Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

It arrived today 1 day before release, but I never received the shipping notice they were supposed to email me.

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  2. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

Mine just arrived minutes ago and my email confirming shipping only came an hour ago. I would love to start the game but unfortunately I don't have my set up ready to go:(

Will have to see if I can get my stuff set up somehow in my limited space or just have to wait until I get to my own space once this temporary living space is over.

3. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Guess what got delivered a day early? My CS3 CE :x

4. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I have ever had a game arrive early for me... Amazon Prime, despite us having like 2 FCs in my city alone, is almost never on time. Nice to the people who got their game early. I have not even bought Cold Steel 2 yet.

5. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

6. Trails of Persona

Just started and actually getting full context and scenes now outside of just snippets. Man, that one thing I talked about was even more beautiful than I thought.

I only saw the part with Rean and Patrick on the train when I made my comment about Patrick being more chill, but Aidios help me, I was crying with how they both complimented each other.

Being at the start of a new game I always forget how much I love the more laid back start of most of these games, where you can enjoy the small things until inevitably later in the game things get crazy.

Edit. Finally at the part where I start controlling stuff, and one little thing to add.

I don't know much about Randy, but I've already fallen for this guy for the few lines he's had. What's with these games and super charming guys?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Kikki and Cold_Steel_IV like this.
  7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

When I first saw the prologue, I actually got no impression at all off of
    Randy. But then I watched all of Zero and Ao, and I loved him. :) I'll probably get my game tomorrow, but I've been wanting to replay the demo for a fourth time even so, just to see him again now that I've seen the Crossbell story. Very interested to know how he ended up teaching at an Erebonian 'trash bin' of a school.

8. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Finally started playing! I only played through the prologue (and probably won't play any more tonight, since I got other things need doing), but I'm really liking it so far!

Biggest surprise thus far is Altina. It took no time at all for her to grow on me despite not liking her all that much in CS2. I don't know what Falcom/NISA/whoever did for this opinion change to be so immediate, but good job!

9. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Ghaleon's are waiting warmly still.

10. Trails of Persona

I can already see how this is the biggest game in the series, I'm 8 hours into play time and I have yet to actually really start the actual meat of chapter 1.

I just finished up where I can move around on the train. Liked the call back to the Capua delivery service, took me a moment to notice the hat the person was wearing but once I saw that I lost my mind. Was really happy that Millium reappeared so quickly and enjoyed every moment with her. The new voice works for her, but doesn't quite give that hyper active energy the original one gave her, but I still like it at least. While I know one or two small spoilers about Ash, I do wonder overall what his deal is with his attitude.

I am enjoying Altina more since there seems to be hints of personality, and it seems like where Milium was given room to express herself where Altina had to start doing missions right away she would be more stunted emotionally.

Love Jingo and Cerberus and so far the townfolks each are done fairly well.

Will most likely change much later in the game, but so far stuff that involves any references to Crossbell hasn't caused issues. At most it's like the other cold steel games where it makes me want to know more about what happened in those games but doesn't make me lost in the game. Randy is quite dandy though and I'm crushing on him so hard. The voice for him suits him quite well.

11. AttentionDeficitGuy

New Millium grew on me with all of her screentime in the early part of the chapter. I'd say I still prefer Ashly Burch's super hyper delivery, but Michelle Marie does a good job (once I got over the initial "bah different!" shock, anyway). Also, I adore how much interaction we got between Millium and Altina. I felt like there wasn't nearly enough in CS2. Kinda ties into that whole thing where Altina just feels much better written in general now that she's allowed to be more in-focus (also post-character development, Millium feels like an even better comedic foil to Altina than she did in CS2).

Also, one of the fun things about Jingo is she's actually a returning character from the Crossbell arc! The shop in Crossbell she and Randy mention is run by her mom with Jingo helping out, and she's every bit the tiny gangster there as she is here. I was so surprised and thrilled when she showed up because she's about the last person I expected to show up outside Crossbell.

