Trails of Cold Steel III English Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by Cold_Steel_IV, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

Hello all! With some people getting their copies of Trails of Cold Steel III early, I figured making this thread now would be a good idea. I’d love to hear all your thoughts on the game and its English localization.

Please make sure to spoiler tag your posts with where you’re at in the game, so those playing or following along will know whether it’s fine to read your post as well. For example:
    Rean uses a tachi
    or
    Rean STILL uses a tachi.

Anyway, as some of you may know, there is a free demo released for Cold Steel III. This demo goes until the end of the Prologue, so if anyone wants, we could start the discussion with that.

After having played the demo recently, I’d like to share some of my thoughts regarding it (I’ll mostly be discussing the localization, as I am already aware of what happens in the game):
    Translation: The translation seems pretty good so far, in my opinion. I wouldn’t put it quite on Xseed’s level though; there were what felt like one or two awkward lines. NISA also could, and very likely will, put out a patch or two in the future that could potentially fix a few things. But overall it impressed me.

That being said, the Prologue wasn’t very long and had no NPCs. It is very possible the quality will dip the later into the game one gets. The NPC dialogue could also suffer, and from what I’ve heard, it is a step down from the main story translation. If the game’s localization stays at the same level as the Prologue, I’ll have very few complaints, but if it dips a lot when it comes to non-main story segments: side quests, bonding, NPCs, etc. I’ll be pretty upset.

Voice Acting: This is certainly a concern I had for CS III. CS I and II have my favorite voice acting of any games and I loved the voices of pretty much every character. My impressions based off the Prologue is positive, but I still have some concerns.

For our new cast, I thought Kurt sounded great, though he sounds like a mix between Rean and Jusis, so it’s a little hard for me to differentiate him from others going on voice alone. Not really a complaint though. Juna sounds a lot different than I imagine she would sound. She sounds a lot older than the other characters to me. It may simply take some time to get used to it, or maybe she’ll get more comfortable voicing the character as the game progresses. I don’t dislike her voice, I just hope I’m able to get used to it. Musse and Ash we didn’t get to hear much of, so it’s a bit early for me to have much of an impression.

For the new faculty, I think they all sounded pretty good. Randy sounds good from what I’ve heard, but I haven’t played Crossbell yet to get a good feel for his character or “voice”. I also really like Major Irving’s voice! For returning party members, Rean sounds great as always. Definitely older. Jusis sounds the same, and the others we briefly see sounded just fine. I actually have a small complaint for Valimar, though. He wasn’t recasted, but he sounds noticeably different. I didn’t even know whether Valimar was still voiced by the same person at first. Valimar had one of my favorite lines in CS II and his VA delivered it so perfectly, I really loved it, so I’m a bit sad they made him sound so different. I don’t think the change is necessarily bad, but I really don’t like it. I hope it grows on me.

Now for Agate and Tita: Agate’s voice sounds good; it fits his character and seems compatible enough to what we heard in the Sky games (I’d also like to mention that I love how they pronounce his name, as it is the same way I’ve been pronouncing it for the last 7 or 8 years. xD) .For Tita, well, I think I have some negative things to say sadly. In my opinion, she sounds like a completely different character at times. She obviously had a much higher voice when she was younger, but it feels like her voice is so much older than it should be, for me at least. When I first heard her voice in CS III, it was during the Einhell dungeon and I didn’t even know that was Tita speaking. However, when I first heard her voice before Einhell, I actually thought it sounded a bit better. I’m really hoping she starts to sound a bit more familiar, or that I’ll get more used to it.

Now for Millium, who was recast: I really enjoyed Millium’s voice in CS I and II and was sad to hear they changed it for CS III. My biggest concerns were that she would either sound like a completely different character, or would sound too different to CS I and II Millium. I’m happy to say that after just hearing that little bit in the Prologue, I think her new voice is great! My concerns for her voice are pretty much gone and I look forward to hearing more of her in the whole game. Her VA does a great job and she sounds pretty consistent with what we heard in CS I and II.

