Tokyo Xanadu (Ps Vita)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nerroth, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

2. SpaceDrake

SpaceDrake New Member

Actually, the number Falcom is touting puts it just north of 100k. So I suspect that one is closer to reality. A very impressive reality.

As for the game coming to America... hm. Just as an observer, I'll say this: given those sales in Japan, I have no doubt Falcom and XSEED are going to be talking about it in the very near future, if they haven't already done so at length (and I kinda bet they have). Performance like that pretty much mandates discussion about exporting due to the strength of the game itself. And I'm pretty sure there's a lot of folks at XSEED who want to work on it.

Though, in the first place... the Vita is in a very odd position outside of Japan, particularly here in the States, what with SCEA openly calling the Vita a legacy platform (and that's damn near the fastest "legacy-ing" I've seen since the Virtual Boy) and I've noticed virtually every major retailer quickly phasing it and its software off shelves entirely. XSEED's had a few Vita titles this year (including Cold Steel coming up), and I know that in general the Vita has been very good to them, but getting vendors to even stock a Vita title at retail in 2016 or 2017 might be tricky, and I'm not sure a DD-only title on the Vita would quite cut the necessary mustard for a project of TX's scope.

And that's the second point: TX is, as I understand it, a Trails-scale project, so to make sure it comes out in a reasonable timeframe it's probably going to require a two-translator, two-editor team. So that's a pretty big resource investment up front... and granted, XSEED is hardly afraid of that at this point, but it's still a consideration and they need to make sure they can get enough staff freed up to work on the game for a while. And as a result, being Trails-scale means that making 2016, even if they started work now, would require more than a bit of hustle, to say the least. And the longer any release takes, the worse that first problem gets...

So the point is: while I'm absolutely certain a lot of folks at XSEED will want to bring this over, I would at the very least brace for some platform or release format shenanigans to make it work for this market. Being Vita-exclusive makes this one a little more complicated to release than other recent titles.

All that being said: if there's a way to pull it off, I'm pretty sure XSEED will by-god find a way. They're kinda Falcom fans over there at this point, if you hadn't figured it out. [​IMG] Just keep the challenges they face in mind as you ask.

3. novurdim

novurdim New Member

Wonder why people are STILL talking about that. It's not "official" or "openly", they retracted this statement on several occasions a long time ago. Yes, sony are bastards and idiots but not of that scale, I'm pretty sure sites like technobuffalo also share some of the guilt of destroying vita's image in the first place by jeering at every little thing. When all people do is often baselessly talk and talk and talk and talk about how horrible everything is, it will indeed become horrible. We live in an era of whining. Vita is not as failed yet as not being able to carry an exclusive anime game for another year or two. You are talking about scale as if it's a new CoD, TX's scale is smaller than Sen no Kiseki's, for which, pretty sure, vita will be able to carry most of the sales, despite the fact that big retailers have never even really stocked anime games for vita. I'm tired from endless doom&gloom "analysis" by every shallow passerby.

4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Sony can do whatever posturing it wants but the fact there's 0 first party support and absence from their reported sales figures are pretty good indications the platform is dead as far as Sony's concerned.

As far as a localization of TX goes, certainly under many circumstances I would see another platform being preferable as far as local sales go but that would most likely be dictated whether Falcom already has its eyes set on a platform port with more widespread appeal here. TX seems to be a hit so that certainly bodes well for a localization in either case, but eeeeh, it'll definitely be curious how this materializes.

5. asdronin

asdronin New Member

I hope you are right and Xseed has talked about localizing this, however the absence of an announcement is kind of making me have doubts, I mean the moment a game is decided to be localized is when first announcement is usually made so that people dont lose hope and interest in such game I guess, but there is no official announcement to bring this to the west right? also I dont know if we can say Tokyo Xanadu is smaller or bigger than a Call of Dutty, I mean of course CoD is very well known franchise in the west but that doesnt mean TX is small game compared to it, in fact I hear the CoD on the Vita wasnt really that great, please take no offense from this, I like some CoD too

6. manifla

manifla New Member

I hear lots of good things about TX, but after the test run of Trails FC on PSP, I have my doubts about Xseed distributing a game like this only on a Sony handheld near the end of its life (official or not).

But eh, we'll see.

7. kytos

kytos New Member

Even if Falcom does approach them to localize it, Xseed probably won't announce it until they're almost done with it like they did with Sen no Kiseki.

8. novurdim

novurdim New Member

I don't really like CoD but that isn't my point. What I meant is that this game doesn't need million sales which vita, of course, can't ever achieve. But neither can any other console, most of the vita's installbase are into anime games now for obvious reasons and it's extremely questionable if it would do better on any other console, just like with any other niche anime game. Which TX obviously still is in the West. But people always blindly follow "game journalists" and with how sony handles the situation (awfully and disgustingly), they choose the easiest way and simply start screaming about how we should take all games away from vita without really trying to understand the situation. Then some lesser minds listen to them, stop buying games for a "failed platform" and situation becomes worse, worse and worse. It's like cancer, for which I start to despise gamers. While vita could have been a stable niche platform, sony and especially people are furiously trying to stomp it into the ground with whatever silly arguments now circulate on the net from "gaming journalists" which in turn just want cheap clicks from another near-fabricated "vita iz dead" article that people oh so love. I'm very disappointed in the gen's gaming community.

9. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Ugh, I have to go to the post office and pick this up. <_<

10. asdronin

asdronin New Member

Yeah I totally agree with you, Sony handled the situation badly even if their numbers for the Vita were not so cool I think as you said the news for it being a failure spreaded before it was really a failure making people not wanting to support the system, not just gamers but developers too, I have seen many major titles announced for the Vita and later cancelled or just kept on hold forever, Im quite dissapointed with some gamers too, I see there are many videos on youtube and other platforms only ranting about how the Vita is a failure and blah blah without saying actual real facts like its not so failing in Japan or like they are still making games for it just not Sony, and only making the situation worst for the system that is still alive and receiving some cool titles, as you said these journalists or youtubers or whatever they are only want cheap clicks over articles people will enjoy and share over the internet. Some gamers should be so empty minded that they can follow what some sites or other people say against what they see and feel, I have heard many times that nowadays gamers are a lot cheaper and not as hardcore as gamers in the past I hope its not making gamers also think less and believe everything that comes from internet etc without thinking twice.

UltraKyu I envy you even more now, let us now how good it is when you try it =)

11. Kresnik2

Kresnik2 New Member

Can understand the situation with Vita in the west, but still, a game like this isn't targeting megasales and I'm sure XSEED know that. I'm still confident that Vita has enough owners in the west to make something like this worthwhile.

And this is easily my most anticipated yet-to-be-announced localization. Hope XSEED keep being good to Vita, because I'll keep buying your games (locally if I can through NISA, but I'll import otherwise :p)

12. asdronin

asdronin New Member

Yes I totally agree with you, maybe its not going to be a blockbuster title in the west but clearly will appeal many people so it wouldnt be money lost for the one localizing it,

As you said, I hope they localize it at Xseed, otherway people will be importing it, me included of course, losing plot is not a thing that I really want but better that than losing everything, so I hope there goes any news about the localization of this from Xseed