS3, I'm less certain), and what side would the Grandmaster take (I've always assumed Campanella most closely represented the Grandmaster's will, but Vita seems convinced that in striking out on her own and being a nuisance to the rest of the Society, she's still being loyal to the Grandmaster...).

- On the Phantasmal Blaze Plan: I'd theorized ever since playing Ao that the plan had something to do with combining the powers of the Sept-Terrion of Mirage/Zero (Phantasmal) with the powers of the Sept-Terrion of Fire (Blaze). But this chapter then confirmed (several times) that KeA no longer has the powers of the Zero Child. Either way, there's got to be some sort of connection between the annexation of Crossbell and Phantasmal Blaze - it's something Osborne has been working toward and Ouroboros has seemingly at least been planning for. I think it's too early to discount the Mirage/Fire connection quite yet, but I'm less certain now than I was. Other theory, though: it has something to do with using the Aions as "artificial Divine Knights" to affect the Great Power (Sept-Terrion of Fire?) in some way.

2. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

I'm just a little into the first day of chapter 2 field stuff and a few things I have to say. One thing very important that was going to make or break this game for me.

First of all, you will respect Cerberus. Dog is so talented he will sell you stuff. I took a picture of Rean looking at the dog with the shop options showing, that's how much that moment floored me.

Got to say, I'm actually glad this is how I first get to see Crossbell. I know there would be a lot more references I would get but seeing it first after the occupation and not knowing stuff like Rean does makes it interesting for me. So far not lost on anything knowing nothing outside some major spoiler info from the crossbell games. Is the song that plays in the city the same one from the other games or is it a new one?

Last, and most importantly, it's BECKY!!! and NISA got the perfect voice for her. I can now play this game with peace of mind. I imagine that's all I will be getting with voiced Becky, but it was worth it. I made a separate save so I can hear her voice when I want to.

3. AttentionDeficitGuy

Oh, I'm very interested what your perspective will be like visiting Crossbell for the first time here! Glad to see you're enjoying it so far.

The song is different, but I can't remember if it's using a similar melody or if it's entirely original - the city themes in Zero/Ao are generally more upbeat than in CS3 (which considering the circumstances I think is a nice touch).

And yes, Cerberus is best dog, and also just generally best.

Trails of Persona likes this.
  4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I haven't played in several days...I'm getting cold feet. I'm in Ch 4 (just got to the field training part and got all the assignments) but as I get closer to the end, bits keep threatening. Feels like this could end really badly, and I don't want to get to a bad end. Especially with no CS IV localization yet in sight. I am starting to anticipate death. Really tragic death.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  5. AttentionDeficitGuy

Just got through the first school day of Chapter 3, and dammit I'm shook!

By that goddamn awesome letter scene! I mean partly, yeah, it was just a really great Rean scene, and partly because the pieces of his (and Osborne's) backstory are starting to piece together a bit more, but more importantly than that stuff, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE A TITLE DROP! I was curious for a while now what the "sen" from Sen no Kiseki referred to in-universe, given that Sora/Sky, Zero, and Ao/Azure all referenced something specific. Sen, it would appear (and if my understanding of the word's meaning is correct), is in reference to the seventh form of the Eight Leaves, "the blade that brings a flash of light to drive back the darkness." Gah, I geek out about this sort of thing more than is probably deserving, but dammit I just think it's cool!

The only thing I wonder now is this: so far the previous titles have all had at least one meaning that referred to something having to do with one of the Sept-Terrions. This... is kinda making my brain go a mile a minute with unlikely theories. I mean, it's very possible that this is just a breaking of the previous pattern, and that the seventh form has nothing to do with Erebonia's Sept-Terrion(s), but I can't help but wonder what if is does? Maybe Rean himself is a Sept-Terrion, or a piece of one (the ogre power? It has a flame motif, and in McBurn's case it actually creates fire, and signs point to Erebonia's Sept-Terrion being the Sept-Terrion of Fire). I have no idea if this theory is in any way true or even likely (it's definitely a leap in logic), but part of me thinks it might not be super far-fetched. Can't wait to see what turns up!