Now, there were two other returning characters, from CS I and II, that were re-casted. This shouldn’t really be much of a spoiler, but I’ll tag it anyway since they don’t appear in the Prologue:

Cedric and Victor Arseid. For Cedric, I’ve seen one scene of him talking relatively early on, and he really doesn’t sound much like how he did in CS I and II, though he does have the excuse of being older now. I once or twice felt like he sounded somewhat similar, but I really do wish he sounded at least a little bit more like his younger self; maybe he’ll sounds more like that later in the game? On the other hand, he sounds quite a bit more like Olivert now! I really appreciated that, then again maybe it’s just me, haha. Something of interest, Olivert and Cedric were both voice by the same person before, which makes me pretty curious as to why Cedric was recasted.
    I know that Cedric’s personality being so much different than it was in CS I and II are an important reason as to why he sounds different, but I still wish there was more of a hint towards his younger sound.
    Anyway, I think Cedric’s new VA does a great job, and I like that he sounds a little like Olivert to me. So this is really more of a nitpick.

Victor on the other hand... I’m a little more upset over. His voice may have been my favorite in CS I and II. His delivery made many of his lines stand out so much, for me. I’ve only heard that small clip from KillScottKill’s recent video. And while I don’t think he sounds bad or like a totally different person, his voice is really lacking the same way of delivery for me. Then again, it was only a short clip, so I may feel differently after hearing more of him.
    Also, with his lungs being damaged, there’s a pretty good excuse for him sounding different. I just really loved his previous voice. Victor had many of my favorites lines in CS I and II.

Now for a few of the newly voiced characters: I don’t really have too much to say here. Arianrhod sounds fine from what I’ve heard. I’ll need to hear more before knowing how I feel. I liked what I heard of Ines and Ennea so far though. There are three others I’d like to mention that were also shown off in KillScottKill’s video, though they also appear in some of the opening movies. I’ll spoiler tag them anyway, just incase.
    For Tio, I’m really not sure how to feel. Similarly to Randy, I don’t really know what her character’s “voice”, but I thought she would sound older, more like Fie. Her voice sounds younger/higher than I thought it would. I don’t particularly dislike it, but I can’t say whether I think it’s good or not.

Another character I’m not sure of is Shirley. It was brief, but I’m pretty indifferent to what I heard, actually. I neither disliked it nor loved it; I felt it was sort of a standard voice, to be honest. I’ll need to hear more. Campanella, on the other hand, I’m fairly certain I know how I feel regarding his voice. Right now, I don’t love it. Campanella felt like he had a sadistic,yet playful element to how he acted and spoke, but this voice feels like it would fit better for a character like Bleublanc. It seems like they focused more on the joking/trolling side of Campanella and neglected other aspects to, what I feel, is a multifaceted character. I’m really hoping he delivers and that what we’ve heard so far isn’t all there is to his voice.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. A lot of my concerns are things that are more nitpick-y or may simply require getting used to. I’ve also only heard a limited amount of the voice acting so far. How I feel regarding some of these things could change quite a bit after hearing more of the whole game.

EDIT: I had completely forgot to mention Patrick! I love how he sounds as well. Similar to Rean, he sounds older and more mature, but otherwise sounds like exactly the same character! I also like how much more he mellowed out, too.

To move a bit away from the localization aspect, I’d like to share a couple thought regarding the changes in gameplay.

Gameplay: It’s a lot easier getting used to the changes in selecting commands than I had thought it would be. It also helps that the game being turn-based means even if you press the wrong button, you can just take your time.

I like that Crafts are more expensive and I like the new Brave Order system; it gives an extra purpose to the Bravery Points and adds an element of choice as to whether you Burst or Rush or use a Brave Order. I do like the Break system, too, and Juna’s ability to change her style of attack and I hope we see more of this in the future. I think too many attacks cause too many statuses though. There’s a lot to keep track of and I find it hard to remember everything each Craft does and which ones do what. I don’t have much to say in regards to Arts. I like their animations a lot.

I do have two questions I hope someone could help answer. Some of the Arts in CS III looked like Arts from previous games, but they were called something else. For example, there was an Art in the Prologue, I think, that looked just like Shadow Spear from Trails in the Sky. Was the name translating differently, or was it like this in the Japanese version as well? Another question, involving Rean’s S-Craft this time: He says “Seventh Slash – Fallen Leaves”, but isn’t it supposed to be “Seventh Form”, or am I completely mistaken? He often shouts out his form before doing a Craft, so I’m a little confused where the “Slash” part comes from and why there are seemingly seven of them, haha.

Story/Characters: I really love everything to be honest. I enjoy the new cast and I like how they relate to everything and each other. Juna coming from Crossbell, Kurt being a Vander, Altina already knowing Rean. Rean being a teacher now and having to deal with being hailed a national hero and not wanting the praise, while also being hated for his involvement in Erebonia’s deeds and feeling like he deserves the scorn.