The townsfolk in general I don't really have an opinion of yet, but already I'm loving the Branch Campus students as much or more than CS1/2's Thors students. It just feels like with fewer of them, and maybe also with the different perspective of Rean being one of their instructors rather than a fellow student, they all seem to have more distinct personalities and relationships right off the bat.

12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I can't contribute anything yet. :( (Though even from the demo I agree that the students of the branch campus seem more interesting than most of those from the original one.) Amazon screwed up on something. My game has been sitting in one of their trucks for two days or they mis-routed it or something. It's still not even registered with Canada Post yet. Apparently it ARRIVED at an Amazon facility just two hours ago. :mad: Probably won't get it before Friday, then. They swear I will get it then but I'm a bit dubious even about that much, at this point, since all the responses were clearly copy-pasted (often inappropriately.) Oh well, the later started, the later finished. Sort of a good thing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  13. Trails of Persona

That small part with Millium and Altina was really great and really helped make Altina a much better character because of that. My favorite part was where Altina said her specs are better and Millium makes her white eye face saying "Oh no you didn't":D

So Jingo makes another of dozen reasons to look forward to Crossbell. Being such a small little gangster, I feel there is only one appropriate pet for her. If there ever is a pc release we must mod in the goose from Untitled Goose Game as her pet. Between her and Becky we a good quota on awesome shop keepers.

So far I think there are equal number of memorable students between this game and the original cold steel, but being much smaller in scale student wise helps all of them stand out a bit more right off the bat.

Edit.

10 hours in and just got done with my first side quest for the first day (optional one). It's only now that I am really appreciating how much little info and references you can get whether it's in your face or more hidden if you aren't familiar with previous info.

So I did the cat side quest and the more obvious set up was having Shirly show up to help you find the cat. Her voice is quite good from that brief interaction and with Fie (woot) making a brief teaser for later in the chapter obviously she was going to be there due to their small little meet back before their two corps leaders clashed.

However, the smaller detail that many could easily miss is where you found the cat and the name of the abandoned store, which is Claire's last name. Knowing that there was some sort of accident can kind of connect the dots a little and know that she lost her family causing the business to close and then Claire eventually becoming an Ironblood. Nice little touch there

I really just want to dive more into this game but I am doing my best to just take my time and savor the game. I feel like in the past just rushing through the games the first time made me miss out on some of the smaller details and by the end there was regret that I finished so quickly. Though once the weekend starts I may have a harder time portioning out my playtime when I have nothing but time.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  14. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

Gosh, I missed Agate's S-craft spam every fight from sc and 3rd . Glad its still viable with Rean's master quartz.

15. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Juuust started, so not even an hour into the first chapter, but I love how smooth the animation is. I'm also really glad Rean doesn't wear his glasses all the time, because I agree with Kurt...they look awful. So far my impressions of key characters from the demo are being reinforced with what new material I'm seeing...but I'm not far enough in to have encountered any surprises. I'm finding that the students in the branch campus have much more unique appearances...I tended to get all the NPC students mixed up in the previous two games.

I'm quite bothered by having NO sound when people speak, most of the time...not even the mechanical sound that you had when text bubbles were being 'typed' out on the screen in the first two games. It feels so FLAT...feels less like they're actually speaking. Tried to see if there was an option for it specifically but there doesn't seem to be. :/

Fiddling with the volume controls...maxing the sound effects and minimizing the BGM and then putting my TV volume fairly high...I can just BARELY hear the text effect. Really wish I could make it louder.

EDIT: Finished the first day and was just walking around town, exploring shops and talking to NPCs...and the power went out for HALF A SECOND and rebooted my PS4. No reason apparent. *screams* Now I have to do all of the first day over again. This really drains the freshness out of the game.

I also hate when the PS4 scolds you for not turning the PS4 off properly. I can't control power outages, you stupid machine. If you held a charge for even TWO SECONDS, this wouldn't have happened.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  16. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Active Member

I've noticed that the localization has screwed up a few times by writing Tio's Aeon system as Aion. Doesn't matter if you've played Crossbell and know what's what, but could lead to some misinterpretations if you haven't.

