Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I think my eyes were going to roll out of my head when that sexual harassment case happened.
    I don't think you're meant to find it funny, considering the context, but it's ridiculously unnecessary to say the least. It is indeed, gross.

And they had unique animations for that! Ugh.

Kikki likes this.
  2. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

I think the answer is still two playthroughs, enough to see every bonding event in NG+. That's just a guess, but it seems likely to me - I've noticed that bond levels and combat link levels are separate, so I'm guessing you get to max bonding level with a given character just by seeing most/all of their bonding events.

Kikki likes this.
  3. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Are character levels of new party members something that scales to your own level? Like, when you join up with
    three of your Original Class VII buds, will they automatically be the same level as you? And is Agate always gonna be two or three levels higher when he first joins, or is each person's level fixed? Agate's level was 21 when he joined my party but I only had Rean at level 18.

If the levels are fixed, I'm thinking I should probably fight a little extra as I'm journeying. I tend to rush past enemies when the story gets interesting because I just want to get on with it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Well just got to that harassment scene and yeah it's pretty bad. I heard stories about the character that did the harassment, but this was worse than what I was expecting.

I thought Shirly was going to be a more blunt version of Angie where she commented on breast size, which while an annoying trope is better than actively assaulting someone. Bad enough Duvalie gets shit talked now she has to deal with harassment. That definitely soured Shirly for me and not sure if I'm going to be able to enjoy her character now.

On more positive notes, nice seeing Elliot doing a concert and definitely dig his design. Happy that he found the path he wanted to take and is starting on it now. Obviously it was totally a coincidence that he arrived around the same time the school did, nothing suspicious about that.:rolleyes:

Also, since books from time to time give important information on characters or places, I feel that I know which book series is going to be very important sometime later down the line but I just don't know how.

That book about the Tomato is definitely going to come back up again in a big way, I just know it;)

Seems like you don't get nearly as much septith early on. I've done lots of battles and I've barely been able to open up slots. Might be to make up for the fact that there are less members to worry about, since in CS I you switched put with a lot of members so they needed to drop more to be able to allow man characters to keep up with their slots.

5. AttentionDeficitGuy

My memory has decided to fail me as soon as I started typing, but I think it scales - I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember when I got to that part Rean was around level 20, the old Class VII members' levels were about the same as Rean's, and Agate's was a few levels higher.

Yeah, I like Shirley here quite a bit more than in the Crossbell arc, but that intro's a hell of a way to poison the well with her right off the bat. Bit of a shame since other than her tendency toward... well, that, I think she's a great villain - fun and chilling at the same time. Fortunately that's the only scene of its kind in the first chapter, and hopefully your second impression of her (and of some of the actually funny moments between her and Duvalie) will end up being better.

Kikki likes this.
  6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Just a bunch of general stuff, no story spoilers here.

Finishing Chapter 1 and starting 2 has been super fun...lots of the frivolous little bits of info and character interaction that endears these games to me more than anything else. Bits of colourful character-specific dialogue and so on. Plus the story has, imo, picked up quite a bit. I'm surprised how many strings are being crossed and tied together already. So much is converging that it keeps making me wonder about whatever arc (Calvard?) comes AFTER Cold Steel is going to cover, and how it'll tie to what came before. Sort of feels like there won't be many strings left to tie old arcs to the new with the way things are going. But then...I guess this series is pretty good at constantly throwing in new twists.

I still don't like Major Michael. He's so one-note...nothing interesting about him at all, so far. The Aurelia lady (can't remember her title) isn't very interesting yet, either, imo. I like the Arcus II system tying all these different bits together, though, and that the cooking system has been refined a little...feels like some gameplay mechanics have been streamlined for the better. I like the gifts and responses, too. Though I keep forgetting to use the baths to get the bit of extra bonding points on most days.

So, from what I know, which isn't all that definite...this game has a prologue, four main chapters, and probably an epilogue? I wonder if that means that at the start of Chapter 2, I'm already close to 25% done. If so, it's going quite fast, so hopefully it's not quite that much.