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I've passed the halfway point in Chapter 4. I'm not really into theorizing or getting into nitty-gritty details, so this is just my impressions so far. None of it is spoilers at all, imo, but just in case we've got a big range of spoiler sensitivity, I'll use a cut anyway.

My suspicions of a particular type of painful ending are deepening. :confused: Happy to have found a few things out for sure, though...I always find it a relief when a few loose ends finally get tied together.

Altina grew likable fairly early on, too, so that was nice; as soon as she started showing some personality, I liked her. I suppose it could be argued that she had some personality from the very start, but I didn't feel like she did, which was why I was so 'meh' about her. I haven't managed to grow to like Millium's new voice, though, because I loved the unique, gravelly-yet-squeaky, gleeful quirkiness of the original so much. For the most part, my impressions of characters have been reinforced throughout this game rather than changed, so I guess not a lot of what has happened has been beyond what I could have expected for the majority of them. It's like...characters I already like, I like even more, now, and characters I didn't particularly like, I like even less. But I don't think anyone has done a turn-around on me. Though there are a few characters I'm just frustrated with.

I normally don't really mind moderate harem-ing, but Rean's has gotten a bit out of control at this point, I feel. I love Rean...but enough has become a little too much, for me. There's just TOO MANY of them. And for a few minutes at one point in this game, it really felt (to me, anyway) like he DID have an official fan-club. That was awkward.

Man, I have such a bad feeling. I both really want to keep playing, and really want to stop. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get to the end from where I am, but I'm definitely dreading it. I hope I don't need therapy afterwards, cuz I can't afford any.

7. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

The mistakes become more noticeable as the game progresses, and its not just random typos. Linde refers to Cecil as a male doctor, George also refers Angelicas master as male too.

8. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Speaking of new voices, oftentimes in games people complain about young girl characters being too screechy or whatever, and I find myself completely unbothered. But that line tita gives you when you open up the shop dialogue. Holy hell is that screechy. Not her VA overall, just that line. Gah!

That and I dont care foe mint's english VO much at all. Also, im not one to notice these things but didnt mint get kind of a major bodyshape.... adjustment?

9. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Member

THANKS!!!!!!

10. AttentionDeficitGuy

Yeah, I kinda wonder what happened there. Brianna Knickerbocker is, from everything I've heard her do, an excellent VO, definitely one of my favorites in the anime/VG dub industry - but the delivery on her Tita shop lines are just borderline unbearable. I dunno if that was a directing thing, or an editing thing (part of the problem IMO is those lines sound super loud), or some other thing, but despite loving everything else about her delivery with this character, I dread every time I go to Tita for orbment purposes.

11. Trails of Persona

So just finished the second required quest for the first day in chapter 2. So mainly just some thoughts of what I've seen and done so far.

One of the things that interest me most playing this part is seeing some of the places closed (like the Bracers Guild) and a few buildings with signs removed where Juna comments (this was...). I imagine those who played the games know what was in those buildings Juna was thinking of, and it will be interesting to go into the game seeing what it was like before the annexation. Interesting that the RF building in Crossbell used to the IBC which feels like could be the biggest slap in the face for the people of Crossbell. While I don't know the stories of the residents (some I can guess have their own story in the Crossbell games), it is interesting to see how they each view the current situation. Some like Juna actively show hate, others aren't happy but they have to live and can't think too much about it (a lot of how most people in the world work), and others (mainly businesses) that welcome it to a degree.

I like Tio and feel the voice actor did a good job. She has that monotone voice, but there's just that hint of snark when she jokes that it makes her pretty endearing. From what I understand of my limited knowledge of this character this is what she was like, or at least became, during the Crossbell arc. Like with Randy, look forward to when I play the fan translation to get to see more of her. Speaking of Randy, that high five between Tio and Randy was just too precious, and interested to know more about this Woman that seems to be important to Randy but he can't quite admit it.