I feel the Prologue is actually shorter than CS I’s since you don’t actually get to walk around the town or campus. Overall I find this a very good and intriguing start to a very great and involving game.

So, those are my thoughts so far. I’m curios to hear what you guys think from what you may have played from the Demo/Prologue or from what you’ve seen so far, especially in regards to the story and characters. I know it’s a few days still before CS III’s release, but I hope you guys post your thoughts and impressions if you want to. I’d love to read them!

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the game!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Well, general impressions, then. I'm more apt to talk about the characters than anything else, so I guess I'll just stick with what I'm genuinely most interested in. I honestly don't know where the story will go in this game so I'm not ready to start speculating on that, yet. The demo made me really excited about getting to know the new folks, which I hadn't been, before...I'd been wanting to catch up with familiar faces most of all, until playing.

I love Randy and want to know what he's doing, teaching school in Erebonia. Kurt is a charmingly calm and reasonable guy, and Juna...well, I really like her, so far, because she's so peculiar. She is always acting like she's angry with Rean, yet not as though she actually dislikes him. Like maybe she even sorta kinda DOES like him, but just doesn't want to let on? Kinda hard to explain, but I think the way she acts is really cute. Sort of tsundere, I guess? (I hate rude/arrogant tsunderes, but I love the awkward and easily embarrassed ones.)

I have no feelings for Altina, yet, beyond my interest in her and Millium's shared history as part of the Thirteen Factories. I'm sort of glad she's there, though. I guess she's not really Rean's friend, but she's a familiar face. So along with Towa, it feels like Rean's not painfully isolated. Though it's possible that Altina is more of a threat than a support.

Curious about Ash and Musse, at this point...not enough known about them but they seem to get lumped together with the new Class VII at times, more than their other classmates, at least from what I saw in the demo. Of course I'm curious about their backstories and how they connect to Rean, since Musse is obviously a member of his fan club (not literally...I hope he doesn't actually HAVE a fan club, cuz that would just be embarrassing!) and Ash...er...well definitely not a member of the fan club, at least! He seems hostile beyond anything that could be explained by simple jealousy, even though what he seems to hold against Rean is that Ash thinks he's a glory-hound and a player. But why should that make him so angry? Since this is Trails, there must be more to it, and I look forward to finding out what that is.

I wanted to punch Osborne in the face when he referred to Rean as 'worthless'. WHY are all those awesome people (the core Ironbloods) following that man?! Claire, Lecter, Rufus...seriously. What do you see in him?? This game better not try to make me like that old warthog.

As for the new elements of the battle system, they were very easy to get used to, and I was surprised to see that there is a 'Very Easy' option. There's an option even easier than Easy? They must really be aiming for the just-wants-to-play-the-story folks. I have a friend who will probably be happy about that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  3. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

People getting copies early already? dang. I pre-ordered using amazon and they just sent me an e-mail saying they expect the game to be delivered between Oct 25th and NOVEMBER 5th! (despite me having a 2 day prime delivery service). I was hoping they were being overly cautious about their estimates, but yeah, kinda worried =P.

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I saw someone saying they'd received their copy a full TWO WEEKS in advance of the release day. :confused:

I ordered within an hour or two of it going up on amazon.ca and got a similar estimate. (Mine is Oct 25-29.) Oct. 25 wouldn't be good, but it wouldn't be complete torture. Still, I think their estimates are always very conservative and figure I may actually receive it Oct 22-24. The last game I ordered said I'd have it on October 11, three days after the October 8th release, but I actually got it properly on release day after all, and I didn't order that one nearly as early on as I did CS III.

Hopefully everyone gets theirs within a few days of release. Two weeks later would be ridiculous! I'd have to cancel my order and get it some other way, if it was going to be like that. Walmart for example...I don't care to order from them if I have another choice, but I've never had them be late to ship.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

I got mine in the NISA store and they billed me 2 weeks ago but I haven received the shipping info yet which means I likely wont get it by the release date depending where its shipping from

6. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

From what I've seen, it's mostly been customers in Australia who've been getting it early - looks as though NISA Europe overestimated the amount of time it would take for shipping from the EU to AUS and ended up shipping things too early. Which is kinda ironic, considering that I'm pretty sure Australia has the latest "street date" for the game.

7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Aw, that's actually kind of nice. I was a bit jealous of the two-weeks-early person, but if Australia is getting the game early when they usually get it late, good for them! :) Enjoy the turnabout, Australia!