I hope NISA already has plans to localise IV. :confused: (I'm not finding any problems with the localization at all...nothing is jumping out at me.)

EDIT: Still annoyed that I failed ONE quest because I didn't realize I could BUY one of the things I needed, and the quest ended up expiring since I was always out looking for it from monsters and chests and stuff instead. :mad:
    Also...it doesn't say so, or I missed it...but is Kairi Towa's sibling? Because he's barely an inch taller than her, suuuuuper adorable, and has nearly identical hair and eye colour to her. His hair is even the same texture of sort of light-wavy.

[​IMG]

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  7. AttentionDeficitGuy

I mean, that would totally invalidate my theory that Towa is actually a dimension-hopping Towa Kokonoe from Tokyo Xanadu, since that theory largely hinges on the fact that we never get any references to Towa's family or pre-Thors background, so I'm gonna shoot this theory down just on principle!

Although I also had the exact same thought.

8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I only have 6 recipes so far, but I'm loving the new cooking system as it's now super convenient to keep trying recipes until you get them all...I have all 4 variations of each of the recipes I have. I'm quite enjoying the side-quests at the start of this chapter. They feel really personal. The game keeps adding more side-bits I can do. The only one I dislike so far is that card game whose name I can never remember. I really hate that game, lol. Love some of the new NPCs, though.

Little side note: I don't even like animals, tbh, but this little Cerberus thing is awfully sweet. I don't want to give it back. Jingo is interesting but I don't remember her...guess she's new? Wasn't overly surprised to see Josette again, given that that delivery guy you see in the first chapter was from 'Capua'. She looks good.

EDIT: Has anyone got any idea what levels are good to be at for each chapter and/or by the end? Since the combat is not something I ever really like (in any game excepting only maybe Tokyo Xanadu) I always struggle to decide if I'm levelling up enough as I go along. Ordinary monsters are never a serious threat right now, but the battles can't just be breezed through, either, so I'm not sure.

EDIT 2: Is there any good reason why I need to continue playing this horrible card game? I REALLY hate it...it's not fun and it wastes so much time. Is it necessary to play to get something down the road? I've gotten all available cards so far but if there's no more point to this than there was to Blade, I think I'd skip it from now on.

9. Ringwraith

Experience is still scaled, so even if you're behind it's no biggie. (And you can adjust the difficulty freely from the options anyway).
    But it's usually pretty obvious what level you are "expected" to be by whatever guests join whom aren't clearly meant to be overpowered.

As with Blade, playing for the first time against party members is a mini-bonding boost.

10. Trails of Persona

I'll keep that in mind and hope later stuff makes me like her again. I like her design and the idea of how she lusts for battle can always be fun, but yeah that went to far. It also doesn't help that I really like Duvalie's character so outside of assault being terrible, having it done to a character I love just adds insult to injury.

Something I thought of, are hidden side quests one you have to look up or talk to everyone always, or will you find them with those green event markers that are new to this game? With the first chapter with how time advances I'm paranoid that something will change without me knowing and miss a hidden quest. I know Cold Steel was better about this than Sky, where in Sky very minor things could happen that would cause changes to NPCs and you could easily miss something (looking at you FC and getting that book at Haken gate).

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  11. Ringwraith

They've all been marked as far as I remember.
    You can miss the books, but they appear in the bargain bin anyway.

12. AttentionDeficitGuy

Okay, so I've reached a certain character's backstory, and am now questioning everything I'd previously assumed about a certain organization.

The character of course being Sharon and the organization being Ouroboros. Nothing about her backstory in particular, it actually seems pretty standard as far as Enforcer backstories go (almost a little too reminiscent of a certain other Enforcer's backstory, in fact), but an offhand comment she makes regarding the timeline of things caught me off guard: if she's to be believed, then Ouroboros was a relatively new organization back when she joined - meaning the Society is only two or three decades old at the oldest.