Was neat to meet Jingo's mother and considering how young Jingo is and how her mother is, I expect Jingo will level up to Mafia boss over time and be even more hard core than her mother. Loved how Jingo's mother talked about a sap who helps anyone out with no questions while staring at Rean. All in all from what I've seen so far there's a colorful cast of NPCs in Crossbell that I hope to see their early story arcs in Crossbell.

I'm a bit conflicted on Juna. I like her being the Crossbell perspective of the main cast and I like her interaction with the branch campus students. That said, her Tsundere tendencies are starting to get grating. Some of her interactions with Rean work, like in chapter 1 after Rean told Kurt he wasn't good enough to come along to help. However, there seems to be this back and forth where she respects/likes Rean to an extent but then the slightest thing Rean says or does pisses her off. I'm able to brush it off a little better since I don't find her voice grating like Alisa, but it's becoming a bit too much.

Speaking of Alisa, I was expecting be harsh on her reappearance and seeing Rean again, but I liked the scene. Part of it does come from how everyone teases her, but despite my grievances I thought the chemistry between her and Rean worked overall well. Though it once again solidified that Rean should've had a Canon interest instead of this pick and choose as a player because outside of Crow none of the other classmates had that chemistry that could be romantic. Also, the fact that Sharon is joining has me hyped.

On the negative, Aidios help me with Celine being back. I know I can criticize certain characters harshly but at worst with those characters (Emma) I don't really have an attachment to them. Celine is the one character I actively dislike. This solidified when Celine had to do a "not like I want to see him" when there was nobody around to hear her, only to remind the audience that this cat is really tsundere. This sucks in Emma's case because while I would like to get into her character, the fact that her being around means Celine will be around is a downer. Really wanted me to have Campanella just smite her from a distance to be done with it. Speaking of which, that little scene with him worked well with the voice, better than the one scene I know is to come later. Once I have more time to see him in action I will have a more solid opinion of his voice.

Overall enjoying the game and I think I can safely say this is better than CS I and II right now. At the pace I have been going I wonder if I will even finish the game by the end of the year. Oh well, these games are like fine dining where taking time to savor the dish is better than gorging through and finishing with regret.

Update

Finished the first part of the major task, and dang it Falcom, you know what you are doing and I don't like it at all.

You don't tease us like that by giving a small glimpse of that sexy Olivert then act like he's not there. This is like CS I where we see Olivert for a little bit and only much later do we get actual time with him. Hopefully we see him sooner here, and also get some time with Alfin as well. I am expecting to see them during the night of the first day or morning after the first night if last chapter is any indication. Also, Sandy is officially best student now, because she has impeccable taste.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Finished Ch. 4. Wow.
    That was an absolute treasure trove of exactly the type of info I'm most interested in. And it really feels like the enter series is being pulled together. It's really cool to see how it's starting to come together. But my worry about the kind of painful ending I've been imagining is intensifying...

On a lighter note; I've thought Alfin was a lovely, sweet girl for a while now, but CS III has further cemented that. She's a great princess and a wonderful friend, imo. She's a lot like Olivert.

I'm really not ready for the 'final chapter'. Even if NISA announced a localization of IV right now, I'm betting it won't feel soon enough. I just hope things don't go as badly as I fear. It's already kinda bad...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  13. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

the time gap between cs2 and cs3 was 3 years for both English and Japan, and 1 year for the previous games... CS3-4 was also like 1 year for Japan, so here's to hoping 3-4 wont be 3 years (or even 2) for us.

14. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for an 'only' year-long wait, which would admittedly be very short for this series, but will still feel way too long even if it came true. Unless the ending isn't as traumatic as I'm expecting, I guess. (Though no matter how it ends, I know I'm going to want to play the next game right away.)