17. AttentionDeficitGuy

And after playing up a storm the last few days, I'm finished with Chapter 1! A few a lot of initial reactions:

- There are just a bunch of little details here and there that Falcom did so well. The fact that Rean and new Class VII calculate EXP differently so Rean is always a couple of levels ahead, the designs of the new towns, Orvid showing up for no reason - a bunch of little things that I feel tend to get lost in all of the big things Falcom does well :p

- VIVI! She's my favorite student outside the main cast of the first two games, hands down. This kinda applies to all of the CS1/2 students who've appeared so far, but the character design team did a fantastic job of subtly aging these characters up (except for Mint, but I wouldn't have that any other way), and Vivi is probably the best example. I love her design, I love her voice, I love that she's still as Vivi as ever, I think it's cool that she's a reporter (which hopefully means she'll be the Nial/Grace/Norton of this game, meaning she'll show up a bunch throughout), and I also think it was a pretty cool storytelling decision that she and Linde have apparently each gone off to do their own thing. It's just one more subtle change that makes it feel like she (and Linde, presumably) have grown a lot since their first year at Thors (not that they didn't each do their own thing in CS1, what with the different clubs, but they were always sort of inseparable in the way twins are often depicted).

- We're seeing a lot more of the old Class VII right off the bat than I thought we would. First Millium in the Leeves segment of the chapter, now Elliot, Laura, and Fie during the field exercises. I was wondering how Falcom would handle juggling the old and new casts without making it feel like some characters don't get enough screentime, but I guess their solution was just to make a really LONG game (not that you'll hear me complain!).

- I love seeing the new Class VII interact off each other without Rean there - don't get me wrong, I love Rean, and I love the dynamic between him and his students, but there's also something great about seeing Juna, Kurt, and Altina work off each other without his influence. I hope we get a lot more of that in future chapters!

- I have no idea why I never considered the comedic possibilities of Duvalie being paired with Shirley, but here we are! These two go together about as well as... well, as Duvalie and McBurn (the poor girl just can't seem to do a mission with anyone halfway normal, can she?). Also, Shirley is every bit as terrifying once she gets going as she was in Crossbell. Also also, I think she was cast perfectly (I think I recognize her VO, but can't put a name to the voice).

- With the attack on the field exercise camp at the end of the first day of the field exercises, I think CS3 takes the record for the fastest a Trails game has gone from zero to 100 in terms of the antagonists not f*cking around. Also, just on a visual/graphical standpoint, I was super impressed by just how many archaisms Duvalie and Shirley summoned - it's the kind of thing I don't think would have been possible in CS1/2's version of the engine, and just another example of how Falcom's continued development of 3D graphics/animation/resource allocation skills is furthering their storytelling abilities.

- It's super cool how much old Class VII seems to have grown between CS2 and 3. Everything from their redesigns to what they're doing to how they carry themselves is perfect in that regard. Also, I never realized this about myself, but apparently I ship Fie and Elliot really hard.

- Juna is definitely my favorite of the new Class VII so far. She kinda reminds me of a slightly darker Estelle.

- It was really cool to visit Hamel, arguably the place where the entire story of the series kicked off (leading as it did directly to the Hundred Days War and thus
    Cassius and by extension Estelle becoming a Bracer, not to mention leading to Joshua becoming an Enforcer and Weissman's pawn)
    And now it looks like the game seems to be teasing a theory that I've held ever since I first played CS2, that Rean was also a survivor of Hamel - and judging by the very end of the chapter maybe Ash, too? That last part is just leading me down this whole rabbit hole of theories - the game seems to be implying Ash has an ogre power as well, is there a connection between Hamel survivors and supernatural abilities? Might that also explain why the Grandmaster gave Loewe Kernvitter, or why
    Weissman was able to give Joshua an artificial stigma?

- Adding a soldat ally to Divine Knight battles is the perfect way to shake them up and make them more interesting than they were in CS2 (and this coming from a guy who really liked the Divine Knight battles in CS2). Love it!

