Trails of Cold Steel coming to PC this summer!

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by nivora, Apr 7, 2017.

1. PasokonDeacon

PasokonDeacon Member

Falcom has outsourced to at least one other team in the past (beXide, who either did the 2D openings for games like Ys Seven and Sen no Kiseki or something else), so outsourcing for more time-intensive aspects like animation would make sense.

2. Naesaki

Naesaki New Member

I still shudder from the memories of how much the game slowed down during the festival on my vita copy. xD

Going through that part again on PC was pretty refreshing not having that slowdown.

3. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I had a lot of in the last area of the final dungeon of the first with battles almost reaching slide-show levels. On PS3 too!

4. Naesaki

Naesaki New Member

Can't really remember much of the final dungeon in CS1 on vita in terms of how it ran, I do wonder was the game really pushing both systems to their limits or it was just a case of it being a bit un-optimised? :confused:

CS2 though on my vita did run much more smoothly throughout the whole thing, never really had any noticeable slowdowns.

5. Ringwraith

It's a bit of both I feel, which is quite likely considering the renderer had to be almost entirely rewritten to put it on PC without running terribly.

The second game however has more scenes with lots of people in, which also causes it problems.

6. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

Also, as a reminder, CS1 was the first time Falcom decided to use 3D for Kiseki at the time. I would imagine that handling Trails/Kiseki in a 3D environment is far, far different from how you would handle Ys in said environment.

Naesaki likes this.
  7. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

Hmm, different, yes. Ys' gameplay would actually be more complicated to do from a technical perspective. Mistakes in animations, collisions, and the like would be much less forgiving in a Ys game, not to mention they would have needed more animations, nevermind ranged combat mechanisms. CS1 on the other hand is a turn based RPG, and the maps were to be frank fairly small. It was very evident a first time outing in a 3D world, and Falcom has obviously been building on it ever since.

8. Ringwraith

The places where it's worst are when the backdrops are very visually busy by constantly being animated with stuff, and when there's lots of people on screen.
    Both things that don't happen as often in Ys games.

9. KamikazeK-

KamikazeK- Member

10. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

Aaaand, just like that we'll be 2 games behind Japan again within less than a year. And that's just with Cold Steel. Assuming the PS4 ports are just literal ports without any additional content or voice acting, I don't see why they'd be a problem. All Falcom would need to do is implementing the English game script they already possess into the port. They wouldn't even need XSeed's help with producing it, just with publishing it.

11. Marukoban

Marukoban Member

Unless the ports got additional scenes and features, I think it's very likely XSeed would localize.
    They've already done the script so at this point the only costs they need to incur are just licensing and various administrative fees + marketing.

12. nivora

nivora Active Member

oh those pc ports are definitely going to be localised it shouldn't be a big effort probably. I'm more curious about how the port will look.

13. Esmelas Heart

Esmelas Heart New Member

I really can't see XSeed passing up the PS4 ports for the first two games, given that pretty much all of the work on their end is already done. I wonder if Falcom would be kind enough to leave voice hooks in the code so that all the extra lines that have been recorded for the PC versions can be inserted for the western release?

14. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

inb4 NISA moneyhat XSEED again and the west version get delayed for 6 months.
    That said I hope that if it sells well they won't put all their resources into porting old games on the Portstation 4, I swear 90% of my games are ports.

15. nivora

nivora Active Member

NISA gets the game, does not license the translation by XSEED so dies it all themselves again YS8 style with a new dub and new PC ports. What a fever dream.

16. Naesaki

Naesaki New Member

I can't imagine a more horrific nightmare than NISA somehow getting a hold of the PS4 ports for CS1 and CS2, and if they somehow snapped up CS3 and CS4 as well.... I think I would lose all hope in the gaming world.

17. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

It would also be as likely as Angelica sleeping with a guy, Sara spending a night in a liquor store without getting slammed and Sharon preparing a sucky breakfast.

18. KamikazeK-

KamikazeK- Member

Looks like that japanese ps4 version is due out in March

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-kai-ps4-launches-march-8-japan

19. uyjulian

uyjulian Member

20. Zerkion

Zerkion Member

New video by Durante:

This is incredible. It's something I've wanted to see on PC for a long time.