I also want to say that I feel they did a good job of making Rean look more mature (without substantially changing him...I think it's mostly that hairstyle) but not so much for
    Towa. She looks the exact same to me, except with different clothing. I guess the idea is that her looks will never go past about age 15? It was kind of funny to me when she was saying she hopes her new outfit showcases her...did she say 'womanly charm' or something like that? And her skirt is too bunchy, or they animate it weird or something...like it has too much fabric and it all lumps up between her legs as she moves. Not a serious complaint since it doesn't matter in any way, it just caught my attention because it looked so weird. Everyone else I got too brief a glimpse of to get a good feel for their new looks.

Also forgot entirely about a few characters who reappeared or have key positions...I have no opinion of Aurelia Le Guin or Michael Irving (whose name I had to look up because I couldn't remember it) and Schmidt is still someone I'd like to see get trampled by a runaway mech. Nothing was sparked for me by Agate or Tita, either, other than a vague thought that it was nice that they're still together. I should have felt curious about their presence in this game, like I did Randy, but I wasn't. My response to them being in the demo was just 'oh, it's them'. Maybe it's been too long since I last saw them, I'm not sure. I suppose I didn't have strong feelings for either of them in the Sky games either, though.

8. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

That explains the 2 week early stuff. I know NISA sometimes gets their games to buyers a little early but two weeks seemed insane. With all the good news I have the game preordered and it was already billed to me, but even if I somehow get the game early or even on time I wouldn't be available to start it until the weekend, and I may have to wait to actually start it. Doesn't matter either way because I plan on actually taking my time with the game to try to shorten the gap between games. May do a play session with my friend next weekend just to get a taste.

As for my initial reactions based on tidbits I've seen of the prologue

Was surprised to see Patrick show up so early and he seems to be on much friendlier and perhaps less Tsundere towards Rean? Perhaps he can confess to Rean how much he means to him.

Nothing stand out on Tita's and Agates voice but only a few lines I heard. Still put off that Tita didn't have that excitement in her voice seeing Valimar. Someone who get super intrigued by just blueprints not showing even a hint of glee at seeing a divine knight is just weird. There will be plenty more of her but just something that was noticeable. Knowing Erika, I fear for Agate's life being near Tita in another country. She's got connections and I imagine there's hit squads out there everywhere if he does the wrong thing.

Yeah, Osborne you being a deadbeat dad and a general prick you don't get to call anyone useless, much less your freaking son. As much fun as I have dunking on Rean or friends of his doing the same, I cannot condone you being a massive douche. You play dead for the whole Civil war and come out at the end when it's easiest to clean things up, you just a lazy bum letting everyone else do the dirty work. So why don't you look in a mirror before calling someone useless, you prick.

Biggest thing I mentioned before was I am extremely happy Duvalie's voice actor returned. She did a great job in her role in the second game and I can tell we are going to get more great moments in this one already. Poor woman can't catch a break though as everyone likes to dunk on her. I don't know why though, but I really want Angie to hit on her just because that would be hilarious in a different way. As for Arianhord, I like the little bit I heard and look forward to hearing more to get a more solid opinion. I can't remember their names but the other two Stahlritter sound great as well (also, please don't dog pile on me for spelling mistakes because I can't remember how to spell all of these and don't want to google every single time I make a post).

Biggest downer for me is that callback to CS I with the chest incident and having the slap. Hopefully it doesn't drag out like that game, and at least this one has the advantage of Juna not having a voice that's grating to my ears. Once again, only seen snippets of the prologue so this could've been a one and done thing not really brought up again.

I am happy that we start with such a small group to help build each character better. The first game had way too many characters at the start to make most of them stand out, so this should go a long way to help that.

Cold_Steel_IV and Kikki like this.
  9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

What for ME is a blissfully short response to just two things @Trails of Persona said. Not actually super short, though. :oops: Basically I agree with everything...I just especially agree with two points :)

That would be really, awkwardly sweet, if Patrick did that. :D I hadn't thought of it, but I'd love to see it. He sure did get mellow over time...and I like his new look, too. I really think Rean could afford to let Patrick near li'l sis once in a while...Patrick has turned into a stand-up guy. She could do a lot worse. Just how excellent does a fellow have to be before Rean will grant his approval?

Oh man, yeah...the whole chest-in-the-face thing was ridiculous both in CSI and now. I mean, it doesn't ruin the prologue for me or anything on that level, but it just doesn't make SENSE. Neither of those girls had any right to be angry. I understand being embarrassed, but it was an accident both ways so I don't think ANYONE really needed to apologize, but if someone did, in both cases I feel it should have been the girls. They LANDED on those poor boys (and nearly suffocated them!) And Rean was even trying to help Alisa. Honestly, Alisa and Juna were both helped...they'd probably have been hurt worse if they hadn't landed on top of someone else. What kind of person would go and SLAP someone for something like that?