And, I mean, I guess the games never give any explicit reason to back this up, but I've always worked under the assumption that, in true Illuminati-style secret society fashion, Ouroboros was ancient - like at least centuries old, more likely as old as the Septian Church. But with the revelation that it might well be younger than the Orbal Revolution, suddenly a lot of my ideas around the Society and some of its ranking members are different. Like, Arianrhod is almost certainly Sandlot, that much has been hinted about as subtly as a mallet to the face, but I always assumed she was an immortal, and worked under the Grandmaster ever since her "death" in the War of the Lions, but maybe she actually did die 800 years ago and was resurrected sometime in the past 20-30 years in a similar fashion to certain other characters? If the Orpheus Final Plan isn't the culmination of centuries of manipulation and scheming, but rather just a couple decades of it, then the Grandmaster (or at least Ouroboros) couldn't have had a hand in manipulating events like the War of the Lions or
    the alchemists' attempts to make the Zero Child
    either.

Then there's the Orbal Revolution itself. I've long held a theory that Ouroboros had a hand in making the Orbal Revolution happen, whether Epstein was a member, or the Septian Church officials who gave him the go-ahead to study artifacts, or whether they were all just manipulated, but now I'm starting to wonder if the opposite is true - rather than the Society causing the start of the Orbal Revolution, that maybe it was the Orbal Revolution that caused the founding of the society (the timing sure seems to support that). And then if the theory that the Grandmaster is Aidios turns out to be true, then the idea of her founding Ouroboros to obtain the Sept-Terrions after, and indeed in the wake of, the Orbal Revolution, takes on a whole new meaning, like it may just be as simple as humanity is getting too close to the technology of the Ancient Zemurians and the Grandmaster is just trying to keep the Sept-Terrions out of their hands before humanity grows technologically adept enough to use them again and end up causing a second collapse (also assuming here that the Sept-Terrions caused the Great Collapse, which seems likely to me - as of the Crossbell arc, we're 2 for 2 in regards to Sept-Terrions' programming growing beyond their initial intended functions and that causing issues).

[EDIT] AND THE THIRTEEN FACTORIES! Almost forgot to mention those, and... well, pretty much everything regarding the Society's seemingly infinite resources - how did an underground organization just a few decades old manage to have the resources necessary to be as technologically ahead of the curve as Ouroboros, not to mention how these miracles of modern engineering are basically treated as being expendable. Also enough capital to consistently hire jaeger corps, and possibly even have one of their own? (I believe it's always been left ambiguous whether the Jesters were Ouroboros' personal jaeger corps, or whether they were just an already existing corps for whom Ouroboros were repeat customers)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I've finished Chapter 2, and my general reaction is that a lot of interesting stuff is happening, but nothing has been a game-changer so far, in terms of revelations. Except maybe one thing that received no fleshing-out, and therefore doesn't mean anything to me, yet. One character gave some backstory I wasn't expecting them to give, and another character took part when I hadn't been expecting them to, but...nothing shocking. It just feels like all the loose ends are being bundled up a little more tidily. Nothing revaeled about any branch campus students has been surprising yet, imo.

It's been super fun to play, though. It's not letting me down when I assumed it'd be my game of the year. And with at least two chapters to go, and the way these games always ramp way up toward the end...

Though I have decided I don't like Rufus after all. He was always just coasting by on his looks, for me, and they aren't enough to float him by any more, even though he's been pretty consistent all along. I feel more 'vaguely annoyed' with him, now. I hope the game makes me either love or hate him, by the end.

It drains my enthusiasm, how cheap 'death' is in movies, tv and games. Having someone die becomes meaningless when they all come back to life. Fie's 'dad' coming back was one thing I never thought of, but then, I think basically you can just assume that if someone dies in the game, they're going to make a comeback later. The only character I can think of now who has remained dead is Loewe. (And a bunch of NPCs who never really mattered, I guess. If they were never in the party or closely connected to a party member, they tend to stay dead. Or if they were very old.) Bringing the dead back to life somehow is so SO common that it's no longer ever particularly surprising.