- I totally called the identity of the Jaeger King the moment he showed up (granted, it was probably meant to be obvious to people who played Ao, given that his introduction is very similar to that of a certain other jaeger's). The scene at the end of the chapter when he showed up... damn, that's got to be the first time I've heard Fie so close to emotionally breaking, and it nearly broke me too.

- At first, it didn't even register to me that the Jaeger King's Divine Knight was a Divine Knight - at first I assumed it was another Aion, but then I realized that I'm blind and yeah, that was totally a Divine Knight! Holy shit what? Did that have something to do with how he was resurrected? Does that mean Osborne's an Awakener, too? And who hired Zephyr in the first place? Not Ouroboros, evidently, so the only possibilities I can think of are Osborne or the Septian Church, and honestly I'm not sure which of those options I find the most troubling.

- How the hell has Ash not been expelled yet? Given he's been seen talking to Lechter more than once, I'm leaning toward a connection to the Ironbloods or the Intelligence Division, but that's about the only reason I can think of why Randy hasn't kicked the bastard out of school.

18. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Love the game, but really hating the card game they've introduced...such a tedious waste of time.

I don't like Millium's new voice so far. The voice itself is fine, though more nasal than I like...but it lacks that gleeful perkiness she always had before. Feels like a big part of the weirdness that was Millium is gone because of that. Altina is starting to grow on me a little since she was utterly flat before and uninteresting before, personality-wise, but she's starting to show a spark of life, now, with having to make her own decisions exhausting her and her sense of rivalry with Millium.

Juna is still for some reason terribly cute to me. Her behaviour is so weird. What's she got against Rean? I'd say she hated him, but I really don't think she does, and she's not a pure tsundere since she can show her appreciation towards some others honestly enough, so I'm not sure what her beef with him is, that makes it feel like she sort of likes/dislikes him at the same time.

I like Musse better now, too. I'd thought she was just attracted to a national hero, and as such her behaviour grossed me out a little, but to learn that she's interested in him because of what she's heard from/about Elise and Alfin makes her more likeable, to me.

Ash's attitude has gotten grating pretty quickly, though. What is his deal? He's so snide, and honestly it seems like petty jealousy at this point, but would he really dislike Rean this much over something so pathetic? Might be interesting if he really did have such a pitiful reason, though. But since this is trails, I'm betting his reason is more dramatic than that.

All in all, liking almost everyone, and really enjoying that I can keep all the students sorted out. I definitely find them more unique from each other even just in looks. Feels like there's more variety in hairstyles and features.

EDIT: Ah, one of the NPCs in Chapter 1 has the same name as me. That...never happens.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  19. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

So I got mt game yay. Did NOT play demo first cuz I didnt want to get hooked and be left hanging, even if only for a day.

Got to the part where I get to explore leeves campus. I like how different it feels but also am going to have a helluva time memorizing its layout.

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Brief rant due to CS III employing a gag I really hate, yet again. Why do games from Japan think it's funny or cute to have women grope other women? If any woman started squeezing my chest, I'd hit her just as hard as I'd hit a guy for doing it. Accidents are fine, but if it's deliberate, it's no less assault than it is if a man were the one who did it. I cannot see it as humorous. It's gross.

EDIT: Looks like I'm going to have to buy at least one costume DLC, cuz I do NOT wanna be seeing butt crack, thanks. Not even on a character I like.

EDIT 2:
    I'm finding it impossible to like Major Michael, so far. And at FIRST, I was inclined to think better of Shirley, as she's dropped the baby-talk (that's how I perceive it when the character continually refers to themselves in third person). And this game certainly likes to make things frustrating for Rean. Or he's doing it to himself; I'm not sure which. Both? Though I suppose he's always gone out of his way to make sure that no one thinks too highly of him. It wears me out sometimes, though. If you take all the criticism and antagonism without comment, Rean, I think it's okay if you sometimes take a little praise and offers of support the same way.

I think things are starting to happen...up until now it felt very routine, but I guess they started out during a small lull in events. Seems like they're gonna be stirring up faster from here.

I'm about to go off on a little side trip with 3 original Class VII members, I think. There are WAY too many people to raise bond levels with in this game. How many play-throughs is it going to take me to max them all?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.