But at least Kurt and Juna seem to be handling it fine. Juna got her smack in and seems content with that since there was no silent-treatment to follow. Thank goodness.

10. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

I had completely forgot to mention Patrick! I love how he sounds as well. Similar to Rean, he sounds older and more mature, but otherwise sounds like exactly the same character! I also like how much more he mellowed out, too.

11. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Despite not being in Australia I also got it surprisingly early (yesterday, even).

The smoothness of the animations and movement still freaks my brain out a bit, it has to be said. Good though.
    (I've also found someone put "Intelligence Agency" in the script a bunch instead of "Intelligence Division" and they didn't catch them all, one even ended up voiced, whoopise).

12. Vizardlorde

Vizardlorde Member

Where did you order it? I ordered from the NISA store and the game still has not shipped via regular mail 2 days before release day... Most likely I will not get it until the end of the week

13. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Wasn't direct as they always charge for postage. I'm a cheapskate if nothing else.
    But it didn't have to go far.

I imagine they'll send them out Monday to arrive Tuesday from NISA Europe's store for UK-based deliveries. Any further afield is out of my knowledge.

14. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Member

Got mine yesterday. Kinda wish I'd not played the JP version back when it came out, but I knew there was no way I could go 2 years or whatever and not get spoiled somehow. That said, being able to actully understand everything going on, rather than just reading the cliffnotes online is certainly nice!

15. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

I can't understand having blissfully short responses for this series. I enjoy the length of these games and with that I enjoy long responses to the games and other posts about the games, whether it's positive or negative. To me, blissfully short responses would be like blissfully short moments with Olivier, you want those moments to be as long as possible.:D

I'm glad you and Cold Steel liked my first little comment, was definitely the most stand out moment for me considering the first two games. Look forward to more of that through out the game.

Also, have to say video games have really shown that glasses can really make anyone look better. Persona 4 was the first game that showed that but after seeing some screen shots Rean really rocks those glasses. Only face accessory that looks better on people than glasses is eye patches:cool:

Cold_Steel_IV and Kikki like this.
  16. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

For me glasses is a first impression thing. They look perfectly fine on people who use them for the first time I see them, but once I'm familiar with their mug, adding them, or removing them is just wrong. The only person who can put on and remove glasses in style is that CSI Miami guy =P

17. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Glad no one cares, lol. I always talk too long about stuff I'm into, and Trails is so detailed...there's always a lot to discuss. Being succinct has more impact but you just end up with so much to say. But it's funny we seemed to forget that part of the demo when recounting what we liked.

I shouldn't have forgotten it, because Patrick was the first 'ooh' moment for me in the demo; the first bit of really obvious evidence of the passage of time and my first positive impression. Funny how it was easy to forget about him afterward. I hope he gets to properly show his cool side this time around. Previously it felt like whatever cool moments he had, happened off-screen.

I was wondering who Rean would approve of for his sister if Patrick is still an automatic 'no'. I mean, would Jusis be okay, or Gaius? If so, does that mean Rean just doesn't see Patrick as a friend on that level? Or is it just that he won't allow ANYONE near his sister, which would be a bit reprehensible, because he'd be actively feeding Elise's crush on him.

Or it could just be a running gag/plot device, of course, like the guy-gets-accidental-cleavage-faceplant thing. I suppose not everything has to have a deeper meaning.

I don't really like the glasses, personally. I'm fine with them in general, but not so much in specific, this time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  18. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Past Me: You know what, I should preorder CS3 from a brick-and-mortar so I can be sure to get the game by the street date without worrying about being at the whims of the post office, ain't that a clever plan?

Present Literally Everyone on the Internet: Hey, guess what got delivered early!?

19. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I don't think many people here have gotten it early. I haven't. Still no shipping notice. But as long as I get it by the end of this week, I'm okay with it.

EDIT: My copy from amazon.ca shipped. I should have it by Wednesday :) (Possibly even tomorrow on release day, with a little extra luck.) I'm perfectly happy with 'on time' rather than early. The longer it takes me to start, the longer it will be until I get to the end...and then have to wait for a painfully long time for CS IV.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  20. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I pre ordered using amazon.ca as well. No shipping notice here though. Bawwww.