I guess I can summarize by saying that everything has been interesting and true to form, but I haven't had any WOW moments. Just a bunch of 'ooh, cool' moments.

14. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

To be fair, what happened with Fie's dad was basically talked about in CS2- that the Zephyr guys were going to try and find a way to bring him back. So all this says so far is that they were able to find a way to accomplish their goal somehow.

15. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

That doesn't really change my feelings about it, though. I wasn't saying these things came out of nowhere, just that it's a plot device I feel is really cheap and overused (in almost all forms of entertainment). The other case has groundwork laid, too, but I flat out don't like that this sort of thing continually happens. The structure is there, for it to be a thing that can happen in these games, but...nothing really resigns me to it. It's why I can't keep watching The Flash, too, even though that also has reasons why those things are possible. It just takes away any emotional impact, for me.

16. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

My response is more in response to your 'is one thing I never thought of' really. They had seeded it before CS3 in a main scenario event of CS2.

17. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Lol, so you're arguing that I should have thought of it? Well, tbh, none of those guys are of interest to me, so I never bothered to think about it at all. I'm a VERY selective player. I'm looking for different things out of the game than people who make note of everything everyone says, or know all the lore, or etc. I have specific things I'm interested in and want to know more about, and the rest I just kind of ignore, or let float around in the background and then go 'oh, yeah, I sort of remember something like that' when those elements reappear in the story somewhere.

18. Trails of Persona

Geez, 20 hours in and only now got to finally save in chapter 2, this is going to be a long one. End boss fight was so easy I used the command to increase damage by 60% and after two crafts and 2 S-crafts the battle was over. So my initial thoughts on stuff through chapter 1 and the scenes after that before being able to save.

My one complaint outside of the assault is the whole Ogre powers stuff. I always forget about it but when Rean mentioned he couldn't control it my mind went "we going with this again?". His ogre powers in the first two games are brought up so briefly and development just happens with no build up that anytime the plot has relevance around it I just don't care. It's definitely the weakest aspect of his entire character and even if they expand upon it a lot that still means 2 games before of little exploring of it. On to nothing but positivity.

I was looking forward to Fie seeing her father after all this time and it was heart wrenching to watch. Fie's had moments where she's shown vulnerability, but this was the moment where she was on the edge of losing it. The voice actor did a great job getting that across. I wish they didn't have the opening spell out his name was Rutger. While at the time they didn't give the full name anyone who paid attention to the first two games would catch on right away. Of course, once you had Xeno and Leo show up any doubt or questions would be swept away.

The hamel stuff was really powerful, and definitely was more built up with previous knowledge. For those of us with knowledge of Sky it was pretty obvious that beyond that gate was Hamel and the build up to getting there was done quite well. With the arranged Hamel music and seeing the actual remains in person with the various toys and stuff found on the ground really hit home the tragedy even more with everything else we know. Plus add in how even Shirley was calm and subdued while there adds a whole new layer. All in all a great way to lead to the climax of the 1st chapter.

I like a number of small detail you could get from just talking to NPCs. The biggest one was finding Instructor Mary's home and seeing how her father and mother view her and what they want for her future. I do wonder if her and Makarov are really developing a relationship or if this is all a misunderstanding and they are just good friends. Outside of going into Hamel there was the woman from Parm that mentioned the tragedy and the mass that was going to be held on the anniversary of the tragedy. Also, one of my favorites was the story of the hotel and how Bleublanc went to steal a portrait and the manager just told a story about the painting instead of trying to stop him.

The new class 7 definitely stands out more having more time to focus on each one individually. I really liked Kurt's development in the first chapter and Juna being encouraging for them to break orders and do their own thing. A few things Ash did warmed me up to him and I am definitely liking Musse a good bit. I heard her stuff towards Rean can be annoying later on but her interactions with everyone else I enjoy so far.