Well, considering that I am beginning the very last part of the game, I guess it's time to express my overall impression of things. I've passed the opening of the final chapter, now, and I believe all that's left is the
    last dungeon, the Gral of Erebos.

This is about the last time I can say what I've been thinking before it is actually confirmed or disproven, so I guess I will. Though as of now, my hunch is already receiving more sign of coming true. Since chapter two or three, I've had this increasing feeling that Altina and/or Millium will die in the end. Was even a bit afraid that they'd kill each other, or that Class VII would have to kill them, accidentally or otherwise, though I don't know the likelihood of that. (Though death is meaningless, now. If the game has any reason to want to bring a character back, they have a system in place to do so. Really takes away the emotional impact when I'm thinking 'oh, well, they'll probably just be resurrected somehow.')

I wasn't expecting Ash to be at risk, too...not in this way, anyway, as the unknown orphan of Hamel and a possible sacrifice who was set up to become a villain. Even though I knew something was up with his eye and that he didn't have complete control of himself (I kind of thought his eye was a situation like Rean's heart/chest.)

Was NOT expecting Gaius to become a member of the Grahlsritter. Not overly enthused by that development, since I dislike all the church stuff. But I guess they had to give Gaius SOME special role, since he's really been lacking. I guess at least he got a power that suits him.

I was also knew (it was extremely obvious) that Professor Lughman was the Black Alberich, because if you see a wandering professor in this game, he's bad news (and the messy low-ponytail hairstyle is the same). But on the other hand, I had never even thought for a second that he was Alisa's dad. I'm still wondering if I understood that correctly.

George wasn't much of a surprise, because hey, the game has always been super obvious about his last name. Also, I never liked him, so I never cared about him. When I don't give a fig about a character, whatever they do, good or bad, tends to have little impact on me, unless it impacts a character I DO care about.

A lot of this has been awesome, but...I really hate the plot device of bringing about a cataclysm to wipe out (or 'reboot') humanity. It's just so overused and to me has always been so empty and boring as a driving motive for the antagonists. I can never sympathize with it or take it seriously.

I also still don't understand loyalty in this game. People are willing to support the Chancellor and the prince because...why? The main campus will support the 'ending of the world' just because it's not done, to defy the prince? And the Chancellor simply noticed that the Ironbloods were all very talented people and made suggestions to them, to use their talents, and that is what made them loyal to him? It doesn't feel to me like he did anything of significance for any of them. I don't get it. Why is Claire grateful to him? For suggesting she use her own talents to get revenge/justice? He didn't help her with anything. She did it all herself. This seems to be true of Lechter and Rufus as well. Though Rufus, at least, seems like he's of like mind with the Chancellor and that's why he fell into his group. Claire doesn't seem that way, though. Even Lechter doesn't quite.

Well, I'll have to play the game a second time before a lot of the details sink in. There's just too much information to process in one go, for a scattered and selective brain like mine. I'm also not really factoring in anything to do with septium veins or Aidios or Sept-Terrions or any of that stuff, because, well, I don't care about them, so information about them just sort of goes in one ear and out the other, because it isn't interesting to me. (It's like when my bro-in-law starts to talk about cars or my dad about forklifts or other farm equipment.) So for now, I have no sympathy with or understanding for the Ironbloods or anyone following Ouroboros or the Black Workshop, excepting only those created by it, since they probably have it programmed into their bodies somehow.

Even though I quite like Claire. I wish her loyalty to that old buzzard made more sense to me. The man has NO appeal...no charm whatsoever.

Basically, a few things have come out of left field for me, while others were so entirely expected that it felt formulaic. And even though we've gotten a LOT of backstory and explanations at last, some people's motivations are still something I don't understand, and I'm not sure if I missed some important detail or if I got it all just fine and I simply can't sympathize. Though I'm enjoying that the story feels more cohesive as the ends are all being drawn in.