Looks like chapter two will have Alisa, Emma, and Machias coming back, if the phone conversation is anything to go by. I hope to actually find something interesting about Emma this time around since the previous two mainly revolved around her coming from a mysterious background and once she revealed her reasons for being their she was sidelined completely. Alisa seems to be doing well and hopefully the rougher aspects of her character have dulled out and I can appreciate her more. She seems less high pitched so her voice hasn't grated on me yet. Not sure what to expect with Elise going forward but I was super happy for some Alfin time. Looking forward to my first time into Crossbell.

Also, I spied with my little eye a certain tomboy delivering something to out little gangster in Leeves.

19. AttentionDeficitGuy

So I got through enough of Chapter 2 that I got to hear the voices for two certain favorite characters of mine that hadn't yet been voiced (in English), so as the forum's resident dub aficionado, my reactions to them!

First of all: Tio! I think the VO (apparently Kayli Mills, the same who voiced Amelia in the dub of Re:Zero - neat!) did a fantastic job with her. I was kinda curious what direction they'd end up going with her in the dub, as having heard her Japanese voice before it's the kind of voice that doesn't always translate well to English. Surprisingly, the direction they went with was... basically just try to replicate her Japanese voice. And it worked much better than I would have thought! Mills does a great job portraying her as calm and monotone without making her robotic or losing her dry sense of humor.

If I have one criticism, it's that it sounds a little... off. Like the sound of the voice itself is kinda off - what it sounds like to me is that in order to replicate that ubiquitously "Tio" quality in her performance, the VO had to speak all of her lines really softly really close to the mic, and it just wasn't edited as well as it maybe could have been. But that is a huge nitpick from someone who pays attention to that kind of stuff, so it's whatever.

Second: Campanella! This one was bound to disappoint me at least a little, because during my replay of the series earlier this year it somehow got into my headspace to decide Campanella sounded like Matthew Kok (aka YamatoSFX, the voice of Kirito in Something Witty Entertainment's SAO Abridged), who has a very distinctive raspy, sort of androgynous voice. Zach Aguilar's take is less androgynous and more creepy child, but I must say I quite like it! Campanella strikes me as a very fun but also very difficult character to voice, since he's always on the balance between total control and maniacal glee, but damn if Aguilar's acting doesn't seem so far to portray exactly that!

In unrelated news, I've figured it out. I was wondering why everyone on the internet was saying CSIII was the easiest game in the series when boss battles on hard were giving me a rough time, but I've figured it out now.
    IT'S KURT'S DAMN BRAVE ORDER! Well, I guess that in combination with Juna's Brave Order and the Break mechanic - swap between Juna's Order and Rean's Iron Will order until you inflict Break status on the boss (shouldn't take long between Juna's Brave Order increasing Break damage and focusing on crafts with a high Break damage to begin with), then use Kurt's Order in combination with any craft that causes delay (including one of Kurt's own) and you can pretty much annihilate the boss's health bar without letting it do a thing. Perhaps needless to say, I've decided to ban myself from using Kurt's Brave Order before I turn the entire game into a cakewalk.

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Just a note for anyone who hates Vantage Masters as much as I do and decides to skip on doing it...there actually is a few AP dependent upon it at one point, so unfortunately, if you care about getting every AP, you need the best deck you can put together. Or at least a good master card. I'm just gonna give up on those extra AP this play-through. Ugh, I hate mini-games so much. There are reasons why puzzle, card and arcade-style games are not among my preferred genres...having to deal with them in an RPG always frustrates me.

EDIT: Gotta say, the older ladies in this game have the best stories. Imo, anyway. They were awesome.

EDIT 2: Thankfully I dislike seafood, so chapter 3 can't tempt me on that one. But it is making me want ice cream badly since we have some great stuff at our local dairy. I wonder what the special flavour was. I have no idea what 'aquamarine' is supposed to taste like, and I don't think our dairy has any blue ice cream. I have now spent too much time thinking about what flavour 'blue' would be.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019