Overall I do love the game, even if it sounds like I don't. It's been a lot of fun spending time with this cast, and this game has been really rich in character development. I just have certain tropes I find really tiresome and CS III has thrown a few of them into the mix in a big way. But the overriding plot has never been what I play for, anyway.

EDIT: Done now. Can't really think of anything reasonable to say at the moment. I need to let all that settle for a while, but I think I'm mostly angry. Not sure if that's how they wanted the players to feel, or not.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  15. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Hence the meta joke made in-game of "it's been only 18 months but it feels more like three years".

16. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

Did anyone else experience slowdown issues ? Particularly in ordis and rhe ch 4 dungeon. I had never experienced slowdowns on more graphic intensive games with my ps 4 slim before this game. I purchased the game physically so idk if that may have caused it.

17. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Reans dorm room has some chug. Probably his mirror. I notice all the other mirrors dont work.

18. Trails of Persona

Finished up chapter 2 and have some thoughts on everything that happened in the chapter.

Everything with Olivier/Olivert was pure gold. I actually knew this chapter Olivier was playable since I've seen bits and pieces of the game and knew the part where McBurn and Campanella were around was when he became playable. Talking to everyone and seeing who could tell right away who Olivier was made my day. I loved the little animation he did when you stood still for a bit and something about seeing him sitting in the sidecar I loved. Best moment for me was his message to Lechter with him ending it with the gun sign and a wink. That little image melted my heart. It was a blissfully short time spent with him but I loved every minute of it.

I still don't love it but after having actual scenes with him I'm ok with Campanella's voice. I think when you've built up a certain voice in your head for characters that came from games where they didn't have one it can be hard to accept them when it doesn't really fit into what you imagined.

I liked Juna's arc in this chapter, but not exactly a fan of how she knows everyone from the SSS. Feels like it would've been more effective to be a fan but not really know most of them personally. Minor detail overall but it still stuck out to me.

Does look like the game is pretty much spelling outright what is going on with Siegfried. I remember seeing a picture of the character back when Japan was doing their press stuff for the game and that's all I needed to know.

So my impression I had for this particular chapter was this was going to be one of the parts you really needed to have knowledge of the Crossbell games to enjoy fully. I'm sure there would have been a lot more parts that would've had a bit more impact knowing the references, like where the stuff with Tita and Olivier talking about Liberl stuff. However, it seemed mostly just a wink of hey, this is something that happened that you would know more details about having played the past games, but the game did enough to give a general idea of what happened and what you needed to know. The part where Juna begged for Crossbell back was very well done and the sentiment behind it was built up well enough that the Crossbell games weren't needed to make it a good scene.

For a little while it felt like perhaps this game was fine as a starting point if someone wanted to start here even if not playing the prior cold steel games. In some ways I think it could still be ok, but by the end of this chapter there were a lot of flashbacks to various parts of the previous games, some with no context, and a lot of mentions of the infernal castle that I feel would leave new players lost.

All in all, it was an enjoyable way to see Crossbell for the first time. It was interesting for the first impressions to be based off of an occupied state and not back when it was getting ready to proclaim its independence, and hearing bits and pieces of what happened during that time really makes me want to fill in the gaps of knowledge. If anything, it felt like it was hitting me on the face too much with trying to give context to everything or talk about people and events. I don't have an exact example it just felt like the game at one point just kept giving info and info dump about stuff.

Anyways, onward to chapter 3 with, ugh, Celine now with us

I would love to do speculation stuff in my spoilers but since I know the general beats of what happens in CS III and IV I can't really do that since I know what to expect for mainly end game.

19. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Im in chapter 2 crossbel atm and every time I hear the BGM I hear Ys8's volitonal decision track =p

20. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

Well, the journey is done now to wait for end of saga. Seems like i missed some treasure chests, a fire master quartz, some enemy entries despite scanning everything i fought and Kenneth's 2nd note entry but I ll leave those for my nightmare play through in a month or 2.